What's new

Vietnamese language on the rise in Japan

When I was a child, I can understand some Chinese words in Chinese film, but very little.example 保重 bảo trọng,兄弟 huynh đệ,陛下 bệ hạ...This is words that sound like Chinese because It is Sino-Vietnamese word. It is too small remnant the Chinese language affects to Vietnamese language now. Even Japanese can understand some Chinese writing document, but Vietnamese can't, except they learned. Cantonese accent same as Vietnamese.
The same has affected Koreans, too. Japanese kept a large set of Chinese characters and even created many, which were later imported back to China. It may be considered as a conflict between Chinese and the rest of phonetic world. Some countries, like Vietnam and Korea, took a all-out bet. Japanese, however, were smart. They bet on both sides. China, of course, had no choice.

wrong, Mainlanders can understand some Cantonese because Cantonese dialects has plenty of words that sounds exactly like Mandarin.
Not really.

Not really.
:lol: funny how you said you know nothing about Cantonese or don't understand any of it yet you make the assumption it sounds like Vietnamese. Guess you know what Vietnamese and Cantonese should sound like?

:lol: funny how you said you know nothing about Cantonese or don't understand any of it yet you make the assumption it sounds like Vietnamese. Guess you know what Vietnamese and Cantonese should sound like?
I didn't say Cantonese sounded like Vietnamese. I effectively said Vietnamese sounded like Cantonese since I knew little about Cantonese, and absolutely none about Vietnamese at that moment. That is why I said "untrained ears". Now, for sure, I can easily tell them apart.

Maybe you are lucky. You haven't met someone who is as rude as you are. If you cannot find such a person close by, you may want to look into the history, such as American history, when Chinese language was mocked and laughed at.
It is Cantonese that was laughed at by Americans, not Mandarin. All world make fun of Chinese by "ching" "chong". But few foreigners know "ching" "chong" are Cantonese. Cantonese does sound weird. Accept it.

The same has affected Koreans, too. Japanese kept a large set of Chinese characters and even created many, which were later imported back to China. It may be considered as a conflict between Chinese and the rest of phonetic world. Some countries, like Vietnam and Korea, took a all-out bet. Japanese, however, were smart. They bet on both sides. China, of course, had no choice.

Not really.
I hear one my friend said Vietnamese grammar same as Korean, and Korean is easy to learn as Vietnamese. From a person who knows the Chinese language, I feel Chinese language are not difficult, the most difficult thing for Vietnamese is Hanyi. I lost time while i have to remember them. For Chinese grammar, both of them are same maybe are 80 percent. Even I realize if I type Chinese, it is faster than the typing of Vietnamese. Some Chinese sentence are really difficult to understand, especially Chinese poems. I almost dont understand the meaning of these poems.

It is Cantonese that was laughed at by Americans, not Mandarin. All world make fun of Chinese by "ching" "chong". But few foreigners know "ching" "chong" are Cantonese. Cantonese does sound weird. Accept it.
Back then, I bet Americans encounter very few Mandarins. The largest encounter of Mandarins by Americans was probably in the Korean war.

I hear one my friend said Vietnamese grammar same as Korean, and Korean is easy to learn as Vietnamese. From a person who knows the Chinese language, I feel Chinese language are not difficult, the most difficult thing for Vietnamese is Hanyi. I lost time while i have to remember them. For Chinese grammar, both of them are same maybe are 80 percent. Even I realize if I type Chinese, it is faster than the typing of Vietnamese. Some Chinese sentence are really difficult to understand, especially Chinese poems. I almost dont understand the meaning of these poems.
I heard that, too. For people who are familiar to "subject verb object" way of speaking, like in English and in Chinese, that grammar (subject-object-verb) is just "insane"!!! haha. no offense. :)

I didn't say Cantonese sounded like Vietnamese. I effectively said Vietnamese sounded like Cantonese since I knew little about Cantonese, and absolutely none about Vietnamese at that moment. That is why I said "untrained ears". Now, for sure, I can easily tell them apart.

This is what you wrote
upload_2017-9-5_18-10-6.png

SEriously do you have to be trained? Even if one cannot speak / understand Cantonese, just listening it once only once and compare it with Viet language, one can easily tell it's a totally different world.

And the Americans making fun of Chinese language, that's Cantonese not Mandarin. In US, Europe the first settlers were Cantonese and Southern Chinese who speak other dialects. Don't you ever go to Chinatown in USA? Many should be speaking Cantonese and since you have a Viet buddy you can easily tell the difference. So give us a break about Cantonese and Viet language is similar. That's what some here wanted to make you believe that we share similar speech :crazy:

This is what you wrote
View attachment 423265

SEriously do you have to be trained? Even if one cannot speak / understand Cantonese, just listening it once only once and compare it with Viet language, one can easily tell it's a totally different world.

And the Americans making fun of Chinese language, that's Cantonese not Mandarin. In US, Europe the first settlers were Cantonese and Southern Chinese who speak other dialects. Don't you ever go to Chinatown in USA? Many should be speaking Cantonese and since you have a Viet buddy you can easily tell the difference. So give us a break about Cantonese and Viet language is similar. That's what some here wanted to make you believe that we share similar speech :crazy:
Of course, they have to be trained. They need to HEAR the sound of it and then be TOLD that what language it is. Before that, one gibberish is not very different from another gibberish. Some gibberish may sound different from another but who knows how many different gibberish there are in one language.

Of course, they have to be trained. They need to HEAR the sound of it and then be TOLD that what language it is. Before that, one gibberish is not very different from another gibberish. Some gibberish may sound different from another but who knows how many different gibberish there are in one language.
speak for yourself dude.

Form my experience, some Thai words actually sound more like Cantonese. I know some Vietnamese can speak our language perfectly but like you said "Vietnamese sound nothing like Cantonese".
Strange as i find Thai sounds like Vietnamese to me but not as high pitch as Vietnamese

If you know nothing about Cantonese as a Chinese then you better start watching and listening to this dialect and compare with that ugly language. Not even close, @grey boy 2 , @Jlaw and i can confirm it and we are cantonese.

That's your opinion
Come on, Vietnamese language sounds similar to Cantonese? you must be kidding LOL
Thats the 1st time in my life to hear such nonsense, we've plenty of Viets in HK, my relative own a Chinese restaurant there hiring 6 Viets taking turns as dishwasher since its a 24 hrs one, every time i went there through the back door thats lead to the kitchen to visit my relatives, i got the feeling someone is having a heated argument thats ready to explore and its only from 2 Viets having fun talking to each other:rofl:

Come on, Vietnamese language sounds similar to Cantonese? you must be kidding LOL
Thats the 1st time in my life to hear such nonsense, we've plenty of Viets in HK, my relative own a Chinese restaurant there hiring 6 Viets taking turns as dishwasher since its a 24 hrs one, every time i went there through the back door thats lead to the kitchen to visit my relatives, i got the feeling someone is having a heated argument thats ready to explore and its only from 2 Viets having fun talking to each other:rofl:
:rofl: quoted for truth

This is what you wrote
View attachment 423265

used to, but not anymore, almost all Mandarin now. or Min Chinese depending on which Chinatown. a lot of Cantonese speakers have spread out and new arrivals moved in.

Back
Top Bottom