What's new

Vietnamese language on the rise in Japan

Come on, Vietnamese language sounds similar to Cantonese? you must be kidding LOL
Thats the 1st time in my life to hear such nonsense, we've plenty of Viets in HK, my relative own a Chinese restaurant there hiring 6 Viets taking turns as dishwasher since its a 24 hrs one, every time i went there through the back door thats lead to the kitchen to visit my relatives, i got the feeling someone is having a heated argument thats ready to explore and its only from 2 Viets having fun talking to each other:rofl:
Viet actually means canton in chinese. Guangxi dialects are very close to Vietnamese northern dialects and many can understand each other. Early Chinese immigrants spoke different dialects of cantonese like hakka, taoshan, santou,and 潮州话。The hk cantonese and Guanzhou is mainstream, rural dialects are so different. Linguistically, cantonese tones are derived from moutain tribes of the aboriginals of the region. Thai, laos, Vietnamese and Cantoneseare are linguistically similar in tones. Mandarin spoken in China is actually a NE dialect that's broadly taught by Qing dynasty. Cantonese words and vocabulary resemble Han dynasty era.

Last edited:
Strange as i find Thai sounds like Vietnamese to me but not as high pitch as Vietnamese
I didn't explain well what i mean was individual sound (word), Thai definitely sounds SEA language if they speak a full sentence.

I didn't explain well what i mean was individual sound (word), Thai definitely sounds SEA language if they speak a full sentence.
Hardly anyone learns Thai. Viet language is even taught in Taiwan.
http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/aedu/201705280012.aspx

@TaiShang

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG
IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

I hear one my friend said Vietnamese grammar same as Korean, and Korean is easy to learn as Vietnamese. From a person who knows the Chinese language, I feel Chinese language are not difficult, the most difficult thing for Vietnamese is Hanyi. I lost time while i have to remember them. For Chinese grammar, both of them are same maybe are 80 percent. Even I realize if I type Chinese, it is faster than the typing of Vietnamese. Some Chinese sentence are really difficult to understand, especially Chinese poems. I almost dont understand the meaning of these poems.
Is Vietnamese structure also " S+V+O"? Same structure as Chinese? I know Korean is "S+O+V". Quite different with Chinese.

Is Vietnamese structure also " S+V+O"? Same structure as Chinese? I know Korean is "S+O+V". Quite different with Chinese.
Yup, " S+V+O", same as Chinese, but the Vietnamese is different with Chinese in some things like using "的" . Example in Chinese sentence: 我的学生, in Vietnamese we use 学生的我 for this meaning, at the first time It makes me confused

Yup, " S+V+O", same as Chinese, but the Vietnamese is different with Chinese in some things like using "的" . Example in Chinese sentence: 我的学生, in Vietnamese we use 学生的我 for this meaning, at the first time It makes me confused
How would you say "red apple"(红苹果)? Apple red? I remember Spanish is also n+a.

apple red, n+adj
As an English learner, I know that English and Chinese are very similar in language structure. I used to take it for granted. Now I know it's a coincidence.

Last edited:
apple red, n+adj
yes similar to french: pomme rouge

in german: roter Apfel

If anyone says Chinese is difficult then they haven't learned french and German yet. Hell. The article (male, female and neutral) to each word plus changing verb, object and the plural form make the hell perfect.

Viet actually means canton in chinese. Guangxi dialects are very close to Vietnamese northern dialects and many can understand each other.
Funny,which dialect can understand Vietnamese? Perhaps you mean Kinh people?Arent they Vietnamese people?and Viet means canton? Strange

Mandarin spoken in China is actually a NE dialect that's broadly taught by Qing dynasty. Cantonese words and vocabulary resemble Han dynasty era.
NE dialect?just because they speak mandarin?

If Vietnamese sounds Cantonese,I also can say the same to Japanese.since they both use chinese characters

Last edited:
Funny,which dialect can understand Vietnamese? Perhaps you mean Kinh people?Arent they Vietnamese people?and Viet means canton? Strange

NE dialect?just because they speak mandarin?

If Vietnamese sounds Cantonese,I also can say the same to Japanese.since they both use chinese characters
越国 and 粤 (广东广西/Canton province)is refering to the same geopolitical sphere in southern China.
China is diverse in linguistics, people move and languages change and that's just part of history. Shanghainess/苏北/宁波 coastal languages are monotone much like Japanese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics)
Unfortuantely thousands of rural dialects are now facing mass cultural extinctions through out China.
Vietnam has 54 ethnicity, northern Vietnam has many mountain tribes with linguistic differences and similarities to southern china. I personally know a couple of people from 北海 living in Canada who understand Vietnamese。

Last edited:
越国 and 粤 (广东广西/Canton province)is refering to the same geopolitical sphere in southern China.
China is diverse in linguistics, people move and languages change and that's just part of history. Shanghainess/苏北/宁波 coastal languages are monotone much like Japanese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics)
Unfortuantely thousands of rural dialects are now facing mass cultural extinctions through out China.
Vietnam has 54 ethnicity, northern Vietnam has many mountain tribes with linguistic differences and similarities to southern china. I personally know a couple of people from 北海 living in Canada who understand Vietnamese。
main-qimg-1570edec8f09d952f64e3bdc8f346040.webp

the history of Vietnam is a part of the Nam VietKingdom era which was established in 204 BC.

In 196 BC Nam Viet started paying obeisance to China and thus became a vassal state and that is where most people stop.

The Nam Viet territory spanned what is now known as Guangdong, Guangxi, and Yunan province of China, which also explains why the Vietnamese language shares a lot of terms and words with Cantonese language. An even more stark similarity is the family name of Vietnamese.

Just for reference, below are the top family name of Vietnamese.

• Nguyễn is 阮 and is common among Hong Kongers, Taiwanese, and in Chinese.
  • Trần is 陳 (Chen or Tan) and is the top 10 most common family name among Chinese.
  • is 黎 ranked 262 in the book of Most Popular Chinese Family Name
  • Phạm is 范 and ranked 46
  • Hoàng,Huỳnh,Voòng is 黃 and ranked 96 (top 10 mainland Chinese Family Name)
  • Phan is my surname 潘and ranked 43

Therefore, the modern ancestor of Vietnamese can be traced to Nam Viet Kingdom when the form was destroyed and its people assimilated into Nam Viet.

main-qimg-1570edec8f09d952f64e3bdc8f346040.webp

the history of Vietnam is a part of the Nam VietKingdom era which was established in 204 BC.

In 196 BC Nam Viet started paying obeisance to China and thus became a vassal state and that is where most people stop.

The Nam Viet territory spanned what is now known as Guangdong, Guangxi, and Yunan province of China, which also explains why the Vietnamese language shares a lot of terms and words with Cantonese language. An even more stark similarity is the family name of Vietnamese.

Just for reference, below are the top family name of Vietnamese.

• Nguyễn is 阮 and is common among Hong Kongers, Taiwanese, and in Chinese.
  • Trần is 陳 (Chen or Tan) and is the top 10 most common family name among Chinese.
  • is 黎 ranked 262 in the book of Most Popular Chinese Family Name
  • Phạm is 范 and ranked 46
  • Hoàng,Huỳnh,Voòng is 黃 and ranked 96 (top 10 mainland Chinese Family Name)
  • Phan is my surname 潘and ranked 43

Therefore, the modern ancestor of Vietnamese can be traced to Nam Viet Kingdom when the form was destroyed and its people assimilated into Nam Viet.
So Viet means 越,not canton.No doubt Vietnam has deep revelations with south China.Vietnam got independent too early,else another story.Vietnamese sounds nasally,very seriously,Cantonese not.this is the big difference.maybe some 土话also have this problem in Gianxi.how Vietnamese view"Vietnam"or"namviet"?
Korea family name too

Back
Top Bottom