What's new

Vietnamese language on the rise in Japan

Many of them are undocumented, since two countries share a very long common border and people can easily blend in especially in southern China.

60,000 Vietnamese attend Japanese schools and universities, while just few thousands Chinese. At the number people can see Vietnamese see Japan as a country of the future, where milk and honey are in abundance.

You are making up fake, imaginary numbers.

If you are really a Vietnamese (I doubt it), you are making a very bad impression of Vietnam -- out of your abject hatred of China.

And please cut short of making proud announcements of Vietnamese nail shops in Germany. This is worse than me sharing the stories of rural Karaoke bars in Taiwan that employ young Vietnamese girls and are frequented by old guys who often pick up young Vietnamese girlfriend or bride.

Japan Sees Uptick in International Student Population

International News
Apr 28, 2017

In 2016, the number of international students in Japan increased by 14.8 percent, as compared to a year earlier. Why? A big boost from students in Vietnam.

As per the Japan Student Services Organization, as of May 2016, 239,287 students studied in Japan.

Where did they come from? China made up the biggest number of international students at 98,483, an increase of 4,372 students from the prior year. Vietnam saw a 14,925-student increase, for a total of 53,807 Vietnamese students studying in Japan in 2015. Almost 50 percent studied at Japanese language schools. Nepalese students comprised 19,471 students, a 3,221-student increase.

About residents:

Japan sees record high number of foreign residents: Justice Ministry

BY SHUSUKE MURAI, Japan Times, MAR 11, 2016

The number of foreign residents in Japan reached an all-time high last year, the Justice Ministry reported Friday.

There were 2.23 million long-term and permanent foreign residents in Japan as of the end of last year, up 5.2 percent from 2.12 million people at the end of 2014, according to the ministry.

It was the highest number since the ministry began keeping data in 1959.

The largest group by nationality was Chinese, with 665,847 people, accounting for almost 30 percent of foreign residents in Japan, followed by 457,772 South Koreans and 229,595 Filipinos.

An immigration bureau official said the surge in foreign resident populations is linked to a government campaign to draw more foreign visitors, as well as signs of economic recovery.

“The number of foreign visitors in Japan increased dramatically last year . . . At the same time, we also have an increasing number of foreign residents” who intend to stay in the country for business or study, the official said.

Why few Vietnamese go only to China and why majority to Japan? Because we aren't called as monkey in the country of rising sun. Not in Korea nor in Taiwan. Anyway it is better to move on if thing can't be changed. We are not people that wish unrealistic thing zu happen. The incoming Vietnam festa in Tokyo and Kanagawa will attract more than half a million Japanese visitors. Unthinkable in China.

As of 2014:

"Where do Vietnamese students study?

The top destinations are Australia, the US, China, Singapore and the UK
, although over 60 different countries worldwide hosted Vietnamese students in 2015. English has become the dominant foreign language in Vietnam, with 98% of students choosing to study it over French, Japanese and German. Many students, therefore, seek English-speaking countries for their higher education."

http://www.studentworldonline.com/article/vietnamese-students-on-the-move/55/

I see quite a few Vietnamese people on my commute in Japan around Shizuoka, mostly laborers and some university students although university students are less obvious since they make an effort to learn and speak Japanese whenever they can and generally after a few years they have quite a good grasp over the language, so essentially they blend into Japanese society quite well, likewise with other East Asian people like Chinese and Koreans.

bro it´s all about spreading Vietnamese culture & civilization into sometimes non-civilized world. Vietnamese language is taught in many parts of the world, not only in Japan.

Vietnamese language has 5 tones, actually is much easier to learn than lets say Chinese since we send Han characters into historic trash bin. we use latin alphabets.

Regarding the Vietnamese writing language, personally I think Vietnam should have gone the route of Japan and Korea, well more so the overall hybrid style of Japan and the alphabet format of Korea.

One of the main reasons why Japanese is among my favourite languages especially when reading literature is the fact that not only does the Japanese language have Chinese characters, but also their own pseudo alphabet systems (two of them). This hybrid system IMHO provides a very enriching experience when reading because Chinese characters have a lot of deep profound meanings to them which also provides a lot of practicality especially in Science.

And used in conjunction with Kanji is the pseudo alphabet systems. I say pseudo because it's more of a syllabary than phonetic. The alphabet adds a lot of flexibility that the Chinese language doesn't especially when referring to foreign words or making new words (alongside with Kanji or without) which lessens a lot homonyms, Although Japanese still has a lot them and I think it's due to the fact that they started industrializing and opening up relatively late. Had they started developing into a modern nation state independently in say the 17th century ( or earlier if perhaps the Southern Song dynasty in China did not perish) then they probably would have wayyy less European loanwords and more time to phase out a lot of the homonyms, but that's a debate for another thread.

Of course it's already an enriching experience reading Hanzi on their own ( I studied Mandarin before moving on to Japanese which made Kanji super easy to learn because I had already learned up to 4 to 5 thousand Chinese characters by that point. Went all the way to HSK 5 before feeling confident to study on my own).

However, as great as the Japanese language is, the alphabet themselves are actually quite crap, the Korean alphabet on the other hand is far superior to the Japanese Hiragana and Katakana, I mean seriously why do you need two sets of them? I mean yeah one to differentiate native Japanese words from foreign ones but they should have just created a new proper phonetic alphabet from the ground up like the Koreans did a few centuries back and maybe add a few more sounds later on.

IF Korea decides to reintegrate Hanzi into their written language then in terms of reading and writing it would be superior to Japan, although I would still prefer spoken Japanese over Korean - I still love how the Korean language sounds though.

So had the Vietnamese gone the way of a hybrid system like Japan and had a alphabet like the Koreans, Vietnamese would have been among the best language for reading, at least to me anyways. This would have been far better than adopting Latin scripts because part of one's culture comes from the written language. The way writing systems develop depends on the culture, environment and even circumstances around them. Adopting something so foreign cuts off a lot cultural identity.

It's better for an Asiatic country like Vietnam to develop something on their own while not afraid to adopt something from a fellow Asiatic nation like China. Take for instance the English writing system, it came from Latin and then modified to suit it needs but it is still very well within the realms of Europe likewise Japanese and Koreans are within the realms of the Asiatic cultural sphere.

If I remember correctly, there was a Champa kingdom in Vietnam that used a Brahmi derived script that got extinguished by the Vietnamese and forced to use the Latin based script. Our Indian friends are surely happy about this historic fact.
Pls don't bring Champa here into the discussion.
You are making up fake, imaginary numbers.

If you are really a Vietnamese (I doubt it), you are making a very bad impression of Vietnam -- out of your abject hatred of China.

And please cut short of making proud announcements of Vietnamese nail shops in Germany. This is worse than me sharing the stories of rural Karaoke bars in Taiwan that employ young Vietnamese girls and are frequented by old guys who often pick up young Vietnamese girlfriend or bride.

Japan Sees Uptick in International Student Population

International News
Apr 28, 2017

In 2016, the number of international students in Japan increased by 14.8 percent, as compared to a year earlier. Why? A big boost from students in Vietnam.

As per the Japan Student Services Organization, as of May 2016, 239,287 students studied in Japan.

Where did they come from? China made up the biggest number of international students at 98,483, an increase of 4,372 students from the prior year. Vietnam saw a 14,925-student increase, for a total of 53,807 Vietnamese students studying in Japan in 2015. Almost 50 percent studied at Japanese language schools. Nepalese students comprised 19,471 students, a 3,221-student increase.

About residents:

Japan sees record high number of foreign residents: Justice Ministry

BY SHUSUKE MURAI, Japan Times, MAR 11, 2016

The number of foreign residents in Japan reached an all-time high last year, the Justice Ministry reported Friday.

There were 2.23 million long-term and permanent foreign residents in Japan as of the end of last year, up 5.2 percent from 2.12 million people at the end of 2014, according to the ministry.

It was the highest number since the ministry began keeping data in 1959.

The largest group by nationality was Chinese, with 665,847 people, accounting for almost 30 percent of foreign residents in Japan, followed by 457,772 South Koreans and 229,595 Filipinos.

An immigration bureau official said the surge in foreign resident populations is linked to a government campaign to draw more foreign visitors, as well as signs of economic recovery.

“The number of foreign visitors in Japan increased dramatically last year . . . At the same time, we also have an increasing number of foreign residents” who intend to stay in the country for business or study, the official said.

As of 2014:

"Where do Vietnamese students study?

The top destinations are Australia, the US, China, Singapore and the UK
, although over 60 different countries worldwide hosted Vietnamese students in 2015. English has become the dominant foreign language in Vietnam, with 98% of students choosing to study it over French, Japanese and German. Many students, therefore, seek English-speaking countries for their higher education."

http://www.studentworldonline.com/article/vietnamese-students-on-the-move/55/
you again with accusation me not Vietnamese. Don't you feel boring other people? Why don't I need to feed hatred if you yourself in person feed hatred against VN? You forgot your own comments? Actually I am a friend of China, I am talking to you. most Vietnamese have no interest of talking anything to Chinese.

You cited a stat of 2015. Check the stat of 2017. The world has moved on.

Pls don't bring Champa here into the discussion.

you again with accusation me not Vietnamese. Don't you feel boring other people? Why don't I need to feed hatred if you yourself in person feed hatred against VN? You forgot your own comments? Actually I am a friend of China, I am talking to you. most Vietnamese have no interest of talking anything to Chinese.

You cited a stat of 2015. Check the stat of 2017. The world has moved on.

If you are a Vietnamese, then you are making a bad impression of it, with which, I believe, most Vietnamese would disagree.

I am a friend of Vietnam and has never used personal insults against any groups of people, let alone Vietnamese. My stance is geopolitical, and on that front, I am pro Greater China, naturally. Hence, I am quite aware of my comments.

As for where the world has moved. You said: "60,000 Vietnamese attend Japanese schools and universities, while just few thousands Chinese."

This claim is outlandishly wrong and misleading. Twice as many students in Japan from Mainland China alone than from Vietnam.

About the top destinations for Vietnamese students, the world has moved on not much:

"The report the government submitted to the National Assembly on October 18 showed that 130,000 Vietnamese citizens now live and study overseas.

Of these, 38,000 students, or 29.2 percent of overseas students, study in Japan.

Meanwhile, 31,000 students are in Australia, which account for 23.8 percent of total overseas students. The US is also one of the favorite destinations for Vietnamese students: 28,000 students, or 21.5 percent, are studying there.

The other destinations include China, where 13,000 students, or 10 percent, are studying, and the UK with 11,000 students, or 8.4 percent."

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/ed...-abroad--but-few-foreigners-enroll-in-vn.html

13.000 students is not a bad number given that China is yet to be a middle income country. It is all about the level of development, not necessarily love or affection. People go to US, Japan or Australia because they believe they will receive quality higher education.

You are over-dramatizing by making false inferences of people's normal choices.

hope you get rid of Chinese words soon, like your family names, words like Vietnam and Hanoi.
Vietnamese try to get ride of all things Chinese, unfortunately they fail to pack the "nguyen" on the boats. Ironic they still worship the same gods as China with latin soup. Chinese history/influence is everywhere in Vietnam yet the nguyen dominated government propagate hate. I think much of the hate is because they know that White devils are easily driven out, but the Chinese in them are self destructive.

If you are a Vietnamese, then you are making a bad impression of it, with which, I believe, most Vietnamese would disagree.

I am a friend of Vietnam and has never used personal insults against any groups of people, let alone Vietnamese. My stance is geopolitical, and on that front, I am pro Greater China, naturally. Hence, I am quite aware of my comments.

As for where the world has moved. You said: "60,000 Vietnamese attend Japanese schools and universities, while just few thousands Chinese."

This claim is outlandishly wrong and misleading. Twice as many students in Japan from Mainland China alone than from Vietnam.

About the top destinations for Vietnamese students, the world has moved on not much:

"The report the government submitted to the National Assembly on October 18 showed that 130,000 Vietnamese citizens now live and study overseas.

Of these, 38,000 students, or 29.2 percent of overseas students, study in Japan.

Meanwhile, 31,000 students are in Australia, which account for 23.8 percent of total overseas students. The US is also one of the favorite destinations for Vietnamese students: 28,000 students, or 21.5 percent, are studying there.

The other destinations include China, where 13,000 students, or 10 percent, are studying, and the UK with 11,000 students, or 8.4 percent."

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/ed...-abroad--but-few-foreigners-enroll-in-vn.html

13.000 students is not a bad number given that China is yet to be a middle income country. It is all about the level of development, not necessarily love or affection. People go to US, Japan or Australia because they believe they will receive quality higher education.

You are over-dramatizing by making false inferences of people's normal choices.
you can believe to whatever you like. how about a stat of Japan Student Services Organisation?

800x-1.png

so growing trade with Japan

800x-1.png

you can believe to whatever you like. how about a stat of Japan Student Services Organisation?

800x-1.png

so growing trade with Japan

800x-1.png

You are misinterpreting, which is fine.

What I see is Vietnam getting prosperous thanks to VCP's smart governance.

Congratulations on your $30 bilateral trade. It slightly bigger than monthly trade volume between China and Japan.

You see, even big is a relative concept. Your trade is big relative to you. I do hope it gets bigger for both China and Vietnam and Japan.

Statistics on China-Japan Trade in January 2017

March 2, 2017 - 08:58 BJT (00:58 GMT) MOFCOM

According to the statistics by Japan Customs, in January 2017, Japan’s total imports and exports amounted to US$103.87 billion, up 8.2% year on year. Among these, the export was US$47.2 billion, up 4.3% year on year; the import was US$ 56.67 billion, up 11.7% year on year. The trade deficit was US$ 9.47 billion, increasing 72.8% year on year.

In January, the value of Japan-China bilateral trade registered US$23.36 billion, up 8.9% year on year. Among these, US$7.72 billion was Japan’s export to China, up 6.1% year on year, taking up 16.4% of Japan’s total exports, with an increase of 0.3 percentage point; US$15.64 billion was Japan’s imports from China, up 10.4% year on year, taking up 27.6% of Japan’s total imports, with a decrease of 0.3 percentage point. Japan’s trade deficit with China reached US$7.92 billion, up 14.9% year on year.

By January, China had been Japan’s second export destination and largest source of imports.

You are misinterpreting, which is fine.

What I see is Vietnam getting prosperous thanks to VCP's smart governance.

Congratulations on your $30 bilateral trade. It slightly bigger than monthly trade volume between China and Japan.

You see, even big is a relative concept. Your trade is big relative to you. I do hope it gets bigger for both China and Vietnam and Japan.

Statistics on China-Japan Trade in January 2017

March 2, 2017 - 08:58 BJT (00:58 GMT) MOFCOM

According to the statistics by Japan Customs, in January 2017, Japan’s total imports and exports amounted to US$103.87 billion, up 8.2% year on year. Among these, the export was US$47.2 billion, up 4.3% year on year; the import was US$ 56.67 billion, up 11.7% year on year. The trade deficit was US$ 9.47 billion, increasing 72.8% year on year.

In January, the value of Japan-China bilateral trade registered US$23.36 billion, up 8.9% year on year. Among these, US$7.72 billion was Japan’s export to China, up 6.1% year on year, taking up 16.4% of Japan’s total exports, with an increase of 0.3 percentage point; US$15.64 billion was Japan’s imports from China, up 10.4% year on year, taking up 27.6% of Japan’s total imports, with a decrease of 0.3 percentage point. Japan’s trade deficit with China reached US$7.92 billion, up 14.9% year on year.

By January, China had been Japan’s second export destination and largest source of imports.
Pls spare us your sarcasm. Without Chinese aggression and arrogance VN won't have lost 10 years in economic recovery, our northern provinces won't have been destroyed.

Pls spare us your sarcasm. Without Chinese aggression and arrogance VN won't have lost 10 years in economic recovery, our northern provinces won't have been destroyed.
US did much worse damage to Vietnam. We helped you to drive them out. China's support is vital for Vietnamese vicotry over US.

First Buddhism is from Nepal, nice try to steal Nepal heritage, learn your Indian script :o: and culture? :cheesy:...doesn't make any sense but adopting English as Indian official language is the reality.

The funny thing is Vietnamese send their Children to learn Chinese but refuse to adopt Chinese scrip, Japanese learn Vietnamese but still use Kanji...what the irony everything is turn around Chinese...both nations can't simply escape our gravity.
Both Japan and Vietnam still used chopstick to eat their dish. :enjoy:

That's because after your victory in 1975, you guys became too greedy, wanted to annex Laos and Cambodia to create a Da Viet. Chinese just made sure that would not happen.

Last edited:
That's because after your victory in 1975, you guys became too greedy, wanted to annex Laos and Cambodia to create a Da Viet. Chinese just made sure that would not happen.
wanting to repeat bullshit over and over again?
why not accusing us we want to enslave your people Chinese, forcing all men to work in cheap pho resto?

Vietnamese try to get ride of all things Chinese, unfortunately they fail to pack the "nguyen" on the boats. Ironic they still worship the same gods as China with latin soup. Chinese history/influence is everywhere in Vietnam yet the nguyen dominated government propagate hate. I think much of the hate is because they know that White devils are easily driven out, but the Chinese in them are self destructive.

It is quite complicated. During Vietnam war, North Vietnam tried to get rid of using Sino-Vietnamese words, like replace "phụ nữ" (women) by "con gái", while the South Vietnamese governments tended to promote using Sino-Vietnamese. For example: for air field, the South used "phi trường" while the North used "sân bay", which is still used until today.

And what are Sino-Vietnamese is also a headache, even for linguists. In many cases, a Sino-Vietnamese word is replaced by a less Sino-Vietnamese one, but actually it is still a Sino-Vietnamese word but more familiar with Vietnamese speakers, because there is no equal "purely" Vietnamese.

But nowadays, I see the trend on most Vietnamese media outlets to use more Sino-Vietnamese, even put the adjective before noun, which is totally un-Vietnamese grammar.

To be honest, although I am pro-China, I am strongly against such trend. I would like to keep Vietnamese identity, keep our own culture, keep our own architecture and never want Vietnam to be a little China. But now, pagoda are built with Chinese architecture (typically the new Bai Dinh pagoda). Media, even anti-China, increasingly use Sino-Vietnamese words, even when not necessary, and many other little things.

Last edited:
But nowadays, I see the trend on most Vietnamese media outlets to use more Sino-Vietnamese, even put the adjective before noun, which is totally un-Vietnamese grammar.

Quite similar to the movement in Korea to return to Chinese language roots, then.

That's good news for teaching new generations their heritage and prevent undesired foreign influence.

Back
Top Bottom