What's new

Vietnam, India Boost Naval Ties to Counter China

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
Even as Vietnam and China continue to conduct tit-for-tat naval maneuvers in the South China Sea, Hanoi has started making direct calls for foreign involvement in the two nations' maritime territorial dispute. While many commentators saw this as a thinly veiled invitation to the United States, it could also be a precursor to India establishing a permanent presence in Vietnamese waters. India has apparently responded favorably to Vietnam's offer of permanent berthing rights in Na Thrang port. The move would not only add military heft to India's "Look East" policy, but is also emblematic of a larger Indian effort to counter China's activities in South Asia.

Although Vietnam more than held its own in its 1979 border war with China, its record against the latter at sea is less impressive, as incidents in both 1974 and 1988 show. Even in 1979, Chinese naval action against Vietnam was only checked by the presence of Soviet ships. Since then the asymmetry in naval power between China and Vietnam has grown exponentially in the former's favor, while Hanoi has lost its Soviet-era security guarantees. Although Vietnam's decision to hold live naval drills in the wake of the cable-cutting incident in mid-June was seen as a show of resolve, it did little to temper ongoing Chinese surveys in disputed areas.

WPR Article | Vietnam, India Boost Naval Ties to Counter China

Vietnam has ancient historical links with India.

In case, India has berthing rights in Vietnam ports, it will suit India's role and be a contributory part of the international defence initiative that apparently is on the anvil heralded by the US Philippines and US Vietnam naval exercise to lay emphasis the right to passage through international sealanes.

Things between us and Vietnamese is getting better and better. A very positive development and smart planning by the Navy. I like the way how Navy manages its assets and its planning in diplomacy. Very far-sighted compared to the Army and air force.

Got to give it to the Vietnamese; they really don't take cr@p from someone bigger. That is one deadly attitude that contributed to their thrashing of PLA out of Vietnamese territory. As I always said, it is best to supply them good weapons. Vietnamese can handle easily on their own with good weapons. They are one lethal pack.

We should be proactive like Vietnam. We should forge military ties with Japan, S. Korea, Philippines too. The so called String of pearls China plans around India will be cut at its strongest point !

Guys, these are some positive co-operation between India and Viet and one(in this fourm) should not take it as a advantage to discriminate the Chinese or the Pakistanis. We hold navel ties and excercies with different countries this is not to say that if some one attacks my partner I'll JUMP into action. these ties are just a tacktics to sell our weapons(Business Opertuniities) that each country in this world seeks.
This is a cold truth.

We should be proactive like Vietnam. We should forge military ties with Japan, S. Korea, Philippines too. The so called String of pearls China plans around India will be cut at its strongest point !

Japan needs to revise its Article 9 before it can be of some military cooperation. Besides, they are too disaster-torn to do anything serious in defense. Let them first heal themselves. South Korea has the fat Northern Kims to worry about with nuclear warheads (allegedly). That leaves our hope to Southeast Asian countries who are fierce enough but simply are too small except maybe Vietnam, who is the only SEA country to have taken and thrashed PLA head on.

Guys, these are some positive co-operation between India and Viet and one(in this fourm) should not take it as a advantage to discriminate the Chinese or the Pakistanis. We hold navel ties and excercies with different countries this is not to say that if some one attacks my partner I'll JUMP into action. these ties are just a tacktics to sell our weapons(Business Opertuniities) that each country in this world seeks.
This is a cold truth.

Exactly what can India sell to Vietnam?

Berthing in Vietnam ports is what is called in military terminology - threat in being.

Japan needs to revise its Article 9 before it can be of some military cooperation. Besides, they are too disaster-torn to do anything serious in defense. Let them first heal themselves. South Korea has the fat Northern Kims to worry about with nuclear warheads (allegedly). That leaves our hope to Southeast Asian countries who are fierce enough but simply are too small except maybe Vietnam, who is the only SEA country to have taken and thrashed PLA head on.

So long as non nuclear armed ships come calling there is no embargo.

Japanese naval ships have berthed at Kochi.

Exactly what can India sell to Vietnam?

Berthing in Vietnam ports is what is called in military terminology - threat in being.

what can not we sell to them, we have retired Guns, fire arms that can be sold out. Tejas once operational, India is looking for sales oppertunity and Vietnam is one possible candiate.
The next Important business is to use Vietnams port as a base to monitor Chinese Air Activities. Even deply an ABM in Vietnam if an efficient one is designed by our scientist.

Vietnam , Japan , South Korea , Mongolia the list goes on. :D

guys, you need to understand Vietnamese capital is within 150km distance from the Chinese border. indian capital is within 300km distance from the border.

when things go ugly, we can use WS-2D rockets to remove these two cities from world map using dirty cheap rockets. now think it again, would you still want to have China as your enemy?

there is something I really don't understand: why you want your children to inherent a superpower enemy?

guys, you need to understand Vietnamese capital is within 150km distance from the Chinese border. indian capital is within 300km distance from the border.

when things go ugly, we can use WS-2D rockets to remove these two cities from world map using dirty cheap rockets. now think it again, would you still want to have China as your enemy?

there is something I really don't understand: why you want your children to inherent a superpower enemy?

One thing I would like to say. You really are very Peaceful

Agni 3 if it is put in any of the North Eastern Sister states can bring Shanghai or Bejing with in its range with a 1mt warhead so those dirty cheap rockets of yours can stay put...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom