What's new

‘Vietnam has emerged as a regional power in South-East Asia’: Hamid Ansari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me the standards of a regional power and how can vietnam meet these standards?
relax, this is just an opinion of Indian Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansar.

I would like to see india and vietnam join hands in everything including the truly indigenous indian culture! Congratulations!
why? Is China jealous on indian culture? :rofl:

relax, this is just an opinion of Indian Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansar.

Relax?Its more than that. I find it very amusing!

why? Is China jealous on indian culture? :rofl:

there is nothing for us to be jealous of indian culture about.

indian culture the best in their own UNIQUE way. vietcongs should follow them. vietcongs dont think so?

Relax?Its more than that. I find it very amusing!
come on, you can admit that Vietnam is an important country nowadays. I can see your frustration, that Hanoi receives more foreign leaders than Beijing. :rofl:

there is nothing for us to be jealous of indian culture about.
indian culture the best in their own UNIQUE way. vietcongs should follow them. vietcongs dont think so?
No, thanks for the advice. But we stay with East Asian culture. Besides, today Japan and Korea cultures are very popular among young Vietnamese.

Congratulation to Vietnam for her first acknowledgement :cheers:
@shuttler Based on The German Institute of Global and Area Studies states that a regional power must:

- be part of a definable region with its own identity
- claim to be a regional power (self-image of a regional power)
- exert decisive influence on the geographic extension of the region as well as on its ideological construction
- dispose over comparatively high military, economic, demographic, political and ideological capabilities
- be well integrated into the region
- define the regional security agenda to a high degree
- be appreciated as a regional power by other powers in the region and beyond, especially by other regional powers
- be well connected with regional and global fora.

Anyway, here's the map of Major Regional Powers (Teal) and Minor Regional Powers (Light Teal)

800px-Regional_powers_2012_updated3.png

Today's Vietnam is still a minor power along with Thailand. I hope Vietnam and Thailand will be emerged to be great powers in the region, so that ASEAN becomes a formidable region.

Last edited by a moderator:
@nufix

So it is rather Indonesia than Vietnam.
Actually the lesser China engages with Vietnam, the better it is for Vietnam´s development.

Hamid Ansari failed to mention that India wet dreams of including indoneshia in their akhand Bharat project.

@nufix

Actually the lesser China engages with Vietnam, the better it is for Vietnam´s development.

Agree, disputes make greater country to country cooperation become narrower, limited to those who back Vietnam up.

come on, you can admit that Vietnam is an important country nowadays. I can see your frustration, that Hanoi receives more foreign leaders than Beijing. :rofl:

No, thanks for the advice. But we stay with East Asian culture. Besides, today Japan and Korea cultures are very popular among young Vietnamese.
You done well.
I give you these words, bro :tup::
A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation

regional power?

Surely it is rhetoric and speech of politicians. Similar whenever Vietnamese politicans visit Beijing, they always say they value friendship with China and thank its supports during the independent wars. Their Chinese counterparts should know what the Vietnamese don´t mention.

regional power?

Surely it is rhetoric and speech of politicians. Similar whenever Vietnamese politicans visit Beijing, they always say they value friendship with China and thank its supports during the independent wars. Their Chinese counterparts should know what the Vietnamese don´t mention.

Should Chinese care about wtf viets are thinking? It's funny that you say so.

@nufix

One way to foster development for Vietnam is to step up a lot of efforts to engage with China, not the other way around given that China has tons of upper hands when it comes to economic activities. Vietnam has to find a way to carve a niche in the worldwide competition like Thailand does to ride the wave of China. Last year out there in Vietnam, the economy grew at a sluggish rate, think about if Vietman would plunge more without the economic relationship with China.

Anyone who thinks the UK is still a global power(all on its own) is really :cheesy:

Sorry to say that India today still follows the paycheck Britain offers you in many matters. Of course it is.

Congratulation to Vietnam for her first acknowledgement :cheers:
@shuttler Based on The German Institute of Global and Area Studies states that a regional power must:

- be part of a definable region with its own identity
- claim to be a regional power (self-image of a regional power)
- exert decisive influence on the geographic extension of the region as well as on its ideological construction
- dispose over comparatively high military, economic, demographic, political and ideological capabilities
- be well integrated into the region
- define the regional security agenda to a high degree
- be appreciated as a regional power by other powers in the region and beyond, especially by other regional powers
- be well connected with regional and global fora.

Anyway, here's the map of Major Regional Powers (Teal) and Minor Regional Powers (Light Teal)

800px-Regional_powers_2012_updated3.png

Today's Vietnam is still a minor power along with Thailand. I hope Vietnam and Thailand will be emerged to be great powers in the region, so that ASEAN becomes a formidable region.
Russia allows us to store our weapons in her arsenal after buying. If we take them all back to VN you will change your mind abt our power very fast :).

That's the reason why a 'minor power ' like us can control the biggest and the most important part in SCS(east sea) instead of China.

No need to show off to scare the neighbours, right ??:pop:

Oh, so just sit and wait, we will come and annex an US's pawn like you in real life, as what we did to our 'two western neighbors ':coffee:

Yawwnn .... Waiting :undecided:

Interestingly enough, I see Vietnamese girls working in SG in professional environments but never Vietnamese guys. Wonder why that is. Maybe its because they are just more level head? Go figure

This is on a separate post

Vietnamese are generally East Asians (similar cultures etc). Generally all East Asians countries have made it one way of the other, I have no doubt they will get there if the government gets their act together. We will see

As I always insisted, Viva Dai Viet always has ambitious dreams. But don't you think is a little too late now? Since you didn't accomplish your dreams in the 70s when the timing was perfect you're unlikely to get another extra inch of land now. Your big brother in the north is keeping an eye on you and he's much stronger now than before, you know.
It's only late when Sing can get rid of US's control , but you're still in her hands coz you're scared of US's sanctions, and as you know, she will 'sell' you like selling South VNto us if we offer a good price.
Anonymous user said:
Interestingly enough, I see Vietnamese girls working in SG in professional environments but never Vietnamese guys. Wonder why that is. Maybe its because they are just more level head? Go figure

This is on a separate post

Vietnamese are generally East Asians (similar cultures etc). Generally all East Asians countries have made it one way of the other, I have no doubt they will get there if the government gets their act together. We will see
VNese guys normally are taught to fight, not to work, that's why they're abit lazy,but they will be brave fighters. My nephew is in grade 12 now and he's going to take an exam to university soon, but he's very busy with military drill at skool recently, it seems like we need lots of soldiers for incoming wars now:coffee:

Russia allows us to store our weapons in her arsenal after buying. If we take them all back to VN you will change your mind abt our power very fast :).

That's the reason why a 'minor power ' like us can control the biggest and the most important part in SCS(east sea) instead of China.

No need to show off to scare the neighbours, right ?? :pop:

Ah zo, quite an ambitious man you are. But which neighbors you're going to scare off by dragging all weapons you bought from Russia? Cambodia or the Burmese?

My friend, there are some times that we have to keep our head low and admit that there are more skies above the sky we settle our body down, I hope you understand the meaning of it. :)

I am not underestimating Vietnam in fact I am admiring Vietnam, I am just trying to be reasonable based on a reliable study which came up with some criteria. So, I will have my time to explain to you that maybe (excuse me if I am wrong) you have been taking the word of "Major Power" wrong. As I have shown the criteria I mentioned to Shuttler, you must be understand that being a major power in the region is not only about how strong a country's military is. If we take it simple, to be recognized as "major power" a country's military needs to be comparatively strong among the neighboring countries, its economy must be dependable and relatively strong, a country needs to be influencing in order to exert decisive influence in making regional ideology and define regional security agenda into higher degree such as the U.N. Influence can only be gained by being acknowledged appreciated as "Major Power" by the neighboring countries in the region and being recognized by other Major Powers worldwide, a thing that can only be gained by having well connection both in the region and globally. But before that all, a country must have its own claim to be a regional power.

In this case, Vietnam may have maintained a comparatively strong military power and strong ambition. But its economy is not yet capable to be the region's economic pillar, as we know that there are 4 countries in S.E.A that holding those pillars, unfortunately, Vietnam is not yet one of those countries. If we go to influence area, Vietnam is sadly not yet capable to drag other countries in the region into its own thinking way, the last ASEAN meeting proves that. Without a proper influence, how can Vietnam able to define the regional agenda, both economically and security, forgive me if I look like showing off, but as we know that the ASEAN community 2015 is proposed by Indonesia and every country in the region seems to be accepting it, not mentioning how Indonesia turned down Cambodia's shocking movement.

If you still want to brag about defining major power by your own definition, at least, try to answer these questions;

1. Is Vietnam already replacing Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and our little baby brother Singapore in term of economy and Military? That means Vietnam will have to at least top Indonesia's current economy state which hold half of ASEAN economy and Singaporean most modern armed force in the region as well as Thai's air power.

2. Is Vietnam already replacing Indonesia in term of influence and power to connect all of ASEAN members properly?

3. More importantly, is Vietnam already being recognized as regional power by its own neighbors?

If no-s are your answer, therefore, there's no way other neighboring countries, including the other recent influencing countries like Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore would recognize Vietnam as Regional Power of the region.

About controlling biggest part in S.C.S, that's not the way the world defines major regional powers. Yet, your controlling claim has not yet been tested in major conflict, including armed and economic conflict. Try to invade another neighboring country's territories, if you can survive both economically and stability in gaining those territories after the war, then maybe the title of major power can be placed onto you.

I am sorry if there's unsuitable words out off my writings, may you are as forgivable as God himself. Cheers mate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom