What's new

Vietnam Economy Forum

I saw this GDP projection chart about Vietnam, so according to it, Vietnam's economy to go from 159 billion (2013) to 287 billion (2015), am I reading that right? The growth is way too high.

Vietnam | Economic Forecasts | 2013-2015 Outlook
it is not easy for get the real GDP number for Vietnam.

as per Vietnam Prime Minister, GDP per capita reached about $2,000 at the end of 2013. other government sources say the number is a bit lower, so about $1,900. so GDP would be about $180bn, based on $2,000 and 90ml Vietnamese.

Vietnam per capita GDP up 8 pct from 2012 | Business | Thanh Nien Daily

I don´t know the exact figure, however I guess official Vietnam needs a low GDP number to maintain the status of a low-income country. in doing so, that has many benefits: Vietnam enjoys low or zero tariffs when exporting to America, Europe and elsewhere, apart from that, Vietnam receives supports from international donors such as from Germany and Japan, e.i. money and technical expertise.

well, to reach 287bn in 2015, we will need to add 107bn in two years: this year and next. is it realistic? I don´t know.

consider, if Vietnam authority just approves the proposed projects from the two companies of Thailand PTT ($30bn) and America Exxon ($20bn), the GDP would increase by $50bn. see post #1176. you see it is a question of political will.

Last edited:
it is not easy for get the real GDP number for Vietnam.

as per Vietnam Prime Minister, GDP per capita reached about $2,000 at the end of 2013. other government sources say the number is a bit lower, so about $1,900. so GDP would be about $180bn, based on $2,000 and 90ml Vietnamese.

Vietnam per capita GDP up 8 pct from 2012 | Business | Thanh Nien Daily

I don´t know the exact figure, however I guess official Vietnam needs a low GDP number to maintain the status of a low-income country. in doing so, that has many benefits: Vietnam enjoys low or zero tariffs when exporting to America, Europe and elsewhere, apart from that, Vietnam receives supports from international donors such as from Germany and Japan, e.i. money and technical expertise.

well, to reach 287bn in 2015, we will need to add 107bn in two years: this year and next. is it realistic? I don´t know.

consider, if Vietnam authority just approves the proposed projects from the two companies of Thailand PTT ($30bn) and America Exxon ($20bn), the GDP would increase by $50bn. see post #1176. you see it is a question of political will.
Hm I never knew about all that, thanks for the information :tup:

Hm I never knew about all that, thanks for the information :tup:
one thing perhaps you don´t know. Vietnam has an important economic asset in overseas: the Viet Kieu. the governmnent has realised, too that we contribute a lot to the economy. :-)

the 4.5ml Viet Kieu generate an annual total income of estimated $50bn. they sent $11bn back home last year in 2013. for instance, I hear in Germany there are over 8,000 Vietnamese private enterprises, from small to big. :laugh:

remittances Vietnamese overseas should be investing in tech startups, not just remittances

600-610 r hard points to break for VN Index. The Govt. need more effort to make the stock market keep thriving .

That's correct, Vietnam purposely understates our GDP figure a bit to enjoy some benefits that low-income countries would receive. I still remember reading our media a few years ago and how they ran a bunch of panicking columns about such and such benefits that we would lose if our GPD/capita reach X figures. This is something that set us from the rest who like to overstate their GDP figure to feel good about themselves, we're more practical in this sense. We prefer to remain silent on what we have achieved, instead of bragging about it.

One of the first new bridges to cross the Red river delta. Considering the construction industry, the only last hurdle left we have not been able to build on our own is undersea tunnel. With project like the Thu Thiem tunnel, I believe we can master this technology within 10 years

7.jpg

As Vietnam stretches rubber output, risk of price war grows
As Vietnam stretches rubber output, risk of price war grows| Reuters

----------------------------------------------------------

With the land lease from Laos and Cambodia, it really helps with our rubber plantations. Don't worry about rubber, we will destroy international prices of aluminum and titanium in the near future too considering our massive deposits of these minerals. :dance3:

a new fleet of 22 steel fishing vessels, built by Vietnam Shipbuilding Industry Corporation

specs:

120-tonne vessel, the first one here coded Hoang Anh 01, cost $309,500, 5.21m long, 7.8m wide and 3.6m high, and can travel 10 nautical miles per hour. able to operate non-stop for 2,000 nautical miles and store enough food and water for the crew to stay on board for 30 days.

installed with a sonar machine which can detect fish within 3km

Tin%203%20hoem%20ngay%2009042104.jpg

Hard day for stock market. VN index down to 586. But I still hold ITA . The market down maybe bcz of this news
Tại Nghị quyết 15/NQ-CP, Chính phủ cho phép DN được thoái vốn dưới mệnh giá và dưới giá trị sổ sách sau khi đã bù trừ dự phòng tổn thất đầu tư. Về cơ bản, nội dung này phù hợp với quy định tại Nghị định số 71/2013/NĐ-CP của Chính phủ, trong đó có bổ sung quy định DN được phép thoái vốn dưới mệnh giá.
COmpanies r allowed to divest lower than 10.000 VND/ stock

Seem like ITA will go up again tmrr coz its price 9.4 is Ok, it should be 10.0 :D

HANOI, April 15. /ITAR-TASS/. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov’s visit to Vietnam will facilitate strategic partnership, Vietnam’s senior government official said.

Upcoming consultations “will give us a good opportunity to determine ways to specify Russia-Vietnam strategic partnership. We’ll discuss the implementation of the agreements, reached during Russian President Vladimir Putin’s official visit to Hanoi in November 2013”, Vietnamese Vice-Premier, Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh said in an exclusive interview with ITAR-TASS on Tuesday.

Special attention will be paid to major projects in the oil, gas and energy sectors. The ministers will consider ways of expanding inter-ministerial cooperation for contributing to effective development between the two countries, he said.

The talks will focus on global and regional issues of mutual interest, particularly, on cooperation within the UN and ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations), Pham Binh Minh said.

Vietnam praises Russia’s efforts aimed at maintaining peace and stability round the world, he said.

“Peace, stability and prosperity in the Asia Pacific Region promote the interests of all countries, including Vietnam and Russia,” Pham Binh Minh said.
ITAR-TASS: Russia - Vietnam praises Russia's contribution to global stability — Vietnamese foreign minister
More $$$ from Russia will flow to VN soon. Guess VN index will go up tmrr :partay:

Back
Top Bottom