What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Locked in dispute with China, Vietnam to build 32 coastal patrol ships
Published July 03, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook29 Twitter15
HANOI, Vietnam – Vietnam says it plans to build 32 new coastal patrol vessels to help defend its maritime sovereignty.

Hanoi is locked in a territorial dispute with its much larger neighbor China in the South China Sea that has exposed its lack of maritime muscle and surveillance capabilities.

Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung said the government would spend US$540 million on 32 new coast guard and fishery patrol vessels.

The decision was made Thursday, according to a government statement released later the same day.

Vietnam and China have sparred for years over who owns what in the South China Sea but tensions escalated sharply in early May when Beijing deployed a large oil rig near the disputed Paracel islands.

Hanoi has unsuccessfully sent ships to try and shoo the rig away.

30,000 steel fishing boats doesn't sound like too many if its small, this this size
Crowley-Fishing-boat_slideshow_large.jpg

Locked in dispute with China, Vietnam to build 32 coastal patrol ships
Published July 03, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook29 Twitter15
HANOI, Vietnam – Vietnam says it plans to build 32 new coastal patrol vessels to help defend its maritime sovereignty.

Hanoi is locked in a territorial dispute with its much larger neighbor China in the South China Sea that has exposed its lack of maritime muscle and surveillance capabilities.

Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung said the government would spend US$540 million on 32 new coast guard and fishery patrol vessels.

The decision was made Thursday, according to a government statement released later the same day.

Vietnam and China have sparred for years over who owns what in the South China Sea but tensions escalated sharply in early May when Beijing deployed a large oil rig near the disputed Paracel islands.

Hanoi has unsuccessfully sent ships to try and shoo the rig away.

30,000 steel fishing boats doesn't sound like too many if its small, this this size
Crowley-Fishing-boat_slideshow_large.jpg
well, 32 new coast guard vessels, plus 10 from Japan, 5 from America and 5 from India, so we will add 52 patrol vessels in 2015 into the patrol unit. That is not too bad, I believe.

the new 3,000 steel fishing vessels will help the coast guard and navy to protect our sea border.

we need more modern and bigger patrol vessels than the current ones. We have seen how chinese deploy big vessels to outgun us.

A%20Vietnam%20Coast%20Guard%20ship%20performing%20its%20duty%20near%20the%20site%20where%20Chinese%20oil%20rig%20Haiyang%20Shiyou-981%20is%20positioned._copy.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it is part of the program. 30,000 modern steel fishing boats will be built within 6 years, so the plan runs till 2020.

That is an unbelievable number, isn't it? It's a little bit ambitious. We will see.

Yes, It is one hell of a number, but actually I don't think it changes much the actual number of vietnamese fishing ships, what its really remarkable is that they are trying to replace all the wooden boats with steel boats all at once. Those shipyards are surely going to be very happy.

To put the numbers in context, I do remember that the chinese usually send 50,000 fishing boats to the east sea when the fishing season starts, but still, for Vietnam to have a number so close to the chinese number, that's very good. I wish it would be the same for the numbers of navy ships......

Its nice to see that as a consequence of the present situation with china, Vietnam is reacting and is building up the numbers of the coast guard / fisheries surveillance fleet nicely. Lets hope the same happens with the navy, because frankly, I think the chinese caught Vietnam napping. The build up of the navy was too little too late. After the events of 1988, the picture was already very clear and the Navy build up should it have been far more serious than what it was. Oh well, better late than never.

On June 30th, Vietnam coast guard reports three US reconnaissance aircrafts flew sorties over the chinese oil rig, one at low attitude, just 200m over the sea level.

10441427_562260727230225_5984005041788203396_n.jpg

On June 30th, Vietnam coast guard reports three US reconnaissance aircrafts flew sorties over the chinese oil rig, one at low attitude, just 200m over the sea level.

10441427_562260727230225_5984005041788203396_n.jpg
See, what I said here is correct, US will help VN more when China plan to park more oil rig in SCS(east sea).
Yeah, US-JP-SK will get more pressure from China , their sea lane will be under China threat, so, they will have to help VN more.

US allow VN to enrich uranium in our soil now (even JP is not allow to do it), but we want a real Nuke warhead. If US agree, then , we will kick ur @$$ out after we got a real nuke bomb :pop:
Vietnam should prepare for all scenarios in China oil spat: Party chief | Page 3

Yes, It is one hell of a number, but actually I don't think it changes much the actual number of vietnamese fishing ships, what its really remarkable is that they are trying to replace all the wooden boats with steel boats all at once. Those shipyards are surely going to be very happy.

To put the numbers in context, I do remember that the chinese usually send 50,000 fishing boats to the east sea when the fishing season starts, but still, for Vietnam to have a number so close to the chinese number, that's very good. I wish it would be the same for the numbers of navy ships......

Its nice to see that as a consequence of the present situation with china, Vietnam is reacting and is building up the numbers of the coast guard / fisheries surveillance fleet nicely. Lets hope the same happens with the navy, because frankly, I think the chinese caught Vietnam napping. The build up of the navy was too little too late. After the events of 1988, the picture was already very clear and the Navy build up should it have been far more serious than what it was. Oh well, better late than never.
we were long fooled by chinese propaganda of peaceful rise and co-existence.
in reality they just want to hide their intention of advancing their extreme nationalism and aggression.

now we will hit back.

we were long fooled by chinese propaganda of peaceful rise and co-existence.
in reality they just want to hide their intention of advancing their extreme nationalism and aggression.

now we will hit back.
come on....bomb our 981, please..

come on....bomb our 981, please..
No, we are not foolish to start the war. you are free to fire the first shot. But we will make the waters of Paracels into the war zone. You have started the confrontation, you will get what you want.

here is a news perhaps of your interest:

a Vietnamese businessman (the Chairman of Duc Khai Corporation, a company specializing in the real estate business, import and export) has decided to invest some money to build 100 advanced fishing vessels and 2 helicopters. His intention: to fish in the waters of Paracels.

More fun coming soon.

10357196_562914363831528_474179603288688919_n.jpg

No, we are not foolish to start the war. you are free to fire the first shot. But we will make the waters of Paracels into the war zone. You have started the confrontation, you will get what you want.

here is a news perhaps of your interest:

a Vietnamese businessman (the Chairman of Duc Khai Corporation, a company specializing in the real estate business, import and export) has decided to invest some money to build 100 advanced fishing vessels and 2 helicopters. His intention: to fish in the waters of Paracels.

More fun coming soon.

10357196_562914363831528_474179603288688919_n.jpg
good news,no zuo no die. hope the war coming earlier.......even a small conflict would stop your economy growing for years...

SU-30s: air patrol in the south china sea
994450_563443963778568_8276514132773742238_n.jpg

57mm anti-aircraft artillery battery in live firing exercise
10527729_563395193783445_2595818693015112355_n.jpg

news,no zuo no die. hope the war coming e
good news,no zuo no die. hope the war coming earlier.......even a small conflict would stop your economy growing for years...
see! now everyone know about your truly face and so on your country, thanks for telling the truth behind the "peaceful growing" of your country, we appreciate it :)

see! now everyone know about your truly face and so on your country, thanks for telling the truth behind the "peaceful growing" of your country, we appreciate it :)
see your IQ.if I represent
my country, you wouldnt have the chance bulllllshiiiiita here

Ha ha ha...do you love war?

A small conflict as you say can escalate into a full scale confrontation leaving hundred thousands of deaths and wounded behind, on both sides. Will mountain of dead Chinese bodies serve your interest to slow down Vietnam economy?

Is it worth for? I hope not all Chinese think like you.

or maybe my hometown will be nuke D: , did you deploy an ICBM, please don't D:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom