What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

I'm shocked by your analyse, that reveals how poor today our army is. It seems we are lost. I also appreciate your insights on how mighty our neighbors are, from Indonesia to Thailand to Singapore. Please feel free if you want to donate. We take everything. One thing I want to mention here, before leaving. in case you haven't noticed, until recently in the 1990s Vietnam was classified as 'dirty poor', but now is just as 'poor'. Everything was destroyed in wars. So it will take some time to recover, a lot of waters will flow down the Red river, until we escape poverty.

By then, we would have funds for new battle tanks. Sad.

Yes I know the eastern bloc had collapsed, also, the Soviet Union. Otherwise I guess a certain country would think 10 times before advancing any policy of aggression.

that's a very true facts, beside your Air Defense system which is my self admits it was a credible deterrence forces among all ASEAN countries and some token Air Force assets like Su-30 series and your newly purchase of missile boats and Submarine which is a good purchases recently, in all almost all of other combat and assets of entire Vietnam People Army is still being outmatched by your neighbors.

Which made me wonder, why Vietnam need to reassert themselves by pursue their claims in SCS and left their army modernization programme being left and cast aside to give more resources toward Navy, although the very natural enemy for Vietnam is China and some ASEAN continent countries who is had a good relationship with China like Cambodia and Thailand, and all of them came from Vietnam very land border. And your recent great wars against China and Cambodia is happened at land too

just comparing your rusty bucket of BMP-1, old BTR, T-54/55 with the arms of Malaysian army armed with modern IFV, APC and MBTs along with modern ATGM

The compilation Malaysia Armoured Vehicles

Malaysia Armoured warfare or tank warfare is the use of armoured fighting vehicles in modern warfare. It is a major component of modern methods of war. The premise of armoured warfare rests on the ability of troops to penetrate conventional defensive lines through use of manoeuvre by armoured units.

Old and New. Malaysia armour receive upgrading and improvement. The AV8 Gempita also propel Malaysian armoured vehicle into the network centric warfare.

Bakhtar Shikan ATGM

ACV-300 Adnan

Radpanzer Condor will be receiving major upgrade and modernize

ACV-300 81mm Mortar Carrier

A "multi-spectral" camouflage system" fitted to PT-91M Pendekar reduces visual, infrared and radar "signatures", and permits movement. Multi-spectral camouflage conceal PT-91M from detection across several parts of the electromagnetic spectrum at the same time. While traditional military camouflage attempts to hide an object in thevisible spectrum, multi-spectral camouflage also tries to simultaneously hide objects from detection methods such as infrared,radar, and millimetre-wave radar imaging.

Last edited:
that's a very true facts, beside your Air Defense system which is my self admits it was a credible deterrence forces among all ASEAN countries and some token Air Force assets like Su-30 series and your newly purchase of missile boats and Submarine which is a good purchases recently, in all almost all of other combat and assets of entire Vietnam People Army is still being outmatched by your neighbors.

Which made me wonder, why Vietnam need to reassert themselves by pursue their claims in SCS and left their army modernization programme being left and cast aside to give more resources toward Navy, although the very natural enemy for Vietnam is China and some ASEAN continent countries who is had a good relationship with China like Cambodia and Thailand, and all of them came from Vietnam very land border. And your recent great wars against China and Cambodia is happened at land too

just comparing your rusty bucket of BMP-1, old BTR, T-54/55 with the arms of Malaysian army armed with modern IFV, APC and MBTs along with modern ATGM

The compilation Malaysia Armoured Vehicles

Malaysia Armoured warfare or tank warfare is the use of armoured fighting vehicles in modern warfare. It is a major component of modern methods of war. The premise of armoured warfare rests on the ability of troops to penetrate conventional defensive lines through use of manoeuvre by armoured units.

Old and New. Malaysia armour receive upgrading and improvement. The AV8 Gempita also propel Malaysian armoured vehicle into the network centric warfare.

Bakhtar Shikan ATGM

ACV-300 Adnan

Radpanzer Condor will be receiving major upgrade and modernize

ACV-300 81mm Mortar Carrier

A "multi-spectral" camouflage system" fitted to PT-91M Pendekar reduces visual, infrared and radar "signatures", and permits movement. Multi-spectral camouflage conceal PT-91M from detection across several parts of the electromagnetic spectrum at the same time. While traditional military camouflage attempts to hide an object in thevisible spectrum, multi-spectral camouflage also tries to simultaneously hide objects from detection methods such as infrared,radar, and millimetre-wave radar imaging.

Well, if everything in war is about equipment, then USA would it have won easily, right? But it did not.

The Iraqi army had a lot of modern American equipment, but was routed by Daesh, did it not?

You talk about Malaysia and Thailand? I laugh about them, they don't have the balls to fight, which is the most important part. In a possible war with Vietnam, I'd bet for Vietnam 10 to 1.

You talk about true facts, let me give you a true fact that has been proven, the Vietnamese fight until they win, no matter what it takes. Good luck finding that in Thailand and Malaysia.

With a limited budget, Vietnam has to prioritize and as everybody knows, the ground army was the last priority. You keep attacking the priorities chosen by Vietnam and you are ignoring all the good reasons for such priorities. A ground war with China is very unlikely, so is correct for Vietnam to give priority to the navy and air force, but not just that, have to buy the equipment that makes the most difference and that's why Vietnam has been building a very good air defense network with radars optimized to detect stealth fighters (getting ready for the J-20 / J-31) and coastal anti ship missile batteries.

Vietnam buys based on its priorities which are based on its particular defense needs, not based on madokafc priorities or likes.

How many modern tanks and APCs could it have been bought with the 3 billion that went into the 6 Kilos or with the money that went into S-300 and other air defense assets or coastal missile batteries? Right there, that shows that a lot of money is been spent into a lot of assets, but of course you are never going to say anything positive, you can only look for something to criticize, that's why I said before that you are very biased against Vietnam and you keep showing it every time you post something here.

Last edited:
you know what, the latest
Well, if everything in war is about equipment, then USA would it have won easily, right? But it did not.

The Iraqi army had a lot of modern American equipment, but was routed by Daesh, did it not?

You talk about Malaysia and Thailand? I laugh about them, they don't have the balls to fight, which is the most important part. In a possible war with Vietnam, I'd bet for Vietnam 10 to 1.

You talk about true facts, let me give you a true fact that has been proven, the Vietnamese fight until they win, no matter what it takes. Good luck finding that in Thailand and Malaysia.

With a limited budget, Vietnam has to prioritize and as everybody knows, the ground army was the last priority. You keep attacking the priorities chosen by Vietnam and you are ignoring all the good reasons for such priorities. A ground war with China is very unlikely, so is correct for Vietnam to give priority to the navy and air force, but not just that, have to buy the equipment that makes the most difference and that's why Vietnam has been building a very good air defense network with radars optimized to detect stealth fighters (getting ready for the J-20 / J-31) and coastal anti ship missile batteries.

Vietnam buys based on its priorities which are based on its particular defense needs, not based on madokafc priorities or likes.

How many modern tanks and APCs could it have been bought with the 3 billion that went into the 6 Kilos or with the money that went into S-300 and other air defense assets or coastal missile batteries? Right there, that shows that a lot of money is been spent into a lot of assets, but of course you are never going to say anything positive, you can only look for something to criticize, that's why I said before that you are very biased against Vietnam and you keep showing it every time you post something here.

nothing, my statement seem harsh and difficult to digest properly. seem yu forgot the latest rig incident, when PLA amassed their troops near the border and at the same time they increased their surveillance activity even they photographed around the border till Hanoi with their drones.

One cant measures other "balls" as the current VPA is mostly young people without firsthand exp about war

you know what, the latest

nothing, my statement seem harsh and difficult to digest properly. seem yu forgot the latest rig incident, when PLA amassed their troops near the border and at the same time they increased their surveillance activity even they photographed around the border till Hanoi with their drones.

One cant measures other "balls" as the current VPA is mostly young people without firsthand exp about war

Amassing troops in the border or increasing surveillance is routine during a conflict, you are the only one implying the possibility of a ground war with China; feel free to show me links of serious articles pointing to such possibility. I have not seen one so far.

Balls are part of the personality / emotional make up of a culture. The vietnamese have not lost that and if you were to be living in Vietnam during the time of the oil rig (as I did) you would it have easily seen it. Foreigners living in Vietnam don't take long to see it, but that's an experience that you don't have.

There is no problem with harsh statements if they are true and are given in a constructive manner, but you always focus on selective things with a doses of sarcasm.

It was nice to post the article about the 28 T-90MS tanks, but of course you had to insert your own sarcastic comment, that's why I said that every time you post here you show your bias. Or are you going to pretend that you are not biased? How was it that you used to call vietnamese? Gooks, remember? We already know you very well here, so don't try to pretend that you are not what we already know that you are. How would you like it if someone goes to the Indonesian thread and talk about how pathetic the Indonesian air force is and keeps making sarcastic comments? You wouldn't like it right? Well, guess what? We also don't like it when you do that here.

India and Vietnam: Going beyond Brahmos
By: Nitin Gokhale | Last Updated: Saturday, 4 June 2016 1:16 PM

Nitin-Gokhale.jpg

Nitin Gokhale

As India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar winds up the Singapore leg of his two-nation, south-east Asia sojourn and heads to Hanoi, the oft-repeated talk about India seeking to sale the Brahmos missile to Vietnam is once again making headlines. Only, unlike in the past, there is a distinct possibility that both India and Vietnam will finally bite the bullet.

All indications now point to the fact that New Delhi has overcome its reservations and dare one say, fear about annoying China in supplying the cruise missile to Vietnam. After years of hesitation and obfuscation, South Block is now set to move forward in finalising the sale of Brahmos missiles to Vietnam. Apparently, co-developers of the missiles, the Russians have also agreed to proposal in principle. While the actual delivery is some distance away, the very fact that India is now openly talking about exporting weapons platforms to friendly countries is in itself a paradigm shift. So far, the squeamish Congress-era decision-makers shied away even from talking about such a possibility. Among potential customers for the Brahmos systems are South Africa, Chile and Philippines besides Vietnam.

Defence Minister Parrikar will of course have much more to talk about with his Vietnamese counterpart than just the sale of Brahmos missiles. Singapore, Vietnam besides South Korea and Philippines are important nations that India is reaching out to aggressively in South Asia . As part of the tweaked Act East policy a more robust military-to-military partnership with important nations in south-east Asia is also underway.

FILE PIC: AFP

Vietnam and India of course have some things in common. To begin with, both have borne the brunt of Chinese aggression — India in 1962 and Vietnam in 1979. Both India and Vietnam, who have long-pending territorial disputes with China thus decided to unite against their common adversary,. Although India refuses to directly intervene in the South China Sea dispute, it indirectly supports nations like Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia on the stand that they take with regard to the South China Sea.

Moreover, the collapse of the Soviet Union, for long a security guarantor for both India and Vietnam in Asia, left New Delhi and Hanoi without an all-weather, all-powerful friend in the 1990s.

Both New Delhi and Hanoi had traditionally sourced majority of their military hardware from the erstwhile Soviet Union. That commonality has meant that both can share expertise and resources available with their respective armed forces in terms of handling and maintaining the Soviet-era weaponry.

India, for instance, has repaired and upgraded over 100 MiG 21 planes of the Vietnamese Air Force and supplied them with enhanced avionics and radar systems. Indian Air Force pilots have also been training their Vietnamese counterparts. The Indian Navy, by far larger than the Vietnamese navy, has been supplying critical spares to Hanoi for its Russian origin ships and missile boats.

High level political visits between India and Vietnam have also been more frequent. In September 2014, President Pranab Mukherjee was in Vietnam, 24 hours before Chinese President Xi Jingping was due in India. Within a month of Mukherjee’s visit Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung was in India within a month to take the bilateral relationship to the next level. Parrikar’s visit is in continuation of that process.

The Defence Minister is accompanied by Defence Secretary, G. Mohan Kumar, C-in-C, Eastern Naval Command, VAdm SCS Bisht, DG Air Operations, Air Mar Anil Khosla and DG, DRDO S. Christopher, besides others. High level visits apart, the Indian Navy has been quite active in its friendly forays in South-East Asia. Meanwhile, a flotilla of Indian warships is on a 75-day deployment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific.

The Indian Navy’s Eastern Fleet is ‘Acting East’ with four of its ships en route to the seas east of the Malacca Straits, an area of maritime interest to the Indian Navy. In a press release, India’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) said that the four ships, the INS Satpura, Sahayadri, Shakti and Kirch under the command of the Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet Rear Admiral SV Bhokare had sailed out on 18 May 16 on a 2½ month long operational deployment to the South China and North West Pacific. During this overseas deployment, the ships of Eastern Fleet will make port calls at Cam Rahn Bay (Vietnam), Subic Bay (Philippines), Sasebo (Japan), Busan (South Korea), Vladivostok (Russia) and Port Klang (Malaysia). In addition to showing the Flag in this region of vital strategic importance to India, these ships will also participate in MALABAR-16, a maritime exercise with the US Navy and the Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Forces or the Japanese navy.

Parrikar is expected to reiterate India’s position on freedom of navigation as stated in the Indo-US joint Strategic Vision for the Asia-Pacific and the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) which affirms the importance of safeguarding maritime security and ensuring freedom of navigation and over flight throughout the region, especially in the South China Sea.

The Vision Document, released during President Obama’s India visit in January 2015, also calls on all parties to avoid the threat or use of force and pursue resolution of territorial and maritime disputes through all peaceful means, in accordance with universally recognized principles of international law, including the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), a position that Vietnam too subscribes to. Beijing may be unhappy with the growing closeness between New Delhi and Hanoi but it can do little on this front except issuing occasional statements. In that sense India’s effort to deepen engagement with Vietnam and goes much beyond just selling a deadly missile to a friendly nation.

Whatever the consequences of this strategy and counter-strategy, one thing is sure: The Indo-Asia-Pacific region is poised to become the new playground for the 21st century version of the Great Game in the years to come.

Vietnam made ground-to-air missile Igla (9P516). maximum range of 5,200 meters, maximum altitude of 3,500 meters, IR guidance system, 2 kilogram high-explosive warhead fitted with a contact and grazing fuse. all warships including submarines reportedly have Igla missiles aboard.

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_141211386.jpg

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_141211844.jpg

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_14121280.jpg

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_141212278.jpg

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_141211609.jpg

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_141210384.jpg

suc-manh-ten-lua-igla-made-in-viet-nam_141212812.jpg

Last edited:
@Viet
You aren't well informed about Croats...

Origin of Croatian people is over 3000 years old as Sarasvati people of India, Godness of Learning and over 2000 years ago Croats were in Iran and over 1500 years ago on northern slavic territories.of todays Poland and Ukraine...

Maori are Maori, you are thinking aboug Tarara people that are descendants of male dalmatian and maori female. Those are Tarara people that exist for over a century.

Yugo, I'm not sure if either you or me is the one who starts talking off-topic stuffs.

Maybe it is better you can provide some ideas how Vietnam increases firepower with little money.

Vietnam, South Korea may buy Lockheed planes amid Chinese buildup

REUTERS/TUOI TRE NEWS

UPDATED : 06/06/2016 08:09 GMT + 7

6OHxnajS.jpg

PrevNext
BERLIN -- Vietnam and South Korea are looking seriously at buying refurbished Lockheed Martin Corp P-3 and S-3 maritime surveillance planes to counter China's military buildup and repeated North Korean missile launches, the company said.

Vietnam is expected to request formal pricing and availability data on four to six older U.S. Navy P-3 Orion aircraft in the next few months, Clay Fearnow, a senior executive with Lockheed's aeronautics division, told Reuters at the Berlin air show last week.

The Obama administration's move to completely lift its arms embargo on Vietnam last month paved the way for such a sale, but any deal would still have to be carefully reviewed by the U.S. government, according to U.S. and Lockheed officials.

Washington's decision to permit lethal arms sales to Vietnam, its former enemy, underscored both countries' shared concerns about China's growing military clout.

Vietnam, which borders China, is also a key part of President Barack Obama's efforts to rebalance U.S. strategy toward Asia amid worries about Beijing's assertiveness and sovereignty claims to 80 percent of the East Vietnam Sea.

If the sale goes through, retired U.S. Navy P-3 turboprop planes now parked in a desert would be rebuilt with new wings, a new mission system and anti-submarine warfare equipment for Vietnam, Fearnow said.

The cost could exceed the $80 million to $90 million price tag for each of the 12 P-3s rebuilt for Taiwan several years ago, given the added equipment, Fearnow said.

Lockheed has built new wings or rebuilt aircraft for over 90 P-3 aircraft around the world, including the United States, Norway, Taiwan, Chile and Germany, since 2008, with some orders still in the works, Fearnow said.

The company is scrambling to drum up more orders and extend its wing production line in Marietta, Georgia.

Brazil and South Korea are each looking at ordering new wings for existing aircraft, but must decide by Sept. 1 to avoid a potentially costly gap in the supply chain for the wings, he said.

Boeing Co is also marketing its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance plane, but it is significantly newer and more expensive than the P-3. Another possible competitor is Airbus Group SE's C295 plane, which is built in Spain.

The U.S. State Department said it could not comment on potential P-3 or S-3 sales until it formally notifies the U.S. Congress.

In addition to South Korea's interest in new wings for eight of its P-3s, Seoul is also looking at acquiring 12 of the U.S. Navy's S-3 aircraft, which were retired in 2009 and are now parked in a desert, Fearnow said.

He said Spain, Portugal and Argentina also had P-3 aircraft that could use new wings, but those countries all face budget pressures. Japan, which has about 100 P-3 aircraft, is replacing them with its own P-1 aircraft, and the U.S. Navy is replacing its P-3 fleet with the Boeing P-8s.

The Philippines also wants to expand its maritime surveillance capabilities, but is still defining its requirements, Fearnow said.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/international...-may-buy-lockheed-planes-amid-chinese-buildup

Carlosa, interesting news isn´t it?

for the first time ever, Lockheed confirms Vietnam intention of buying 4-6 P-3 aircraft. with new wings, a new mission system and anti-submarine warfare equipment. even the price is quoted: more than $90 million a plane. maybe $100 million end price for Vietnam, with probably all equippments and weaponry included.

$600 million if we buy 6 planes.

do you know how much is a C295 plane with similar configuration, which is built in Spain?

Carlosa, interesting news isn´t it?

for the first time ever, Lockheed confirms Vietnam intention of buying 4-6 P-3 aircraft. with new wings, a new mission system and anti-submarine warfare equipment. even the price is quoted: more than $90 million a plane. maybe $100 million end price for Vietnam, with probably all equippments and weaponry included.

$600 million if we buy 6 planes.

do you know how much is a C295 plane with similar configuration, which is built in Spain?

I don't really know, but the strange thing is that Taiwan paid only $55 million for each upgraded P-3C, so this price is a bit high unless there is something else included there.

The C-295 is probably cheaper, but there is a reason why everybody prefers the P-3C (except the ones that can afford the P-8 of course).

Until the contract is signed there is little thing to be sure of. May buy or interested at or looking for are quite superficial.

After the visit of President Obama, a lot of Antonov landing lately. Wonder if they are carrying some T-90s ? Su-22M4 attacker in the background
13329391_946675372122090_3784906685869067677_o.jpg

Will U.S. arms sales to Vietnam alter the military balance in the South China Sea?
A Military Analysis

By Franz-Stefan Gady for The Diplomat
June 06, 2016

160522-obama-vietnam-1140_12a6008d295047173a5d943fd75d6bf1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

With the recent announcement by U.S. President Barack Obama that the United States will lift a decades-old embargo on the sale of military equipment to Vietnam, the question arises—given that the president’s decision is partially seen as a move to counterbalance China’s growing military power in the region—in what way a U.S.-Vietnamese weapons deal could potentially influence the military balance in the region, and in particular, the South China Sea.

Vietnam has expressed interest in a number of used U.S. military platforms including F-16 A/B fighter jets, refurbished P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft armed with torpedoes, and unarmed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to be used for monitoring the country’s territorial waters and the surveilling of the larger South China Sea. There have also been discussions over U.S. radar and surveillance equipment and boosting Vietnam’s electronic warfare capabilities.

Any U.S. sale to Vietnam would be done under the so-called Excess Defense Articles program, which offers used U.S. military hardware to partner nations at a reduced price and is run by the Pentagon. Vietnam’s Coast Guard is already in the process of purchasing six U.S.-made Metal Shark Defiant 75 patrol vessels for which the United States provided $18 million in loans.

Leaving political issues that could unravel a U.S.-Vietnamese defense deal aside for the moment—including lack of progress on improving civil liberties, human rights, and holding more transparent and open elections in Vietnam—should Hanoi opt to purchase U.S. hardware, the impact on the fighting capabilities of the Vietnam People’s Armed Forces (VPAF) will be gradual rather than abrupt and stretch out over many years for a number of reasons.

For one thing, it would require putting the necessary support structure in place for U.S. aircraft including the construction of maintenance facilities for overhauling the planes, although larger upgrades would still have to be done in the United States. It would also require the training of pilots, ground crews, and technicians on the new aircraft and weapons systems, which will necessitate the presence of U.S. advisors and instructors in the country. All of this could not be done overnight and would entail a multi-year U.S. commitment.

However, while the influx of U.S. military hardware in the region will most assuredly have an impact, it remains to be seen to what extent it will increase Vietnam’s deterrence capabilities against China—the primary reason for any VPAF arms acquisition. This will largely be dependent on two-factors: first, the level of training of VPAF personnel on the new platforms; and second, the VPAF’s ability to integrate U.S. hardware with the rest of the military, which primarily consists of Russian-made and Soviet legacy weapons platforms.

Vietnam’s military planning vis-à-vis China is defensive in nature and built around A2/AD—or anti-access and areal denial strategies, exploiting asymmetrical advantages by, for example, fielding new diesel-electric submarines to exploit China’s known weakness in anti-submarine warfare. All of this requires enhanced maritime domain awareness (MDA) and early warning systems in place and the establishment of a so-called kill chain linking “‘see-ers and shooters,’” as one analyst recently put it.

Vietnam’s ultimate goal is to deter China from deploying People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) vessels in so-called gray zone coercion scenarios, which involves the use of China Coast Guard (CCG) and maritime militia vessels to blockade Vietnamese-held islands and features in the South China Sea while avoiding open military conflict.

Equipment such as the refurbished P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft armed with torpedoes would significantly increase the VPAF’s deterrence capability in that respect. Specifically, it would boost the Vietnamese military’s surface and anti-submarine warfare capabilities by complementing its burgeoning fleet of six Russian-made 4,000-ton Type 636 Kilo-class diesel-electric submarines (five of which have been delivered so far).

Hanoi has also been acquiring a number of anti-ship and land attack cruise missiles, including the 3M-14E Klub supersonic cruise missile capable of hitting mainland China, giving it an additional powerful deterrent. Moreover, Vietnam has been upgrading its defensive missile systems, procuring Russian-made K-300P Bastion coastal missile systems in 2011 and S-300 PMU-2 long-range surface-to-air missile systems in 2012, in addition to upgrading coastal surveillance radar systems.

Furthermore, Vietnam operates 32 Su-30MK2V fighter aircraft optimized for maritime support functions and equipped with the Kh-31 (AS-17 Krypton) anti-ship missiles. The Vietnam People’s Air Force (VPA) is also allegedly interested in procuring a squadron of two-engine Sukhoi Su-35S multirole fighter jets—perhaps a more suitable aircraft for maritime patrols than the single-engine F-16 fighter jet.

So could U.S. military equipment alter the military balance in the South China Sea?

As outlined above, this will depend on both effective training and the ability to successfully integrate new weapons systems within existing military structures.

The paragraphs above show that Russia remains Vietnam’s most important “long-time partner in the field of bilateral military-technical cooperation, although the relationship is not entirely frictionless,” as I noted previously. The military hardware Russia has provided Vietnam, in comparison to U.S. systems, is more capable and has fewer strings attached to it than Washington’s offers. Vietnam also has experience in handling Russian-made equipment for the past decades, whereas it has none with U.S. military hardware.

When it comes to training, the VPAF has experienced limitations in the past and is only slowly conducting more comprehensive and dynamic exercises including practicing combined arms operations and the integration of air, ground, and naval assets in combat operations. The number of military-to-military training exchanges has also increased and Vietnamese submariners are currently undergoing training in undersea warfare doctrine and tactics at India’s INS Satavahana submarine center. Several deficiencies including in pilot training, however, remain.

While it is a possibility that Vietnam will find means to effectively integrate U.S. systems into its Russian-hardware dominated forces, the example of Malaysia—a country that operates both Russian and NATO systems—shows that it is highly inefficient and costly to try to operate both in the long run. In addition, it remains to be seen whether Vietnam can develop new doctrines and tactics to integrate all new weapons systems into the country’s counter-intervention strategy.

Overall, the successful integration and training on new U.S. military platforms will most certainly increase the combat capability of the VPAF, and as a result, will impact Chinese actions in the South China Sea. However, the addition of F-16 fighter aircraft, P-3C Orion, UAVs, and maritime intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) assets will not fundamentally alter the military balance between China and Vietnam.

Given that a full-scale war scenario between the two countries is unlikely, the mere presence of Vietnamese submarines in the South China Sea, whether or not they are part of an integrated kill-chain and linked with other military assets, will perhaps be sufficient to deter aggressive Chinese maritime actions in the foreseeable future.

This article has previously been published on ChinaUSFocus.com.

Back
Top Bottom