What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Viet, look at the last picture, the superstructure of the ship is totally different to the other pics, that can't be the same ship.
sharp eyes. you are right. the last pic is a "Dyugon" landing craft.
Tàu đổ bộ ST-2300: Thành tựu quốc phòng Việt Nam

The last picture is a project 21820 "Dyugon" landing craft.
thanks for the info.
Does it means the ST-2300 use air-cavity while moving? Like Dyugon?
not sure. I believe it has conventional engine.
ST-2300 specs: 135 tonnes, 12 knots, 60 operations hours

46 days since depart from St. Petersburg (Russia), the Kilo HQ-184 Hải Phòng finally arrives Cam Ranh bay. two more Kilos HQ-185 Da Nang and HQ-186 Khanh Hoa are expected to be delivered this year.
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441155[1].jpg
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441356[1].jpg
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441642[1].jpg
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441340[1].jpg
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441931[1].jpg
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441128[1].jpg
lai-dat-tau-ngam-hai-phong-vao-quan-cang-cam-ranh_311441816[1].jpg

29/1 Hà Nội, Sen. Lt. Gen. Nguyen Chi Vinh received a japanese delegation, led by Tokuchi Hideshi, deputy defence minister. talks on bilateral and regional topics. during his stay, Hideshi visited some units of the vietnamese army.

vet-namnhat-ban-doi-thoai-chinh-sach-quoc-phong-lan-thu-3br_302358398.JPG

in the future, the U.S. and Vietnam will focus on cooperation between the two's coast guards, says the US Ambassador to Vietnam, Ted Osius.

XCzWr4ik[1].jpg

Pham Thu Hang, deputy spokesperson of the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, says during a a press conference in Hanoi, Vietnam and the US wants to strengthen security and defense cooperation.

I would like to say it is overdue. high noon.
zpk0GiHJ[1].jpg

Interesting: the new openness of the Army. the largest asset is Viettel, the largest mobile operator in Vietnam, with 80,000 employees, $10b revenue and $2b profit.

Industry
Vietnam reveals the significant financial scope of military-run businesses
Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
26 January 2015

The Vietnam Ministry of National Defence (MND) revealed details about the significant financial scope of the businesses owned and managed by the Vietnam People's Army (VPA) in a statement published by the MND on 26 January.

It is thought to be the first time such details have been disclosed by the MND and is reflective of Vietnam's increasing efforts to enhance transparency.

The MND said the VPA businesses - involved in a range of activities from defence production to engineering and banking - posted double-digit financial growth in 2014 while continuing to undergo extensive restructuring.

The MND said its military businesses posted combined annual revenues of VND292 trillion (USD13.7 billion), a year-on-year increase of 18%.

Vietnam Air Defence: S-300 surface to air missile with 96L6E acquisition radar, that usually comes with S-400.

96L6E, operating in C-band, outstanding advantage is the ability of detection of tactical ballistic missiles. It can monitor 100 targets simultaneously, maximum range 300 km.
ly-do-viet-nam-chon-radar-96l6e-cho-he-thong-s300pmu1_2112158[1].jpg
ly-do-viet-nam-chon-radar-96l6e-cho-he-thong-s300pmu1_2111635[1].jpg
ly-do-viet-nam-chon-radar-96l6e-cho-he-thong-s300pmu1_2112141[1].jpg

ly-do-viet-nam-chon-radar-96l6e-cho-he-thong-s300pmu1_2113986[1].jpg

Vietnamese People's Air & Air Defense forces go straight to heaven
soha.vn/quan-su/tuong-lai-nao-cho-mig-21-trong-khong-quan-viet-nam-20150205231532722.htm

Vietnam Air Defence: S-300 surface to air missile with 96L6E acquisition radar, that usually comes with S-400.

96L6E, operating in C-band, outstanding advantage is the ability of detection of tactical ballistic missiles. It can monitor 100 targets simultaneously, maximum range 300 km.
View attachment 189278 View attachment 189279 View attachment 189280
View attachment 189282
What do you think about SAM-P/T (Aster-30) for Vietnam. Some officers just finished training course from France
sua-3.3.jpg

Vietnamese People's Air & Air Defense forces go straight to heaven
soha.vn/quan-su/tuong-lai-nao-cho-mig-21-trong-khong-quan-viet-nam-20150205231532722.htm
ahem...I believe your translation is a bit unsharp, it should be "what will be the replacement for our aging MIG-21s?"
well, I suggest we buy more Su-30s.
What do you think about SAM-P/T (Aster-30) for Vietnam. Some officers just finished training course from France
sua-3.3.jpg
I think it is always a good idea to have a second weapons provider than just Russia. Besides, Aster-30 can shoot down enemy tactical balistic missiles.

Last edited:

Looks like things are progressing well towards the 4500 ton frigates, but I think the Barak 8 / Barak ER is also a nice alternative to the Aster 30.

Furthermore, the Barak 8, if a land version is used, can integrate really nicely with the coming Spyder air defense system and the new Israeli radars that VN already bought. So it would also make sense to have it for the new frigates.

Have Vietnam already made the final decision about the Aster 30?

Looks like things are progressing well towards the 4500 ton frigates, but I think the Barak 8 / Barak ER is also a nice alternative to the Aster 30.

Furthermore, the Barak 8, if a land version is used, can integrate really nicely with the coming Spyder air defense system and the new Israeli radars that VN already bought. So it would also make sense to have it for the new frigates.

Have Vietnam already made the final decision about the Aster 30?
bro, I think the decision is made, otherwise why should we have sent our people to training?

do you have more info on the progress of 4,500 frigate project?

Not sure what the navy has in mind, I guess Barak system is reserved for later generation of warships, e.i. destroyers. Aster-30 is probably for our coming fleet of 4,500 tonnes frigates, and so you see my dream of aegis like destroyers comes earlier than expected. here as appetizer an image of a French horizon class frigate with aster-30.
horizon_4[1].jpg

Vietnam Coast Guard

old, decommissioned by the japanese coast guard but after refubished and equipped with modern navigation, the 6 patrol boats will serve for another decades. all are parts of $5m donation of the government of japan.

this boat is 56.7m long, 725 tonnes, speed 12.5 kn; assembled in 1991 Japan.

10952589_684102485046048_5189184589294711110_n[1].jpg

earlier picture of the boat class
10689616_10202529683761768_5018773111742117607_n[1].jpg

bro, I think the decision is made, otherwise why should we have sent our people to training?

do you have more info on the progress of 4,500 frigate project?

Not sure what the navy has in mind, I guess Barak system is reserved for later generation of warships, e.i. destroyers. Aster-30 is probably for our coming fleet of 4,500 tonnes frigates, and so you see my dream of aegis like destroyers comes earlier than expected. here as appetizer an image of a French horizon class frigate with aster-30.

Well, a training course could also be just a way to learn more about the weapon system before making a decision.

No, no new info about the 4500 ton frigates, but I doubt that there will be destroyers after those, I think those heavy frigates fulfill the destroyer role.

UH-1 is too old, too outdated, too risky when flying, similar to Mi-171. we should look for new choppers. urgently.

The later news reveal that the UH1 was under maintenance in USA in 2012 which is unknown to me before. And UH1 fleet was abandoned until 1995 when they started to fly again, coincidentally to the beginning of new relation between Vietnam and USA, 20 years ago.
Something still flowing fluently under the surface which sometime we can't estimate.

Recently, it sprung to mind that delivery of 5 patrol speedboat done confirmed by US official, while we still have no any photo on them. It's totally different to the delivery of Haiphong submarine.

I am waiting for other pleasant surprises from the relation between Vietnam and USA, and US allies, especially after arm ban lift, everything changes rapidly after that.

Last edited:
The later news reveal that the UH1 was under maintenance in USA in 2012 which is unknown to me before. And UH1 fleet was abandoned until 1995 when they started to fly again, coincidentally to the beginning of new relation between Vietnam and USA, 20 years ago.
Something still flowing fluently under the surface which sometime we can't estimate.

Recently, it sprung to mind that delivery of 5 patrol speedboat done confirmed by US official, while we still have no any photo on them. It's totally different to the delivery of Haiphong submarine.

I am waiting for other pleasant surprises from the relation between Vietnam and USA, and US allies, especially after arm ban lift, everything changes rapidly after that.
This aid just 18 Mil $, so can not be big ship, 99% can be this type : Fast Respond Boat. 1 boat cost 3,6 Mil, 5 will be 18Mil, same as the fund report before
tautuantra-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom