What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

here is a better picture of the new 2 gepards under construction, with visiting russian guests (or they are family members of the contruction workers?). an interesting fact is the new pair costs $700 million, while the first pair only half: $350 million. I assume the firepower doubles as well.

I await the day, when our russian friends transfer the technology so we can build the next vessels by ourselves.
10835140_667170120072618_7087968652545602918_o[1].jpg

with visiting russian guests (or they are family members of the contruction workers?)

I guess, this is photo from keel-laying ceremony of two cable layer ships of project 15310.

here is a better picture of the new 2 gepards under construction, with visiting russian guests (or they are family members of the contruction workers?). an interesting fact is the new pair costs $700 million, while the first pair only half: $350 million. I assume the firepower doubles as well.

I await the day, when our russian friends transfer the technology so we can build the next vessels by ourselves.
View attachment 181994

Very interesting, where did you find the price? If that's the price, then those ships have the Shtil air defense system almost for sure.

View attachment 181994

$350 mil each is very expensive and all it takes is one torpedo to destroy it. Not a good investment in my mind.

$350 mil each is very expensive and all it takes is one torpedo to destroy it. Not a good investment in my mind.

Those Gepards for sub hunting.
Btw, we heard that USA is completing the final procedures to totally lift ban of arm sales to Vietnam.
This would be done within this year, marked 20 years of relation VietnAmerican

Very interesting, where did you find the price? If that's the price, then those ships have the Shtil air defense system almost for sure.
I get the info from comrade commissar facebook :-)
"Theo hợp đồng, tàu 956 sẽ được chuyển tới Việt Nam vào tháng 11/2016, trong khi tàu 957 sẽ về đến Việt Nam vào tháng 3/2017, sớm hơn so với dự kiến. Sau các thử nghiệm, lễ bàn giao chính thức sẽ diễn ra vào tháng 2 và tháng 6/2017.

Trước đây, hợp đồng mua hai tàu Gepard (HQ-011 và HQ-012) trị giá khoảng 350 triệu USD. Với hợp đồng thứ hai này, trị giá hai tàu được ước tính vào khoảng 700 triệu USD, nhờ đó các tàu Gepard cải tiến này sẽ có năng lực tác chiến vượt trội, cùng với đó là sự bổ sung rất mạnh về khả năng chống ngầm."

I believe, too that the price includes shtil-1 anti aircraft missile and ASW package.
DEFENSE STUDIES: Second Batch of Gepard Equipped with Sthil-1 Missile

"Theo hợp đồng, tàu 956 sẽ được chuyển tới Việt Nam vào tháng 11/2016, trong khi tàu 957 sẽ về đến Việt Nam vào tháng 3/2017, sớm hơn so với dự kiến. Sau các thử nghiệm, lễ bàn giao chính thức sẽ diễn ra vào tháng 2 và tháng 6/2017.

Trước đây, hợp đồng mua hai tàu Gepard (HQ-011 và HQ-012) trị giá khoảng 350 triệu USD. Với hợp đồng thứ hai này, trị giá hai tàu được ước tính vào khoảng 700 triệu USD, nhờ đó các tàu Gepard cải tiến này sẽ có năng lực tác chiến vượt trội, cùng với đó là sự bổ sung rất mạnh về khả năng chống ngầm."

I believe, too that the price includes shtil-1 anti aircraft missile and ASW package.

Oh, somehow I missed it from comcom.

Well, I still think its a bit expensive. For $450 million can get the Admiral Gorshkov class which is a heavy frigate (4500 tons) with the weapon systems of a destroyer, way superior to the Gepard, but oh well, it is what it is.

Those Gepards for sub hunting.
Btw, we heard that USA is completing the final procedures to totally lift ban of arm sales to Vietnam.
This would be done within this year, marked 20 years of relation VietnAmerican

I joined the first trade fair with the title "VietnAmerican Trade fair" in Hanoi, 1993 , two years before 1995, two years after collapse of Soviet Union 1991.

I remembered at the time after pick 2 cans of Pepsi soft drink ( first time in my life ), we enjoyed the show of American companies like industrial and consuming air conditioning, materials for beverage, drink, oil exploration ...

I and an older brother joined that fair, at the time he's start his first year in university, me 2 years later in 1995 the year start the relation. Laterly he use the phone number with xxxx1993 until now.

It could be said "we are the generation of normalized relation to American"

Last edited:
Good job mate!! Happy new year!

That would explain why the T-72 / 90 had no official announcements.

How sure are you about the T-72 & T-90 part from India or maybe we are going to provide training for T-90s & spare parts

I'm not sure about anything bro, I'm just quoting from the report.

It didn't say that the T-72 are from India. It said that VietNam is looking to upgrade its T-72 (480 of them) that are already in its possession.

All the T-55/54 will be "replaced by T-90s obtained from India."

So they are complete tanks from India and not just spare parts. To me, this sounds like VietNam already possess these T-90s from India, or at least some of them are already in possession.

BTW, does anyone know whether the T-55M3 upgrade project was done by IMI or Elbit?

P. S. the report said VietNam might get some weapons that is very powerful, more powerful than AEGIS destroyers, F-16 or Abram tanks. @Viet will love it for sure!

Your website link did not say that this next two Gepards will have Shtil-1. It only said that a "VietNam website speculated."

My report said 6 Gepards are ordered (2 already commissioned, 2 under construction and the next 2 ordered). The latest "order" will have Shtil-1. I dont know what that exactly means.

I'm not sure about anything bro, I'm just quoting from the report.

It didn't say that the T-72 are from India. It said that VietNam is looking to upgrade its T-72 (480 of them) that are already in its possession.

All the T-55/54 will be "replaced by T-90s obtained from India."

So they are complete tanks from India and not just spare parts. To me, this sounds like VietNam already possess these T-90s from India, or at least some of them are already in possession.

BTW, does anyone know whether the T-55M3 upgrade project was done by IMI or Elbit?

P. S. the report said VietNam might get some weapons that is very powerful, more powerful than AEGIS destroyers, F-16 or Abram tanks. @Viet will love it for sure!

Your website link did not say that this next two Gepards will have Shtil-1. It only said that a "VietNam website speculated."

My report said 6 Gepards are ordered (2 already commissioned, 2 under construction and the next 2 ordered). The latest "order" will have Shtil-1. I dont know what that exactly means.
nice news, I love it. welcome back. by the way, why were you banned?

nice news, I love it. welcome back. by the way, why were you banned?

I haven't posted the part about this new weapon that you're gona love. It will be more powerful than Ticonderoga destroyers, F-16s, Poisedon. This weapon will really make you happy.

I haven't posted the part about this new weapon that you're gona love. It will be more powerful than Ticonderoga destroyers, F-16s, Poisedon. This weapon will really make you happy.
so what are you waiting for? come on, post the article and your comments here. Ticonderoga is a cruiser class, with 10,000 tons displacement. I doubt our navy has money for such toy. we don´t even have any destroyers yet.

so what are you waiting for? come on, post the article and your comments here. Ticonderoga is a cruiser class, with 10,000 tons displacement. I doubt our navy has money for such toy. we don´t even have any destroyers yet.

It's a 60 page report and I can't post it here because of copyright. I will translate some of the interesting parts. Be patient.

I did not say VietNam will get the Ticonderoga class, I was talking about something much much more powerful. If VietNam get this weapon, it will definitely be the strongest in ASEAN.

Back
Top Bottom