What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

The US weapon quality always at the state of art.
The Soviet Union learn a lot from what Vietnam take from US and send to them.
From Cobra helo to F4, F5...

South Korean destroyer Choe Yeong visits Vietnam, Saigon on December 3, 2014.

1_IOLA.jpg

2_gogs.jpg

3_qoek.jpg

Vietnam is keen to have first 4000 ton warship.
oliver hazard perry class is not so bad. 250 million for 2, like Taiwan. sound cheap ?
Korean is marketing their self-built warships,

Last edited:
oliver hazard perry class is not so bad. 250 million for 2, like Taiwan. sound cheap ?
It'll not come to real with those old platform.

Korean or Damen 's design will be good for us.

The US weapon quality always at the state of art.
The Soviet Union learn a lot from what Vietnam take from US and send to them.
From Cobra helo to F4, F5...
Any reliable source about that !?

russia state media "voice of russia" confirms: vietnam possesses air defense systems Tor and Buk.

Nga: Việt Nam sở hữu hệ thống phòng không Tor và Buk - DVO - Báo Đất Việt
View attachment 163958

View attachment 163959

Viet, can you find the original Russian article that was sourced? I couldn't find the link in your article.

You got ahead of me, I was about to post the article, very interesting about the Tor, I knew about the Buk, but for the Tor I only knew rumors that were not very solid, so I thought it was a low chance, but no.

@Black Flag So much for SIPRI

Yea, I've only heard about the Tor rumour once. Other than that, it doesn't make sense since the Pantsir is a much more modern system with longer range missiles.

I won't believe this rumour 100% cos I don't fully trust news journalists. Remember when another Russian news article claims that VN had bought 500 T-72 back in 1990? another one said VN is buying 6 Gepards. These news sites sometime makes mistake too.

I think Interfax is the most reliable Russian news source. I'll check their site when I have time. The last article I've read from them, an official from Almaz-Antei was complaining how the US defense industry is now trying to infiltrate the market in VietNam lol. Good news for VN. :cheers:

Anyway, I won't be making any serious posts here anymore. I'll just stick to posting fun and non-serious stuff. For serious posts, I'll go over to DF India, I expect less biased mods over there. Hopefully some Indian and Korean members there can give more insights too as their defense export is getting much more serious (with VN and other ASEAN being potentially big clients).

he's not nice as the nickname.
extremist I think

NiceGuy is awesome, I like him. I think he is busy making money on the stock market now.

It's even cheaper for Thailand and Mexico. The US is giving the OHP away to them for free.

Already upgraded for that price?

Yea, refurb and weapons ( mainly Taiwan domestic system) all included. It was $175 million without the refurb and upgrade.

It'll not come to real with those old platform.

Korean or Damen 's design will be good for us.

Those new ships are expensive. For the price of two OHP class, you can't even buy one Sigma or Ichaeon Class corvette.

Plus, these OHP class are already in stock, ready for refurb and transfer.

Viet, can you find the original Russian article that was sourced? I couldn't find the link in your article.
sorry, no original link. the article I posted is from a viet controlled state media quoting from a russian state media.
NiceGuy is awesome, I like him. I think he is busy making money on the stock market now.
I think so. the stock market is very hot now, chaos everywhere. I´ve increased the holdings of US stocks. a little bit too early investing more in Chinese mainland stocks.

Important news, Vietnam is getting involved in the arbitration tribunal of UNCLOS to defend its position regarding the Philippine's case:

China, Vietnam clash again over South China Sea claims - Yahoo News

BEIJING (Reuters) - China and Vietnam have clashed again over competing claims in the South China Sea, after Vietnam submitted its position to an arbitration tribunal initiated by the Philippines over the festering dispute that involves several countries.

China has said repeatedly it will not participate in the case at the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague, branding it an underhand attempt to exert political pressure over territory which is inherently Chinese.

China's foreign ministry, in a statement released late on Thursday, called on Vietnam to respect China's sovereignty, which it said had historical basis.

China will not change its position of not taking part in the arbitration, the ministry said.

Vietnam's foreign ministry said it had submitted its point of view to the court to ensure it pays attention to "our legal rights and interests".

Vietnam has historical proof and the legal basis to support its claims, and rejects China's "unilateral" claims, it added.

China has warned Vietnam before against getting involved in the arbitration case, the first time China has been subjected to international legal scrutiny over the waters.

Anti-Chinese violence flared in Vietnam in May after a $1 billion (£635.8 million) deepwater rig owned by China's state-run CNOOC oil company was parked 240 km (150 miles) off the coast of Vietnam.

Since then, though, China has sought to make amends with Vietnam.

China claims about 90 percent of the South China Sea, displaying its reach on official maps with a so-called nine-dash line that stretches deep into the maritime heart of Southeast Asia.

Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan also have claims to parts of the potentially energy-rich waters that are crossed by key global shipping lanes.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Additional reporting by Mai Nguyen in HANOI; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Yea, I've only heard about the Tor rumour once. Other than that, it doesn't make sense since the Pantsir is a much more modern system with longer range missiles.

I won't believe this rumour 100% cos I don't fully trust news journalists. Remember when another Russian news article claims that VN had bought 500 T-72 back in 1990? another one said VN is buying 6 Gepards. These news sites sometime makes mistake too.

I think Interfax is the most reliable Russian news source. I'll check their site when I have time. The last article I've read from them, an official from Almaz-Antei was complaining how the US defense industry is now trying to infiltrate the market in VietNam lol. Good news for VN. :cheers:

Anyway, I won't be making any serious posts here anymore. I'll just stick to posting fun and non-serious stuff. For serious posts, I'll go over to DF India, I expect less biased mods over there. Hopefully some Indian and Korean members there can give more insights too as their defense export is getting much more serious (with VN and other ASEAN being potentially big clients).

I'm not too sure either, but I did hear the rumor a few times and it could very well be true.

My explanation regarding the Pantsir is that they probably bought the Tor a few years earlier, but who knows what the truth is.

Can you start a Viet military thread at DF India? I will join also. I'm sick and tired of the chinese trolls here, they ruin everything and the mods don't care.

The MP forum is actually very good, but the Viet thread doesn't have enough activity, sometimes it goes for days without postings but it does have high caliber people there. I've been there for a few years, but I don't like their system of posting pics, need to have external storage.

Let me know what your name is at the DF India forum.

Carlosa...that is very surprising, and not a good sign in the bilateral relationship. I think VN government does no longer trust CN commitment to solve the dispute fair and peaceful. Though the most important point is, VN itself does not join the arbitration like the Philippines, but only sends notes to the court. the notes state Vietnam stance. And, the side effect is Vietnam supports the stance of the Philippines of sueing China.

Considering how Chinese leadership behaves recently, the move is overdue, I assume.

China rejects Vietnam claims in arbitration submission over South China Sea dispute | South China Morning Post

The South China Morning Post understands that Vietnam sent a statement to the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) at the Hague last Friday, making three main claims in clear opposition to China’s stand.

First, it stated that it recognised that the court had jurisdiction over the case submitted by the Philippines, in direct contradiction to China’s own recently reiterated position that it had no such authority.

Second, it asked the court to give “due regard” to Vietnam’s legal rights and interests in the Spratleys, Paracels, and in its exclusive economic zone and continental shelf when deciding on the merits of the Philippine case.

Finally, it also rejected the Chinese nine-dash line demarcation – the basis of Chinese claims to ownership of the vast spread of the South China Sea – saying that it was “without legal basis”.

Last edited:
Carlosa...that is very surprising, and not a good sign in the bilateral relationship. I think VN government does no longer trust CN commitment to solve the dispute fair and peaceful. Though the most important point is, VN itself does not join the arbitration like the Philippines, but only sends notes to the court. the notes state Vietnam stance. And, Vietnam supports the stance of the Philippines by sueing China.

China rejects Vietnam claims in arbitration submission over South China Sea dispute | South China Morning Post
The South China Morning Post understands that Vietnam sent a statement to the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) at the Hague last Friday, making three main claims in clear opposition to China’s stand.

First, it stated that it recognised that the court had jurisdiction over the case submitted by the Philippines, in direct contradiction to China’s own recently reiterated position that it had no such authority.

Second, it asked the court to give “due regard” to Vietnam’s legal rights and interests in the Spratleys, Paracels, and in its exclusive economic zone and continental shelf when deciding on the merits of the Philippine case.

Finally, it also rejected the Chinese nine-dash line demarcation – the basis of Chinese claims to ownership of the vast spread of the South China Sea – saying that it was “without legal basis”.

Any court of arbitration is more gentle than the international police, I mean USA.

sir,isn't India offered Vietnam brahmos.
no, india is hesitant to provide us with the missiles. latest news says, india wants to join the international missile control regime, then decides the request of vietnam. when it is going to happen, nobody in vietnam knows.

Any court of arbitration is more gentle than the international police, I mean USA.
well, we can expect chinese aggression like we have seen how they do with the philippines. be prepared.

some other news:
Arrival of the new Su-30MK2s: 2 already delivered at end of november, the next 2 end of december.

Báo Nga: Việt Nam nhận thêm 2 'Hổ mang chúa' Su-30MK2 - DVO - Báo Đất Việt
bao-nga-viet-nam-nhan-them-2-ho-mang-chua-su30mk2_112227449[1].jpg

Carlosa...that is very surprising, and not a good sign in the bilateral relationship. I think VN government does no longer trust CN commitment to solve the dispute fair and peaceful. Though the most important point is, VN itself does not join the arbitration like the Philippines, but only sends notes to the court. the notes state Vietnam stance. And, the side effect is Vietnam supports the stance of the Philippines of sueing China.

Considering how Chinese leadership behaves recently, the move is overdue, I assume.

I was surprised too, but I think its directed mainly against Philippines because don't forget that they also claim and have control of Viet islands so VN needs to defend its own claims with Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom