What's new

Used F16's - EDA 50 ~ 100 Available

Khafee

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Well PAF could go for these EDA birds, 50~100. New ones were available, as long as PAF paid for them. These upgraded birds could be a game changer.

Forum - What is your opinion?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Poland shoots down used F-16A/B acquisition

• 23 MARCH, 2017
  • BY: BARTOSZ GLOWACKI
  • WARSAW

Poland has ruled out purchasing second-hand Lockheed Martin F-16A/Bs to expand its air force, citing excessive modernisation costs.

“We are not going to buy used older versions of the F-16,” deputy minister for national defence Bartosz Kownacki told a parliamentary committee examining the modernisation of the country’s armed forces on 22 March.

In January, Kownacki had indicated that Warsaw was considering the acquisition of 50-100 used F-16s, or new F-35s.

A week later, the defence minister Antoni Macierewicz added that the ministry was not ruling out the purchase of more F-16s “depending on the conditions that would eventually be agreed with the US side”.

Kownacki says that Poland continues to analyse various options as it looks to expand its air force fleet, as well as cope with the retirement of Soviet-built types such as the RAC MiG-29 and Sukhoi Su-22. However, he says that studies preclude the acquisition of used F-16s. “The analysis of purchasing of F-16A/B aircraft were carried out by the Ministry of National Defence, the general staff of the Polish armed forces and the armament inspectorate, and after that, it was clear that this was not the right direction," he says.

“The cost of upgrading second-hand aircraft would be high, and their capabilities would be small.”

Deputy commander in chief of the Polish armed forces Gen Jan Sliwka stresses that Poland had been “surprised” by how much Romania paid to upgrade a batch of F-16A/Bs acquired from Portugal.

“It cost more than the price of the same number of new aircraft,” he says.

"We could say that the cost of acquiring used a F-16 would be bigger than buying a new one and that is why we will not go in that direction," says Kownacki.

Warsaw has yet to decide whether to acquire new F-16s or the F-35, although Kownacki notes the high cost of the latter.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...FGFDN-2017-0329-GLOBnews&sfid=70120000000taAm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I am not wrong, USA has approved sale of 18 new or 36 used units. Since re-sales too happen with the consent of USA, I don't think Pakistan has option to procure more than approved number.

But do share if this is not the case.

If I am not wrong, USA has approved sale of 18 new or 36 used units. Since re-sales too happen with the consent of USA, I don't think Pakistan has option to procure more than approved number.

But do share if this is not the case.
18 New, which might have expired.

These are used A/B which and given their qty will require a separate approval. Nonetheless it will definitely strengthen the Pak -US relationship, something uncle sam needs to seriously think about.

@CENTCOM Here's an opportunity for you, on a silver platter. Lets see what you make of it.

@MastanKhan Your opinion please!

i think chapter for PAF acquiring new F-16 should be closed

in my opinion, used MLUed F-16 window is closing fast from PAF perspective.

Well PAF has shown to be biased towards vipers, hence I opened a thread, on this new opportunity.

First we need to see what becomes of the Jordanian F-16s which are pending approval from Washington.
Bro, you are right, but these are EDA, so they might have a different result.

we have 78 f16's taking the number up to 150 would be ideal tbh. 150 upgraded f16's with 200 odd jf17's would be ideal. then you add your 4.5 generations fighters 30 to 36 and you have a potent air force capable of anything

it all depends upon our diplomacy, with our weak diplomacy and strong Indian presence, cheaper options will not work

an option that might work(because it brings revenue in the USA) is asking for deal similar to what Indonesia did, 24 jets for 700 million dollars but had just 3000 hours on them and more expensive than other second hand jets options

ultimately, unless Pakistan up its games in diplomacy(we are neither pleasing them nor developing an independent policy) the window for f-16 is closed. its no longer realistic to get more f-16s, though a shame its such a good fighter.

we have 78 f16's taking the number up to 150 would be ideal tbh. 150 upgraded f16's with 200 odd jf17's would be ideal. then you add your 4.5 generations fighters 30 to 36 and you have a potent air force capable of anything
but where you going to get those 70 jets?
only option is used f-16s from EDA stock, would still cost 2-3 billion dollars, which we dont have due to fragile economy
despite all claims our econmy has not picked up, the growth is purely seen in investment related infrastructural, exports are still going down, current account deficit is all time high and power problems not solved, not going to before 2020 due to poor planning during first few years of PML N tenure,PPPP didnt even tried

Last edited:
18 New, which might have expired.

These are used A/B which and given their qty will require a separate approval. Nonetheless it will definitely strengthen the Pak -US relationship, something uncle sam needs to seriously think about.

@CENTCOM Here's an opportunity for you, on a silver platter. Lets see what you make of it.

@MastanKhan Your opinion please!

How much life they have? And how capable vs price they are?

Some Pakistanis capability for self-delusion is incredible. You want Pakistan to be free from US influence yet continue to pursue F-16s and hope for the best, knowing full well that US will give with one hand and hit you with another.

Then the same people complain about US duplicity. Then they quickly forget it and resume wanting F-16s. Repat

I think PAF has moved on mentally from the F-16s and are pursuing other options.

not siding with Gulf countries atleast diplomatically was another example of our poor diplomacy

siding with gulf in exchange for pure econmical investment would have brought investment equivalent to what CPEC is with huge option of taping market and man power export

we need to get some lessons from india despite being a multi ethnic multi religious country it has been extremely sucessful in its diplomacy

Bro, you are right, but these are EDA, so they might have a different result.
The way PAF views it is that the original requirement for 40 odd Block-52s was only half fulfilled hence the requirement for another squadron still exists, but with new administration in the white house, all such dealings is currently frozen. Anything that doesn't boost the US economy remains on the back burner.

The way PAF views it is that the original requirement for 40 odd Block-52s was only half fulfilled hence the requirement for another squadron still exists, but with new administration in the white house, all such dealings is currently frozen. Anything that doesn't boost the US economy remains on the back burner.
So Jordanian vipers not coming to PAF?

Back
Top Bottom