What's new

USAF increases scope of F-16 SLEP to include more aircraft and airframe hours

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1700265_-_main.jpg

An F-16 undergoes durability testing in Lockheed Martin's Full Scale Durability Test facility in Fort Worth, Texas, ahead of the USAF's decision to approve a service life extension of up to 300 aircraft from 8,000 hours to 12,000 hours. It has now been revealed that 841 F-16s will have their hours increased to 13,856. Source: Lockheed Martin

The US Air Force (USAF) is to increase the number of aircraft and additional airframe hours to be included in a planned service-life extension programme (SLEP) of its fleet of Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft.

While the service had previously stated that up to 300 of the service's 1,017 Block 40/42 and 50/52 C- and D-model aircraft would see their airframe hours increased from the current 8,000 hours to 12,000 hours (an increase equivalent to about eight years of operational flying), a notice posted by the service on the Federal Business Opportunities (FedBizOpps) website on 12 June says that these numbers are now to grow to 841 aircraft and 13,856 hours.

"The F-16 USAF SLEP intends to extend the aircraft's current structural service life from 8,000 equivalent flight hours (EFH) up to 13,856 EFH by modifying and/or repairing life limiting, fractural critical, and safety of flight critical structure. This effort seeks to award a contract to a vendor who can manufacture and/or procure, assemble, and deliver up to the estimated maximum quantity of 841 F-16 Block 40-52, C/D-Model SLEP modification kits necessary to extend the structural service life of these aircraft, in accordance with Government standards and specifications defined in the Technical Data Package (TDP)," the notice said.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options: ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(233 of 341 words)

http://www.janes.com/article/71414/...p-to-include-more-aircraft-and-airframe-hours

The upside is that it's technically feasible. Downside is it potentially reduces the amount of excess F-16s available to PAF for a second hand purchase.
I think purchasing second hand f16 from USAF was never an option ... US F16s are updated ones and are the most used ones so they will not be cheaper ...

We re looking for aircrafts with higher remaining structrual life whereas they are curently old blk so that we can purchase them cheap and can update near to blk 52 standards ...

I think any available excess airframes would have been game so long as it was suitable for upgrade. Look at Indonesia buying block 30 or 32s. I think if political conditions allowed in the future perhaps PAF would have been able to pick up some used USAF models. Although that sounds unlikely now politically, who knows in the future.

In any case, this will reduce any potential inventory. Although likely at this point PAF has moved on...

There are some 40 Block 42s made & being operated by USAF & they are standardizing on GE powered Block 40s & 50s & soon these 42s wmay become available.

PAF must strive to get these as these can be easily & cheaply upgradable, have 229 engines, heavier load undercarriage & they have internal fittings to mount the CFTs to extend the range. These attributes are not available below Block 40/42.

5th gen fighters are truly impressive but expensive and handful of countries can afford to buy and operate . With both Russian and Chinese have realized that how much it is difficult to develop and operate such fighters the world is moving to 4++ Gen like Su-35/Mig 31 and now US is realizing the utilization of these F15 /F16 till 2030-35 . I always wonder stealth is over rated

Well maybe many people will make fun of me, I don't know we get j-31 which price, but if we able to get license, it will be cost around 75-80M per piece, in if we buy maximum 100 beautiful birds, we will able to get maximum technology, so we can use that technology in jf-17 and we will able to build a mediam weight jf-17 version with 5th generation tech and low mentaince cost as MRCA,that will able us to counter Indian (MMRCA)
So we will have till 2030
J-31
*100 as front line aircraft
Mediam weight jf-17 with whatever name
Jf-17
That's make 500 birds,
(76 f-16 should be sell to fill the gap of 100 j-31)
Now you guys are free to abuse me,for this nonsence

F 16 is still a very capable Program what I like about the jet it sock up anything new in itself and still with 40 years old frame it can defeat newer jets

F 16 is still a very capable Program what I like about the jet it sock up anything new in itself and still with 40 years old frame it can defeat newer jets

Can't we go for upgrading all our 76 f-16's to block 60 V standard??? I know that Congress blocked our 8 F-16 bid but they said we need to pay full amount and they are not ready to FMF it but are ready to give 8 F-16 to us if we pay full amount.

$0.7-0.8 Bn will be the cost for upgrading all our F-16's to Block V standard which will give this beast a new life and this sexy chick will become more powerful and will be a super response to Indian Rafale.

With this upgraded F-16s, JF-17 block 3 and J-20/31 in future our air force will become more deadly.

@Zarvan

Well maybe many people will make fun of me, I don't know we get j-31 which price, but if we able to get license, it will be cost around 75-80M per piece, in if we buy maximum 100 beautiful birds, we will able to get maximum technology, so we can use that technology in jf-17 and we will able to build a mediam weight jf-17 version with 5th generation tech and low mentaince cost as MRCA,that will able us to counter Indian (MMRCA)
So we will have till 2030
J-31
*100 as front line aircraft
Mediam weight jf-17 with whatever name
Jf-17
That's make 500 birds,
(76 f-16 should be sell to fill the gap of 100 j-31)
Now you guys are free to abuse me,for this nonsence

Dude our airforce fighter jet requirements is 350-400 fighter jets excluding navy. It is the best time now to look for 5th gen fighter jets and 4/4.5th generation fighter jets.

I guess this outlook will be good:-

J-20/31 = 50
F-16 = 76 (all upgraded to block 60 V standard)
JF-17 = 250 (all upgraded to block 3 standard)

It will make our air force fighter jets strength to 376 and for navy we can replace their Mirage 5 with used Mirage 2000-09, btw I am not sure how many fighter jets navy operates.

i was reading about Egyptian Airforce and their aircraft inventory, their last year military budget was 5.37 Billion $ on the other hand pakistan's this year military budget is 8.7 Billion $ but a huge difference could be observed in over all inventory of both countries.

Egypt Aircraft Inventories:

F-16 C-D : 228
Dassualt Rafale : 6 total 16 on order
Mirage 2000 : 18
Mirage V : 82
Mig 35 : 48 on order ........... and list goes on since they have Mig 21 fishbed and J-7 with a total of more than 100 aircrafts etc.

on the other hand Pakistan airforce:

F-16s : 76
JF-17: 86
Mirage III and 5: more than 150
F-7s : 193.

question is .. how Egyptians are able to procure that many aircrafts under such military budget and pakistan dont?????

Back
Top Bottom