What's new

USAF chief successfully completes flying sortie in LCA Tejas

How is your crystal ball working bro? Seriously, how can you be so sure? India has had a history of parallely operating 5-7 different types of platforms in combat role and no matter whatever news you hear, Tejas will still fit in.
Good jet, seen its demo at Bahrain, very professional bunch of people. The IAF indeed has had a history of operating different platforms, thus causing their own maintenance issues and hangar queens (I'm quoting a former BAE Systems employee who was there on the Jaguar/Hawk programs). It is a good design, powered by a good engine. The project timeline has been a string of failures, I believe that is all he is trying to say.

It will have to fit in.....the image is more important than its potential in the early stages.

Above is an interesting link of the current USAF chief, who was shot down over Serbia. He was a squadron commander on F-16s.

The Irony being , that instead of adding something constructive, even Old Guys like you are still busy with their "teen age" habits of worthless Trolling.

Rationally , I feel any one having a real sense of "self respect" will critisize what they never did in the first place. In India, we really adore and respect China for their Huge Achievements. India is trying really hard to achieve the same path of economic and technological milestones which China has. Its very difficult. Needs Huge Investment and Focus, but we are doing it.

The Soaring Economy of India is a Perfect Proof. We are still far behind China, but Im really proud that our Govt. if not busy in blaming another nation for its own failures, but promoting new projects and scientific research steadily.

Just look how Saudis are spending huge huge money to start a "Silicon Valley", Its an Ecosystem to not only develop new jobs, and technology , but an effort to start something entirely new.

With LCA, India Developed Its own MMR, AESA, FBW, Composites, BVRs and an entire ecosystem of Aerospace which was non existent. These technologies will never be shared by ANY nation with ANY ToT !

This is VERY VERY Different than just making a Full Aircraft at home ( Su MKI ) Including its Engines ! with ToT . Something which Pakistan doesn't do even with the JF17s

As far as the Tejas is concerned, it is a failed project. It doesn’t do what it was supposed to do at the time it was supposed to do. It doesn’t serve its primary customer or any other customer it was originally designed for.

Not because it is a bad aircraft but because your R&D leadership bungled all every bit of progress made by uncoordinated but brilliant hard work.

The problem is that most of you Indians are a nation that is addicted to self fellatio. You simply cannot tolerate criticism or even see when you messed up so bad that it essentially is akin your kind needing to eat from your anus and spew out the other end.
Moreover, you cannot tolerate the progress of your own selves against another let alone tolerate the progress of those whom you hold vile venom for.

It is a national disease that is long imbibed in the annals of history.

As far as the Tejas is concerned, it is a failed project. It doesn’t do what it was supposed to do at the time it was supposed to do. It doesn’t serve its primary customer or any other customer it was originally designed for.

Not because it is a bad aircraft but because your R&D leadership bungled all every bit of progress made by uncoordinated but brilliant hard work.

The problem is that most of you Indians are a nation that is addicted to self fellatio. You simply cannot tolerate criticism or even see when you messed up so bad that it essentially is akin your kind needing to eat from your anus and spew out the other end.
Moreover, you cannot tolerate the progress of your own selves against another let alone tolerate the progress of those whom you hold vile venom for.

Seeing the amount of burn you and similar exhibit , its success is worth in gold.
Frankly its value is beyond your understanding level so i dont blame you.

"Successfully Completed" .......

Exactly, this is what I was thinking.
What was the need to say it like that, was it full of doubts, that Teja can successfully complete this sortie? does not sound very confident.

but good luck, and now USA should advise to deploy Tejas in Afghanistan, as Trumps Do More to India in his new strategy.

As usual you don't know what you are talking about. Criticize for the sake of criticizing, not because you have something to contribute.

The LCA was designed to be effective for at least 40 years after its induction in the late 2000s. The delays may have eaten away at least 10 years off that, but that effectively leaves us with 30 years of actual operational use left.

As long as IAF operates the Jaguar, M-2000 and MKI, the LCA will be useful. Those are the aircraft it's been designed to support. And considering the capabilities of the enemies it has to face, the LCA does not have an uphill task ahead.

There was a time when it was seen as a major failure. In terms of specs, it only came up to the performance capabilities of the JF-17. By our standards, the LCA Mk1 was terrible and not worth the investment beyond the 40 envisioned. And the definitive version, the LCA Mk2, was nowhere in sight. With the closest date for IOC being 2027, it was too little too late. The problem is your story ends here. You left the theater before watching the conclusion.

The SOP-18 has been a major turnaround. The loss of the Rafale deal and the French criticisms on the capabilities of HAL really stung them. With the motivation to prove their detractors wrong, they brought the LCA Mk1 back to the drawing board and have made major changes to the base design. The result: The IAF will get the last 30 years off this jet before the Jaguars, M-2000s and MKIs retire, and with specs that surpass their requirements.

Hi @Oscar
I wish to add that some of your points are correct, while some are not. I will touch upon both. It is correct that Tejas couldnt perform as per the requirements of the forces in the time frame it was required to do these things. And I am sure a lot has been written in media, seminars and CAG reports that are available in public forum. These delays stem from the fact that R&D was uncoordinated and poorly managed-- I am talking about 90s and 2000s. Of course the bureaucracy played it's part as well. During the initial stages of design and development the user was hardly the part of design process and it was entirely handled by ADA. This resulted in disconnect between the achieved platform and desired capabilities. That is the reason why in spite of first flight taking place in 2001, it took nearly 15 years to bring the aircraft to the level deemed acceptable for deployment by IAF. Sadly those responsible for such inordinate delays rarely gets flaked. However in my fair assessment--based on my personal interaction-- most of the shortcomings(expansion of flight envelope, maintainability etc) have been overcome.
One must always bear it in mind that LCA(just like JF-17) is a light weight aircraft and there is a limit to what one can extract in terms of aerodynamic performance and endurance. For instance, it's rejection by the navy can be attributed to the fact that it is a single engine light aircraft and hence wont be able to take off from a stobar carrier with full payload(3.5-4tonnes). One can not expect endurance on the lines of F-16 or Su-30. There is only so much that can be done with the Fly by wire controls to enhance the flight characteristics. In hindsight though, LCA did help India establish an entire ecosystem of aerospace research. This manifests itself in 4 major forms :
(a) Academic research,
(b) Industrial research
(c) Capability of industry to absorb and assimilate foreign technology.
(d) Capability of industry to design and produce indigenous technology.
And I am sure if you categorically analyze all the 4 points above, without your bias, you would understand what India has achieved--notwithstanding the delays.
And lastly, It is fallacy to assume what Indians are as a nation based on remarks of folks totally un-related to the project. In my view, remarks of those who were never associated with the project or have no experience working on aero systems shouldnt be taken into account at all. Do you really think it is wise to take the remarks of fanboys or rhetoric of politicians at face value?

PS: As far as these flights are concerned(where foreign dignitaries are flown into LCA), they are nothing more than PR stunts.

Tejas slowly revealing to everyone that it's a success story.
I don't even consider it truly late. Whatever postponing that happened was for the best, provided we get to 24 per year by 2021. Mk1A is the way to go. No need to have a hundred IOC tier crafts and then do an upgrade exercise.
Using an established engine is also doing wonders to its reputation.
Wait for post 2025 for Kaveri in Mk2.

What are those yellow thingies at the start of video ?
Mirrors and scrubbers.

tejas is past its worth. if anything left it will be over by the time of its induction.
its nothing more than a learning curve. where we must realise what and how mistake can be made.

imagine the actual date of its integration in full squadron units. it will be too late for its age. the war might even be done and dusted beforw that.

tejas is past its worth. if anything left it will be over by the time of its induction.
its nothing more than a learning curve. where we must realise what and how mistake can be made.

imagine the actual date of its integration in full squadron units. it will be too late for its age. the war might even be done and dusted beforw that.
You think 4th gen fighters will be obsolete next decade?
Jaguar and Mirage will serve way past that. Only advantage they have is higher payload.

You think 4th gen fighters will be obsolete next decade?
Jaguar and Mirage will serve way past that. Only advantage they have is higher payload.
you think in next 15 years it will make any sense to have a fourth gen fighter.
4th gen fighter will be nowhere close to drones of that age.

future drones with A.I will be too hpt to handle even for decent 5th gen fighters.

there will be electronic warfare with drone tech.

tejas and jf might endup like a bullet in motogp.

you think in next 15 years it will make any sense to have a fourth gen fighter.
4th gen fighter will be nowhere close to drones of that age.

future drones with A.I will be too hpt to handle even for decent 5th gen fighters.

there will be electronic warfare with drone tech.

tejas and jf might endup like a bullet in motogp.
I disagree.
4th gen will be the spine of most air forces until the dusk of this century. US will fly F16 until 2050.
All this AI talk is still nonsense that won't see proper military inductions until at least the next century. Machine learning will of course be applied, but that won't be limited to drones. And it'll be mostly used for ground targets.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom