What's new

US Senator suggests a couple of permanent USAF bases in Afghanistan

American Eagle

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
The below article came from the Monday, January 3, 2011 issue of THE PESHAWAR FRONTIER POST:

US Senator wants permanent American air bases in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON (NNI): The United States needs to have several permanent Air bases in Afghanistan which would not only target al-Qaeda and Taliban hideouts inside the country, but also the safe havens in Pakistan for long times to come, a top American Senator has said.

According to Deccan Herald, top Republican Senator Lindsay Graham in an interview to NBC news said he wants the Obama Administration to consider establishing permanent military bases in Afghanistan. "I think it would be enormously beneficial to the region as well as Afghanistan. We have had air bases all over the world. A couple of air bases in Afghanistan would allow the Afghan security forces an edge against the Taliban in perpetuity.

It would be a signal to Pakistan, the Taliban are never going to come back in Afghanistan that it could change their behavior," Graham said. "It would be a signal to the whole region that Afghanistan is going to be a new and different place.

And if the Afghan people want this relationship they are going to have to earn it. But I hope that they will seek a relationship with the US before we can have an enduring relationship, economic and militarily and politically," he said.

"A couple of air bases in Afghanistan will give us an edge militarily, give the Afghan security forces an edge militarily to ensure that country never goes back into the hands of Taliban which would be a stabilizing advance throughout the whole region. That has to be earned by the Afghan people and has to be requested by them," Graham said.

I think he forgot that Afghanistan (The so Called Graveyard of Empires) is not Japan which was concurred by the USA that allowed them to install their bases over there.

In Afghanistan US and allies are losing if they haven't lost already , so how on earth someone can come up with an idea of building permanent air bases in Afghanistan.

What US should do is pack their bags in C-17s and go home & do not look back , provide Education and Economic aid to Afghanistan for coming years rather than building permanent bases which will just confirm in the minds of Afghans the notion that US is an Imperialist.

Afghanistan is a safe heaven for these evil minded terrorist, we shall never allow them to take shelter anywhere they go!

Afghanistan will be an ally forever.

So will Iraq, and both of these nations will be able to defend themselves militarily, and be independent with there own interest.

Credit to Pakistan for complying with our fight on terror.... And the more you continue the more good toys you will get (F-16s, Flood AID, Education)

I assure you that Pakistan will one day get along with India as that is our intention.

I think he forgot that Afghanistan (The so Called Graveyard of Empires) is not Japan which was concurred by the USA that allowed them to install their bases over there.

In Afghanistan US and allies are losing if they haven't lost already , so how on earth someone can come up with an idea of building permanent air bases in Afghanistan.

What US should do is pack their bags in C-17s and go home & do not look back , provide Education and Economic aid to Afghanistan for coming years rather than building permanent bases which will just confirm in the minds of Afghans the notion that US is an Imperialist.

We cannot simply just leave Afghanistan the way it is. Militarily they are unable to defend themselves.

The logical thing to do, is to stay in the region until they are beaten. It might take a year, it might take another 10 years...

Once the attacks stop, and if intelligence confirms success, then we will pull out.

As far as education, and flood aid, and other interest we will never leave.

In the future there will be high rises, and a good working government.. and to stable the region once and for all

The real intentions coming out..soon someone will suggest that these airbases be used to get a foot hold in C.Asia!

Once the attacks stop, and if intelligence confirms success, then we will pull out.
The same intelligence which cannot find OBL, the one man show this war has been launched for. The same intelligence which confirmed Iraqi WMD??

We cannot simply just leave Afghanistan the way it is. Militarily they are unable to defend themselves.

The logical thing to do, is to stay in the region until they are beaten. It might take a year, it might take another 10 years...

As far as education, and flood aid, and other interest we will never leave.

In the future there will be high rises, and a good working government.. and to stable the region once and for all

You do not speak for US govt and neither you are part of the decision making process in the USA. Whatever you have just said is your personal opinion which doesn't match US's official stance on Afghanistan.

International talks eye exit strategy from Afghanistan - USATODAY.com

You have no idea who we know, what our career paths are and may yet be. For sure we do not know each other. But we are both accurately defined on the PDF as military professionals, and that title is accurate.

You on the other hand are a newspaper reader/follower/no independent knowledge of what is happeing anywhere around the world.

For myself I have had interactive contacts from both Pakistanis and Afghanistans as well as from Iraqis following 911. Family, friends, and many, many overseas natives of these lands who use my letters to the editor open e-mail address to confidentially share with me their needs, fears, and hopes for a better future.

I thus have a great deal of first hand info to know how dasdardly and murderous both the Taliban and al Qaida are, especially inside the northern territories of Pakistan.

So, at least in my case, my comments are not speculative nor idyl.

It took over 50 years to overcome the old Communist Cold War threat. It may take even longer to overcome terrorist zealotry which is self-created religious mumbo jumbo in the disguise of what is to those of you who are practicing Muslims intended to be a peaceful religion, not bent on forced conversions, but seeking to go along to get along with the rest of the world's religions and society.

All religions are a way of life, a system of living, not just Islam, with all due respect and value to those who do practice the positive and peaceful tenants of Islam.

Last edited:
I think usa has already working on this plan.Most of the bases will be located in north.Kabul will be one o them.It will leave southern Afghanistan.USA gonna rely heavily on drones.

What is the latest news on Iranian military forces pursuing, successfully, and capturing/killing al Qaida terrorists in the northern territories of Pakistan?

What is the plan of both Pakistan and China to defend the new Port of Gwadar from the desert side toward Iran?

What is the latest news on Iranian military forces pursuing, successfully, and capturing/killing al Qaida terrorists in the northern territories of Pakistan?

What is the plan of both Pakistan and China to defend the new Port of Gwadar from the desert side toward Iran?

Iran invading Pakistan.
I bet even USA will provide us free nukes to take care of that!

Iranian troops have crossed into Pakistan northern areas within the past one week. Check this site for specifics. Otherwise check SMALL WARS JOURNAL on line by subject...even as a non-member of the SWJ you can do topical searches for facts and figures.

Ya know when so many said 'Iran is not Iraq'? Well...The US is not the USSR or the Romans or the Brits. If we do decide to stay in Afghanistan, we will provide education and economic aid, just like for the Germans and the Japanese.

Brother,

Japan was subjugated through nuclear weapons.

Taliban have yet to see such awesome firepower.

Ya know when so many said 'Iran is not Iraq'? Well...The US is not the USSR or the Romans or the Brits. If we do decide to stay in Afghanistan, we will provide education and economic aid, just like for the Germans and the Japanese.

That is what you owe to the Afghan people anyway for what they have done for the US and for the world by defeating USSR.

This is the only solution to the problem not the military bases.

They already set up Permanent Bases in Iraq so i think they can expand it to Afghanistan as well. All they would need is a agreement with the government. If you look at some of the bases they have in Iraq they are huge and probably meant for them to stay there.

Back
Top Bottom