What's new

US Politics

It's been more than a week since Trump was above 35% approval in the gold standard of presidential indicators

Allan Smith

President Donald Trump appears to have bottomed out in the Gallup daily presidential tracking poll.

For the past eight days, Trump's approval rating in the poll has not risen above 35%, falling each day at either 35% or 34%, tied for the lowest mark of his presidency.

His disapproval mark over that stretch has stuck at either 59% or 60%, close to his presidential high of 61%.

The eight-day stretch, which began with Gallup's August 20 poll, is the worst of his presidency. Before then, Trump's approval had twice slipped to 35% or below: He hit 34% on August 13 and 35% on March 28.

On the disapproval side, Trump's rating had reached at least 59% on 13 occasions before his current eight-day slide.

Here's the Gallup tracking poll:

screen%20shot%202017-08-29%20at%2035936%20pm.png

Gallup has tracked the approval of every president since Harry S. Truman. Only Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton have hit ratings nearly as low as Trump this early in an administration — Ford had 37% approval on his 157th day in office, and Clinton had 37% approval on his 137th day.

No president has gone below 37% within their first 520 days in office — a percentage Trump has met consistently within his first 220 days as president.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-gallup-poll-low-approval-rating-2017-8

Kamala Harris joins with Bernie Sanders to back ‘Medicare-for-all’ health care bill

By Angela Hart

Harris

Sen. Kamala Harris said she would joining with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders to support a Medicare-for-all health care system.

U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris on Wednesday told a crowd of mostly liberal activists that she plans to co-sponsor a “Medicare-for-all” bill pushed by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders that would create a national health insurance system.

Hundreds of people who packed the Beebe Memorial Cathedral church roared and cheered in applause when Harris said she’d “break some news” about her plans. Harris posted on Twitter shortly after that she intends to “co-sponsor the Medicare for All bill because it’s just the right thing to do.”

The term is synonymous with single-payer health care, a system in which the government organizes health care financing, ending the need for insurance companies.

Her message was the opposite to that of her U.S. Senate colleague, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who balked at supporting a single-payer system at an event in San Francisco Tuesday night, instead voicing support for a public insurance option to compete with private plans.
Sanders quickly responded to Harris on Twitter, saying “Thank you @KamalaHarris for your support. Let’s make health care a right, not a privilege.”

In a follow-up interview, Harris told The Sacramento Bee that public attention on the national health care debate, following two failed Republican attempts to repeal and replace Obamacare, could be a signal that the time is right to adopt a single-payer system.

“As we talk about moving toward a single-payer system, I think that there’s certainly momentum and energy around that, and when I get back to D.C., I’ll have a better sense of where people are now that they’ve been home,” Harris said. “I think that the recent history on the issue of health care is very telling...Americans are making it very clear when they defeated the repeal of the (Affordable Care Act) that they don’t want us playing politics with their health care.”

During the town hall, Harris implored hundreds of people in the audience to fight Trump and the national Republican agenda.

“This is a moment in time that is challenging us to fight – to not turn a blind eye, but to face and confront the truths that are challenging this country,” Harris said, repeating the phrase several times.

Harris said Democrats in Washington and California must continue fighting the stance of Trump and his administration on health care, climate change, gay marriage and white supremacy.

“I believe we should keep an open mind...but the wrong side is the side with the torches and the swastikas,” Harris said, a dig at Trump’s initial response to the August white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

Outside the town hall, some who identified themselves as strong Harris supporters carried signs endorsing a shelved California Senate proposal to create a universal, single-payer system for the state.

“Everyone deserves good health care,” said Abhimanyudas Das, 66, of Vallejo, who carried a sign showing his support for Senate Bill 562 from state Sens. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, and Toni Atkins, D-San Diego.

“We all deserve it,” Das said.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article170350962.html

Kamala Harris joins with Bernie Sanders to back ‘Medicare-for-all’ health care bill

By Angela Hart

Harris

Sen. Kamala Harris said she would joining with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders to support a Medicare-for-all health care system.

U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris on Wednesday told a crowd of mostly liberal activists that she plans to co-sponsor a “Medicare-for-all” bill pushed by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders that would create a national health insurance system.

Hundreds of people who packed the Beebe Memorial Cathedral church roared and cheered in applause when Harris said she’d “break some news” about her plans. Harris posted on Twitter shortly after that she intends to “co-sponsor the Medicare for All bill because it’s just the right thing to do.”

The term is synonymous with single-payer health care, a system in which the government organizes health care financing, ending the need for insurance companies.

Her message was the opposite to that of her U.S. Senate colleague, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who balked at supporting a single-payer system at an event in San Francisco Tuesday night, instead voicing support for a public insurance option to compete with private plans.
Sanders quickly responded to Harris on Twitter, saying “Thank you @KamalaHarris for your support. Let’s make health care a right, not a privilege.”

In a follow-up interview, Harris told The Sacramento Bee that public attention on the national health care debate, following two failed Republican attempts to repeal and replace Obamacare, could be a signal that the time is right to adopt a single-payer system.

“As we talk about moving toward a single-payer system, I think that there’s certainly momentum and energy around that, and when I get back to D.C., I’ll have a better sense of where people are now that they’ve been home,” Harris said. “I think that the recent history on the issue of health care is very telling...Americans are making it very clear when they defeated the repeal of the (Affordable Care Act) that they don’t want us playing politics with their health care.”

During the town hall, Harris implored hundreds of people in the audience to fight Trump and the national Republican agenda.

“This is a moment in time that is challenging us to fight – to not turn a blind eye, but to face and confront the truths that are challenging this country,” Harris said, repeating the phrase several times.

Harris said Democrats in Washington and California must continue fighting the stance of Trump and his administration on health care, climate change, gay marriage and white supremacy.

“I believe we should keep an open mind...but the wrong side is the side with the torches and the swastikas,” Harris said, a dig at Trump’s initial response to the August white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

Outside the town hall, some who identified themselves as strong Harris supporters carried signs endorsing a shelved California Senate proposal to create a universal, single-payer system for the state.

“Everyone deserves good health care,” said Abhimanyudas Das, 66, of Vallejo, who carried a sign showing his support for Senate Bill 562 from state Sens. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, and Toni Atkins, D-San Diego.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article170350962.html

Government-run healthcare? I don't think so. Wait till people hear what it entails: rationing.

By Angela Hart

Harris

This would be a monumental task, considering the Republicans are the majority in the Senate and Congress and conservatives are almost guaranteed to oppose beneficial programs and especially one of this magnitude that would essentially deny hundreds of billions of $ to insurance companies. Sad but true, and even if a bill like this would miraculously make it to the President's desk, you know this guy would veto it without even reading it.

The single-payer system seems to be working just fine in Canada...

Canada population -30 + million
US population - 300+ million

Canada and Australia have excellent primary health care system but the wait times are a killer. The healthcare system does not cover things like eyes, dental etc etc as well.
Emergency - very good
non-Emergency - you are fooked.

Many in these countries do have outside health insurance which are excellent and cover a lot of things.

A nice article on the same.

https://www.formosapost.com/pros-and-cons-of-universal-health-care-in-canada/

Canada population -30 + million
US population - 300+ million

Canada and Australia have excellent primary health care system but the wait times are a killer. The healthcare system does not cover things like eyes, dental etc etc as well.
Emergency - very good
non-Emergency - you are fooked.

Many in these countries do have outside health insurance which are excellent and cover a lot of things.

A nice article on the same.

https://www.formosapost.com/pros-and-cons-of-universal-health-care-in-canada/

I don't agree with your simple conclusions. But your article isn't bad. I read it.

This would be a monumental task, considering the Republicans are the majority in the Senate and Congress and conservatives are almost guaranteed to oppose beneficial programs and especially one of this magnitude that would essentially deny hundreds of billions of $ to insurance companies. Sad but true, and even if a bill like this would miraculously make it to the President's desk, you know this guy would veto it without even reading it.

Ya, there's no chance of a Republican Senate passing it, or a Republican President signing it. But, it is nice to gather support for the measure. Support for these things takes time. It would be nice to have the Democratic Party support single payer health insurance at some point. I do realize that it could take years, however.

I don't agree with your simple conclusions. But your article isn't bad. I read it.

They are not so simple, I agree.

My point was, universal health care is NOT really universal health care in Canada or Australia.
It's only Emergency Health care.

One of the reasons why a patient waits years for a simple knee replacement in these countries, is a pointer to the other side, which deals with economics.
If USA wants a universal health care on par with even that of Canada, the taxes have to substantially improve and I don't mean by 5%. we are talking about double digits.

There was a debate on numbers between Bernie and a republican. It was eye opening.

If USA wants a universal health care on par with even that of Canada, the taxes have to substantially improve and I don't mean by 5%. we are talking about double digits.

There was a debate on numbers between Bernie and a republican. It was eye opening.

I've followed some of this stuff and there was someone (I forget who it was) who formulated the math that would be needed to create an effective universal health plan and he claimed that the amount of money paid in premiums would essentially offset the increase in tax that would be needed to pay for a universal health care program. But the offset wouldn't be distributed evenly to those who pay premiums for their health insurance and it ends up falling more so in the hands of those who earn that proverbial "$200K a year or more," and that kind of proposition never sat well with any of the many who always oppose raising taxes on the wealthy. Conservatives have opposed that type of tax increase since the forefathers that basically promotes a welfare system at the cost of those who have earned their success and why should these people, essentially be penalized for being successful and earning more money in a capitalistic society, especially one that takes away profits form large institutions such as insurance companies which are tied into mega financial institutions as well. Once those entities are threatened, all hell breaks loose. Those are the institutions that get bailed out by the government, not penalized. It's a tough nut to crack.

Well, he does it again, what freaking embarrassment.

Pres Trump posted a picture of him with his wife and wished the country a happy Labor Day on Twitter:

“We are building our future with American hands, American labor, American iron, aluminum and steel. Happy Labor Day”

But there is one huge problem, in the picture his wife is wearing a dress by Greek designer and was made in Italy. There goes, American hands, American labor :lol:

Trump got Lost, while standing directly in front of his limousine... :lol:

But there is one huge problem, in the picture his wife is wearing a dress by Greek designer and was made in Italy. There goes, American hands, American labor :lol:

Not to mention that she is an immigrant...possibly an illegal one? LOL!

An AP investigation last November found Melania Trump lacked proper work visas when she was employed as a model after arriving in the U.S. from her native Slovenia more than two decades ago.

“No one in the Trump operation has released any of the documentation to indicate what was the circumstance, or whether she had full legal status,’’ Skinner told POLITICO California in an interview this week. “We only know they had a lawyer look at whatever papers she chose to give."

http://www.politico.com/states/cali...ding-melania-trump-immigration-records-109126

Maybe she's a DACA member! lol :D

Top senator: Russian Facebook ads were 'just the tip of the iceberg'
Natasha Bertrand

The vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Mark Warner, said Thursday that the purchase of $100,000 worth of Facebook ads from Russian-linked accounts during the 2016 election was only "the tip of the iceberg."Warner said during a panel event hosted by the Intelligence and National Security Alliance that it may be time to pass legislation requiring social-media companies to disclose the sources of campaign-related ads, and that he wanted to see "the back end" of Facebook's ad operations during the election.The Senate Intelligence Committee is investigating Russia's election interference, carried out via hacks on the Democratic National Committee and a fake-news campaign targeting Hillary Clinton and Democrats across various social-media platforms.

Days after Donald Trump won the election, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg dismissed the idea that the platform had been used to manipulate voters as "pretty crazy."

But Facebook's chief security officer, Alex Stamos, said
in a statement Wednesday that after a months-long review, the company found "approximately $100,000 in ad spending from June of 2015 to May of 2017 — associated with roughly 3,000 ads — that was connected to about 470 inauthentic accounts and Pages in violation of our policies."

Facebook found upon analyzing those accounts and pages that they "were affiliated with one another and likely operated out of Russia," Stamos said.

Americans "ought to be able to know if there is foreign-sponsored [internet] content coming into their electoral process," Warner said Thursday. "That becomes a method of influence exponentially, I would argue, bigger than TV and radio."

Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, said in a statement on Wednesday that he too was "keenly interested in Russia's use of social media platforms, both the use of bots and trolls to spread disinformation and propaganda, including through the use of paid online advertising."

An 'army of well-paid trolls'

Schiff told MSNBC on Thursday morning that he also wanted to know how sophisticated the ads were — in terms of their content and targets — to determine whether they had any help from the Trump campaign.

Facebook said in its statement that about 25% of the ads purchased by Russians "were geographically targeted." Facebook representatives told lawmakers behind closed doors Wednesday that the ad sales had been traced back to a notorious Russian "troll farm,"
according to The Washington Post.

Warner said Thursday that while "we know about the hacking, as a former tech guy, what really concerns me is that there were upwards of 1,000 paid internet trolls working out of Russia taking over computers, making botnets, and generating news down to specific areas."

Adrian Chen, a freelance journalist who's now a staff writer at The New Yorker, researched Russia's "army of well-paid trolls" for an explosive exposé published in The New York Times Magazine in June 2015. He told Longform's Max Linsky in a podcast that December that he found that many of the trolls he had been monitoring "turned into conservative accounts, like fake conservatives" as the election progressed.

"I don't know what's going on, but they're all tweeting about Donald Trump and stuff," Chen told Linsky.

Linsky asked Chen who he thought "was paying for that."

"I don't know," Chen replied. "I feel like it's some kind of really opaque strategy of electing Donald Trump to undermine the US or something. Like false-flag kind of thing. You know, that's how I started thinking about all this stuff after being in Russia."

In his research from St. Petersburg, Chen discovered that Russian internet trolls — paid by the Kremlin to spread false information — had been behind several "highly coordinated campaigns" to deceive the American public.

It's a brand of information warfare known as "dezinformatsiya" that the Russians have used since at least the Cold War. The disinformation campaigns are only one "active measure" tool used by Russian intelligence to sow discord among — and within — allies perceived as hostile to Russia.

"Part of our responsibility is to put the American public on a higher level of alert that this time it was Russia, but it could be other foreign nations as well," Warner said Thursday. "We are in a whole new realm around cyber that provides opportunities — but also huge, huge threats for basic democracy."
Link

Do you liberals ever get tired of your lies? Why should we believe this when almost literally everything the liberal media has claimed about Trump was a hoax?

He didn't pay taxes in over 20 year remember? In reality he payed 32 million in a single year. The Russian hotel tapes are a complete hoax as well. Even James Comey testified that he never claimed Trump asked him to stop an investigation like the media was claiming. Then the media claimed Trump was lying about being wire taped when he was actually under surveillance and the media as well as Obama was the one lying. The list is dismal, leftist media is less credible then the National Enquirer. There is undercover video of CNN producers and staff admitting they are spreading "bullshit" about Russia for ratings :lol:
The media and Pres Obama was telling the truth, Trump was lying and now even his own Justice Department has admitted that there is no evidence to support Trump’s claim that Pres Obama ordered the wiretapping of Trump Towers during the election campaign.

"There is no evidence to support President Donald Trump's claim that President Barack Obama ordered the wiretapping of Trump Tower during the 2016 presidential campaign, the Justice Department said in a new court filing.

The DOJ made the statement in a motion for summary judgment filed Friday in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by the watchdog group American Oversight." Link

Trump is an embarrassment! :D

Not at all, as far as the Trump voters go:
Mind you, I was specifically talking about independent voters.

On one thing, we both can agree is that most independents voted for Trump because they believe he will be better for the economy and jobs. During the election campaign, Trump always had a commanding lead over Hillary on the economy in most polls. In a latest poll, 49% of independents said they believed Trump’s decisions in the office have weakened the US economy and only 31% said it has grown stronger under him. Link

he pulled out of the TPP his first? day in office.
Well, that was easy, since the agreement was not approved by the Congress, all he had to do was sign a piece of paper. The sad part is that he had very little knowledge about TPP, for example, he ignorantly thought that China was part of it. Anyhow, the big question is, can protectionist policies going to be good for the US economy, will it create good paying jobs as Trump promised, only time will tell, but so far one thing is very clear, it’s a big win for China. Links [1] [2]

he got out of the Paris climate thing. (yes, this is a win for a lot of people on the other side, both blue and white collar)
It was a bad decision, the United States now joins Nicaragua and Syria as the only Nations not part of the accord, SAD! China again jumps in to benefit from Trumps isolationist decision. Link

And the interesting fact is, by more than 5 to 1 margin, voters say the US should remain in the Paris agreement, including 61% of independents and almost half of Trump’s voters. Link

he got an uber literalist conservative judge into your supreme court. no small thing, for such an appointment will far outlast president Trump's own time in office, and probably his lifetime.
Agree.

he got the supreme court to go along with his travel ban from enemy nation Iran plus the other failed terror ravaged states.
Now, that’s a spin, Trump’s original plan was to ban all Muslims, that’s what he promised his followers during the campaign, remember? Link But once the candidate Trump became President Trump reality hit him on the head and he soon realized that the Constitution does create a system of checks and balances over a President, so he had to abandon his original plan and settle with a seven majority Muslim nations temporary ban, it was rightly struck down by a federal court, and then he came with yet another plan, this time only six-nation would be banned with some revised amendments, once again, the courts smacked down his revised ban. The Trump administration then appealed to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court accepted the ban with conditions: “with respect to foreign nationals who lack any bona fide relationship with the person or entity in the United States”, in other words, any person from the six countries who’s been accepted or sponsored by college, university or any business will be able to travel to the United States, and American citizens can sponsor their husband, wife, children, grandchildren, grandparents, brother in laws, sister in laws, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces and cousins. Well, well, well, that definitely does not look like Trump’s original plan or even his other two revised plans!?

don't go by the polls, remember how horribly wrong they had it earlier ? :toast_sign:
Actually, they were not “horribly wrong”, check it out: Link

You do realize that a lot of those same "white" voters flipped for Trump in a lot of those formerly democrat party bastions, right ? The slim margins mean nothing, he pulled off the impossible.
That was not the main reason Hillary lost the election, but that is a separate debate and if you are interested we can discuss that some other time.

But here’s an interesting poll from the Rust Belt: Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, the three key states that send Trump to the White House.

Former Pres Obama is perceived favorably by more than six in ten residents in Michigan, 64%, Pennsylvania, 62%, and Wisconsin, 61%.

On the other hand, Trump’s favorable rating are upside down. 59% of Michigan residents, 55% of those in Pennsylvania, and 61% of adults in Wisconsin’s have an unfavorable opinion of Trump. Link

Trump is a populist, and socially he's a liberal.. for example he's way more relaxed on the gay issue than Obama, who had to wait for years before he went all in. Yes, he banned "trans" frrom your military and Mike Pence is his VP but Trump will never go after gay marriage for instance. Those are victories that the libs have won, not open for debate, a win for personal liberty etc.
Trump is neither liberal nor conservative, he is a sham. Liberal on drugs can only have VP Mike Pence or pick Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court, or think a woman should be punished for having an abortion, so please.

Muller's got nothing on the president, at most they'll try and force nail Flynn or Manafort or someone like that on petty (or srs) charges.

That whole story is BS, Trump is an American nationalist, not a russian anything.
I don’t want to go in circles, let’s just wait and see.

talking shit about saudi arabia and related topics ? :angel:
But Trump has become Saudi Arabia’s friend now, didn’t you see him dancing on their tunes.:D

Last edited:
As long as the left continues to bury their head in the sand and continue to insult and drown the voices of those with opposing views, they are not winning any voters back.

Trump suffers yet another defeat. An appeal court in Washington, has upheld a lower court’s ruling. :usflag:

191464_600.jpg

9th Circuit narrows scope of Trump travel ban

By Ariane de Vogue, CNN Supreme Court Reporter
Updated 9:07 PM ET, Thu September 7, 2017

(CNN)The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals narrowed the scope of President Donald Trump's travel ban Thursday, ruling that extended family members such as grandparents are exempt from the ban, as well as a certain class of refugees, while the legality of the ban is under review.

The ruling from a three-judge panel changes the status quo, as it allows a group of refugees with contractual commitments from resettlement organizations to come into the country. The ruling will take effect in five days, the appeals court specified.

The case stems from a Supreme Court order back in June. In that order, the justices allowed the travel ban to go into effect pending appeal -- which will be heard October 10 -- except as it applies to those individuals with a "bona fide" relationship with the United States.
The travel ban bars people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering the US.

Almost as soon as the order was issued, parties from both sides scurried back to court seeking clarification of the exact meaning of a "bona fide" relationship.

Challengers to the travel ban, including lawyers for the state of Hawaii, argued that the Supreme Court did not mean for the ban to extend to some family members such as grandparents, or to a category of refugees that have a contractual commitment from resettlement organizations.

Lawyers for the Trump administration, on the other hand, argued that the challengers read the Supreme Court ruling too broadly.

The three judges hearing the case, Michael Hawkins, Ronald Gould and Richard Paez, who were all nominated to the bench by President Bill Clinton, were skeptical of the administration's arguments.

"The Government does not meaningfully argue how grandparents, grandchildren, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and cousins of persons in the United States can be considered to have 'no connection' to or 'lack any bona fide relationship' with persons in the United States," the judges wrote.

They also said that refugees in this case would be "in vulnerable limbo" in the meantime without action.
"Refugees have only a narrow window of time to complete their travel, as certain security and medical checks expire and must then be reinitiated. Even short delays may prolong a refugee's admittance," the judges wrote.

"Today's unanimous ruling is another big loss in court for the Trump administration on the travel ban," said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and law professor at the University of Texas. "The Supreme Court's interim June ruling had created ambiguity about who the ban could still apply to pending the court's full consideration of the case, but the Ninth Circuit held that the government was wrong to resolve that ambiguity against grandparents and refugees with prior connections to the United States. It's only a small change to the status quo legally, but it's a big slap in the face to the government for so badly misreading the Supreme Court's June decision." Link

As long as the left continues to bury their head in the sand and continue to insult and drown the voices of those with opposing views, they are not winning any voters back.
Would you care to elaborate?

Back
Top Bottom