What's new

US Politics

Trump’s Republican party :lol:

t9.jpg

Some Republicans want to oust a Muslim doctor from his GOP leadership role – because he’s Muslim
shafi.jpg

Shahid Shafi, right, with Gov. Greg Abbott (R) at the Tarrant County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner. (Courtesy of Shahid Shafi) ((Courtesy of Shahid Shafi)

By Meagan Flynn | The Washington Post

The first time Shahid Shafi ran for a seat on the city council in Southlake, Texas, in 2011, advisers assured him a Muslim in post-9/11 America who spoke with an accent and immigrated from Pakistan would never win an election in Texas.

It’s a story that Shafi, a Republican trauma surgeon, likes to tell because he didn’t believe them. He won the Southlake City Council seat on his second try, in 2014, has since served as a delegate to multiple Texas GOP conventions and, in July, was appointed vice chairman of the Tarrant County Republican Party, located in Fort Worth.

But that’s when his religion somehow became a problem again – in the eyes of some Republican colleagues.

Shafi hadn’t held the position in the North Texas county for more than a couple days before a precinct chairwoman urged Darl Easton, chairman of the Tarrant County Republican Party, to “reconsider” appointing Shafi to a leadership role, a request that was soon echoed by several other precinct chairs.

“The only reason she had was because he was a Muslim,” Easton told The Washington Post. “That was the only reason she gave.”

Since then, that precinct chairwoman, Dorrie O’Brien, and a small group of her supporters have put forth a formal motion to remove Shafi as vice chairman because of his religion, a motion that is slated for a vote on Jan. 10. To Easton, who opposes the measure, the move is an embarrassment to the Republican Party. And to Shafi, it amounts to exactly what he believed didn’t exist in the United States when he arrived here 28 years ago: a religious test.

Over the past week, the movement to oust Shafi has drawn loud condemnation from Texas GOP leaders, including Land Commissioner George P. Bush and House Speaker Joe Straus. On Saturday, the Texas GOP Executive Committee passed a formal resolution reaffirming the GOP’s commitment to religious freedom and seeking to distance the party from xenophobia they fear the motion against Shafi may embolden. In Texas, it would not be the first time Republicans have tried to block Muslims from participating in GOP leadership roles. A Houston City Council staffer attempted, unsuccessfully, to block a Republican Harris County precinct chair in 2016.

“Let’s show everybody, this is the Republican Party of Texas. We are not the party of bigots,” said J.T. Edwards, a member of the State Republican Executive Committee, on Saturday while urging support for the resolution, the Austin American-Statesman reported.

O’Brien, who declined to speak with The Post, has publicly asserted that Shafi promotes Sharia law and is affiliated with terrorist groups while offering no evidence other than that he is a mosque-attending Muslim. In lengthy tirades on Facebook reviewed by The Post, she has accused Shafi of being a “fake Republican” who perhaps became one at the urging of the Muslim Brotherhood so that he could infiltrate the party – again, without any evidence.

“This is, unfortunately, not the first time that people or my political opponents have tried to use my religion against me to distract the voters,” Shafi, who has fiercely denied O’Brien’s assertions, told The Post, “and unfortunately, I don’t think it will be the last either.” Read more

============================================

Stephen Colbert poked fun at President Donald Trump’s approval rating boasts on Thursday’s broadcast of “The Late Show.”

Colbert noted that Trump earlier in the day touted a “dubious” Rasmussen Reports poll that put his approval rating at 50 percent.

“50 percent? That’s like saying, I have two children, one of them still talks to me. ‘Father of the Year,’ please!” Colbert joked.

The comedian explained Trump followed up with a tweet claiming his rating would be at 75 percent if not for special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible Trump campaign collusion.

“He’s not even trying that hard anymore,” said Colbert, who then imitated Trump to say: “Look, you would all like me a lot more if I were not me.”

218995_600.jpg

Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Loses Patience With Donald Trump: ‘I Don’t Think He’s Capable’

“I don’t think he’s capable of sustained focus. I don’t think he understands the system,” Carlson said in an interview with a Swiss magazine.

Tucker Carlson is usually quick to go after critics of President Donald Trump on his nightly Fox News show.

But in a new interview with conservative Swiss magazine Die Weltwoche, the “Tucker Carlson Tonight” host called out Trump himself for his boastfulness and for failing to keep his promises to voters.

His chief promises were that he would build the wall, de-fund Planned Parenthood and repeal Obamacare, and he hasn’t done any of those things,” said Carlson, per The Washington Post.

Carlson said he’d “come to believe” Trump’s role was “not as a conventional president who promises to get certain things achieved to the Congress and then does.”

I don’t think he’s capable,” Carlson explained. “I don’t think he’s capable of sustained focus. I don’t think he understands the system. I don’t think the Congress is on his side. I don’t think his own agencies support him. He’s not going to do that.”

Carlson said it was “mostly” Trump’s fault that he hadn’t been able to deliver on his pledges, because “you really have to understand how” the legislative process works and “be very focused on getting it done.”

Trump “knows very little about the legislative process, hasn’t learned anything, hasn’t surrounded himself with people that can get it done, hasn’t done all the things you need to do so. It’s mostly his fault that he hasn’t achieved those things. I’m not in charge of Trump,” he added.

Instead, Carlson suggested Trump’s role had been “to begin the conversation” on issues such as immigration — which the conservative TV host has frequently and fervently railed against. Read more

2020 Democratic primary: California and Texas look to become the new Iowa and New Hampshire

Early voting and the involvement of big states could dramatically alter the party's presidential nominating contest — and empower minority voters.
181106-beto-orourke-al-1037_dbafc257d6574309ada61e7e978e4440.fit-2000w.jpg

Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke pumps his fist for a cheering crowd before departing a campaign rally at the Alamo City Music Hall on Nov. 4, 2018 in San Antonio, Texas.Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images

Dec. 9, 2018 / 4:59 AM PST
By Alex Seitz-Wald

WASHINGTON — A little over a year from now, millions of Californians will be mailed their ballots on the same day that Iowans head to their famous first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses. They could start mailing them back before New Hampshire holds its first-in-the-nation primary in 2020.

Meanwhile, Texans will likely have a chance to vote early, too — even before Nevada and South Carolina, which typically round out the earliest portion of the primary calendar.

The explosion of early voting and reshuffling of the primary calendar in 2020 could transform the Democratic presidential nominating contest, potentially diminishing the power of the traditional, tiny and homogeneous early states in favor of much larger and more diverse battlegrounds. That would be a boon to the best-known candidates with warchests sizable enough to compete in big states early.

And it would empower black and Hispanic voters in large, multiracial states like California, which was a virtual afterthought at the back of the primary calendar in 2016. Criticism has mounted for years about the primacy of New Hampshire and Iowa, which are both around 90 percent white.

"Candidates will not be able to ignore the largest, most diverse state in the nation," California Secretary of State Alex Padilla said when the state moved its primary last year.

Josh Putnam, a political scientist at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, who has for years tracked the intricacies of the presidential primary process on his blog Frontloading HQ, said the new calendar will highlight the disparity between the "have and the have nots."

"We should expect a bifurcation between the candidates who are well-financed and well-organized and who are gaming out the early vote and those who cannot," he said.

At the same time, the early states may not have the winnowing power they once did. Candidates with the resources to campaign in the bigger, delegate-rich states of March might decide to hang on regardless of their showing in the early states of February. Many strategists expect a split decision in the first four states anyway given the unusually large number of Democrats expected to run.

Iowa helped catapult a peanut farmer from Georgia named Jimmy Carter to the White House, while New Hampshire did the same for Bill Clinton, who was little known outside his native Arkansas.

This time, however, the two biggest states in the country, California and Texas, will for the first time vote on the same day — March 3, "Super Tuesday," the earliest possible date that states can schedule their primaries without running afoul of Democratic National Committee rules.

That's exactly one month after Iowa's caucuses on Feb. 3 and three weeks past New Hampshire's primary on Feb. 11.

And since both Texas and California have a robust culture of early voting — nearly six-in-10 California Democratic voters cast a ballot by mail in the 2016 presidential primary — the contests for both delegate-rich states will start even earlier.

"You have to treat California as an early state," said one top adviser to a potential candidate.
Source

TWTlogo3.5238e37e24b5.png

Trump calls memorial for George H.W. Bush 'a day of celebration for a great man'

President Donald Trump salutes alongside first lady Melania Trump in front of the flag-draped casket of former President George H.W. Bush in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington, Monday, Dec. 3, 2018. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Updated: 9:45 a.m. on Wednesday, December 5, 2018

President Trump isn’t speaking at the memorial service for the late President George H.W. Bush, but he’s tweeting about it.

“This is not a funeral, this is a day of celebration for a great man who has led a long and distinguished life. He will be missed!” Mr. Trump said on Twitter, adding that he is “looking forward to being with the Bush family.”

The president and first lady Melania Trump are attending the service at the Washington National Cathedral for Mr. Bush, who died Friday at age 94. Among those delivering eulogies is his son, former President George W. Bush.
Every word Trump said, as usual, was a lie, he never respected him, just this year in a rally in Montana he unnecessarily mocked him.

Trump mocks George H.W. Bush at campaign rally:

Other than this unknown guy, I have not heard anyone complaining that the Republicans lost because of ballot harvesting, not even the Republican candidates who lost, have you?

If you watched the entire video, you would have seen Dana Rohrbacher team bring it up in their post-analysis.

Also plenty of GOP on the record quotes here:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/ballo...a-house-races-after-election-day_2730138.html

@Desert Fox @OsmanAli98 @VCheng

Bty, Are you following North Carolina’s voter fraud case?

Yup, seems hypocritical from democrat party that indulges and supports voter fraud openly.

Dieing gasps from a party about to get gerrymandered to the nines come 2021.

Forgive them father, they know not what they do.

If you watched the entire video, you would have seen Dana Rohrbacher team bring it up in their post-analysis.

Also plenty of GOP on the record quotes here:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/ballo...a-house-races-after-election-day_2730138.html

@Desert Fox @OsmanAli98 @VCheng

Yup, seems hypocritical from democrat party that indulges and supports voter fraud openly.

If you think there is a circus going on now, just wait until the leadership of the House passes to the Democrats and Mueller winds up his investigation.

If you think there is a circus going on now, just wait until the leadership of the House passes to the Democrats and Mueller winds up his investigation.

I got lot of popcorn ready :D....simply because its clear Mueller has squat on an actual crime by Trump.

Anything else (and democrat desperation in pushing such in house over actual concerns voiced by electorate like health, economy, infra etc) will serve only to rile up Trump base and moderates that have been screamed at nonstop (by paid dem media) that theres a crime somewhere in the end....and thats just gonna help 2020 result. Even MSM polling puts 54+% of American people (right now) believing the mueller probe is politically biased.

Oh and lets see if pelosi even gets elected as speaker first :D

I got lot of popcorn ready :D....simply because its clear Mueller has squat on an actual crime by Trump.

Anything else (and democrat desperation in pushing such in house over actual concerns voiced by electorate like health, economy, infra etc) will serve only to rile up Trump base and moderates that have been screamed at nonstop (by paid dem media) that theres a crime somewhere in the end....and thats just gonna help 2020 result. Even MSM polling puts 54+% of American people (right now) believing the mueller probe is politically biased.

Oh and lets see if pelosi even gets elected as speaker first :D

Trump's greatest utility will be to act as a disruptor of the existing system by washing out the old guard. It will be interesting to watch all the turmoil, but I am sure it will all work out for the better in the end. Trump might even get a second term. :D

Trump's greatest utility will be to act as a disruptor of the existing system by washing out the old guard. It will be interesting to watch all the turmoil, but I am sure it will all work out for the better in the end. Trump might even get a second term. :D

Trump will definitely get a 2nd term. Did you see schoomer and pelosi in the white house ...."lets not disagree so openly on policy in front of the public mr president" :rofl:

They still are clueless as to what the public thinks of such elitism....people voted Trump to see exactly the issues being brought to knifeedge openly and clearly in the light by the people they elected....not the same ole same ole monolith party + "talk"/wink+nodding in the nooks and crannies of the dark swamp that pelosi and schoomer are clearly still tethered to. :lol:

Trump is such a clown he took Democrat senator Schumer’s bait, for shutting down his own government, "I am proud to shut down the government for border security,".

Clearly an average American has more commonsense than Trump, according to newly released poll by the NPR – PBS NewsHour –Marist poll, 57% appear in favor of a compromise and oppose risking a government shutdown over the wall. And 69% do not believe building a wall should even be an immediate priority.

Here’s something interesting, Trump wants 5 billion this year for the wall or he will shut down his own government, Sen Schumer claimed that 1.3 billion Congress gave Trump administration last year for the border Security (wall) less than 6% have been spent, in other words, they could not even spend all of the 1.3 billion, but now he wants 5 billion.

And then as usual, Trump lied, the man cannot breathe without lying, he claimed that “10 terrorists were arrested over the last very short period of time,” now imagine that, we’re supposed to believe 10 terrorists were arrested and damn fox news did not even reported it, if that had happened, they would have be running headline news after every 10 freaking minutes.

Bty, what the heck happened, we were told Mexico was going to pay for the wall? :lol:

C3PX1ifXAAAVQze.jpg

Cohen gets three years in jail and $50k fine. Who's next?
Remember, candidate Trump promised American people that he will only hire the best and brightest. :lol:

I did watch the entire video, Dana Rohrbacher did not even mentioned anything about ballot harvesting or voter fraud, he was complaining about outside billionaires funding his opponent, now that’s rich, the party of big corporate, supported by the Koch brothers, are complaining about billionaires, looks like they don’t like dose of their own medicine. :D

None of them were claiming voter fraud. In fact, Matt Fleming a spokesman for the California GOP told Fox News:

“To say we were caught flat-footed by this (new law) is just not true. “We were well aware of this, we even did it ourselves, we pay attention to election laws.”

He blamed the GOP losses in California on changing demographics in the state, a large cash infusion for Democrat candidates and a heightened enthusiasm among the Democratic base in the run-up to the election. “Democrats desire to send a message to the president and the blue wave that occurred everywhere but in the U.S. Senate, really affected the outcome,”.

There you have it, no cheating, no fraud, it was the blue wave!

Sorry to say but that’s Republican baseless propaganda. Let’s look at some solid facts, a five-year probe initiated by Pres W. Bush administration found 120 cases of voter fraud.

In spite of Trump’s big claims that 3 to 5 million people voted illegally, before his panel pack their bags they found no voter fraud. That’s beyond hilarious, don’t you think?

Trump will definitely get a 2nd term. Did you see schoomer and pelosi in the white house ...."lets not disagree so openly on policy in front of the public mr president" :rofl:

They still are clueless as to what the public thinks of such elitism....people voted Trump to see exactly the issues being brought to knifeedge openly and clearly in the light by the people they elected....not the same ole same ole monolith party + "talk"/wink+nodding in the nooks and crannies of the dark swamp that pelosi and schoomer are clearly still tethered to. :lol:

The next election will be a memorable one, no matter what the outcome, that is for sure.

Remember, candidate Trump promised American people that he will only hire the best and brightest.

Candidates say many things, and not just in USA, as we know. :D

The nation’s cartoonists on the week in politics

1Trump_Wall_Negotiations.jpg

download (22).jpg

1download (22).jpg

=========================================================

Stephen Colbert unpacks Trump's heated Pelosi and Schumer meeting

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom