What's new

US & Pakistan Dispute and Tensions over Haqqani group

Anyway my point stands - Pakistan has no locus standi to accuse Afg of sheltering insurgents in Kunar becuase it is doing the same thing to Afg in North Waziristan.

That's exactly the point! US/Afg has no point either because they're sheltering TTP in Afghanistan.

NATO are not present in Kunar,Nuristan or Laghman the last time I checked. They have withdrawn from there. Ofcourse it might have changed now and do point out with a source if it is such the case.

Precisely! There's a reason why they're not there. It's because they're not willing the attack them.

That presumably means making nice with Islamist terror groups? If yes, then I suppose we will have to make nice with the TTP as well - either way, Pakistan will still end up in the Islamist terror camp - how will that further Pakistani interests? Can we further Pakistani interests in Afghanistan, even as we lose the state in Pakistan?

No Sir! I dont mean Pakistan looking after its interests = making nice with terror groups or ending in terror camp. All i mean is that Pakistan should not start a war for US interests that continues long after US is gone from here and we continue to bleed.

Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani has once again said that it was time that the United States “did more” in the war on terror. This can only be taken as a tongue-in-cheek remark, making light of the American demand that Pakistan must do more to tackle its terrorism. Mr Gilani said in Islamabad: “Pakistan has already contributed enormously in the fight against terrorism and extremism and now the United States should do more instead. It’s time they (the Americans) should sacrifice as we did.”

The US and Pakistan are involved in a crisis of mutual trust in which, objectively speaking, Pakistan is seen as showing defiance in a situation it really should be saying that it lacks resources in an unequal war against al Qaeda and its affiliated terror network. As for the harbouring of foreign terrorists on its soil, once again Pakistan is clearly defying the world by refusing to go after them — in North Waziristan for example — while journalists, reporting honestly on the extent to which Pakistan is entangled in terrorism and extremism, are being roughed up or are losing their lives.

What about the poor masses in Pakistan asking Mr Gilani to “do more”? The poor masses of Sindh are in the grip of floods, begging the government to do more than it is doing since last year when the same calamity of rains and flooding hit the entire country. Dengue fever has found the state unequal to the job of looking after the poor who fall sick and need medical attention. The havoc of the 2010 flood is still unaddressed, the displaced people still not rehabilitated and plans made by the government await enforcement. On top of it all, there is rampant corruption highlighted in the most lurid detail by the mainstream media, about which nothing is really done. The truth of the matter is that the government should lose sleep more over the cry of ‘do more’ rising from among the masses.

As for Pakistan trying to defy the rest of the world, this is not very practical or sensible because while it may be difficult to fool one’s own people, it is next to impossible to convince the outside world that Pakistan means business in fighting terrorists and militants across the board. It is also not practical because the country has now, yet again, sought financial assistance from the international community, to help the affected people ravaged by this year’s floods. But the problem is that will the international community be inclined to respond to a country which it can tell doesn’t speak much truth when it comes to other equally pressing matters. And it’s not just the government or the establishment which espouses this defiance, it is found on a daily basis among most Pakistanis as well, many of whom will tend to blame America (followed by India, Israel, CIA, Mossad and Raw) for just about everything that ills Pakistan. This defiance, by the state, isn’t going to please the states that matter in the world who are at risk from these terrorists. As for the prime minister cancelling his scheduled visit to the US, surely that will not make the latter act differently or offer apologies?

So what does Pakistan want from the US? It wants a say in the shape of things to come after the withdrawal of foreign forces from Afghanistan in 2014 and that is a fair expectation since all states want to look out for their interests. In this, Pakistan believes that it has more leverage on the US than the latter has on it. The stark fact is that Pakistan lacks internal sovereignty while it flaunts external sovereignty: this is quite pointless because external sovereignty can be claimed only on the basis of the extent of control it has on its own territory. It cannot claim sovereignty of decision-making in foreign policy if it harbours terrorists on its soil who attack friendly and unfriendly states alike.

Let’s not forget what happened the last time Pakistan put itself in a position to dictate terms in Afghanistan? It allowed the Taliban it supported to savage their own people and spoil Pakistan’s relations with pretty much the rest of the world. If it was doing this hanky-panky in Afghanistan in the light of its doctrine of ‘strategic depth’, it owes an apology to the people of Pakistan who no longer approve it. And if ‘strategic depth’ is still the doctrine under which Pakistan lives, then no one in the world will come to its help, let alone ‘doing more’ for Pakistan.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 18th, 2011.

Pakistan and the
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, it is the time that US need to 'do more'. After the lapse of 10 years in Afghanistan, they are unable to control the hanful of taliban. Even Talibans are getting stronger day by day.

US, please 'do more'.

I think we should let US forces come in and do the operation themselves. They cannot afford the resources....in monetary or human way.....but why not offer them? I mean....Haqqani network is not just sitting in some park where Pakistan Army moves in and take them out......it would be a massive catastrophe.....let Americans do it.........let them suffer as they wish.....

And so Pakistan should .... what?

Pakistan should:

1. Engage all the people of tribal region including North Waziristan in a dialogue

2. Use the infuence of islamic parties of pakistan like JI and also non islamic parties like PTI to ensure that tribal belt remains as peaceful as possible.

3. The tribals (with effects from points 1 and 2 above) expel takfiriris and salafi ideologues from their area

4. In return, pakistan ensures them that there will be no military action in their area and there will be peace.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

I think we should let US forces come in and do the operation themselves. They cannot afford the resources....in monetary or human way.....but why not offer them? I mean....Haqqani network is not just sitting in some park where Pakistan Army moves in and take them out......it would be a massive catastrophe.....let Americans do it.........let them suffer as they wish.....

But it will then not remain limited to this area only.

Once the camel has got its neck in the tent then very soon the whole camel come inside

Man ! You are ok with US boots on Pakistani soil which means acknowledging that the PA is unwilling/unable/incompetent to do the job themselves ?

According to US intel, Haqqani is said to be allied with Al Qaeda and operates in same region as TTP and even host TTP fighters, all of whom have attacked Pakistan.

The possibility of US intel being full of sh*t also remains.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you would believe a terrorist when he talks about his hideout .. LOL....

and why would u belive USA ? dont tell me u do !!!

U belive Ajmal Kasab but not Haqqani ? lol

But when that is said Pakistan should not allow any group to use our land to attack on any other country. We should ban all terrorists and seize weapons. Make Pakistan weapon free country we got now very bad gun cultur which came to our area after Afghanistan war with Russia.

And here, there is a fundamental contradiction in the Pakistani position, it seems that Pakistani policy planners are convinced that to maintain influence in Afghanistan, Pakistani authority must lose influence in Pakistan itself, because if Talib are good for Afghanistan, then they are good for Pakistan as well, just no two ways about this.

Let me point out major flaw in your argument.
If we go by your argument, then if American army is good for America then it is good for Pakistan too? Is this is what you mean? If Indian Government is good for India, it should take over Pakistan too? Got a drift?

Somebody needs to ask the general if occupying Pakistani territory is no longer interference in Pakistani affairs? This army needs to step it up.

Man ! You are ok with US boots on Pakistani soil which means acknowledging that the PA is unwilling/unable/incompetent to do the job themselves ?

As counter-intuitive it may sound, there are many US boots already on Pakistani soil.............why not let them figure it themselves....it's their men who will get killed......and loads of them...that we know for sure....

US or any other country proof that Pakistan Government any contact with Haqqani......................

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom