What's new

US opens defence tech arsenal to India, 7 new offers on table

Nitin Goyal

BANNED
Reaction score
even new defence technologies for joint development have been offered by US defence secretary Chuck Hagel in meetings with his Indian counterparts, say Indian and US sources.

fc57719d-23d6-4467-ba8a-58f7eda7f964wallpaper1.jpg

US defense secretary Chuck Hagel laying a wreath on Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate in New Delhi. (HT Photo/Raj K Raj)
Hagel –on a three-day visit to India -- alluded to one of them, big data, in a Saturday speech on bilateral defence relations and spoke of “over a dozen concrete proposals” being on the table. Sources say the United States has also offered a number of cyber security options to India.

One of the key offers, big data — in which US leads the world — involves employing path-breaking algorithms to help predict terrorist attacks and for smart surveillance, such as using family relationships to find the whereabouts of Saddam Hussein. Other technologies on the table include the cutting edge anti-tank Javelin missile, the Hawk 21 surface-to-air missile and magnetic catapults, which help larger planes take off from smaller ships.

The defence secretary’s mission was to revive Indo-US defence relations, especially the moribund two-year-old defence trade and technology initiative (DTTI).

“The DTTI is the centrepiece of our defence relationship,” said Hagel at the event organised by the Observer Research Foundation.

Under the DTTI, the US had asked India to join in co-producing and co-developing a series of cutting edge weapons and technologies. Though the US offered 10 weapons technologies, the programme failed to take off under the last government.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is determined to put the private sector in the front seat of India’s defence sector and reduce the country’s dependence on imported arms. With the private sector insisting on the need for foreign technology, the US’s joint weapons development offers are seen as a potential match for both sides.

Read: US, India must improve defence cooperation, says Chuck Hagel

Hagel held a roundtable with India Inc on Saturday evening. In contrast, the UPA government kept the Indian private sector at a distance from the DTTI, said industry sources.

Implementation, however, remains a concern, say sources. Hagel, too, warned against “red tape” on both sides getting in the way of building military industrial cooperation.

He also spoke of the need for “greater clarity” on the offsets needed under the new 49% FDI in defence policy.

Hagel noted the US has not proposed such a co-development, co-production programme “with any other country”.

In addition, the defence secretary said he had invited Jaitley to meet other US ministers in September to discuss a new bilateral defence framework as the existing five-year agreement expires next year.

Hagel also praised ailing former external affairs minister Jaswant Singh for transforming Indo-US bilateral ties.

“Our thoughts are with Jaswant Singh who is one of India’s most distinguished soldier-statesmen. He transformed India-US relations,” said Hagel. The former BJP leader has been hospitalized since Friday and is in a critical condition.

US opens defence tech arsenal to India, 7 new offers on table - Hindustan Times

India needs us more than we need them IMO.
it would be great to have deeper ties with India and both can make some $$
but I wonder what India can bring to table in joint development and how it would help us.

but I wonder what India can bring to table in joint development and how it would help us.

I agree that India does not have anything 'extra-ordinary' to offer in Joint Development.

But I don't agree that India needs US more.

Reality is US needs India more, that is why USA has revoked Modi's ban on visa and Obama called him.

USA needs India if USA's pivot to Asia has to be successful.

India can bring cost effectiveness on table...imagine, if F-22s are produced in India under TOT, cost per piece would be much less...
And I dont think you will say budget is not the problem for pentagon! ..dis days!

Dont put junks. US will never sell F22. We dont need F22 either. SOME OF THEIR WEAPONS ARE ENOUGH TO KEEP ENEMEIES AT BAYS.

We just need their intelligence, Network security, ELINT, SIGINT and submarines. Thats it.
Like their intelligence on Iraq's chemical and biological weapons WMD !?
For ELINT and SIGINT, they can not and won't give you theirs.
And their nuclear submarines technologies will be more difficult to obtain than, let us say ... the F-22.
In the article, they are offering to sell weapons and their systems, like AT and SA missiles and some other goodies available on the market, so it is more of a competitive sale offer than anything else. They are counting mostly on their name, MADE IN the USA, and the market trends. They want their share of the Indian market, since the MMRCA deal with France indicates a shift to the west.

You don't sound American? Are you Indian? Or Indian American?

Your way of writing is just not American.

Sorry If you feel my post is offensive.

On the Topic : I agree India does not have the technology to offer anything at all to the US. We would be good If we could just procure your weapons with domestic manufacturing. That way without getting into this ToT things we would end up securing faster supply of hardware.

You don't sound American? Are you Indian? Or Indian American?

Your way of writing is just not American.

Sorry If you feel my post is offensive.

On the Topic : I agree India does not have the technology to offer anything at all to the US. We would be good If we could just procure your weapons with domestic manufacturing. That way without getting into this ToT things we would end up securing faster supply of hardware.

do elaborate.
sound American?

we might be pivoting to Asia, but we don't need India or Vietnam or anything. China is a threat to the region not US.

if India wants full ToT can't you get that from Russia?

do elaborate.
sound American?

we might be pivoting to Asia, but we don't need India or Vietnam or anything. China is a threat to the region not US.

Some of your posts make me feel that you just don't type the American way. I can't elaborate as I cannot find words to describe that 'Hunch' feeling its just my inner voice saying to me - Hey he is not American. Am I mad?

USA don't need anybody man. Rather the Democracy comes to the world.

India needs US help to somewhat counter balance the equation in south asia. China had made deep inroads into every country in the south asian region. India for its pathetic UPA Govt was sleeping while Chinese diplomats were working day in and day out to secure contracts for Chinese companies.

India needs US Tech. Purchase of C-17, C-130 (YOU) etc signals an increasing interest in American hardware.

Russia has but some weapons which do not have a substitute need to bought from America with no ToT. C17 C-130 APACHES all signal to that niche product.

do elaborate.
sound American?

well your officials don't think like that... you should ask pentagon. .. If India got nothing to offer hagel wouldn't waste his flight ticket... heck even Obama wants these deals badly to create more jobs...

Back
Top Bottom