What's new

US nears $100 billion arms deal for Saudi Arabia

One thing to my KSA friends... If that 100Bil$ come with very limited ToT or none... Sorry but one sentence... you are doomed to fail in the future...

Anyway let's see...

When it comes to such a vast sum like $100 billion, I think Saudi can have a lot of leverage in terms of ToT.

with 100Bil$ you get youserlf a full Navy/Land/Air last tech army for Hundreds of thousand of soldiers...

$100 billion is not a small amount for sure, it's 1.5x larger than the annual Russian defence budget.

Nope, if we go by the article, the next ten years might see a $300 billion deal, the $100 billion is to be finalised at the Trump's visit to KSA.. I can believe it if there will be a significant amount of ToT involved in it..

What I said in my previous post was reported in an article just prior to this one, so which one to believe is a question of time..

If it is really a $100 billion deal, it will comprise, THAAD, Arley Burke frigates with AEGIS and SM family of missiles up to the SM-6, a thousand or more Newest Abram MBTs, new Apaches, new blackhawks more Patriot air defence batteries a C5i and much much more including some F-35s..And we are still quite far from the $100 billion figure.. so go figure what it will consist of.. we will have a glimpse in a week or so..

Saudis supposedly pay 4 times the actual price of the products. How could they not be a milking cow?

Saudis supposedly pay 4 times the actual price of the products. How could they not be a milking cow?
That four times the actual price is an illusion considering how many spare parts and weapons involved in the deal and also the time frame of training, maintenance and support.. I bet they are also 4 times more than the average buyers deals..

When it comes to such a vast sum like $100 billion, I think Saudi can have a lot of leverage in terms of ToT.

$100 billion is not a small amount for sure, it's 1.5x larger than the annual Russian defence budget.

Sometimes to get something that you never "dreamed" to have in the past... few can put a price just to get it... without counter offer...

As for those 100Bil$... you can get the equivalent of a fifth of all US military equipment... if you buy directly with no ToT involved...
And +300Bil$ is on table too for the next 10y... at this rate... if everything goes well the road... well you get a new player on the Top 5 Military power...

But One thing I want to know is if those Hundreds of Billions will be seperated from those today 65Bil$ /year defence budget...

Last edited:
My country is U.K you spastic muppet. Learn to speak English before you try to quote me. Most major terrorist groups in the world have similar religious beliefs to the Saudis who are still allowed to fund mosques and preachers in the U.K.

There is more civilization in my rotten yogurt than in Saudi. But why are you getting your nickers in a twist over my post? Are you really Austrian?
Yeah and I am the Prince of bel air a Pakistani who fled his country and now lives in the UK says his country is the UK

Nope, if we go by the article, the next ten years might see a $300 billion deal, the $100 billion is to be finalised at the Trump's visit to KSA.. I can believe it if there will be a significant amount of ToT involved in it..

What I said in my previous post was reported in an article just prior to this one, so which one to believe is a question of time..

If it is really a $100 billion deal, it will comprise, THAAD, Arley Burke frigates with AEGIS and SM family of missiles up to the SM-6, a thousand or more Newest Abram MBTs, new Apaches, new blackhawks more Patriot air defence batteries a C5i and much much more including some F-35s..And we are still quite far from the $100 billion figure.. so go figure what it will consist of.. we will have a glimpse in a week or so..

Hi,

Why does saudia want TOT---what are they going to do with something they cannot absorb in their system.

Non TOT is better for saudia---it keeps the americans busy with their jobs in saudia---.

Here:

https://www.google.com.pk/amp/s/www.dawn.com/news/amp/1173034

https://www.hrw.org/news/2005/04/12/china-religious-repression-uighur-muslims

https://www.dawn.com/news/1329156

China is yet to be judged for its systematic effort to suppress Islamic identity of its citizens.

Conversely, people judge the WEST way more harshly and overtly.
I would not like talk about religion
In China,all the people live happily together,Muslim and non Muslim. Just several uygur separatists,but they can not stand for the Chinese Muslim,even can not stand the Chinese uygurs
But from your point of view, it seems like the whole world are suppressing Muslim
Why you push everyone to the other side? what is the problem? Is this the problem of the whole world ,problem of Muslim or just you?
Funny people!

Last edited:
Hi,

Why does saudia want TOT---what are they going to do with something they cannot absorb in their system.

Non TOT is better for saudia---it keeps the americans busy with their jobs in saudia---.
Well, if you go back to the Saudi vision of 2030, they want to be able to have at least 35 to 50% localised weapons technologies, meaning that they want to do it spread on a certain amount of time while they are making their industries capable of achieving that objective..So eventually they will be able to absorb the new technologies in their system, KSA is working on it day and night.. this is a very serious matter for the Area as a whole..
With ToT, there will be JV with the biggest American weapons manufacturers, so there will be more American jobs created both in the US as well as in KSA.. Deals like these are strategic deals in the sense that in this particular case of US/KSA(read GCC), it will allow the latter to be a part of the American Militaro-Industrial complex much deeper than it is now..
And also not to forget that they are not buying only ToT, actually they are buying the most sophisticated weapon systems that can be bought to defend themselves, their allies and to protect their huge assets..

Americans are well known for their extremely limited tech transfer. Why are Saudis buying American hardware why not British products? The Brits are much more willing to share knowledge. It's election time in the UK and Brexit negotiations are ongoing. May would do anything to announce a 100b USD deal.

Saudi Arabia is not going to change, they're making constantly the same strategic failures over and over again...

If they diverted 10/20% Money they expending to other friendly country like Pakistan they can assure more protection for the royal family. I hope they brings training technology to Saudi people to develop local defence industry . At least some sub system should produced by Saudi Arabian which both save money and experience for kingdom.

Americans are well known for their extremely limited tech transfer. Why are Saudis buying American hardware why not British products? The Brits are much more willing to share knowledge. It's election time in the UK and Brexit negotiations are ongoing. May would do anything to announce a 100b USD deal.

Saudi Arabia is not going to change, they're making constantly the same strategic failures over and over again...
Maybe, this time with Trump the businessman as a president, the US is willing to share and do ToT with one of its closest allies.. it is already doing it with Japan the EU and South Korea while they do not have anything more to provide the US than politico-strategic geographical locations.. KSA provide the US with Dollars the Americans worship the most on top of the most important strategic-geographical, political and financial location (read richest resource outlets) of the planet, while the others are mostly liabilities as far as the Dollar is concerned !!!?

Last edited:
If they diverted 10/20% Money they expending to other friendly country like Pakistan they can assure more protection for the royal family. I hope they brings training technology to Saudi people to develop local defence industry . At least some sub system should produced by Saudi Arabian which both save money and experience for kingdom.
Saudi Arabia should have a powerful security apparatus of its own.

It is not wise to count on another state to protect you from external threats for like ever.

Pakistan commits to defense of Mecca and Medina mostly. However, Pakistan is not going to fight Saudi-led wars. Sorry.

Maybe, this time with Trump the businessman as a president, the US is willing to share and do ToT with one of its closest allies.. it is already doing it with Japan the EU and South Korea while they do not have anything more to provide the US than politico-strategic geographical locations.. KSA provide the US with Dollars the Americans worship the most on top of the most important strategic-geographical, political and financial location (read richest resource outlets) of the planet, while the others are mostly liabilities as far as the Dollar is concerned !!!?
TOT for every product is an unrealistic assumption. You cannot expect this from any state including Russia and China.

US will be out of business if it starts offering TOT for every product it sells to every customer out there.

Joint venture for a product can be a reasonable learning experience however.

Saudi Arabia should have a powerful security apparatus of its own.

It is not wise to count on another state to protect you from external threats for like ever.

Pakistan commits to defense of Mecca and Medina mostly. However, Pakistan is not going to fight Saudi-led wars. Sorry.

TOT for every product is an unrealistic assumption. You cannot expect this from any state including Russia and China.

US will be out of business if it starts offering TOT for every product it sells to every customer out there.

Joint venture for a product can be a reasonable learning experience however.
Obviously! But ToT has many degrees to it, depending on the tech sensitivity.. it can be 100% for low tech sensitive products, 50 to 70% of medium tech sensitive products and a low percentage of 0 to 10% for highly sensitive products.. Saudis are not fools to ask for 100% ToT on every product, they are aware of these tech sensitivities..

That four times the actual price is an illusion considering how many spare parts and weapons involved in the deal and also the time frame of training, maintenance and support.. I bet they are also 4 times more than the average buyers deals..
Good point.

Some people comment on these matters with the assumption that only 'weapon systems' are being purchased. They fail to realize that a costly deal features a large number of value-additions.

Obviously! But ToT has many degrees to it, depending on the tech sensitivity.. it can be 100% for low tech sensitive products, 50 to 70% of medium tech sensitive products and a low percentage of 0 to 10% for highly sensitive products.. Saudis are not fools to ask for 100% ToT on every product, they are aware of these tech sensitivities..
Fair point.

11 new Corvettes/frigates Lsc, 14 destroyers (arleight burke), thaad, 24 sea hawk anti submarine helicopters, 6 p-8 poseidon's, mq-8b unknown number,logistic ships, 3 landing ship platform's
Add deals from Russia to KSA lost its nuts

Back
Top Bottom