What's new

US law to recognise India as partner with equal status

fsayed

Reaction score
Country
India
WASHINGTON: The Obama administration was working with Congress for passing a law that would recognise India as a major partner of equal status, a senior Pentagon official said on Monday.

Also on Monday, India objected to US President Barack Obama’s statement during a nuclear summit in Washington last week, urging both India and Pakistan to stop moving in the wrong direction.

Indian officials said that Mr Obama’s “lack of understanding” caused him to club India’s nuclear programme with Pakistan’s.

Duncan M. Lang, who heads the India Rapid Reaction Cell (IRRC) in the Pentagon, told The Hindu newspaper in Washington that the administration was working with lawmakers to ensure the adoption of the US-India Defence Technology and Partnership Act.

The proposed legislation, moved in the US Congress last month, would “institutionalise” the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative framework (DTTI) and an India-specific cell in the Pentagon, Mr Lang said.

The resolution would formalise India’s status as a major partner of equal status for all congressional notifications, the US official added.

Mr Lang said the proposed legislation enjoyed a strong bipartisan support and he believed it would soon be adopted.

The cell was the initiative of US Defence Secretary Ash Carter who was also the key architect of the DTTI, launched in 2012 to enable co-production of high technology platforms.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Indian Ministry for External Affairs, who also attended last week’s nuclear summit in Washington, said New Delhi did not want its nuclear programme to be clubbed with Pakistan’s.

He claimed that India had a no-first use nuclear weapons policy and had never initiated military action against any neighbour.

“Since the context was the Nuclear Security Summit, the President’s own remark that ‘expanding nuclear arsenals in some countries, with more small tactical nuclear weapons which could be at greater risk of theft’ sums up the focus of global concern,” Mr Swarup said.

While responding to a question on the US and Russia cutting their nuclear arsenals, President Obama said in his post-summit news conference that both India and Pakistan needed to be more careful.

He said that while making military doctrines Pakistan and India should ensure that they were not continually “moving in the wrong direction”.

Published in Dawn, April 5th, 2016

I doubt its as clear cut as it appears to be. The US doesn't consider anyone its equal.

Last edited:
I doubt it's as clear cut as it appears to be. The US doesn't consider anyone it's equal.

I was just about to write that.

This doesn't mean the US is suddenly going to open up its defense industry to India and offer everything and anything, the US even restricts what it sells to NATO nations and long-time, long-term allies like Japan.

At best, India will be put alongside Japan and other allies like Norway and Australia (with whom the US sells some of its best gear, has logistics resupply and has cooperative spying agreements).

This does not mean the US now considers you its equal.

This doesn't mean the US is suddenly going to open up its defense industry to India and offer everything and anything, the US even restricts what it sells to NATO nations and long-time, long-term allies like Japan.

At best, India will be put alongside Japan and other allies like Norway and Australia (with whom the US sells some of its best gear, has logistics resupply and has cooperative spying agreements).

The Americans are working with our Enemies ? :angry:

@XenoEnsi-14 how could you ? :cry:

And you Freyja.....you should've used your influence as a Princess of the Norwegian Royal Family to prevent this from ever happening ! :argh:

And you Freyja.....you should've used your influence as a Princess of the Norwegian Royal Family to prevent this from ever happening ! :argh:

From Goddess to Princess:undecided:. By Þórr I've been demoted:o:!!!

Not sure I've much influence, but I can round up a quality goodwill package and bring the love to the shores of India;).

Whose side are you on ? :o:

Well, mine of course:P. But I can be persuaded to bring some love to India if needed.

countryballs-%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%8B-viking-vikingball-1116338.jpeg

Well, mine of course:P. But I can be persuaded to bring some love to India if needed.

countryballs-%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%8B-viking-vikingball-1116338.jpeg
This Guy tried it

Do you Consider Indians Not Intellectually Profound Enough To understand It.
We The Only Country Who Plays All Side Well Russians, The Chinese,Iranians,the Saudis,Israelis And Off-course US & West.We are Light Bearers of Non-Align Movement.History is Great Teacher We Know How US Plays Because We Play same Way .Credit Goes To Pakistan in Some Sense.
ihoH0R7.png

Last edited:
Do you Consider Indians Not Intellectually Profound Enough To understand It.

Settle down there bud, before you start smoking from your ears:disagree:.

I was reiterating what That Guy wrote.

So have you seen that movie Arn the Knights Templar ? :what:

Nope:D. But I'll put it on my list. Is it any good?

*It's nearing midnight, and I've a catering job to do in the morning. We'll have to continue tomorrow:wave::sleep:

Good enough for us as we still will trade with Iran and continue to be part of BRICS, Shanghai Pact

Back
Top Bottom