What's new

US, India discuss joint production of military equipment

A top American defence official and the head of India’s DRDO have discussed ways to take bilateral defence cooperation towards the goal of joint development and production of military gear. US Deputy Secretary of Defence Ash Carter and DRDO chief Avinash Chander also held talks on measures to deepen the defence trade relationship between the two countries.

“The two leaders discussed how to deepen US-Indian defence trade relationship, and exchanged views on a range of efforts currently underway to move bilateral defence cooperation further toward the mutually agreed-upon goal of a relationship based around co-development and co-production,” a senior defence official said.

Carter and Chander met at the Pentagon yesterday. Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao and Vikram Singh, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia, also participated in the meeting. Carter and Chander noted that they looked forward to the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Washington.

US, India discuss joint production of military equipment | idrw.org

Respected Sir,
Open up your mind and hit the history button, remember that last time USA talked about co-operation was upon the issue of USA lacking behind in Advance Jet Trainer and also in Intermediate Jet Trainer.

So I am 100% sure that USA wants Indian 50% investment in Basic, Intermediate and Advance Jet trainer program. And there is a big possibility that USA might have pushed India un-officialy to fund the project 100% but will keep it as 50% share of both countries.

Please don't blast. Just keep up the pace...

Interesting news

DRDO can learn several new things if such JV happens

Sure they didn't like this but what is a choice ?

I'm not saying India shouldn't do this, all I'm saying is that Russia won't like this.

They now know the fact that we are looking for west . MRCA is best example of this . Russia had encouraged to have a combo of western technology on their products . Now there is no monopoly .

I don't understand the bolded part, can you rewrite that?

But it has nothing to do with India. Both Russia and US view each other as competitors in Indian defence market and nothing more. US gets some deals, Russia gets some and Israel/France gets some.

Our defence needs are not met by keeping Russia happy.

The thing is that for the longest time, Russia had a virtual monopoly when it came to defence contracts with India. From fighter jets to tanks, India was Russia's largest weapon's customer, but from what is happening recently, this might be changing. Russia is understandably not happy about this, because it would mean a loss of cash flow coming into their economy.

One contract doesn't mean anything look at the current orders we have given to Russia.

It's not the number of contracts, but which contracts they are. Look at the Rafale deal, it pretty obvious that the Russians were pissed off at that deal, this will just be another nail in the coffin.

From an India perspective, this is a great deal, but from a Russian perspective, it's another sign that India is moving away from Russia.

It's not the number of contracts, but which contracts they are. Look at the Rafale deal, it pretty obvious that the Russians were pissed off at that deal, this will just be another nail in the coffin.

From an India perspective, this is a great deal, but from a Russian perspective, it's another sign that India is moving away from Russia.

Ok let me put it simple for you.Indian went to west where Russia was not able to provide what we wanted.we wanted the best for our forces .after the breakup of ussr. Russian defence industry was in a mess and the economy was in a mess too. so some areas were neglected.even russing defence experts agree that.

Russia is understandably not happy about this, because it would mean a loss of cash flow coming into their economy.
And so? We don't buy weapons from the Russians to keep them Happy or to keep their economy booming.we only buy the Tech. we like to have from them.

Really! last time i checked the American Ambassador to India resigned from his post over American companies losing the MMRCA deal.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/timothy-roemer-resigns/article1776184.ece
And the Russians did not reacted over the Indian decision saying that they respect India's decision for the aircraft deal.

And so? We don't buy weapons from the Russians to keep them Happy or to keep their economy booming.we only buy the Tech. we like to have from them.

Really! last time i checked the American Ambassador to India resigned from his post over American companies losing the MMRCA deal.
Timothy Roemer resigns - The Hindu
And the Russians did not reacted over the Indian decision saying that they respect India's decision for the aircraft deal.

Relax, no need to get angry or all excited.

First, I have already said that India probably made the right decision, so please read my comment properly.

Second, the US and Russia aren't the same, so don't compare their political situations. Russia reacted, of course they did, any Indian member who's honest will tell you that they weren't happy with India's decision. The fact that ever since the the MMRCA fiasco, Russian-Pakistani military ties have been getting better, even if slightly. The fact that Russia allowed the sale of the RD-93 engines for the JF-17 fighter (without restriction), despite Indian protests, and recent rumors that Russia may be willing to directly sell the engine to Pakistan, shows that Russia no longer considers India as reliable a partner as in the past.

Ok let me put it simple for you.Indian went to west where Russia was not able to provide what we wanted.we wanted the best for our forces .after the breakup of ussr. Russian defence industry was in a mess and the economy was in a mess too. so some areas were neglected.even russing defence experts agree that.

Don't insult me, how about you actually read my comment? I said "FROM AN INDIAN PERSPECTIVE, THIS IS A GREAT DEAL".

Learn to read, newbie.

Relax, no need to get angry or all excited.

First, I have already said that India probably made the right decision, so please read my comment properly.

Second, the US and Russia aren't the same, so don't compare their political situations. Russia reacted, of course they did, any Indian member who's honest will tell you that they weren't happy with India's decision. The fact that ever since the the MMRCA fiasco, Russian-Pakistani military ties have been getting better, even if slightly. The fact that Russia allowed the sale of the RD-93 engines for the JF-17 fighter (without restriction), despite Indian protests, and recent rumors that Russia may be willing to directly sell the engine to Pakistan, shows that Russia no longer considers India as reliable a partner as in the past.

I am neither exited nor i am getting angry....and any honest Indian member will tell you that the Migs were not suitable enough to win the tender even the Russians would have known that....Migs can not be considered exactly as the medium weight fighters the only chance they were looking for was with their long and old relationship with the IAF..

And about the RD-93 engines.Russians are free from any pressure in their sales of Military equipments,just like we can buy those defence equipments from the Americans which we needs the Russians can also sell their Hardware to any country they thinks suitable and they are certainly not doing it at the cost of India as we are also not doing the same.

I'm not saying India shouldn't do this, all I'm saying is that Russia won't like this.

I don't understand the bolded part, can you rewrite that?

The thing is that for the longest time, Russia had a virtual monopoly when it came to defence contracts with India. From fighter jets to tanks, India was Russia's largest weapon's customer, but from what is happening recently, this might be changing. Russia is understandably not happy about this, because it would mean a loss of cash flow coming into their economy.

Russians are not that naive and they would understand that any country including themselves would do the same thing. They might be unhappy but they will understand.

I am neither exited nor i am getting angry....and any honest Indian member will tell you that the Migs were not suitable enough to win the tender even the Russians would have known that....Migs can not be considered exactly as the medium weight fighters the only chance they were looking for was with their long and old relationship with the IAF..

And about the RD-93 engines.Russians are free from any pressure in their sales of Military equipments,just like we can buy those defence equipments from the Americans which we needs the Russians can also sell their Hardware to any country they thinks suitable and they are certainly not doing it at the cost of India as we are also not doing the same.

First of all, read my comment, you and I aren't disagreeing on India's decision. We both agree that it was a good idea that India didn't choose the Mig.

Second, you don't seem to understand what geopolitics is. India may be "fine" with it in public, but privately, the Indians are worried that these engines may be used against India in any future conflict between India and Pakistan. It's never as simple as "they can do whatever they want", because it's simply not true. Future defence cooperation between Pakistan and Russia will come at the cost of India, that is an indisputable fact.

First of all, read my comment, you and I aren't disagreeing on India's decision. We both agree that it was a good idea that India didn't choose the Mig.

Second, you don't seem to understand what geopolitics is. India may be "fine" with it in public, but privately, the Indians are worried that these engines may be used against India in any future conflict between India and Pakistan. It's never as simple as "they can do whatever they want", because it's simply not true. Future defence cooperation between Pakistan and Russia will come at the cost of India, that is an indisputable fact.

Russians and Pak defence co-op will be minimum. They would never want to alienate India. A single deal with India will be equal to 10 deals from Pakistan.

Russians and Pak defence co-op will be minimum. They would never want to alienate India. A single deal with India will be equal to 10 deals from Pakistan.

That's disputable.

If India keeps going down the road it's going, then it'll be India that abandon's Russia, not the other way around.

Russians are not that naive and they would understand that any country including themselves would do the same thing. They might be unhappy but they will understand.

It's not about naivety, it's about politics and money. Russia's economy relies heavily on it's defence industry, and losing out contracts to other nations with it's best customer is going to force Russia to look elsewhere.

Pakistan can use those engines against India in a conflict,these engines were procured for the defense of the Pakistan borders and will be used whenever required....Do not go by any future predictions no one ever has been sure about future....but by going according to the current scenarios and the ongoings in the world their is a less possibility of Russia doing anything at the cost of India to increase cooperation with Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom