What's new

US had stopped Jordan from sending jets to Pakistan in 1971 war

FalconsForPeace

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The United States had refused King Hussain of Jordan’s request to permit him to transfer F-104 fighter jets to Pakistan for use in the war against India in 1971 war, a declassified diplomatic cable of US reveals.

This rejection came amid an urgent plea to US from the then President of Pakistan Gen Yahya Khan that if it couldn’t help Pakistan, it should not prevent others from doing so.

As F-104 fighters were purchased from US, Jordan could not have allowed their use to another country without securing approval from the manufacturing country.

American law on the other hand prohibited permission to a client state allowing the use of its weaponry to another country unless the US itself would transfer the defense article to that country, explains the cable.

As the war broke out, the Nixon administration dispatched the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise to the Bay of Bengal on December 9 when CIA director warned him that East Pakistan was crumbling. The aircraft was sent in an attempt to intimidate the Indian government and pre-empt Russian invasion, reveals another cable. But an Indian admiral disclosed in a separate account that PM Indra Gandhi gave him a deaf ear when he repeatedly apprised her of the advancement of US aircraft carrier.

On December 5, 1971, King Hussain dispatched a hand-written note to Washington through US mission in Amman. It read: “…..Pakistani request is connected to their urgent need for additional aircraft for air defense the lack of which will mean that they will soon not be able to put up sufficient aircraft to intercept intruders which would be a prelude to disaster. We are awaiting your clearance that we send them a number of F-104s despite our grave need for them at a very dangerous time here…...”

The US mission after consultation with Washington returned his mail stating that US government had decided not to supply equipment either to India or Pakistan.

Under the present US policy of suspending all arms transfer to Pakistan, King Hussain was told, Washington couldn’t consent to such a transfer. He was further told that the legislation prevented US government from authorising any 3rd country, including Jordan, from transferring US-origin military equipment to either India-Pakistan.

The US has since 1965 India-Pakistan hostilities refused to supply or license the export of lethal end-items for Pakistan, explains the diplomatic cable.

The only exception was the one announced in October 1970 under which the US offered to supply 300 armoured personnel carriers and approximately 20 aircraft, according to the cable. In a separate account, a veteran of Indian army told an interviewer that Admiral S M Nanda, then Naval Chief told Indra Gandhi during the course of a presentation on war that the US Fleet was sailing into the Bay of Bengal. She did not utter a single word and briefing continued discussing other issues. Admiral repeated: “Madam, I have to inform you that the 8th Fleet is sailing into the Bay of Bengal.” She cut him off immediately: “Admiral, I heard you the first time, let us go on with the briefing.”

“All the officers present were stunned. Ultimately, their morale was tremendously boosted by the prime minister’s attitude. She had demonstrated her utter contempt for the American bluff,” said Dr N S Prasad.

US had stopped Jordan from sending jets to Pakistan in 1971 war - thenews.com.pk

That too when a 'formal alliance' had existed between US and Pakistan.

We thank the Jordanian brothers for their offer and support. Its comforting to see that they stood up for their brothers in a distant land at the expense of their own security.

@BLACKEAGLE

Jordon had some 33 F-104.I wonder how much they could contribute.against it,USA sent a super carrier...

Thank You, @BLACKEAGLE ! :kiss3:

From now on @al-Hasani @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa - Those plans about annexing Jordan & making it a part of my Kingdom are off the table ! :-)

Gosh, I would've loved to see @BLACKEAGLE begging me for mercy as I would be munching on some tender chicken leg from Al-Baik whilst he wouldn't have had food & water for a fortnight ! :(

I suppose Brotherhood is more important ! :cheers:

Jordanians are very good people. The Hashemite Kingdom, despite the many false accusations and accusations of being "puppets" are a honorable family and people that have done a lot for Jordan, Muslims and nearby countries. Ask the Syrians, Palestinians and Iraqis. Despite not having much. That is very remarkable. I am happy to see that they were prepared to do such a big gesture towards Pakistan.

:D

Last edited:
Lol! USA sent 100,000 Ton SuperCarrier (+CBG). When there Supercarrier was unable to stop Bangladeshi tigers from defeating Rapists, what these ancient F404 could have done???

1971 was a war against criminals (Rapists and Murders of poor Bangaldeshi).

Instead of trolling you might recognize this gesture as a very good gesture from a small country with close to no resources and a humble budget helping a fellow Muslim country far away in great difficulties.

But better to laugh of course. So what if that would probably not have helped? Don't you appreciate a good gesture?

Lol! USA sent 100,000 Ton SuperCarrier (+CBG). When there Supercarrier was unable to stop Bangladeshi tigers from defeating Rapists, what these ancient F404 could have done???

1971 was a war against criminals (Rapists and Murders of poor Bangaldeshi).

I am sure that both sides can be blamed for atrocities. Mukti Bahini were no saints!

I am sure that both sides can be blamed for atrocities. Mukti Bahini were no saints!

Seriously it seems that most of what I read is Bengali propaganda. Not sure what to believe but it was a shame that Pakistan got divided and that two Muslim nations and people now don't fully trust each other. I guess that we humans never learn.

Can somebody tell me why so many Indian users always troll threads about Muslims? I never troll threads about Hindus or the Indian section. Why do so many Indians hate Islam that much? Do they also hate the nearly 200 million Muslim Indians? Don't understand it.

@al-Hasani

Our Indian invasion force is clearly pissed off. These people are insecure beyond belief.

Jordanians stood up for us and thats what matters, not how much support they offered-!!!
@BLACKEAGLE thanks Jordan for this but in future war you don't have much only do one thing deploy your force towards Israel this will make sure Israel doesn't try to help militarily to India and this proves still one thing Ummat is pretty much alive we need to make it more healthy by getting rid of USA touts leaders @Aeronaut

So many countries wanted to either help or already helping Pakistan (Like US sent its aircraft carrier to the Bay of Bengal), still Pakistan lost the war.

Obviously because Pakistan Army were killing their own people. Karma has to rebound anyways.

@Gautam

War was already lost by the politicians. Had the democracy been upheld, no such event would have taken place.

Seriously it seems that most of what I read is Bengali propaganda. Not sure what to believe but it was a shame that Pakistan got divided and that two Muslim nations and people now don't fully trust each other. I guess that we humans never learn.

Bangalis even today will support Pakistan if India attacks us again. We share a link that transcends national boundries.

We Pakistanis are not Arabs, why does Arab world support us?

We are not Turks, why do Turks Support us? , why do Indonesians and Malaysians support us?

Iran has helped Pakistan in both wars, but we are not Iranians..why do they support us?

Can somebody tell me why so many Indian users always troll threads about Muslims? I never troll threads about Hindus or the Indian section. Why do so many Indians hate Islam that much? Do they also hate the nearly 200 million Muslim Indians? Don't understand it.

They can't help but stay close to their former masters.

Plus the fact that Hinduism being an 'orphan culture' has no one to relate to. Their international relations are money oriented ours are not.

Because of this, they are jalous of the Muslim fertenity, and are envious and wish that they had states and people supporting them for being Hindus rather than how much trade and investment they have to offer.

Last edited:

Well, honestly, who cares what they think?

Coming back to the division of Pakistan, a couple of decades ago a Pakistani politician from Karachi very openly stated that he considered the partition of the subcontinent to be a blunder. The comment was taken and used far and wide against this politician from Karachi. However, wasn't a Pakistan on either side of an unfriendly India a major blunder of the partition?

Look at it this way, India has not been able to take away the part of Kashmir that we hold in 65 years, would they have been able to support a rebellion so decisively had it just been 1 Pakistan on this side or that. No country could have survived like this.

@Gautam

War was already lost by the politicians. Had the democracy been upheld, no such event would have taken place.
Exactly. Denying your own people their right and then killing them is a bad thing. Karma will rebound after all.

Bangalis even today will support Pakistan if India attacks us again. We share a link that transcends national boundries.

We Pakistanis are not Arabs, why does Arab world support us?

We are not Turks, why do Turks Support us? , why do Indonesians and Malaysians support us?

Iran has helped Pakistan in both wars, but we are not Iranians..why do they support us?

They can't help but stay close to their former masters.

Plus the fact that Hinduism being an 'orphan culture' has no one to relate to. Their international relations are money oriented ours are not.

Because of this, they are jalous of the Muslim fertenity, and are envious and wish that they had states and people supporting them for being Hindus rather than how much trade and investment they have to offer.
We are jealous really. We wish some Christian countries attack us (A Hindu country) everyday and other Hindu countries (we wish we had) enjoying the show with pop corns in hand, without doing anything other than boasting of having the same religion.

Back
Top Bottom