What's new

US failed in fulfilling promises: Musharraf

pkpatriotic

Reaction score
US failed in fulfilling promises: Musharraf
Thursday, January 15, 2009

MICHIGAN: Former President Pervez Musharraf said US has not fulfilled the promises made with Pakistan.

Addressing the annual dinner of World Affairs Council, Musharraf said Pakistan is doing all that it can against terrorism.

"Pakistan is a victim of terrorism and Pakistani government is trying to cope up with terrorism, “ he added.

Here's a link to the World Affairs Council Western Michigan website. Evidently, there are these councils in many American cities. Musharraf spoke at this one in western Michigan.

I wonder if A.M. went? Probably too expensive for a college guy. I'm hoping that they'll post a transcript on their site. Here it is-

World Affairs Council- Western Michigan

looolll.... Musharaf goin to US and blamin them in his lectures...... gud work GENERAL

Former Pakistani President Musharraf comes to Grand Rapids, pleads for understanding in his country's fight against terrorists - Grand Rapids News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos – MLive.com
GRAND RAPIDS -- The former president of Pakistan pleaded for understanding in its fight against terrorism, in a region deemed central to the outcome of that battle.

"Pakistan has confronted terrorism and extremism for more than two decades now," Pervez Musharraf said in a speech to about 500 people tonight at the World Affairs Council of Western Michigan event.

"We are together in the fight against terrorism."

His speech at the Amway Grand Plaza marked his first U.S. appearance since he left office last year, as he embarks on a national speaking tour.

As for the latest message attributed to al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, calling for jihad against Israel, Musharraf conceded it will find its mark in certain quarters of the world.

"These are words which are welcomed by the masses in the Muslim world."

But Musharraf maintained the long-term fight against bin Laden or other terrorists will not be won by military means.
"I draw a similarity with a tree. When you are dealing with the terrorists and killing any number of them, you are plucking the leaves, shedding the leaves off the tree.

"And more leaves will grow. When you destroy an organization, you chop off one branch of the tree. But the roots remain."

Musharraf said those roots are fed by political disputes, poverty and lack of education.

He defended Pakistan against criticism that it had wasted billions of dollars in U.S. aid, or that its military was not up to the task. He maintained its security forces have been responsible for all major arrests of al-Qaida leadership.

"We killed about 700 of them," he said.

He said the Pakistani army "is fighting terrorism to the best of its ability."

But he said progress in the remote border region with Afghanistan does not hinge on military might alone.

Over the long term, he said, social and economic progress will have to win the day.

"It is essential, because the people are poor and jobless."

Musharraf, 65, resigned as president in August, ending nine years of rule that began in 1999 with a military coup that ousted Kawaz Sharif, the elected prime minister.

His reign was marked by growing civil unrest and an uneasy alliance with the United States that followed the 2001 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

Musharraf has survived numerous attempts on his life.

In November 2007, Musharraf suspended the constitution, jailed several Supreme Court justices and ordered the arrest of political dissidents and civil rights activists.

Pakistan long has been faulted for not doing enough to establish security over its rugged western region that shares a border with Afghanistan. Many believe bin Laden is hiding in that region of Pakistan, considered a base for al-Qaida operations.

Musharraf said no one knows for sure.

"He is in the mountains somewhere on either side of the border. A lot of people keep asking me where he is. I don't know," Musharraf said.

As for its simmering relationship with India, Musharraf was hopeful both nations could move toward peace. "We've come a long way, I think. We've fought three wars and a number skirmishes."

I wonder every dictator accepts mistakes only once ousted from power the way musharraf admitted his biggest blunder as LAL MASJID operation which has left pakistan to the mercy of so called TERRORISTS with no solution in site.hope we dont find ourselves into a bloody revolutoin if FATA policy is not modified prudently and objectively otherwise you keep on cutting the branches and roots remain to grow again.Pray NO MORE ADVENTORISM to destablise the system .long live pakistan.

I know Pakistan is a firangi-controlled insurgency within India, created by the firangis to serve their purposes. The United States is the firangi nation in control of Pakistan now. We will rub the United States out of existence. But we would not like Pakistan to be hurt.

Wrong here my dear Indian, this position has been taken over by India from Pakistan.

wonder every dictator accepts mistakes only once ousted from power the way musharraf admitted his biggest blunder as LAL MASJID operation which has left pakistan to the mercy of so called TERRORISTS with no solution in site.hope we dont find ourselves into a bloody revolutoin if FATA policy is not modified prudently and objectively otherwise you keep on cutting the branches and roots remain to grow again.Pray NO MORE ADVENTORISM to destablise the system .long live pakistan.

I will say that Gen. Mushraff or rather for your a dictator was and is the only person in the history of Pakistan who left the position of DICTATOR, C..E. (PM), COAS and eventually the President.

In his ruling time has accepted many mistakes & took actions cancelling his "presidential reference" take for example the case of Blasphemy law which he had revoked but on public out cry he returned it to it's present stature.

Gen. Musharaff was and is a very good asset of Pakistan.:pakistan:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom