What's new

US Army major kills 12 in shooting rampage

"...apparently, the shooter was a US Marine."

Why do you say that? I believe he's a U.S. Army major. That is an Army, not Marine, facility with two active divisions.

Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan evidently is a medically-licensed M.D. psychiatrist who was on orders for deployment to Iraq. He may be of Jordanian descent according to Sen. Kay Hutchison of Texas.

Why do you say that? I believe he's a U.S. Army major. That is an Army, not Marine, facility with two active divisions.
Too much speculation. I'm hearing different stories. AJE said he's marine. NBC online saying something else. RIP to the dead.

i was praying it wouldn't be a Muslim. This isn't good for PR.

Hi,

As Bezerk stated, we will treat it as a tragic news item and we will offer our condolences for the fallen and welbeing for the wounded. We request that this incidence be left as a news item as such.

There is no reason for us to make it a cannon fodder----so I am looking forward to the mods and all members to keep an eye and report any unwanted posts. Thanks. MK.

who was the other shooter seems they identified one but said there were two

This is the second incidence of its kind. The first one was back in 1991 again at Fort Hood when an Army officer opened fire on his fellow soldiers killing 34 in a restaurant.

who was the other shooter seems they identified one but said there were two

The identity of the other shooter(s) is not disclosed because of obvious reasons. This might effect the investigations.

"Other two suspects are currently in custody, media is not interested to know them yet til confirmation."

That's incorrect. It's now reported that three additional suspects were arrested. Two have been cleared and released. A third has not. There's nothing the media will KNOW, either, until somebody been charged, processed and the identity released.

Are you suggesting something StealthQL-707PK? If so, what?

It is clearly a terrorist incident but there's no cause to believe that there's any conspiracy beyond a possible one with another suspect. I HIGHLY doubt that this reaches back to some terror outfit elsewhere or any foreign intelligence agency.

It appears that he was on orders for Iraq. Maybe he was promised that he'd never have to deploy. Who knows? What is pathetic is that this man was a psychiatric M.D. and had performed a fellowship in Bethesda, Maryland at a facility called The Center For The Study Of Post-Traumatic Stress.

I don't know if he'd previously deployed or not.

I agree. But media seems to only be divulging that he was a "Major"

Like the Army, Marine Corps personnel also have rank 'Major'

Not that it has much relevance here. It's a tragedy nonetheless, and my heart goes out to the families of those affected.

It's an army base, and he was most likely an Army Major. Anyway, it is always sad to hear news such as this, no matter where it comes from.

S-2, I'm not sure it's a "terrorist" act as we've seen before. Mass-murder, obviously, but there is little to suggest it was planned and/or coordinated, as is the case with terrorism (unless you know something I don't).

Edit
I was so hoping the shooter were not of Muslim descent. It's just too bad, it might reinforce certain unhealthy beliefs in the US.

Last edited:
well i said in a previous thread that its no big deal for soldiers to die in a war arena in whatever way, but this is another story altogether, cant expect to be killed on your own soil!!!!!

the story behind this will be interesting, is it confirmed he is from jordan?

There's a lot I don't know. CNN reports 11 dead, not 12. Initial reports had two other armed suspects arrested in an adjacent building. Now I've heard that there were three suspects arrested and two have been cleared and released while a third has been held.

Is it a terror act? In my mind it is if there is more than one involved. If not, we'll never really know as the prime suspect is dead. Understandably, as in addition to the soldiers killed and wounded, Maj. Hasan allegedly killed one civilian contract police officer.

Beyond that, I'm not clear.

What's sad and ironic here is that we're talking about a mental health PROVIDER. This base has absorbed more combat-related deaths than any other. The community surrounding the base is very closely attached with this base and is really part of an expansive extended community so it's a real community tragedy of massive proportions.

The base commander will provide a press conference in 15 minutes as I post now.

Back
Top Bottom