What's new

US Army major kills 12 in shooting rampage

Please remember him too on this Veteran day "Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan" of Manahawkin

Powell Honors Fallen Muslim American Soldier
Colin Powell ended his endorsement of Obama by referring to the death of a Muslim soldier, Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan of Manahawkin, N.J., who was killed in Iraq on Aug. 6, 2007, and whose remains were buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
He and three other soldiers, including a corporal from Washington Heights, were killed in Baquba after a bomb detonated while they were checking abandoned houses for explosives. They served in the Stryker Brigade combat team of the Army's 2nd Infantry Division, based in Ft. Lewis, Washington.

Mr. Khan graduated from Southern Regional High School in Manahawkin in 2005, and enlisted in the Army a few months later, spurred by his memories of the 9/11 terror attacks. "His Muslim faith did not make him not want to go. It never stopped him," his father, Feroze Khan, told the Gannett News Service in a story printed shortly after his death. "He looked at it that he's American and he has a job to do."

Powell framed the entire "Obama is a Muslim" debate in striking terms with his reference to this fallen American soldier.

"Is there something wrong with being Muslim in America? No, that's not America," he said.

"He was 14 years old at the time of 9/11, and he waited until he could go serve his country, and he gave his life," Mr. Powell said. "Now, we have got to stop polarizing ourselves in this way."

The highly charged rhetoric used by McCain and Palin to tie Obama to terrorism and Islam is once again an affront to all Muslim Americans. We saw this type of fear and backlash just after 9/11. We see it also in the McCarthy-like invocations of Michele Bachmann. I challenge Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin to tell this grieving mother that her son is anti-American because of his faith.

The answer to who is evil is NEVER as neat, clean, and easy as a label. Thank you, Colin Powell, for reminding America that those who serve in our military represent the awesome diversity of faithful and patriotic Americans.

Thank you, Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, for your service and your ultimate sacrifice. I am humbled to honor you and your fallen comrades.

Kareem's Legacy page.
Michelle Gross: Powell Honors Fallen Muslim American Soldier

Who is defending suicide bombings.... ? and who said Allah permits these actions of brutality ? Read again ... this time with your eyes open.

Maybe what you are saying, is that you are unwilling or unable to tell the difference between a plan to kill innocent civilians and trying to kill terrorists which involves unintended innocents killed, is that what your really mean??

Top US lawmaker sees base attack as 'Islamist extremism'

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The chairman of the Senate's Homeland Security committee, Joe Lieberman, on Sunday said that the deadly shooting at Texas' Fort Hood military base was an act of "Islamist extremism."

Lieberman, a former Democratic vice-presidential candidate, said it was too early to definitively state the motives of Nidal Hasan, who is alleged to have killed 13 and injured 30 on a murderous rampage last week, but said clues pointed to terrorism.

"There are very, very strong warning signs here that Dr Hasan had become an Islamist extremist and, therefore, that this was a terrorist act," he told Fox News.

"It's clear that he was, one, under personal stress and, two -- if the reports that we're receiving of various statements he made, acts he took are valid -- he had turned to Islamist extremism," he said.

"If that is true, the murder of these 13 people was a terrorist act."

Lieberman chairs a senate panel that is to probe whether the army missed warning signs that Hasan, a army psychiatrist, may have been preparing an attack.

Major Hasan: Soldier of Allah

By RICHARD ESPOSITO, MARY-ROSE ABRAHAM and RHONDA SCHWARTZ
Nov. 12, 2009

Major Nidal Hasan's private business card, which he obtained over the Internet and kept in a box at his apartment near Fort Hood, Texas.

United States Army Major Nidal Hasan proclaimed himself a "soldier of Allah" on private business cards he obtained over the Internet and kept in a box at his apartment near Fort Hood, Texas.

Hasan, the alleged perpetrator of last week's fatal shootings in Fort Hood, TX, was charged Thursday with 13 counts of premeditated murder under Article 118 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which can carry a sentence up to death or life imprisonment.

The cards make no mention of his military affiliation, but underneath his name he listed himself as SoA (SWT). SoA is commonly used on jihadist Web sites as the acronym for Soldier of Allah, according to investigators and experts who have studied such sites. SWT is commonly used by Muslims as an acronym for Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala, Glory to God.

"He was making no secret of allegiances," said former FBI agent Brad Garrett, an ABC News consultant.

Hasan Had Multiple E-mail Accounts, Officials Said - ABC News

Some have suggested the "SoA" stands for "Slave of Allah" instead. Whatever. He is a jihadi. QED.

Classmates: Hasan defended suicide bombings, held Islamist views

November 12, 2009 5:44 p.m. EST
Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- Those who knew Nidal Malik Hasan before he was a major in the Army -- and the suspect in last week's mass killing at Fort Hood -- say he was long known for militant Islamist views.

Doctors who crossed paths with Hasan in medical programs paint a picture of a subpar student who wore his religious views on his sleeve.

Several doctors who knew Hasan spoke to CNN, but only on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation of the shooting, which left 12 soldiers and one civilian dead and dozens of other people wounded.

Hasan, an Army psychiatrist who faces 13 counts of premeditated murder, "was clearly espousing Islamist ideology" during his time as a medical student at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland, one of his former classmates told CNN.

His former classmates describe a much more militant Hasan.

His presentations for school were often laced with extremist Muslim views, one source said.

"Is your allegiance to Sharia law or the United States?" students once challenged Hasan, the source said.

"Sharia law," Hasan responded, according to the source.

The incident was corroborated by another doctor who was present.

The source recalled another instance in which Hasan was asked if the U.S. Constitution was a brilliant document. Hasan replied, "No, not particularly," according to the source.

The former classmate told CNN that he voiced concerns about Hasan to supervisors at the school.

A second former medical school colleague of Hasan said several people raised concerns about Hasan's overall competence.

Even though Hasan earned his medical degree and residency, some of his fellow students believed Hasan "didn't have the intellect" to be in the program and was not academically rigorous in his coursework.

Hasan "was not fit to be in the military, let alone in the mental health profession," this classmate told CNN. "No one in class would ever have referred a patient to him or trusted him with anything."

The first classmate echoed this sentiment.

Hasan was "coddled, accommodated and pushed through that masters of public health despite substandard performance," the classmate said. He was "put in the fellowship program because they didn't know what to do with him."

The second classmate said he witnessed at least two of Hasan's PowerPoint discussions that included what he described as extremist views.

In these presentations, which were supposed to be about health, Hasan justified suicide bombings and spoke about the persecution of Muslims in the Middle East, in the United States and in the U.S. military, the source said.

Some in the crowd rolled their eyes or muttered under their breath, he said, and others were clearly uncomfortable.

Those in the audience, which included program supervisors, did not loudly object to Hasan's presentations, but did complain to their higher-ups afterward.

The supervisors expressed "appreciation, understanding and agreement" that the complaints would be discussed, but it was unclear what action, if any, came, the source said.

When the classmate challenged Hasan personally, Hasan dodged the questions, the source said.

Despite the controversy that his schoolwork created, classmates did not view Hasan as mentally unstable or psychotic, the source said.

Questions remain over how much Hasan's behavior and actions in school were reflected in his personnel files.

Col. Kimberly Kesling, deputy commander of Clinical Services for Darnell Medical Center at Fort Hood and Hasan's supervisor at the post, told reporters last week that Hasan was doing a good job in Texas.

"As a supervisor, I am aware of the job performance of people coming into our organization, that is part of our credentialing process," Kesling said. "The types of things that were reported to me via his evaluation report were things that concerned me, but did not raise red flags toward this [the shootings] in any way, shape, or form."

Hasan came under investigation last year when his contacts with radical imam Anwar al-Awlaki were intercepted by terrorism investigators monitoring the cleric's communications, a federal law enforcement official told CNN.

An employee of the Defense Department's Criminal Investigative Services, assigned to the Joint Terrorism Task Force, decided to drop the investigation after reviewing the intercepted communications and Hasan's personnel files.

Classmates: Hasan defended suicide bombings, held Islamist views - CNN.com

I have tended to stay away from this topic for many reasons.

First though, this is a terrible crime that was committed, it is also heart rendering for the relatives and survivors of those killed.
My sincere condolences to these innocents of this heinous crime.

Unfortunately what ever the real reason for Hasan’s actions, be it due to mental collapse, deliberate intent or whatever, I feel that the media and others will cloud any real and meaningful investigation by the current feeding frenzy that is taking place.
This frenzy will also harm those Muslims with in the US community and with in the US military forces one way or the other. This is not what I would see as being a sound and honest approach to this very delicate religious and social problem.

Speculation is rife and at times I would wonder as to whom was actually doing the investigation, the US Senator panel chaired by Senator Lieberman, the police, the military or is it really the media. It would also lend itself to speculation that the Senate panel may be preconceived in the findings due to the Chair of that panel making public speculations.

I do not condone the actions of Hasan in any way shape or form or for what ever reason he ties to present as defence of those heinous actions, but I do not condone trial by media either.

Speculation is rife and at times I would wonder as to whom was actually doing the investigation, the US Senator panel chaired by Senator Lieberman, the police, the military or is it really the media. It would also lend itself to speculation that the Senate panel may be preconceived in the findings due to the Chair of that panel making public speculations.

I do not condone the actions of Hasan in any way shape or form or for what ever reason he ties to present as defence of those heinous actions, but I do not condone trial by media either.

A problem for the US public is that it cannot trust some of its institutions to investigate themselves. That is, if various security agencies involved "dropped the ball", i.e "failed to connect the dots", again, as they did with not uncovering the 9/11 plot, can we trust them to "fess up'? Probably not. The "trial by media" that is more important to me, and most Americans, is the trial of our security institutions who failed in their duty to keep the soldiers at Fort Hood safe, even after all they knew about Major Hasan. Most of us don't care about trying Major Hasan. He's so obviously guilty of murder it isn't even necessary to waste anymore thought on him. He will be put on death row in due course. But WHY didn't the two counter terrorism task forces who looked at Major Hasan's contacts with jihadi websites even inform the Army? Our government obviously read his e-mails, probably to the consternation of our ACLU, but STILL didn't make good use of the intelligence. THAT is why it is important to investigate in Congress and by the media. The more the better. We have to root out the barriers to "connecting the dots" before it happens again.

We have to root out the barriers to "connecting the dots" before it happens again. and again and again............

The problem is there are too many intelligence and law enforcement agencies all trying to validate their existence and the $millions spent for the dots to ever be connected properly if at all.

Back
Top Bottom