What's new

US Army major kills 12 in shooting rampage

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SUFFERED THE LOSS...

We pray the love of God enfolds you during your difficult times and he helps you heal with the passage of time.

May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead.

50d4bd3f865a77ab3d0f4f6640194854.gif

d2b426598d1fc8b0bbf61a1b26de4789.png

fe16e936fff2be3dcbd388b83ea9b16f.gif

b176d173ce404ea5204cc0cb04ef5fbd.png

0141e79dc2de35787d2ec1e5b29d6782.gif

There's a lot I don't know. CNN reports 11 dead, not 12. Initial reports had two other armed suspects arrested in an adjacent building. Now I've heard that there were three suspects arrested and two have been cleared and released while a third has been held.

Is it a terror act? In my mind it is if there is more than one involved. If not, we'll never really know as the prime suspect is dead. Understandably, as in addition to the soldiers killed and wounded, Maj. Hasan allegedly killed one civilian contract police officer.

Beyond that, I'm not clear.

What's sad and ironic here is that we're talking about a mental health PROVIDER. This base has absorbed more combat-related deaths than any other. The community surrounding the base is very closely attached with this base and is really part of an expansive extended community so it's a real community tragedy of massive proportions.

The base commander will provide a press conference in 15 minutes as I post now.

Check out the video at BBC. Lt.Gen Bob Cone has already made a statement about this incident.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Deadly shootings at US army base

Scroll down for Barrack Obama's statement.

15d2da33af9d78f83f36beaebc33b60f.jpg

US officials identified the shooter as Major Malik Nidal Hasan

Who is Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan?

This is Major Malik Hasan, who was shot dead this morning after killing 12 soldiers and wounding another 32 at an American army base

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Military sources tell the Associated Press that the shooting suspect in Thursday's attacks on the Fort Hood Army Post in Texas is Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist with who has ties to the Washington, D.C. area.

The attacks on Ft. Hood left 12 people dead and 31 wounded. Authorities killed the gunman, who is said to be Hasan, and apprehended two other soldiers suspected in the attack.

According to the AP, Hasan was a psychiatrist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland for six years before being transferred to the Texas Army Post in July. They also report that according to officials who had access to his military record, Hasan received a poor performance evaluation while at Walter Reed.

Hasan is from Virginia, the AP reports, and was single with no children. He was 39 years old. They report he is a graduate of Virginia Tech University, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997.

According to AP sources, Hasan got his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda in 2001. He also did his internship, residency and fellowship at Walter Reed.

The AP said that officials are trying to determine if Hasan was his birth name, or if he converted to the Islamic faith at some point in his life.

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison told the Associated Press that Hasan was about to deploy overseas. Sen. Hutchison says she was told about the deployment by generals based at Fort Hood, but it wasn't clear if he was headed to Iraq or Afghanistan and when exactly he was scheduled to leave.

According to Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood, the shooter used two handguns in the attacks at the Soldier Readiness Center on Thursday around 1:30 CDT. The gunman was then shot and killed by a civilian policeman.

I saw Gen. Cone's preliminary statement a few hours ago. He clearly didn't know that much himself at the time.

"It's just too bad, it might reinforce certain unhealthy beliefs in the US."

Maybe. We'll see. Meanwhile, PAFAce, I read lots of unanswered unhealthy beliefs RIGHT here daily. Those of you whom are leaders here would do well to focus on addressing those which you might have some influence upon and/or control over.

That might be a helpful contribution to make.

Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) common among soldiers...need proper counseling after every rotation. I read lots of complaint about return soldiers about domestic violence etc . Enough counseling is not their , may be one of reason unable to point the potential behavior danger among soldiers...
S2 being ex soldier what's your opinion. Beside the point he is muslim or may be first generation American.

I don't believe PTSD is the issue here. This officer had not deployed overseas ONCE during his career from what I've heard. He was under orders to do so however.

OTOH, he was a Fellow at the Center For The Study Of Post-Traumadic Stress Disorder and had worked at Walter Reed General Army Hospital in Washington, D.C.

It appears, however, that he obviously seen a number of patients who HAD or were at risk to PTSD. Further, it seems that while he'd been seeing patients 5 days a week, he'd less than one year of clinical experience.

I heard he's a native-born American citizen of Jordanian descent. I've also heard otherwise so I'm unsure there.

The commanding general's press conference keeps being bounced so, clearly, information continues coming in and the C.G. isn't yet ready to speak to the press.

He's survived, undergone surgery and is stabilized. The C.G. is speaking now.

Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) common among soldiers...need proper counseling after every rotation. I read lots of complaint about return soldiers about domestic violence etc . Enough counseling is not their , may be one of reason unable to point the potential behavior danger among soldiers...
S2 being ex soldier what's your opinion. Beside the point he is muslim or may be first generation American.

In this case it might be Pre traumatic Stress Disorder, am not sure he was ever deployed

My condolences to the families of the dead. This is tragic news.

I can only offer a few lines from a poignant poem by Vikram Seth:

All you who sleep tonight
Far from the ones you love,
No hand to left or right
And emptiness above -

Know that you aren't alone
The whole world shares your tears,
Some for two nights or one,
And some for all their years.

Major Hasan is alive and his death is "not imminent", according to the Commanding Officer of the base. The Major is currently in a hospital under CID observation. It has also been reported by the commanding officer that this appears to be a one-man shooting incident, with 2 of the 3 additional suspects already cleared.

Credit must be given where it is due. So far, none of the Army representatives, and even more media personnel, have tried to force-link this with terrorist organizations. Of course, it can't be ruled out completely, but the likelihood is minuscule. The temptation to immediately link this with international terrorism would have been juicy for certain media outlets, but they've checked themselves well. In the US Army, one expects nothing less from a service as professional as that one.

Now, here is a summary of what I know about Maj. Hasan at this time: It is said that Maj. Hasan was born and raised in the United States, and was a practicing Muslim. Reports on CNN have also stated that he had allegedly, at some point during his military career, faced "flack" for his "Middle Eastern" or "Muslim" descent at the hands of fellow Army personnel. He had, according to his cousin, at some point, tried to attain legal representation to leave the Army before his term of service expired. And finally, reports say that Maj. Hasan's online activities were being monitored for the past six months, after he had posted opinions regarding "suicide bombings" that didn't sit well with the Army. That is all the info I have right now, please correct me if I am mistaken.

People are speculating that this may have something to do with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or a sudden change of ideology from moderate to extremist. Both these cases are highly unlikely, in my opinion, as he has not been deployed overseas and he has always been an American born practicing Muslim. My personal view is that this was a man who was fundamentally against military operations in Iraq, and was either very disturbed or very scared (due to his extensive interaction with other soldiers) about being force-fully deployed. Add to this the allegations of harassment at the hands of fellow personnel, and it may have driven him over the edge. I am not trying to justify what he did, I am merely speculating, to the best of my abilities, using the information available currently.

And S-2, I did not mean to suggest anything offensive when I said "unhealthy opinions in the US", but I can understand why you would be overly sensitive to comments at this time. I do not disagree for a second that there are unhealthy opinions on this board, but I would rather stick with the topic of discussion.

Last edited:
Fort Hood shooting: Suspected gunman not among fatalities
Major Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, is in custody in the rampage that left 12 dead and 31 injured in Texas.

Reporting from Los Angeles and Washington - In an act of violence that sent shock waves through the American military establishment and raised questions about base security, a man armed with two handguns allegedly opened fire Thursday afternoon on the grounds of Ft. Hood, the country's largest military base. Twelve people were killed and 31 others injured. The suspect, an Army psychologist, was shot and in custody. The base, home to about 70,000 soldiers and their families, was locked down.

Army officials identified the attacker as Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a major who was recently promoted from captain and worked at the Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood's hospital. Officials had previously reported that Hasan was among the dead.

Officials with access to Hasan's records told the Associated Press that Hasan, who is single and has no children, worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for six years before being transferred to the Texas base in July. They said he received a poor performance evaluation while at Walter Reed.

FBI officials in Washington and in San Antonio said that they had not determined whether others were involved in the attack.

President Obama lamented the attack as a "horrific outburst of violence" and promised justice. "We are going to stay on this," he said.

"These are men and women who have made the selfless decision" to protect the nation, Obama said of the victims. "It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Shooting broke out around 1:30 p.m. local time at a personnel and medical processing office, said Lt. Col. Nathan Banks, an Army spokesman.

A second incident took place at a theater on the base, Banks said. One official who would not give his name said that a graduation had been scheduled for 2 p.m. at the theater.

The base was locked down after the shootings, and people who live there were told to lock their doors and windows. Families, so used to being separated during long deployments, were separated again in a situation that to many seemed surreal.

"My friend's husband called her from Iraq and said, 'Isn't it sad that I am safer over here in Iraq than you are at home?' " said Jessica Sullens, 28, who had spent hours in a nearby Wal-Mart parking lot, where she had dashed on a midday errand. Her own husband, Cpl. Thomas Sullens and their 1- and 2-year old daughters were in lockdown on the base, he with his motor pool while the children were with a neighbor. "This is unreal to me," Sullens said.

Army officials said they did not know whether the handguns used in the assault were military-issued service weapons or personal weapons.

The rules for carrying weapons on an Army post are standard throughout all bases, service officials said. The only personnel allowed to openly display weapons on the base are military police, Banks said. Service weapons are checked daily and are usually only allowed to be removed from an arms room for training on a range or maintenance. Personal weapons must be kept locked and registered with the base provost marshal. The military police keep a record of all of the weapons on a base, Army officials said.

Ft. Hood, which sprawls across 339 square miles of central Texas hill country, is the world's largest military installation. It supports two full armored divisions -- the 1st Cavalry Division and the 4th Infantry Division -- and is home to more than 70,000 soldiers, civilian workers and family members. It is the largest single employer in Texas.

Base personnel have accounted for more suicides than any other Army post since the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, with 75 tallied through July of this year. Nine of those suicides occurred in 2009, counting two in overseas war zones.

Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli, the Army's deputy chief of staff, has been leading an effort to reduce the number of Army suicides, which has climbed sharply this year, possibly as a result from long and repeated deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Three of the four brigades of the 1st Calvary Division are in Iraq. The three brigades -- the first, second and third -- are on their third Iraq tour. The division's newest brigade, the fourth, has done two tours in Iraq, returning most recently in June.

Ft. Hood also is home to three of the brigades of the 4th Infantry Division. The fourth brigade is now in Afghanistan. The first brigade has done three tours in Iraq, returning most recently in March. The second brigade has also done three tours, returning most recently in September.

The military has not released the names of those who were wounded or killed.

-Sidenote Muslim conferences around the country are having Media reports, condemning the attack, also in a fear of blacklash..

We all know not all Muslim are terrorists but you can't blame people for being so skeptical =/, yet another setback how people will view people from the Middle East, or anyone particularly resembling the stereotype.

Back
Top Bottom