What's new

US Army major kills 12 in shooting rampage

"...probably contributed immensely to his frustrations and anger towards his job and authorities. He just couldn't take it anymore, I have a feeling he just went psycho..."

So the other 9,999 or so shall be following suit shortly as well under such an onerous state of existance?:lol:

It appears you're looking to incite. There's no witch hunt ensuing. Were there some pogrom I imagine we'd know so by now. Slaughter, mayhem, mosque burnings, etc.

Read or heard of wildfire outbreaks across fascist, repressive Amerika yet?:disagree:

Very odd. Almost as though you'd LIKE such to be the case.

Thanks.
Almost?...Heck...What I notice often is that whenever the US fails to live...down...to their expectations of US, these gents always overblow events and their first, secondary and third effects and broadly interpret any comments made by anyone. You want mosque afire? See that GI smoking and walking by the mosque? See..He is trying to burn down that mosque...!!!

This is terrible news and my deep condolences go towards all those families who have been affected by this heinous act. I wish he sees the face of law and gets his arse handed to him by the court. Going on a killing rampage and killing your own fellow comrades is being a traitor to both your fellow countrymen as well as your faith and community. This man has done more damage than he can possibly imagine and now he better pay for this disgraceful act.

Why do these people have to take a **** where ever they go?If you don't like US Army just don't join it.This is like Fundamentalist joins Pakistan Army and then shoots Pakistan Army Soldiers because they are killing his mujahids (talibans).This is bad for Muslims who genuinely wants to join US Military as fellow soldiers will be careful before trusting a fellow Muslim US Soldier.

All muslims should be fundamentalist , to follow teaching of your religion is positive and healthy indication .

Extremisim and terrorism spread due to injustice and ignorance , justice and knowledge of right of fellow human beings can be only implemented in society through dawah and tableeg .

There is possibility ,Major Hasan was facing racial harasment from fellow soldiers because he is Palestinian American, in reaction he committed this crime.

We should not jump to any conclusion ,after detail investigation actaul cause of his action will come to surface soon.

Obama Urges No ‘Jump to Conclusions’

WASHINGTON — President Obama, extending condolences to the community at Fort Hood, Tex., reminded Americans on Saturday that people of “every race, faith and station” serve in the military — an oblique attempt to prevent a backlash against Muslims in the wake of Thursday’s shootings at the base that left 13 dead.

Many Muslims have been concerned that their faith will somehow be blamed after an Army psychiatrist, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, who prayed regularly at the Fort Hood mosque, was accused of being the lone gunman in the attack. Mr. Obama did not address that concern directly. But, speaking in his weekly address, he seemed to urge Americans not to dwell on the suspect’s religion by reminding the nation of the broad diversity of those who serve.

“They are Americans of every race, faith and station,” he said. “They are Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and nonbelievers. They are descendants of immigrants, and immigrants themselves. They reflect the diversity that makes this America. But what they share is a patriotism like no other. What they share is a commitment to country that has been tested and proved worthy. What they share is the same unflinching courage, unblinking compassion and uncommon camaraderie that the soldiers and civilians of Fort Hood showed America and showed the world.”

In a Rose Garden appearance on Friday, Mr. Obama urged Americans not to “jump to conclusions” about the motives behind the shooting, a theme he echoed on Saturday.

“We cannot fully know what leads a man to do such a thing,” he said in the Saturday address. “But what we do know is our thoughts are with every single one of the men and women who were injured at Fort Hood. Our thoughts are with all the families who’ve lost a loved one in this national tragedy.”

Reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/us/politics/08address.html?hp

To me, this isn't something phenomenal. Every President or officialdom would say this. The thing is actually our actions should speak louder than words. Muslims will be discriminated after this event anyway -- may be in a wee bit of way.

But I must reiterate again, Nidal didn't do well.

Obama Urges No ‘Jump to Conclusions’

WASHINGTON — President Obama, extending condolences to the community at Fort Hood, Tex., reminded Americans on Saturday that people of “every race, faith and station” serve in the military — an oblique attempt to prevent a backlash against Muslims in the wake of Thursday’s shootings at the base that left 13 dead.

Many Muslims have been concerned that their faith will somehow be blamed after an Army psychiatrist, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, who prayed regularly at the Fort Hood mosque, was accused of being the lone gunman in the attack. Mr. Obama did not address that concern directly. But, speaking in his weekly address, he seemed to urge Americans not to dwell on the suspect’s religion by reminding the nation of the broad diversity of those who serve.

“They are Americans of every race, faith and station,” he said. “They are Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and nonbelievers. They are descendants of immigrants, and immigrants themselves. They reflect the diversity that makes this America. But what they share is a patriotism like no other. What they share is a commitment to country that has been tested and proved worthy. What they share is the same unflinching courage, unblinking compassion and uncommon camaraderie that the soldiers and civilians of Fort Hood showed America and showed the world.”

In a Rose Garden appearance on Friday, Mr. Obama urged Americans not to “jump to conclusions” about the motives behind the shooting, a theme he echoed on Saturday.

“We cannot fully know what leads a man to do such a thing,” he said in the Saturday address. “But what we do know is our thoughts are with every single one of the men and women who were injured at Fort Hood. Our thoughts are with all the families who’ve lost a loved one in this national tragedy.”

Reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/us/politics/08address.html?hp

Thanks budy for posting this sensible message from Obama to American nation:cheers:

I'd read he was under orders to deploy not to Afghanistan but Iraq.

"It kind of puts a negative light on them and makes people distrust them because everybody is going to look at them [and think]: 'Well, you're probably going to pull something like this'," the soldier said. "And it's a sad fact that that [suspicion] will happen."

Some might.

Here's the comment made today by a U.S. Army major of infantry with a tour in Iraq commanding a rifle company whom I know-

"These are two isolated cases in a war that's been ongoing for 8 years. There will be investigations that look at every angle and facet of this case. More will emerge. Maybe the suicide bomber posting will turn out to be a false lead, maybe it will be confirmed. Jumping to conclusions will not help, and condemning an entire class of people will not help either. There are dozens of Muslims working as soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, most of whom bring language skills that are saving American soldiers' lives. Let's not create a tone that drives away other Muslim patriots seeking to serve their country, the United States, and in doing so, place other American soldiers' lives in jeopardy thanks to the bad example of this case."

You might weigh the speculation of possible suspicion as offered by one soldier against these comment offered by another.

Our government and its citizens won't pursue any policies of intimidation or overt abuse against any ethnic, religious, or racial group of American citizens. Can we control the thoughts of individuals? No. Can we assure all that discrimination and prejudice doesn't exist or won't be manifested from time to time? No again.

Could you or any others here do so either?

So life will go on and 10,000 muslim soldiers will continue to serve-no better nor worse than their comrade soldiers of other creeds and we'll deal with events as they occur and judge by the individual and not a group I hope.

I doubt anybody else anywhere else could promise any better were it them instead of us.

Nice thoughts, American principles of equality and non disrimination and justice for all are exactly in line with Islamic teaching , if any muslim commit serious crime against humanity , he shall not be considered muslim .:cheers:

"Being a practicing Muslim in the US military at such a delicate time and having to live with so much discrimination and mistrust with some of his ignorant comrades..."

Actually, you don't know that. You'd like to think that maybe, even project that as a fact. However, there's no way you'd possibly know such for fact and hardly explains millions of muslims choosing to make residence here despite your insinuation. Nor would your off-hand swipe explain 10,000 muslim troops choosing to serve in an all-volunteer U.S. armed force at a time when America is engaged in wars on the soil of two muslim nations.

Firstly, i said "practicing muslim'', so get your magic wand out and tell me how many of those 10,000 soldiers are actually practicing muslims?

secondly, discrimination doesn't exactly translate to violence as you so claim. if that were the case, as you so make it, then there wouldn't be any blacks or hispanics left in the US.

thirdly, texas is not exactly a cauldron of liberalism as you make it seem, infact its quite the opposite, and fort Hood being in the center of your beloved Texas doesn't help it at all.

Ever wonder why your soldiers aren't winning hearts and minds? Slurs such as raghead and towelhead prevalently used by US soldiers are not exactly invented by chineses, eh.

Heck, McCain, you're presidential candidate was caught making a racist slur last year regarding Obama which BenAfflick had to come and correct it "No he's not an Arab, he's aight" like wtf

It appears you're looking to incite. There's no witch hunt ensuing. Were there some pogrom I imagine we'd know so by now. Slaughter, mayhem, mosque burnings, etc.

Read or heard of wildfire outbreaks across fascist, repressive Amerika yet?:disagree:

Very odd. Almost as though you'd LIKE such to be the case.

Thanks.

Incite? Hardly so.

We saw all sorts of wildfires across the US against muslims after 911. Further Youtube videos attest to the behaviour of your soldiers. If you choose to live on cloud, then I can't help you digest a realistic picture of your armed forces.

Afterall, you're a soldier and proponent of imposing democracies and wars in foreign countries, why would discrimination bother you..

Shooting Raises Fears for Muslims in US Army
Major Nidal Malik Hasan is a career soldier with some 20 years experience, who had trained as a psychiatrist and treated troops returning from combat.

He is also reported to be a devout Muslim, who attended daily prayers at a mosque and was seen on the morning of the shooting wearing traditional Arabic dress as he shopped for groceries.

His relatives said he had become disillusioned with US military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and strongly opposed his own imminent deployment to Afghanistan.

He had also long wanted to leave the army after suffering harassment because of his religion, they said.

Whatever the motivation, the tragedy at Fort Hood army base highlights the sensitivities surrounding the issue of American Muslims serving in the US armed forces.

Kamran Memon of the organisation Muslims For a Safe America says the subject splits America's Muslim community down the middle.

"Those at one end of the spectrum say we should have nothing to do with the US armed forces as they are involved in wars with our fellow Muslims abroad," he told the BBC.

"Those at the other end say we should definitely serve and help defend our country against those who wish to attack it.

"There is no easy answer to this. We are trying to encourage American Muslims to learn about these issues and use their critical thinking skills to reach informed conclusions so that we can become greater participants in the debate about national security issues."

Fuelled Tensions

Mr Memon says the vast majority of Muslim citizens in America are "able to live peaceful lives", even though they have probably suffered some discrimination, if only a hostile look, since the 11 September 2001 attacks.

He believes that this will also be true of those Muslims who serve in the US armed forces.

However, there have been some high profile incidents in recent years that have fuelled tensions.

At a camp in Kuwait, as his unit prepared to move into Iraq in March 2003, Sergeant Hasan Akbar threw hand grenades and opened fire on a tent full of sleeping soldiers in the early hours of the morning.

He killed two officers and injured 14 other personnel.

His family said he had been suffering religious and racial harassment from other soldiers, although no witnesses were provided at his trial. The prosecution described him as a "hate-filled, ideologically driven murderer".

Also in 2003, a Muslim chaplain at Guantanamo Bay, Captain James Yee, was accused of espionage and kept in solitary confinement for 76 days before all the charges were dropped.

He was given an honourable discharge - but not an apology - from the army a year later. The case outraged Muslim Americans who felt Captain Yee had been singled out because of his religion.

'Sad fact'

It is not clear exactly how many Muslims serve in the 1.4 million-strong US armed forces, as recruits are not required to state their religion.

According to the Pentagon, there are 3,572 Muslims in active service. However, some Muslims in the military say the real number is as high as 20,000.

The US government has made no secret of the fact that it would like to see more people from Arab and Muslim communities joining the armed forces.

More American Muslim troops on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan has long been seen as a vital part in helping the US in its missions to win hearts and minds in those countries.

"They are a great asset to the army," Lt Col Nathan Banks, army spokesman for the Pentagon, told the BBC.

"When they do deploy they help facilitate a lot of our missions. American Muslims in the army work hand in hand with local Muslims, and we welcome that."

He said the army did not foresee heightened tensions within its ranks as a result of Fort Hood.

"This was an isolated incident. Our hearts go out to everyone affected by this, but the army will stay strong. We have a diverse armed forces, and whatever their religion our troops have a part to play, and they play it very well."

But anti-Muslim sentiment is being felt as a result of the shooting. The Arab-American Institute - which condemned the massacre - said it had received at least one threatening phone call, and expected more.

One soldier at the Texas base admitted the coming days would be tough for his Muslim colleagues.

"They've taken it hard due to the fact that it kind of puts a negative light on them and makes people distrust them," he told the BBC.

"Because everybody is going to look at them [and think]: "Well, you're probably going to pull something like this. And it's a sad fact that that will happen".

BBC NEWS | Americas | Shooting raises fears for Muslims in US army

There is possibility ,Major Hasan was facing racial harasment from fellow soldiers because he is Palestinian American, in reaction he committed this crime.

We should not jump to any conclusion ,after detail investigation actaul cause of his action will come to surface soon.

Stupid excuse! What about the hundreds or so other Muslims of particularly Asian or Middle eastern origin serving in the US armed forces? They too face discrimination? Why dont they come 'out' like the major?
Oh btw, I heard on NPR radio that some members of his family also served in the US armed forces. Why didn't they face similar discrimination?

This is terrible news and my deep condolences go towards all those families who have been affected by this heinous act. I wish he sees the face of law and gets his arse handed to him by the court. Going on a killing rampage and killing your own fellow comrades is being a traitor to both your fellow countrymen as well as your faith and community. This man has done more damage than he can possibly imagine and now he better pay for this disgraceful act.

What about US soldiers who went on rampage and killed 100,000+ Iraqis? destroyed their country? and left them in chaos?

Did they ever saw "the face of law and gets their arse handed to them by the court" ?

What about Afghanistan, where your people are bombed on daily basis by predator drones, I bet you don't even think about fellow Muslims.

This man probably saved couple of Iraqis/Afghanis from Murder, Rape and Torture

Last edited:
Stupid excuse! What about the hundreds or so other Muslims of particularly Asian or Middle eastern origin serving in the US armed forces? They too face discrimination? Why dont they come 'out' like the major?
Oh btw, I heard on NPR radio that some members of his family also served in the US armed forces. Why didn't they face similar discrimination?

Britisher Forces as well

"This man probably saved couple of Iraqis/Afghanis from Murder, Rape and Torture..."

Who knows how many more lives, American/Iraqis/Afghans he might have saved by performing his duties in Iraq as a medical corps officer and mental health provider?

You seem to be applauding his murder of these soldiers, none of whom could have possibly prevented his deployment to Iraq.

"I bet you don't even think about fellow Muslims."

I might suggest, based upon your comments, that you don't think of anybody BUT muslims.

Well, there are millions of muslims that CHOOSE to live in America. There are over 10,000 muslims that CHOOSE to serve in our all-volunteer armed forces fully knowing that we are at war in two muslim nations.

I doubt Major Hasan would have even known as he fired away what the religious denomination was of those whom he wounded or murdered.

What about US soldiers who went on rampage and killed 100,000+ Iraqis? destroyed their country? and left them in chaos?

Did they ever saw "the face of law and gets their arse handed to them by the court" ?

What about Afghanistan, where your people are bombed on daily basis by predator drones, I bet you don't even think about fellow Muslims.

This man probably saved couple of Iraqis/Afghanis from Murder, Rape and Torture

I bet you are the same kind of person that gets outraged every time an american soldier killes a civlian but dont have any problem with a bomber takeing out a bus load of kids resturant or a market...I expect you are going to get what you deserve.

Back
Top Bottom