What's new

Urdu was enforced on us, says Rabbani

I
Urdu was enforced on us, says Rabbani
March 20, 2017 By: Samaa Web Desk Published in Pakistan Be the first to comment!

ISLAMABAD: Chairman Senate Raza Rabbani has said it seems as if Urdu language was forced on us, Samaa reported.

He made the statement while talking to media.

Rabbani stated that the first point of order was raised when Bengali was named national language.

He added that former senator Nisar Memon was labeled a traitor when he called for Sindhi language education.

The Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leader stated that Mir Hasil Khan Bizenjo was not allowed to learn Balochi.

The Senate chief stated that Pashto and Punjabi was not allowed to flourish.
https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2017/03/urdu-was-enforced-on-us-says-rabbani/
@django @haviZsultan @The Eagle @RealNapster @PaklovesTurkiye @The Sandman
Ham aik dosrey sey bat kiya afriki mein karein?
He is just a troll who has deep hatred for army and our national symbols he just made a monument for democracy just so that parliament gets something similar to yadgare shuhada he is most vocal opponent of military courts
I partly agree with him despite being essentially a speaker of urdu. By focusing on urdu we have not let the local languages thrive. I oppose Rabbanis stand on the military but it is the government which has given special attention to urdu and not to regional languages-it is not militaries job to teach in local languages in their schools which itself is a lot.

Though the situation is better in other provinces with the provincial languages there is no Balochi usually taught in Balochistan's schools. A lot of schools in KPK and Sindh have the same problem while Punjabi is disappearing far faster than any language. Jinnah chose urdu because it was a neutral language that belonged to no ethnic group. However our adoption of urdu and equal belief of ourselves as a separate ethnic group, muhajirs is the cause of a lot of tension in Pakistan.

Every student should have the right to learn in or have access to improve his own language. We urdu speakers imposed urdu on Bengalis and look at the result. We have to think beyond ourselves when it comes to language. Each language in Pakistan is beautiful in its own way. Some like Urmuri are disappearing. Something has to be done to protect these languages.

Anyway what is done is done. Urdu is now a language most are agreed with using to communicate. It is the go-between language which everyone can understand. I would be happy though if other languages get their due as well. They shouldn't disappear.

I 100% agree with you bro... With your logic, it should have been the most spoken language that should have been used as a single national language, not something that less than 10% people spoke. 56% of people spoke bengali when pakistan was formed in 1947.

All Dialects are part of German language, And german is an official language of many countries around Germany. Urdu was a dialect not core language like Hochdeutsch.

English became the language of communication because of colonisim. USA just spoke english as Brits were there too.
With your logic. Urdu with less than 10% that too just because of people who migrated came to Pakistan can be comparied as forigen language in mid 20th centrury.

No i don't ... i'm from mars... :azn:

Article posted was for % of urdu speakers in Pakistan.
The idea was that urdu was a go between as well as an Islamic language. Muhajirs did not even exist in 47. There was no ethnic group known as muhajirs then and Jinnah expected us at least to merge as only Pakistanis and if not as Sindhis, Punjabis or others. The problem was the entire demographic was changed when we muhajirs settled in one place, like Karachi or Hyderabad. This changed the demographic. We were so many that we could not integrate as Sindhis as their population in Karachi was reduced to less than 8%. We made a mistake by not learning the language or integrating but I do not think Jinnah's decision to make urdu the national language was a mistake.

It was by far the language most muslims understood and there wasn't anyway to know that migrants like us would form a separate ethnic group known as urdu speakers or muhajirs. This was what, in my eyes changed urdu from a neutral language to the language of an ethnic group and this has harmed the nation. Now every fool who doesn't know history blames urdu of having an elevated status.

BUT there was no less than 10% then. Even Punjabis adopted urdu in most occassions. Muhajirs too did not have any ethnic identity then. Jinnah did not make a mistake. We did by imposing urdu later on on Bengal and other regions. Every person should have the right to learn in his or her own language.

I have been to interior Sind and have not seen anyone enforcing Urdu or stopping Sindis to speak their language, My father's village is some door aftada (far off) village in Attock and since i lived in Karachi all my life i feel hesitant to speak Hindko/punjabi with strangers so I always communicate with locals in urdu..no problem there...not seen any govt agency enforcing Urdu there either. Local languages go along with Urdu fine, people have no issue but these f'ing politicians do

First of all Indians you have no business on this thread as it doesn't concern you. Secondly the issue can easily be solved by renaming Urdu to Pakistani and finally it should be compulsory to learn another regional language and the student can decide which language they want, this way a kid in Hunza could learn Sindhi if he wants, or a guy in Punjab can learn Balochi.

Urdu must also be gradually phased out and replaced with English. The inferior languages of the subcontinent must die. I want to see the entire subcontinent adopt English.

I wish our previous generations had embraced English during the British Raj but they stuck to their inferior and useless languages. False pride in these hollow and superficial traditions has been detrimental.

As a urdu speaking Karachiite...I have no problem with regional languages...They should be promoted along with their cultural heritage...Still, no one can beat Urdu when it comes to biding nation in one unit...Mr. Jinnah wanted Urdu language, so he is accusing Mr. Jinnah, basically?

Actually Jinnah Forced Allama Iqbal on gun point to wrote all the poetry in classical urdu.

Kal say sab French seekhtey hain . jsqm type mentality wakey to chairman Senate baney huey .

In order to preserve and promote the development of local languages, Pakistan should ditch Urdu and replace it with English. On national level all ethnicities can communicate in English and at local level people can communicate and use their regional language. Everyone needs English these days but not sure what purpose Urdu serves? Pakistan's identity is based on Islam rather than culture or linguistic basis so getting rid of Urdu shouldn't do any harm to national unity.
As a Pashtun from Afghanistan I want more cross border colloborations between Pashtuns on both sides to preserve and develope our language which is currently not possible becauss of Urdu and English.

Is Raza muhajir? He says his mother tongue is urdu but needed to write book in English because he can't express himself in urdu. How? Muhajirs people urdu is pretty good, I've noticed they hardly use english words compared to others when speaking urdu.

He is Punjabi and I'm sure he was talking from a Punjabi perspective.

And he is 100% right. Look at how Punjabi is dying in urban Punjab and getting highly Urduized. This is nothing short of cultural genocide.

and develope our language which is currently not possible becauss of Urdu and English.
Does some give a fk of what an Afghanis thinks ? I believe not.

. You see buddy boy you have no right to suggest you ain't citizen or national of pakistan nor youre in Afghnistan

Urdu must also be gradually phased out and replaced with English. The inferior languages of the subcontinent must die. I want to see the entire subcontinent adopt English.

I wish our previous generations had embraced English during the British Raj but they stuck to their inferior and useless languages. False pride in these hollow and superficial traditions has been detrimental.
Angrez to chulaigai peeche pillay chore gai

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to preserve and promote the development of local languages, Pakistan should ditch Urdu and replace it with English. On national level all ethnicities can communicate in English and at local level people can communicate and use their regional language. Everyone needs English these days but not sure what purpose Urdu serves? Pakistan's identity is based on Islam rather than culture or linguistic basis so getting rid of Urdu shouldn't do any harm to national unity.

I agree. English should be kept at national level while all regional languages be made official at provincial level. There should be a process of de-Urduization. The law, constitution etc. are already in English

How is adopting to English a good idea, while killing our own identity ?
Have we not had enough of slavery already ?

It would actually help in promoting our own identity by making all the regional languages (Punjabi, Pashto, Seraiki, Sindhi, Baluchi etc.) official languages and to be in official use at provincial level while keeping English at the center. Killing our identity is what Urdu did.

I wonder why he didn't write his book in his mother tongue? Why choose english when 3/4th of the population cannot understand english?

It would actually help in promoting our own identity by making all the regional languages (Punjabi, Pashto, Seraiki, Sindhi, Baluchi etc.) official languages and to be in official use at provincial level while keeping English at the center. Killing our identity is what Urdu did.
How did urdu killed our identity and while english a foreign language to whole of sub-continent preserved it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom