Unshakeables, the Fab Five of Team India

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Unshakeables, the Fab Five of Team India

sourav-dravid-sachin-031007.jpg

Match-fixing 2.0 might have taken 10 years to arrive, but what is significant is that despite the first round implicating skipper Mohammad Azharuddin, the cancer did not spread in India.

All the elements were in place — the money, the bookmakers, the meaningless matches — and Indian cricket might easily have paid the price.

It didn’t because India were incredibly lucky to find a generation of high-integrity players. Hadn’t it been for the new skipper Sourav Ganguly and his band of upright men, Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Javagal Srinath cricket might never have recovered. We haven’t given these players enough credit for this.

Their value did not begin and end with runs scored, wickets taken and matches won but went beyond into those areas which in the long run have greater impact on a nation’s sporting consciousness.

It is a tribute to their probity that no match-fixer even bothered to tempt them. Perhaps that is what Tendulkar meant when he said recently that no player was approached by bookies in his time (presumably after Azharuddin and his cohorts had been smoked out). He and his colleagues stood as bulwarks against corruption.

Match-fixers had to look elsewhere, and Pakistan was the obvious target, full of players with uncertain futures, governments and cricket boards that were corrupt, and with the prime examples of heroes who had supped with the devil and lived to tell the tale.

There is a lesson here. What was common to the Indian heroes (apart from their middle class backgrounds) was education and a system of values. With the exception of Tendulkar, they were all university-educated men, some of whom did well in professional courses too.

The Indian board’s tie-up with Kumble for a finishing school or mentoring university will hopefully continue that tradition. The temptations today are greater — the resistance must be greater too.

Ten years ago, when Match-fixing 1.0 was unearthed, the reaction of the authorities was sometimes hilarious. There was a plan to fix spy cameras in dressing rooms. Or plant moles among the players. Is it any wonder then that the Anti-Corruption Security Unit that was set up had as many teeth as a newborn?

That is why the International Cricket Council reacting to the News of the World revelations within a week is rather like Usain Bolt running the 100 metres in four seconds. Yet, the fact remains that there is no system to deal with match fixing that is clearly laid out and independent of member-countries’ interference.

As soon as the story broke, the players involved ought to have been suspended pending an inquiry.

A suspension does not presume guilt, and the Pakistan Cricket Board’s cry that it will not react till Scotland Yard registers a case is merely self-serving. The police authorities are investigating a criminal case, which by all accounts they will find hard to sustain given that no money was lost and no one came to any harm. They are not investigating the harm done to cricket. The disciplinary case is the ICC’s baby.

What will the fall out of Match-fixing 2.0 (let us not split hairs, spot fixing is merely a version of match fixing) be? The Asian bloc which has been calling the shots in the game has developed cracks but the money is still in India, and the power shift longed for by England and Australia might not occur. But there could be a realignment of forces.

Cameras and moles will not work. Perhaps the ICC might use the technique weathermen do, feeding as many discrete, unconnected events into a computer and then studying the pattern. Is a batting order being frequently changed? Are players being moved around? Are there surprising bowling changes? It is hard work, even boring, but any event out of the ordinary must be recorded over a period to discover whether a shift from the normal is occasioned by cricketing reasons or something sinister.

We demand a higher moral standard from our sportsmen than from others. This is how it ought to be. The President of Pakistan might be ‘Mr Ten Percent’. But sportsmen cannot use that as an excuse. Sport and morality have a special relationship. Bill Clinton might have cheated on his wife, but had he cheated on a golf course, there would have been no redemption.

Unshakeables, the Fab Five of Team India - Sport - DNA

Last edited:
Really respect to Sachin, Sourav, Rahul, Anil, VVS and Sri! They have truly recovered Indian cricket from Match fixing disgrace.

Muhammad Azhar is now a Member of Parliament right? Since he proved his mettle in cricket, he probably got promoted :D

^^^^It's just vote bank politics. He stood where there was a majority muslim population. Since 1977 all the MP's from that constituency were all muslims. I think he got the muslim sympathy or they just hate all other politicians more than him. But I still don't understand why Indian National Congress would even nominate him.

^^^^It's just vote bank politics. He stood where there was a majority muslim population. Since 1977 all the MP's from that constituency were all muslims. I think he got the muslim sympathy or they just hate all other politicians more than him. But I still don't understand why Indian National Congress would even nominate him.

I basically pwned you Indians :P

Amongst Indian Cricketers - Anyway, I have a LOT of respect for all those players. Except Ganguly, Rarely have they gotten into controversy. Really - Dravid, Kumble, Srinath, Laxman, Sachin - I've never seen them talking ANYTHING offensive. Ohhh and Venkatesh Parsad. That guy. He was a mediocre bowler, but I liked him. I like Sehwag, even though he talks a lot.

I strongly dislike Harbhajan singh, Sreesanth and co. though.

I have been following Cricket since the past 12 years and looking back..i think our team has come a long way...we are the best test team in the world...if you told someone six years ago that India will be no. 1 ..they wont believe.

But apart from no.1 status also..i truly respect these cricketers for never letting the nation shake its head in shame....specially after the recent incident.

I basically pwned you Indians :P

Amongst Indian Cricketers - Anyway, I have a LOT of respect for all those players. Except Ganguly, Rarely have they gotten into controversy. Really - Dravid, Kumble, Srinath, Laxman, Sachin - I've never seen them talking ANYTHING offensive. Ohhh and Venkatesh Parsad. That guy. He was a mediocre bowler, but I liked him. I like Sehwag, even though he talks a lot.

I strongly dislike Harbhajan singh, Sreesanth and co. though.

Unfortunately, most of these gentlemen have retired, or in the last leg. The new breed of Indian cricketers are outright offensive and cocky. Many coaches have disapproved of their behavior on the field in domestic games.

Btw, Ganguly was a lot like Ranatunga. The fact that people disliked him is a tribute to a job well done. He always stood for his players, and he deserves a lot of credit for the way he brought us out the match fixing episode. Some of his boys are the reason for our team's position today. And yeah, he only gave nonsense to the countries that deserved it. He never dished out offensive behavior to players from the subcontinent or WI (unless they asked for it), and never made a cheap comment on the field.

I understand why you may not like Sree and Bhajji. But how can you not like Sehwag's attitude? He is honest, and always speaks his mind. He is probably the one who can get away with (seemingly) arrogant statements. It takes a lot of ability to get to that position.

He is probably the one who can get away with (seemingly) arrogant statements. It takes a lot of ability to get to that position.

And that's why I said that I like Sehwag. I am looking to some Sachin+Sehwag action this coming WC!

Azahar Ud Din is the ICC unbiased pannel judge.comissioner for the Pakistan trio appeal :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom