What's new

UN warns Pakistan on refugee plan

mujahideen

Reaction score
UN warns Pakistan on refugee plan

Pakistan needs to revise a plan to repatriate 2.4 million Afghan refugees by the end of 2009, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has said.

Kilian Kleinschmidt, UNHCR assistant representative in Pakistan, told the Associated Press news agency the plan was unworkable and could backfire.

Pakistan said it still hopes most of the refugees will return by the end of next year.

It says Taleban militants blamed for attacks often shelter in refugee camps.

The UNHCR has already agreed to Pakistan's plan to shut down four camps that Islamabad says pose a security threat.

Many of the refugees fled during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Most live in towns or cities, rather than camps.

Pakistan announced the plan to repatriate the refugees early in 2007, when relations with Afghanistan were particularly tense.

Repatriations are supposed to be voluntary, but many refugees say they do not want to return.

Mr Kleinschmidt told AP that the plan needed to be "revised and reviewed".

Refugees who were repatriated would likely go back to Pakistan as illegal immigrants, he said.

"It could even push a number of these returnees into the hands of militants. It could be counterproductive and really affect regional stability," he added.

But Pakistan's commissioner for Afghan refugees, Imran Zeb Khan, said his country should not have to "carry the burden" of the refugees alone, and would still try to get close to its target for 2009.

"We will give it our best shot," he said.

Millions of Afghan refugees have already returned from Pakistan, Iran and other countries since the fall of the Taleban in 2001.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | UN warns Pakistan on refugee plan

Pakistan is for Pakistanis, or for people who have something good to offer in the service of Pakistan. These Afghans have given us nothing but trouble. Its time they leave.

Perhaps a process to legalize some involved in trades (carpet weaving etc) where their skills are needed could be utilized as well.

That is strange.

There around 100,000 Tibetan refugees in India, and they don't cause any trouble.
They live in their own communities and are mostly educated and reasonably well off.
Several of them study in universities...some have even made it to IITs.

The situation is different here. Ever since Afghans arrived we had nothing but truouble. Before them no one knew about heroine, charas or other drugs. These products were introduced by these afghans. Then they have also been involved in robbery, dacoity and abduction for ransom. Many of them have also been involved in bomb explosions. Pakistan got weaponised because of them. What ever weapons were present in Afghanistan ultimately ended up in Pakistan. Afghans are also blamed for the prostitution.

Its time they were told to go back home and do whatever they wished to do in their own country. A lot of business activity shall be generated for Pakistanis and tax collection increased since Afghans do not pay tax.

BOTTOM LINE ITS TIME THEY GO HOME, BYE BYE :wave::wave:

SA, there are millions of Bangladeshi refugees who cause trouble..

We really need to send these no good terrorists back to where they belong. We have suffered their burden long enough for which they dont even give due credit to us, it time they smell the real coffee and get lost.
The next step should be for us to mine and fence the border to restrict the infiltration of these terroists into our terrority.

Afghanis are causing trouble in Pakistan but IMO we should control the Pashtun areas of Afghanistan as we have gained nothing from Afghan war, its time to get the benefits for sacrifices that we have given.

:pakistan:who the hell is un.we don't want any more afghani in our land thats it.if un have prob send then any westren country or USA but we can't do this good job more .pakistan is for pakistani people not for drugs smaglers or tarerrsts and war lords.kick them back now:wave::wave::wave:

I'm all for the Afghan refugees staying in Pakistan till the situation improves. I do think that the claim that Afghan refugees are involved in crime, looting and every other negative thing is just exagerrated. The people have suffered a couple of wars in succession, Pakistan should, and I'm sure will be there to accept them as refugees whether the Pakistan government wants to send them back or not (which I believe is more of a political swipe at Karzai than anything - silly in my opinion since politics should be kept out of the refugee world). The border is way too porous anyway. Like AM says, give them jobs, integrate them, they'll not be doing any drugs (if that is what they are doing, for which I havent seen any evidence of - the onus which is on you lot to provide). No point thinking emotionally just because some Afghanis whipped your rears on the internet or didn't speak to you in the Masjid based on the subjective viewpoint that it's because you're Pakistani - hormonally imbalanced and overly sensitive teenagers and nothing more!

I'm all for the Afghan refugees staying in Pakistan till the situation improves. I do think that the claim that Afghan refugees are involved in crime, looting and every other negative thing is just exagerrated. The people have suffered a couple of wars in succession, Pakistan should, and I'm sure will be there to accept them as refugees whether the Pakistan government wants to send them back or not (which I believe is more of a political swipe at Karzai than anything - silly in my opinion since politics should be kept out of the refugee world). The border is way too porous anyway. Like AM says, give them jobs, integrate them, they'll not be doing any drugs (if that is what they are doing, for which I havent seen any evidence of - the onus which is on you lot to provide). No point thinking emotionally just because some Afghanis whipped your rears on the internet or didn't speak to you in the Masjid based on the subjective viewpoint that it's because you're Pakistani - hormonally imbalanced and overly sensitive teenagers and nothing more!

If they have to live here their areas must be in Pakistan b/c we are gaining nothing. The problem is that they are not loyal to Pakistan.

Well if you choose to ignor the facts then thats your problem. Go to Pakistan ask anyone the Afghans have done nothing good for us. They brought the Kalshnkov and drugs culture to Pakistan. They must go back and if they dont leave volunteerly then we must and I stress the word must evict them by force. I'd rather we bring the Biharis from Bangladesh. Those are the type of people we would love to host. They are loyal to Pakistan. But you wont understand that, because in every arguement you favour the Afghans and curse the Biharis(and Bengalis). I am asking you are you some sort of Pushtun nationalist or are you an Afghan who can to Pakistan and some how got Pakistan nationality? Read the post of every one above they will disagree with you but you again choose to ignor the facts and not just ignore them but at the same time make fun of people who disagree with you.

If they have to live here their areas must be in Pakistan b/c we are gaining nothing. The problem is that they are not loyal to Pakistan.

The only refugees who have the right to get refugee in Pakistan are the Baharis, who are suffering in Bangladesh right now.

Afghans who never care about their own piece of land,what you guy think, they care about us. We have hundreds of stories, how the ruined Pakistani society. A nation who live in stone age and when come down the modern civic dwellings, they will act like animals anyway.
I read an Iranian UNO report in which they confined these afghans in camps, after an incident in which an afghan refugee snatch the earrings from 7 year old iranian girl and few more incidence of robber and killings. Country leadership didn't wait for more anarchy and confined them in the cage. They don't deserve to come in cities.
Well thanks to late Zia, hamara afghan bhai, who gave us gift of Klashankov and heroin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom