What's new

Umar Akmal fined for 'offensive' umpire snub

Lenin

Reaction score
COLOMBO: Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal was fined 50 per cent of his match fee for an “offensive” snub of the umpires’ authority during his team’s 16-run defeat to Sri Lanka in the World Twenty semi-finals on Thursday.Umar Akmal fined for

Weren't the commentators saying that it's the opposing team's captain's call to allow or disallow a batsman to change his gloves?

i think empire didnt gave him the permission but he still went ahead.... Thats not good.... I felt like he went to take a word of advice from they guy who brought the gloves.... However he didnt even stop a nano second because empire was watching.... I dont understand why its always pakistani cricketer in the news for wrong reason.... I understand he wanted to change gloves but he just went ahead even when empire warned him not to go ahead.... That made me bit shocked....

I'm glad it wasn't Kohli. People are so jealous of him, they would again start on arrogance blah blah. BTW has anyone said so far Pakistan lost because they are arrogant? LOL!

According to the rules explained by the commentator, it is the captain's call, and not of the umpire in anyway.

The umpire also gave Jamshed a wrong LBW!!!

In the India- RSA match, the umpires gave a stupid call again for Raina I think, who was running from slip to cover for the reverse sweep type shot.

match to har rahy thy umpaire ne jo not out ko out diya us ki maan bheen aik kerty ana tha saaly ki :lol:

I salute this guy especially the way he remove the helmet at very end to hit the shot. It was like do or die now. Live ur moment and make a mark in history.

Well i was not aware of this glove change thing till yesterday. He is a young blood. I wish there were fouji razak in the team. On the other end with Umar akmal . we know how they play well in last overs.

umpiring standard was really low during ind vs sa & PAK vs sl match... wrong decisions and unnecessary cautions to players.... Raina had the rite to move around after the ball was bowled.... i dunno why umpire was pissed........ umpires were pissed @ U Akmal for changing the gloves during over... i think Akmal should have waited for the over to be completed....

@soul exactly.... It was the empire who was anti-india.... Raina didnt move before the ball.... He moved after the ball was bowled.... That empire even gave many not outs when SA was batting.... He looked anti india while the umar akmal decision was right that he should had waited for over to get over.... The rules says a batsman can only ask for bat if bat is broken in middle of over.... Empire did warned umar akmal and told him about the rule yet he ignored empire.... You have seen how dissapointed and shocked empire was that he nod his head in shock.... I think umar not had got fined if empire didnt had warned.... Empire warned him yet he exchange the gloves.... Thats not good thing to do....

@soul exactly.... It was the empire who was anti-india.... Raina didnt move before the ball.... He moved after the ball was bowled.... That empire even gave many not outs when SA was batting.... He looked anti india while the umar akmal decision was right that he should had waited for over to get over.... The rules says a batsman can only ask for bat if bat is broken in middle of over.... Empire did warned umar akmal and told him about the rule yet he ignored empire.... You have seen how dissapointed and shocked empire was that he nod his head in shock.... I think umar not had got fined if empire didnt had warned.... Empire warned him yet he exchange the gloves.... Thats not good thing to do....

Sometimes the situation is more complicated then that. Umar Akmal was facing the second last over of the match where he had to score 30 odd runs while his gloves were wet. Now any cricketer would know that when your gloves are wet by sweating, it is very hard to grip the bat and play power strokes. He could have waited for the over to end but by then he would have lost whatever little chance Pakistan had to win that game. It was worth that risk IMHO.

there are some things which are bigger than mere loss and win, called sportsman spirit. During, i think south Africa game, it was again U akmal who started to run even before the bowler had crossed the bowling stumps. Did he go on to hit the stumps and get U akmal’s wicket? No cause thats against the spirit of the game even though it was legal. Bottom line when an umpire gives a call fair or unfair that should be the final words. After all its called a gentleman’s game for nothing

Agree, umpiring standards were not up to the mark. Too many controversial decisions, ICC must do needful to improve umpiring.

Akmal should have talked to Jayawardene, if he was fine with it then the whole situation would have been diffused right on the ground.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom