What's new

UK, US death squads tearing Iraq apart: Analyst

Hasbara Buster

Reaction score
UK, US death squads tearing Iraq apart: Analyst

Interview with Sukant Chandon

Press TV has conducted an interview with Sukant Chandon, a political commentator, in London, about the terrorizing of Iraq by foreign-backed militants and Prime Minister al-Maleki’s announcement of a state of emergency.

The following is an approximate transcript of the interview.

Press TV: Do you agree with the analysis of events that we’re not having a clear picture of actually what’s happening in Iraq? What can you tell us?

Chandon: I think this is a continuation of the march of the Arab Sting and there is a direct connection between the explosion of the Arab Sting and the destruction the depravity and the division we’ve been seeing in the region because what the Arab Sting did was to unleash sectarian forces, divisive forces and also forces, which had no strategic plan in bettering the countries impacted.

It unleashed it and the most traumatic things that developed were particularly in Libya, in Syria and also in Yemen. And in these countries the death squads – and I’ll develop the analysis about the nature of the death squads, basically it’s an upgrade, it’s 2.0 death squad formation by the West to that which they had in the so-called Latin American arena in the 1970s and 1980s. So this has unleashed it.

And what we’re seeing in Northern Iraq is very clearly part of the fallout from the Western-manipulated and orchestrated directed war in Syria. And really what it is also is the West pushing back against the strategic advances of the resistance formations in Syria against the death squads there.

So it’s to open up some... kind of loosen the pressure in Syria, open up some territory in Iraq and to continue developing this death squad divisive depraved strategy, which is impacting and tearing apart the so-called Muslim world.

Press TV: A lot’s been said about the role of the government as well. Some people are saying that Mr. Maleki was at fault in the way he treated for instance the protests that started in Anbar province. This triggered a lot of what’s been happening; and they’re also saying that the Iraqi army was not ready for this kind of onslaught. What do you think about that?

Chandon: God help anyone who was in charge of this colonial construct, which is called Iraq. I don’t mean that to insult Iraqis or the Iraqi nation, but the fact is this is a British construct. It was constructed in such a manner that the divisions that cut across ethnic religious and faith lines would have the base ingredients for ongoing intergenerational trauma and division.

Iraq is a classic case of Western divide and ruin and divide and rule strategy working is unfortunately and tragically, against the Iraqi people and neighboring people, working extremely well.

There has been openings in Iraq whereby the two main forces of the Iraqi people – that’s the Shia and Sunni… and remember we never used this rhetoric before 2003 when ‘hey presto’ this very strange person Zarqawi (Abu Musab al-Zarqawi) took over the death squads in Iraq.

But we’ve had certain openings where the two communities did actually defacto fight together against the US occupation: pro-Iranian forces, Shia political forces and also Sunni forces. I hate to use this sectarian language, forgive me I hope you understand. Sunni revolutionary forces as well were defacto in shooting in the same direction i.e. against the common enemy, which was Britain and the United States in Iraq.

And then with the siege of Fallujah by the US army and also the siege of Najaf there were openings whereby the two communities had come together.

Maleki is in an awful position and there is a lot of corruption. It’s not like Syria where the Syrian people can see and be proud of and raise the morale in terms of the beautiful society that Syria was with all its problems pre-2011.

In Iraq you don’t have that similar fighting morale amongst the people there, but nevertheless... there is an opening here because those people who were pro-al-Qaeda in Iraq before, some of them more nationalist and some of the more religious political forces as well, have now actually changed their position and come in alliance with the Baathist Syrian-Led resistance in Syria.

So in the Syrian arena there is actually an opening where these two forces can come together and it really is in the interests of the Iraqi that these two communities Shia and Sunni do come together and foil the plans of the British and of the United States being railed against them.

Press TV: What are your views about Maleki’s handling of the situation saying that people in the area can be armed now?

Chandon: I would agree with sister Dahlia (Dahlia Wasfi, other Press TV guest) in as much as the people of Libya the people of the DRC – Congo and the people of Iraq, these are some of the most traumatized impacted peoples that we have in the global south.

Enough is enough, we need peace, we need respite, but unfortunately the situation at hand is how do we get to that point strategically; how do we actually build towards that; how do we build capacity to achieve that peace? And we need some viable roots towards that.

Now… I’m not going to disagree with the faults of al-Maleki because they’re glaring and they’re obvious and it’s predicated – as sister Dahlia said – and illegal and extremely violent and traumatic occupation by Britain and the USA. So, it’s a dysfunctional state and that’s an understatement.

So I’ve got no quibbles about how bad the al-Maleki government is and how dysfunctional, that is true. Nevertheless Iraqis is still being plunged deeper into a crisis and trauma by London, Paris and Washington and its regional allies in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and in Turkey.

And why? It’s an ironic twist of history that the victors of the US and British aggression against Iraq is two-fold really: one is actually the Iranian Islamic Republic, which found its strategic position strengthened as a result of that - That was not the intention of the USA and Britain at all; and secondly, it’s actually the death squads.

Let’s remember the SAS in Basra around 2005 when they were caught with explosives and Arab clothes pretending to be so-called jihadists – I think that’s a totally wrong term to call these people because Jihadists are honorable in a libratory concept and ethic - These people are absolutely the opposition of that.

So, really, we know that the United States and Britain through their covert strategy are deeply implicated in this using their death squads – and that’s a strategy that they started in Latin America.
And the last US Ambassador to Syria, Robert Ford, was a student of the mastermind of the Latin American death squads that was Mr. Negroponte. So there is a direct lineage in developing this.

Maleki is not liked. With all his faults he is not playing ball totally with the West because he is helping to protect the Baathist government in Syria. So really, there is a deeply violently profoundly contradictory situation, but we must grapple to find some unity through all of this and find some kind of path to some kind of peace.

Press TV: We saw video supposedly showing the ISIL shooting indiscriminately at civilians who were fleeing Mosul. So they are very vicious and not looking at who they’re killing. Do you agree that al-Maleki is doing the same thing in targeting civilians?

Chandon: The thing is there has been unjust things that have happened and I’m aware of the demonstrations, which sister Dahlia is referring to in Anbar province and obviously that didn’t help the situation.

Nevertheless this goes to before 2013 doesn’t it? It goes right back to the occupation when post 2003 the war of aggression by the USA and Britain we had this emergence of the second generation al-Qaeda led by Zarqawi, which was just brutal in its ruthlessness and bloody-minded nature against Christians and people of the Shia faith; and also against Sunnis who they branded whatever they wanted to brand to justify depravity against them.

So, I think yes Maleki has a responsibility, but I would argue Maleki and the entity that he represents is a profound contradiction. Within that contradiction there is something positive to defend, but there’s also the very deeply problematic aspect of that contradiction as well; and that we actually do have to hold to account when understanding and analyzing this, the other major players.

Iraq has always been like many other countries across the Global South, the victim of external players who are trying to manipulate the situation for their own interests.

I think the great challenge is, is the challenge of unity in defending their neighboring states particularly Syria; and this is a chess game, again, about weakening Iran’s strategic allies in the region in order to soften up and to destroy Iran like they destroyed Libya and they’re destroying Syria and they’re destroying Iraq.

PressTV - UK, US death squads tearing Iraq apart: Analyst

Another wild story from one of the Iranian government's "news" outlets.

US/UK were not tearing Iraq apart when Noori Al Maliki ( pro-Iranian ) was installed as PM but now they are

We all know, we wait actions starting by WMDs for self defense

Back
Top Bottom