What's new

UAE and France sign deal for 80 Rafale fighter jets

So no progress on US F35s ? Probably a move to piss off Americans by shaking hands with disgruntled Frenchs after Australian submarine snub.
Negotiations have been ongoing since mid-2000's with an official rejection in 2011.

On the F35 issue, the US has again raised Huawei 5G as a point of contention. With their partnership in the Su-75 it remains to be seen, who blinks first.

The F4 model planes, which are still undergoing a two-billion-euro development programme scheduled to be completed in 2024, will be delivered from 2027.. The order to replace the UAE's 60 Mirage 2000-9 jets bought in 1998..

This deal certainly comes with a good percentage of TOT.. and a lot of concessions from France for local weapons' integration..

DA00031317_Si.jpg

EC725_caracal.jpg

Last edited:
Good for them. It's important to have an effective means to defend yourself.

Good question, I think that UAEAF would have to be a dumbass to not get integration of the weapons they asked the companies to produce for them and funded.

Supposedly they are also developing an air to air missile by 2025.

View attachment 798486

View attachment 798488
With them investing $10bn+ in Turkey, and Erdogan expected to visit UAE, could we possibly see JV's or ToT?

Right time for India to place follow on orders as this deal along will further reduce the price of those jets
You guys will still buy them for more - for obvious reasons.

#CORRUPTION​

And please don't give me that there wasn't any in the last deal. We've all seen the figures India paid for 'em. Your Country got shaffted a 4.5 Gen jet which costed 'em the price tag of a 5th. But hey..., if there are kickbacks - you won't see Pakistanis complaining 'bout it.

With a growing domestic Mil Industrial Complex, it remains to be seen, how much work will be done domestically, and how much by sub system suppliers outside France.

@The SC @Philip the Arab ?

France industry I believe is able to supply most component, even the engine is French as well.

For Indonesia, I doubt we will buy Rafale despite LOI between our MOD and Dassault. We only have 1.1 billion USD foreign loan approval for MRCA program (2020-2024). Both our planning minister and finance minister havent approved Rafale acquisition.

Indonesia will likely buy 1 squadron of F 16 V for 1.1 billion USD

1638530708997.png

The Emirates contracted for the best available aircraft, which is the F-35, but relying on it alone is impractical, so it is really better to acquire the Rafale.

The UAE has great experience with French planes and has a huge stockpile of ammunition, and the Rafale F4 offers a remarkable improvement and a very satisfactory performance that allows it to work alongside the F-35 with all the comfort and strength. In addition to the Emirati masterpiece Global Eye (the Emirates contracted two additional planes, bringing the total to 5 in the future), we are talking about the most technologically advanced Arab air force.

20211203_100716.jpg

Last edited:
France industry I believe is able to supply most component, even the engine is French as well.

For Indonesia, I doubt we will buy Rafale despite LOI between our MOD and Dassault. We only have 1.1 billion USD foreign loan approval for MRCA program (2020-2024). Both our planning minister and finance minister havent approved Rafale acquisition.

Indonesia will likely buy 1 squadron of F 16 V for 1.1 billion USD

View attachment 798505
In Indonesian terms, how much would a squadron strength be?

In Indonesian terms, how much would a squadron strength be?

16 planes, but if our money is not enough, 12 planes can fill 1 squadron. Our need is to fill previous F 5 squadron with newer fighter, all of our F 5 planes have been grounded, to keep the squadron alive, other squadron has lend them 3 SU 30 fighters.

I think , RAF is beating EFT in world sales after the introduction of F3 and F4 upgrades

1. Dassault Aviation
  2. AIR
  3. Fighter Aircraft
  4. Uae
U.A.E. Signs Contract to Buy 80 Rafale F4 Jets
  • Our Bureau
  • 10:34 AM, December 3, 2021

Signing of the U.A.E.-Dassault contract for Rafale fighters on December 3, 2021.
The United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) has entered into a contract with Dassault Aviation for the acquisition of 80 Rafale F4 fighters on Friday.
The contract was signed in the presence of the President of the French Republic, Emmanuel Macron, and Sheikh Mohammed ben Zayed Al Nahyane, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Vice-Commander of the Armed Forces of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Eric Trappier, Chairman and CEO of Dassault Aviation, signed a historical contract with Tareq Abdul Raheem Al Hosani, CEO of Tawazun Economic Council.
The Emirates Air Force will be the first user of the Rafale F4 outside France.
“The sale of 80 Rafale to the UAE Federation is a French success story: I am very proud and very happy as a result. I wish to thank the authorities of the Emirates for their renewed confidence in our aircraft. After the Mirage 5 and Mirage 2000, this Rafale contract consolidates the strategic relationship that binds our two countries and the satisfaction of the Emirates Air Force, a long-standing and demanding partner of our company. I wish to underline the quality and effectiveness of the relationship between the French authorities and industry, which contributed to this success by team France,” Eric Trappier, Chairman and CEO of Dassault Aviation.

Rafale fighter jet deploying missile counter-measures
The French Minister of the Armed Forces, Florence Parly, welcomes the choice of the United Arab Emirates in favor of the Rafale to modernize their fleet of combat aircraft:
"The Rafales and related equipment are ordered by the United Arab Emirates via commercial contracts between the United Arab Emirates, the GIE Rafale (Dassault Aviation, Safran and Thales) and MBDA. This acquisition is part of a major equipment and training program, which is the subject of an intergovernmental agreement and two cooperation arrangements in the operational and armaments fields."

H225M Caracal helicopter
The U.A.E. has also committed to buy twelve H225M Caracal helicopters from France. “The twelve H225M aircraft will be entirely produced and assembled in France, at the Airbus Helicopters industrial site in Marignane. As an extension of the order for eight additional H225M Caracal helicopters, placed by the French Ministry of the Armed Forces last April under the government support plan for aeronautics, this new order further consolidates the H225M Caracal production and assembly line of the Marignane site and all its suppliers, and consequently, sustains hundreds of jobs,” the French Ministry of Defense announced.

No, Saudis. They dont want to be bullied by MBS.

They have already made peace / normalized relations with Iran & Turkey.
I doubt UAE at present time would deviate so far from KSA as to arm itself against KSA...
...even so if this was to be...and for a moment we imagine UAE not in the KSA camp...I don't think KSA can threaten them(with or without this Rafale order). If we take into account KSA's Yemen situation, Iranian influence in Syria, Iran, and the not so great relations with Qatar...KSA is already pretty busy on all fronts(overt and covert)...taking on a well armed UAE(which it is even without this order) would be disastrous.

This order definitely adds strength to UAE...but without it...UAE is plenty strong given its size. I see it more as a WANT than a NEED. I think they could've made a better move than the Rafale in this case...but it's their money...they can spend it how they want.

I doubt UAE at present time would deviate so far from KSA as to arm itself against KSA...
...even so if this was to be...and for a moment we imagine UAE not in the KSA camp...I don't think KSA can threaten them(with or without this Rafale order). If we take into account KSA's Yemen situation, Iranian influence in Syria, Iran, and the not so great relations with Qatar...KSA is already pretty busy on all fronts(overt and covert)...taking on a well armed UAE(which it is even without this order) would be disastrous.

This order definitely adds strength to UAE...but without it...UAE is plenty strong given its size. I see it more as a WANT than a NEED. I think they could've made a better move than the Rafale in this case...but it's their money...they can spend it how they want.
Sir, you are reading too much into my statement, and going to extreme conclusions.

UAE, has positioned itself as a neutral financial hub, and would like to maintain a degree of independence, via diplomatic and military means.

As to "better than Rafale", they are invested in Su-75 for a reason....?

Back
Top Bottom