What's new

UAE and France sign deal for 80 Rafale fighter jets

I doubt UAE at present time would deviate so far from KSA as to arm itself against KSA...
...even so if this was to be...and for a moment we imagine UAE not in the KSA camp...I don't think KSA can threaten them(with or without this Rafale order). If we take into account KSA's Yemen situation, Iranian influence in Syria, Iran, and the not so great relations with Qatar...KSA is already pretty busy on all fronts(overt and covert)...taking on a well armed UAE(which it is even without this order) would be disastrous.

This order definitely adds strength to UAE...but without it...UAE is plenty strong given its size. I see it more as a WANT than a NEED. I think they could've made a better move than the Rafale in this case...but it's their money...they can spend it how they want.
And this is what the Qataris have ordered:

Screenshot_2021-12-03 Qatar Air Force - Wikipedia.png

Qatar will have 36 Rafale,36 F-15E Strike Eagle and 24 Eurofighters. The UAE can't ignore that. Especially since the Qatar has relations with Turkey and Iran now.

UAE Air Force is already quite decent, I dont know why they want to spend huge money to buy 80 Rafales. Better spending the money for something more productive. They should start ordering new fighter in 2032 instead of now, to replace their Mirage 2000 with 5 generation fighters.

Multi-role mission. The cost of operating the fifth-generation fighter is so high that even the US is increasing its purchases of fourth-generation fighters. The F35 has proven to be the wrong technical route, the US is upgrading the F22 to maintain air superiority and acquiring the F15EX for multi-role missions.

Sir, you are reading too much into my statement, and going to extreme conclusions.

UAE, has positioned itself as a neutral financial hub, and would like to maintain a degree of independence, via diplomatic and military means.

As to "better than Rafale", they are invested in Su-75 for a reason....?
UAE air force comprises of mainly Mirage 2000s and F16s. If we r to consider 4++ gen fighter aircraft options...then F16 would be a better option than to add a third expensive aircraft to the mix.
- UAE partially funded the development of block 60(UAE specific) F16s. They ended up with some partial ToT IIRC. So they could just as well purchase the latest block 70 F16s even if the same number as this Rafale order...it would've been much more streamlined and overall cheaper.

Or conversely...as I stated before that their current air force is plenty strong...they could use that to instead focus on the future and purchase/invest in 5th gen. Whether that involves purchasing F35(depending on geopolitics) or investing in Russian checkmate...
...or some other Russian, Chinese, or even Turkish 5th gen solution(again all depending on geopolitical situation) and aiming for even higher ToT(as compared to F35 for which I assume there would be none).

Going with 80 Rafales seems like the least best option(for their funds). It's something a nation would do if it was trying to plug holes in its capabilities facing a much stronger foe.

Qatar does this type of stuff too...but at least in that case...it makes sense bcuz that's their overall policy. They literally give out a few billion to pretty much all the major powers to kind of hire bodyguards. UAE on the other hand has been focusing heavily on things like ToT and domestic defense industry...
...for them to make a Qatar like move...doesn't seem to make much sense.
And this is what the Qataris have ordered:

View attachment 798564

Qatar will have 36 Rafale,36 F-15E Strike Eagle and 24 Eurofighters. The UAE can't ignore that. Especially since the Qatar has relations with Turkey and Iran now.
Read my post above.

Multi-role mission. The cost of operating the fifth-generation fighter is so high that even the US is increasing its purchases of fourth-generation fighters. The F35 has proven to be the wrong technical route, the US is upgrading the F22 to maintain air superiority and acquiring the F15EX for multi-role missions.

I am not talking about F 35, I am proposing KF 21

I am not talking about F 35, I am proposing KF 21

errr. Fighter jets, I only recommend buying US, Russian, Chinese, French. Some other countries may have some excellent weapons, but large weapons are complex systems that require the full capability of the producing country.

Right time for India to place follow on orders as this deal along will further reduce the price of those jets
they can't reduce price for bharat due to kickbacks required. France is not going to pay those from out of its own pocket. or like modi the teli woud say price is not doubled because of corruption but due to them being super special custom built for bharat.

Right time for India to place follow on orders as this deal along will further reduce the price of those jets

In fact wrong time. Dumb Indians keep repeating mistakes and keep supporting their dumb leader.

Modi messed up the fist Rafale deal by dragging the negotiations to get a cut for Ambanis and in the process delayed the timeline by at least 5 years as Egypt and Qatar placed their orders before India did.

Now the same story repeats. If India places a follow on order, it will have to wait until 2030 by when Rafales would be obsolete.
they can't reduce price for bharat due to kickbacks required. France is not going to pay those from out of its own pocket. or like modi the teli woud say price is not doubled because of corruption but due to them being super special custom built for bharat.

There is a good chance that India as Customer will be blacklisted by France due to corruption done by Modi in the earlier Rafale deal.

Sir, you are reading too much into my statement, and going to extreme conclusions.

UAE, has positioned itself as a neutral financial hub, and would like to maintain a degree of independence, via diplomatic and military means.

As to "better than Rafale", they are invested in Su-75 for a reason....?
They are planning to eventually replace their Mirage fleet with the Rafales

They are planning to eventually replace their Mirage fleet with the Rafales
1638542063900.png

"Eventually Replace" = In your opinion is ............yrs?

Well they are not technically as capable as PAF to fly them for 50yrs .

*poor mans joke*

Indonesia will also likely to fly their F 16 until 2040, we are upgrading and refurbishing them currently. We also will likely fly our Hawk 100/200 until 2035-2040 since we are about to start the refurbishing, overhauling, and upgrading our Hawk fleets (32 planes) that could take about 5-7 years to finish.

Not to mention Malaysia which is even delaying their MRCA acquisition program until 2028 and only ordering LCA for 16 planes that currently is still under process. Malaysia also has stated to fly their Su 30 MKI and F 18 Hornet until 2040.

There is a good chance that India as Customer will be blacklisted by France due to corruption done by Modi in the earlier Rafale deal.
you are weird like that halfmoon of whose 2018 period is reminiscent of the new member @Kingdom come's behavior !

French in-fact help foreign customers hide corruption, they are experts in this field. the only corruption they do not tolerate is within France itself among its own citizenry.

Last edited by a moderator:
UAE Air Force is already quite decent, I dont know why they want to spend huge money to buy 80 Rafales. Better spending the money for something more productive. They should start ordering new fighter in 2032 instead of now, to replace their Mirage 2000 with 5 generation fighters.

It seems that UAE top brass don't agree with you.
The Mirage 2000 fleet is now quite old. Don't forget that the first delivery will not occur before 2027....

So no progress on US F35s ? Probably a move to piss off Americans by shaking hands with disgruntled Frenchs after Australian submarine snub.
It will be interesting to see how many F35 will be ordered.
With F16 / M2000 the lead was taken by USA (in Qty). Not sure it will be the same in the future...
The fact that UAE was free to use its M2000 in Lybia 2011, and not the F16 under the uncle Sam double key is not stranger to the decision.

you are weird like that halfmoon of whose 2018 period is reminiscent of the new member @Kingdom come's behavior !

froggies in-fact help foreign customers hide corruption, they are experts in this field. the only corruption they do not tolerate is within France itself among its own citizenry.

Also what is simmilar between me and @HalfMoon?

I have already this

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom