What's new

Type 076 Amphibious Assault Ship (LHD?) News & Discussions

Design wise , if it is 60k tonnes then that will make it just a little bit smaller than the British QE , so I wouldn't be surprised if it would have the same design as the proposed CATOBAR variant of the QE, but may be somehow with just one island instead of two if that is possible.

QEC-aircraft-Carriers-CATOBAR.jpg

However if it is between 40k-50k tonnes then the best design is that of the Charles De Gaul carrier.
fr_cv_26.gif

So to any dumb@ss who thinks the Type 076 won't be able to operate MANNED AIRCRAFTS take in to account the fact that there are ships as small as the Charles De Gaul that can operate MANNED AIRCRAFTS.

Type 076 will be an LHA in the first place. So it will be less likely to see it has extended flight deck at least on the starboard side. On the port side the flight deck may be extended though. If the ship is big enough, say 60K tonnes, an angled flight deck can be added to allow taking off and landing at the same time.

Type 076 is an Amphibious Assault Ship include the well deck.

You are right indeed , I know these don't have well decks, the point of my post is to prove to any possible idiots who say the flight deck of a relatively small ship won't be able to support manned fighters that it can actually support manned fighters, heck forget about the De Gaul just look at the LHA-8 , it will have a well deck and it will still operate manned fighters, there is no reason to think that the Type 076 (which will be superior to the LHA-8) won't be able to support manned fighters.

I would really like a poll on PDF to ask people whether they believe type 076 will be able to operate manned fighters or not, just to find how many idiots do we have, so that there won't be any misunderstanding between the members.

@Deino can you make this as well as the Chinese tanks and armored vehicles sticky threads?

60,000 or more tonnes for a LHA? Then I can only see a 100,000 tonne nuclear powered aircraft carrier in the future ... looks like China is indeed pursuing a Ford style super carrier.

Perhaps the LHA will operate along side the Larger aircraft carrier. The LHA could operate UAV tankers, uav based land and sea strike platforms, AEW Uavs, ASW Helicopters, SAR helicopters, etc. while the carrier can fit and operates more fighter aircraft and fixed wing awacs.

It would be akin HMS Ocean operating alongside HMS Queen Elizabeth operating in the North Sea against the Russians in the event of hostilities where it is to be expected the Russians would field a large number of Attack Submarines out of Murmansk/Arch Angel ports of their Northern Fleet in the event they block the Artic Passage Shipping route or British Petroleum exploring for oil and gas in the North Sea

Last edited:
Nice CGs, but I agree with @obj 75A. Why did those guys think this powerful ship would operate UAVs only?
The EMALS/AAG is to circumvent using STOVL fighters. We will see manned fighters like J-35 on 076.
I don't think PLAN and the designer are as uncreative as those guys.

Actually since UAVs are IMO enough, as such I don't expect it to launch true fighters .... for this the PLAN will use the 003 carriers.

As such I have a bit the feeling, some are hyping the expectations too much ...

Let's wait and see.

Media speculate on China's possible next generation amphibious assault ship Type 076
By Liu Xuanzun Source: Global Times Published: 2020/7/24 1:08:35

eb9379ee-fe10-4965-9ba2-0c349b71b7c9.jpeg
China held a launch ceremony for its first Type 075 amphibious assault ship in Shanghai on September 25, 2019. Photo: 81.cn

A set of procurement request notices released by China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) 708 Institute recently stirred wild speculations among foreign and Chinese media and military enthusiasts about a new type of Chinese amphibious assault ship dubbed Type 076, which is purported to feature electromagnetic catapults, fixed wing aircraft and integrated electric propulsion system.

Citing procurement request notices originally posted on the Chinese military's weapon and equipment procurement website weain.mil.cn over the past few months, Forbes reported on Thursday that the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy is likely building a new type of amphibious assault ship.

According to the notices, the in-development new warship will likely feature an electromagnetic aircraft launch system, which would allow it to carry fixed wing aircraft including fighter jets and drones that don't require short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) such as the US' F-35B fighter jet, reports said.

Forbes speculated that China could develop a fighter aircraft suitable for the ship, or use smaller, stealth-capable drones.

The Chinese military has not yet announced development of a new type of amphibious assault ship.

Chinese media, including Ordnance Industry Science Technology, a Xi'an-based magazine on the national defense industry, and Shanghai-based news portal guancha.cn, also covered the speculations about the Type 076 on Thursday.

Ordnance Industry Science Technology said the warship could be equipped with electromagnetic catapults to launch fixed wing aircraft. An integrated electric propulsion system was indicated in the procurement request notices which suggest the speculated Type 076 could provide enough power to support the catapults, it said.

China has developed stealth attack drones like the GJ-11, which made its debut at the 2019 National Day military parade, and the Type 076 could be equipped similar drones, the Chinese magazine said, noting that the Type 076 could become more like a medium-sized aircraft carrier while still maintaining amphibious landing capabilities.

Military analysts reached by the Global Times said the US has developed the F-35B fighter jet and is also selling many of them to Japan, making their amphibious assault ships and landing helicopter docks de facto aircraft carriers, which would bring huge threats to China's national defense.

China does not possess a STOVL fighter jet like the F-35B, but it has mastered technologies in electromagnetic launching systems, so it makes sense for China if it uses electronic catapults to launch aircraft from amphibious assault ships as an alternative to STOVL aircraft to defend itself from hostile F-35B-equipped warships, analysts said.

Like China's Type 075 amphibious assault ship, the Type 076, if it exists, could be deployed in island seizing operations in the South China Sea and the island of Taiwan, analysts said, noting that it could also be used to safeguard China's overseas interests, as China now has many citizens, investments, projects and strategic assets in countries around the world.

China has launched two Type 075s in Shanghai since 2019. They are expected to carry only helicopters and amphibious landing craft and vehicles, but no fixed wing aircraft.

Media speculate on China's possible next generation amphibious assault ship Type 076
By Liu Xuanzun Source: Global Times Published: 2020/7/24 1:08:35

eb9379ee-fe10-4965-9ba2-0c349b71b7c9.jpeg
China held a launch ceremony for its first Type 075 amphibious assault ship in Shanghai on September 25, 2019. Photo: 81.cn

A set of procurement request notices released by China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) 708 Institute recently stirred wild speculations among foreign and Chinese media and military enthusiasts about a new type of Chinese amphibious assault ship dubbed Type 076, which is purported to feature electromagnetic catapults, fixed wing aircraft and integrated electric propulsion system.

Citing procurement request notices originally posted on the Chinese military's weapon and equipment procurement website weain.mil.cn over the past few months, Forbes reported on Thursday that the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy is likely building a new type of amphibious assault ship.

According to the notices, the in-development new warship will likely feature an electromagnetic aircraft launch system, which would allow it to carry fixed wing aircraft including fighter jets and drones that don't require short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) such as the US' F-35B fighter jet, reports said.

Forbes speculated that China could develop a fighter aircraft suitable for the ship, or use smaller, stealth-capable drones.

The Chinese military has not yet announced development of a new type of amphibious assault ship.

Chinese media, including Ordnance Industry Science Technology, a Xi'an-based magazine on the national defense industry, and Shanghai-based news portal guancha.cn, also covered the speculations about the Type 076 on Thursday.

Ordnance Industry Science Technology said the warship could be equipped with electromagnetic catapults to launch fixed wing aircraft. An integrated electric propulsion system was indicated in the procurement request notices which suggest the speculated Type 076 could provide enough power to support the catapults, it said.

China has developed stealth attack drones like the GJ-11, which made its debut at the 2019 National Day military parade, and the Type 076 could be equipped similar drones, the Chinese magazine said, noting that the Type 076 could become more like a medium-sized aircraft carrier while still maintaining amphibious landing capabilities.

Military analysts reached by the Global Times said the US has developed the F-35B fighter jet and is also selling many of them to Japan, making their amphibious assault ships and landing helicopter docks de facto aircraft carriers, which would bring huge threats to China's national defense.

China does not possess a STOVL fighter jet like the F-35B, but it has mastered technologies in electromagnetic launching systems, so it makes sense for China if it uses electronic catapults to launch aircraft from amphibious assault ships as an alternative to STOVL aircraft to defend itself from hostile F-35B-equipped warships, analysts said.

Like China's Type 075 amphibious assault ship, the Type 076, if it exists, could be deployed in island seizing operations in the South China Sea and the island of Taiwan, analysts said, noting that it could also be used to safeguard China's overseas interests, as China now has many citizens, investments, projects and strategic assets in countries around the world.

China has launched two Type 075s in Shanghai since 2019. They are expected to carry only helicopters and amphibious landing craft and vehicles, but no fixed wing aircraft.

So :
Chinese Official Media stated their Type 076 LHA will have Fighter jets onboard.

Meanwhile,
Some members make rumour this Type 076 LHA will be pure an UCAV Carrier.

Seeing condition like this, I will place my bet on Fighter jets onboard Type 076 LHA @obj 705A
Unless, there is further info from reliable insider like POP3 and Yankeesama

Last edited:
So :
Chinese Official Media stated their Type 076 LHA will have Fighter jets onboard.

Meanwhile,

Seeing condition like this, I will place my bet on Fighter jets onboard Type 076 LHA @obj 705A
I'm surprised that most people in the poll thinks that the 076 will not carry manned fighters ... that is indeed weird.

So :

Meanwhile,

I didn't see any news at all. I don't think it makes any sense.

First, you should not take the Global Times as the official media.

Second, I don't see any intention of carrying a regular fighter jet.

Having ability and using ability mean two things.

I am informed that the Chinese military thinks the US F22, F35 are all wrong ideas.China will not develop STOVL.
China believes in not pursuing too comprehensive a capability on one piece of equipment.This only leads to cost increases and performance compromises.

So the main role of 076 is still LHA,not a UCAV carrier, or a hybrid carrier.The ejection UCAV is intended only to replace some of the attack helicopter and reconnaissance functions.
Provide information and air support to the landing forces.If there is a serious air threat, it must be accompanied by aircraft carriers.

In the meantime, I suspect that in the future, air combat UCAVs could be added, combined with the recently leaked plans for a 6GEN fighter.

Back
Top Bottom