What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

D4 and D5 will be soon launched simultaneously.

In this year, China will likely commission C5/C6 and D1/D2.

bM9LzmV.jpg
I was intrigued by this picture.....as i presume its a new picture from JN shipyard?

We all knew from previous photos that the 4th 052D was being constructed in the right hand hall at JN........and there were modules for the 5th 052D outside.......but in previous photos the left-hand shed had shown contruction of commercial vessels.

So, if your photo is very new..........then yes it does look like now that the modules for the 5th 052D are in the left hand shed.

Does anyone think this is correct?

I was intrigued by this picture.....as i presume its a new picture from JN shipyard?

We all knew from previous photos that the 4th 052D was being constructed in the right hand hall at JN........and there were modules for the 5th 052D outside.......but in previous photos the left-hand shed had shown contruction of commercial vessels.

So, if your photo is very new..........then yes it does look like now that the modules for the 5th 052D are in the left hand shed.

Does anyone think this is correct?

There are too many DDGs accumulated in the pool, that's why the launch date of the D4 was delayed.

So now the launch date of D4 and D5 will be very close after the full depart of C5 and C6.

Even Type 057 in the plan, why China launches so many kinds ? Is China still not satisfy with current designs ?

Even Type 057 in the plan, why China launches so many kinds ? Is China still not satisfy with current designs ?

No one would ever satisfy with its available weapons, that's why people will keep modernizing its military with infinity.

Not any related to any bad design, or bad quality build of previous design ?

Nope, we will always pursue the even more advanced weapons.

Why the USN wants the Gerald Ford class to replace the Nimitz class? Is the Nimitz class bad? Nope, they are just pursuing the even better supercarrier.

Nope, we will always pursue the even more advanced weapons.

Why the USN wants the Gerald Ford class to replace the Nimitz class? Is the Nimitz class bad? Nope, they are just pursuing the even better supercarrier.

Great !!!

But I heard that, the lifetime of Chinese warships quite short and several retired very soon ... for this or that reason.
If your old warship reach the state of art like Nimitz, then your next design should be Gerald Ford ...

Great !!!

But I heard that, the lifetime of Chinese warships quite short and several retired very soon ... for this or that reason.
If your old warship reach the state of art like Nimitz, then your next design should be Gerald Ford ...
I don't know where u hear that news, it's not truth. We can say the PLAN's warships r young, coz 80% warships like 052B/C/D DDGs and 054A FFGs built since 2000, most just serving for 10 years in the Navy.

Some old warship made by Chinese like 051 DDGs and 053 FFG also serving in PLAN now, they r built in 1990s near 20 years ago. Most 053 FFGs started to retired from PLAN replaced by 054A or 052C/D ,some of old 053 FFGs were updated and sold to foreign Navy like Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, some Africa nations, they still r main warship in those small Navy.

The rumor about "made in China" == inferior quality still confuse ur brain, that's very interesting ~! If u can carefully research the warship in Southeast Asia Navy, u will find many Chinese made warships(20 years old, updated 053 FFGs) serving in foreign Navy.

Right now PLAN's warships can not compared with American Nimitz, but we didn't stop to upgrate our current warship desgin. The example r PLAN's 052C DDG ==> 052D DDG, 053 FFG ==> 056 corvette, 054A FFG ==> 057 or 054B FFG (2014 building), and mysterious 055 DDG. Chinese shipbuilding industry & PLAN going forward !

Last edited:
Which one is competent to Japan Akizuki ?
None, it depend on 2014 China building 057(054B) new designed FFG. I think new building 057 will be as same function as Japan Akizuki, China 057 will install small AESA. PLAN's 054A FFG is old design, it's time to push out new small AESA FFG.

Actually, China has not too much of sea area.
Too many warships incl. submarines needed or not ?

So 057 is the rival of Akizuki, which would be for Atago class ?

Actually, China has not too much of sea area.
Too many warships incl. submarines needed or not ?
1. China is a western Pacific country, our east border close to the Pacific.
2. Most oil supply for China by sea-ship, protect the safety of energy line is PLAN's duty.

So 057 is the rival of Akizuki, which would be for Atago class ?
I think, it will be ...
052C vs Kongō
052D vs Atago
057 vs Akizuki

Currently 4x 052C DDGs(170,171,150,152) and 16x 054A FFGs serving in PLAN, another 4x 052C + 8x 052D have been building in shipyards, many 054A FFGs also building, maybe 2014 will start to build 057 FFG. Right now whole Chinese shipyards r building different warships.

Last edited:
Thanks. But Am I true to realize the Chinese warships only about three-fourth in tonnage compares to relative Japanese warships ?

Thanks. But Am I true to realize the Chinese warships only about three-fourth in tonnage compares to relative Japanese warships ?
052C and 052D install VLS units( 48x VLS and 64x VLS) less than Japan's Kongō and Atago (96x VLS), but their cost half cheaper than Japan DDG. PLAN's DDG smaller than them, but we will build more.

Back
Top Bottom