What's new

Turkish Space Programs

New Projects: Gokturk-3 Space-borne SAR and SAR/GMTI Pod

SDT is presenting her SAR signal processing, imagery and exploitation capabilities to meet the Turkish Armed Forces’ (TAF’s) reconnaissance and surveillance needs for different platforms varying from fighter aircrafts to the first national SAR Satellite Program: Gokturk-3. Automatic target recognition, change detection and other SAR image analysis and exploitation services to maximize the system utility has been already planned for prospective SAR systems. SDT is confident with her background and expertise in SAR technologies to undertake challenging tasks like development of Coherent Change Detection (CCD), Interferometry and its very specialized application; Subsidence Mapping and Ground Deformation Analysis (GDA). While responding to TAF’s reconnaisance, surveillance and intelligence needs by developing and implementing such cutting edge technologies nationally for the first time, SDT is willing to assist and leverage SAR Systems usage in the field of civil applications as well.

Automatic Target Detection and Recognition on Satellite SAR Images
Another image analysis product that SDT has recently finalized is a software system that has routines to recognize civil and military targets defined by NATO STANAGs. The implementation activities have been initiated by Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) as an R&D project known as HASAT that is built for making value added intelligence analysis through processing of high resolution satellite images. SDT has developed the system with additional features (like parallel processing) to be able to support future requirements of the national satellite systems especially GÖKTÜRK 3. The project is currently at the verification test phase. In this phase, system’s utilization conditions and operating principles are being assessed and interactive studies with the users are being conducted for providing maximum utilization to the users.

Satellite Ground Segment Solutions and Capabilities of SDT
Airborne and space based surveillance and reconnaissance are essential for successful military missions. Such capabilities are critical for troop protection, situational awareness, mission planning, damage assessment, and others. Space based platforms provide capability of periodic surveillance for large areas without any geographical limitations with different kind of information. SDT has started her activities regarding the Satellite Ground Segment with GOKTURK-1 military surveillance project. SDT is responsible to develop User Services Subsystem of the GOKTURK Ground Segment in scope of the GOKTURK-1 Program as a sub-contractor of the ASELSAN since 2010. SDT has also involved the GOKTURK-3 (SAR Satellite) Program which has started at the end of 2013, as s sub-contractor of the ASELSAN. Consequently; SDT is responsible to develop User Services Subsystem of the GOKTURK Ground Station under Turkish Air Force Command. GOKTURK Ground Station will serve to all of the GOKTURK satellites (GOKTURK-1, GOKTURK-2 and GOKTURK-3). On 5th of December, 2016; GOKTURK-1 was lunched and SDT software solutions have since been used in real life applications with high success and availability. SDT is improving her capabilities regarding Ground Station in order to support also airborne platforms after the experience on the GOKTURK-1 Project. With this target; SDT has started to develop multi-mission ground segment solution for both space and airborne platforms. SDT has been designing and developing SDT Enterprise Service Infrastructure (SenseI) as a core service framework technology. Receiving data from producers/sources of satellite/UAV payloads are processed with ingestion steps which are aligned with OGC and INSPIRE metadata standard. Moreover, image process adaptors are managed with ESA Generic IPF. SenseI is a middleware SDT solution, applicable in horizontal and vertical scalable, and also “Open Archival Information System (OAIS)” is used for archiving process. SenseI consists of pluggable workflows, business logic modules, and data process and data package elements. SenseI communicates with man machine interface (MMI), catalogue, archive and dissemination, and image exploitation services under single sign on, authentication and authorization policies. SDT developed a modular, end-to-end, comprehensive solution for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) requirements, from imagery and video acquisition to Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT) dissemination. Within this scope; SDT has provided complete solution proposals to different countries according to their intelligence needs.

Whats the status of Satellite launch vehicle?

Whats the status of Satellite launch vehicle?

Some people talking about transferring technology from Ukraine or SK !

It's true ... Turkey is a part of NATO ... But it's also a Muslim majority nation so western countries won't be happy with transferring critical technologies !

Same goes for Iran ... They are not worried about ICBM or nuclear bomb !

Satellite launch capability means we can monitor them from space and it's what we need in Syria ... Which is not acceptable for USA & Israel !

When you launch your satellites with your own rockets other countries have no access to your satellites ...

Losing their monopoly in these technologies is what exactly scares them a lot!

So turkey as a country with almost zero experience in liquid fuel rockets has a very long way to go ...

From the pictures I can see 7 (Edit: 6) combustion chambers in first stage which is not efficient for a rocket in this size !

So I think it's still in conceptual stage and not finalized yet ...

I wish success for you ...

Last edited:
Will Turkey launch its SLV before 2023? I highly doubt it.

Turkish defence industrial progress has stalled in year few years. Small projects here and there are okay...

But major projects like Altay tanks, submarines, ballistic missiles, and fighter jet program etc have been stalled for years now. No significant new progress.

Hopefully Turkish industry hasn't reached its limit and ran out of steam.

Some people talking about transferring technology from Ukraine or SK !

It's true ... Turkey is a part of NATO ... But it's also a Muslim majority nation so western countries won't be happy with transferring critical technologies !

Same goes for Iran ... They are not worried about ICBM or nuclear bomb !

Satellite launch capability means we can monitor them from space and it's what we need in Syria ... Which is not acceptable for USA & Israel !

When you launch your satellites with your own rockets other countries have no access to your satellites ...

Losing their monopoly in these technologies is what exactly scares them a lot!

So turkey as a country with almost zero experience in liquid fuel rockets has a very long way to go ...

From the pictures I can see 7 combustion chambers in first stage which is not efficient for a rocket in this size !

I wish success for you ...

Does Iran have any military/spy satellites up in space similar to what Turkey has with GokTurk-2?

Can Iran take high resolution pictures of say Israeli facilities or European landscapes and camp sites etc at will?

Turkish defence industrial progress has stalled in year few years. Small projects here and there are okay...

But major projects like Altay tanks, submarines, ballistic missiles, and fighter jet program etc have been stalled for years now. No significant new progress.

Does Iran have any military/spy satellites up in space similar to what Turkey has with GokTurk-2?

Can Iran take high resolution pictures of say Israeli facilities or European landscapes and camp sites etc at will?

The progress of Turkish defence industry has some special characteristics which can be traced in the current projects, and is in preperation to jump on the next level.

Those characteristics will help to reduce time/money/development etc. in the next level, which encourages others for co-operation with Turkey in some projects of Turkey, like England that a few day ago published open general export licence for TF-X project.

As for the mullah... s/he just wants to have some leverage for their copy-past situation over tech-based products of Turkey and other countries.

The progress of Turkish defence industry has some special characteristics which can be traced in the current projects, and is in preperation to jump on the next level.

Those characteristics will help to reduce time/money/development etc. in the next level, which encourages others for co-operation with Turkey in some projects of Turkey, like England that a few day ago published open general export licence for TF-X project.

As for the mullah... s/he just wants to have some leverage of their copy-past situation over tech-based products of Turkey and other countries.

Well I hope that the so called "next phase" of Turkish defense-industrial sector starts soon and picks up pace effectively.

Waiting for it to happen since past half a decade now...I wonder why it's taking so long to begin

Well I hope that the so called "next phase" of Turkish defense-industrial sector starts soon and picks up pace effectively.

Waiting for it to happen since past half a decade now...I wonder why it's taking so long to begin

Will you please tell me the source(country/industry etc.) you compare it with Turkey for your conclusion about Turkey/Turk defence industry?

P.S: I start to think a baiting takes place here, but wonder the sources for the claim.

If we count possible delays ... 2025-2027 !

Delays in major projects are quite normal ... When you are developing something for the first time you may face unpredictable problems !

Which is not exactly a problem ...

We don't have any operational satellite yet ... But we will have some in coming years !

As for the mullah... s/he just wants to have some leverage for their copy-past situation over tech-based products of Turkey and other countries.

:)

Did I say anything wrong about Turkey?

I won't respond to your other claims because I don't want to go off topic !

Turkish defence industry doing quite fine ... I don't know what exactly you are expecting !?

It took 15 years for United States to make F-22 operational ! Same about F-35 !

If we count possible delays ... 2025-2027 !

Delays in major projects are quite normal ... When you are developing something for the first time you may face unpredictable problems !

Which is not exactly a problem ...

We don't have any operational satellite yet ... But we will have some in coming years !

:)

Did I say anything wrong about Turkey?

I won't respond to your other claims because I don't want to go off topic !

Turkish defence industry doing quite fine ... I don't know what exactly you are expecting !?

It took 15 years for United States to make F-22 operational ! Same about F-35 !

No one in this forum know for sure how far Turkey has come with its space launch vehicle, for all we know they are testing rocket engine in undisclosed location in Turkey.

No one in this forum know for sure how far Turkey has come with its space launch vehicle, for all we know they are testing rocket engine in undisclosed location in Turkey.

Brother ... Testing a rocket engine for SLV creates a huge heat signature ! Spy satellites can easily locate the test site !

Here is Iran's engine test center in Semnan deserts :

SRTC_3.jpg

You can't hide such a thing these days !!!

From the pictures I can see 7 combustion chambers in first stage which is not efficient for a rocket in this size !

He is not a mullah and he knows what he is talking about.

But of course ! ^^

Thank you @OguzSenturk

Old link :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...dates-discussions.230540/page-45#post-9483263

Lenght (m) : 60.0
Stage 1 engines : 6 x ...

Old Link :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...dates-discussions.230540/page-44#post-9476467

Mayak-M1

Lenght (m) : 47.4
Launch mass (t) : 370
Stage 1 engines : 2 × RD-810

Mayak-M2

Lenght (m) : 61.0
Launch mass (t) : 495 / 515
Stage 1 engines : 4 × RD-810

Mayak (rocket family) - Wiki Link –

Official Link

Old link :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...dates-discussions.230540/page-43#post-9470263

KSLV-II (한국형발사체)

Lenght (m) : 47.2
Launch mass (t) : 200
Stage 1 engines : 4 x 75톤급

Official Link

Last edited:
>>>

ssc-2015-00690.jpg

But of course ! ^^

Thank you @OguzSenturk

Old link :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...dates-discussions.230540/page-45#post-9483263

Lenght (m) : 60
Stage 1 engines : 6

Old Link :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...dates-discussions.230540/page-44#post-9476467

Mayak-M1

Lenght (m) : 47.4
Launch mass (t) : 370
Stage 1 engines : 2 × RD-810

Mayak-M2

Lenght (m) : 61.0
Launch mass (t) : 495 / 515
Stage 1 engines : 4 × RD-810

Mayak (rocket family) - Wiki Link –

Official Link

Old link :

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/turk...dates-discussions.230540/page-43#post-9470263

KSLV-II (한국형발사체)

Lenght (m) : 47.5 m
Launch mass (t) : 200 t
Stage 1 engines : 4 x 75톤급

Official Link

OK ... Probably 6 combustion chambers !

PicsArt_08-06-04.52.27.jpg

But it's much smaller than your estimations !

From what I see it's probably 40m tall and 3-3.3m in diameter !

Back
Top Bottom