• Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
logo-hurriyet-daily-news.png

Prosecutors demand jail for Turkish daily Cumhuriyet columnists, executives
ISTANBUL
n_111599_1.jpg

The indictment into daily Cumhuriyet columnists and executives was completed on April 4, nearly five months after the investigation was launched, with the prosecutor seeking jail sentences for all 19 suspects.

The former editor-in-chief of the daily, Can Dündar, was named as the prime suspect in the indictment prepared by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office.

The charges directed at the suspects include “membership of an armed terrorist organization” and “helping an armed terrorist organization while not being a member of it.”

Prosecutors are seeking between 7.5 and 15 years in prison sentence for Dündar, editor-in-chief Murat Sabuncu, IPI Board Member Kadri Gürsel, Aydın Engin, Bülent Yener and Günseli Özaltay for “helping an armed terrorist organization while not being a member.”

CEO of the daily Akın Atalay, Mehmet Orhan Erinç and Önder Çelik are charged with “helping an armed terrorist organization while not being a member” and “abusing trust,” with the prosecutor demanding between 11.5 and 43 years in jail for them.

Between 9.5 and 29 years in jail is demanded for Bülent Utku, caricaturist Musa Kart, Hakan Karasinir, Mustafa Kemal Güngör and Hikmet Aslan Çetinkaya on the same charges as those directed at Atalay, Erinç and Çelik.

In addition, the prosecutor sought between 7.5 and 15 years in prison for journalist Ahmet Şık for “helping and being a member of the PKK and the DHKP/C.”

Şık and journalist Nedim Şener were jailed as part of the controversial Oda TV case in 2011. Both spent more than a year in prison while awaiting trial before the publication of Şık’s book, titled “The Imam’s Army,” which focused on the Gülen movement’s followers within the police and the judiciary at a time when the movement and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) were close. The duo was eventually freed on March 12, 2012.

Şık was again arrested on Dec. 30, 2016 over several tweets and articles for daily Cumhuriyet.

The indictment stated that daily Cumhuriyet started its publishing life upon the orders of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey, but around 2013 “it was seized” by the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization/Parallel State Structure (FETÖ/PDY), widely believed to have been behind the July 15, 2016 military coup attempt.

“Upon Can Dündar assuming his post, the daily entered another path diverting from the aims of its establishment,” the indictment read. “It became a defender and protector of [FETÖ/PDY, the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party/ Kurdistan Communities Union (PKK/KCK) and the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C)].

“By concealing the acts of terrorist organizations, Cumhuriyet far exceeded the right to make news or comments including heavy criticism, which is provided by freedom of press principles and universal law,” it added.

“Cumhuriyet started an intense perception operation, targeting the government of the Turkish Republic and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan by using asymmetrical war tactics,” it also said, claiming that the newspaper “provided a basis for illegal politics.”

According to the indictment, Cumhuriyet “tried to legitimize the acts of the PKK terrorist organization.”

“FETÖ/PDY, which used [closed] daily Taraf before, chose daily Cumhuriyet to service some information and documents,” the indictment said, referring to Cumhuriyet’s report on footage of Turkish intelligence trucks bound for Syria in early 2014.

The indictment also noted that some of the suspects “had contact with users” of the ByLock smartphone application, which came to prominence after it emerged that FETÖ used it to communicate.

The indictment has been sent to the Istanbul 27th Heavy Penal Court.

April/04/2017

Lol it's like the US. No way near it.

Why not ?
The president can make decree law, create his cabinet, be the party leader...all of thing the opposition critized like dictatorship yet done by the US.
Of course there some difference, like the constitution judge mandat which is fore life in US and only 4 years in Turkey's new constituion...but otherwise they are very similar.

I decided to don't vote because Erdogan don't deserve to be winning anymore, but if you can convince me this constituion is more like dictorship than US's constituion go ahead and I will vote NO.

Last edited:
Why not ?
The president can make decree law, create his cabinet, be the party leader...all of thing the opposition critized like dictatorship yet done by the US.
Of course there some difference, like the constitution judge mandat which is fore life in US and only 4 years in Turkey's new constituion...but otherwise they are very similar.

I decided to don't vote because Erdogan don't deserve to be winning anymore, but if you can convince me this constituion is more like dictorship than US's constituion go ahead and I will vote NO.

Madde 5: Bakanlar ve Bakanlar Kurulunu denetleme yetkisi cumhurbaşkanına verilecek.

Madde 6: Türkiye Büyük Millet Meclisi'nin bilgi edinme ve denetim yollarından gensoru kaldırılacak.

Madde 9: Cumhurbaşkanı, salt çoğunluk ile soruşturmaya tabi tutulacak, 400 milletvekili ile yargılanacak.

Meclis'in cumhurbaşkanına bu kadar bağlı olduğu bir sistemde, hangi milletvekili parti başkanını mahkemeye gönderecek? Gönderdi diyelim, bu adamı kendi atadığı yargıçlar nasıl tarafıszca yargılayacak? HAYIR.

Madde 14: HSYK yapısında değişiklik.

Hakim Savcılar Kurulu'nun 15 üyesinden 6'sını cumhurbaşkanı sıfatıyla, 6'sını parti başkanı olarak tek kişi atayacak. Eğer bir mucize olur da 400 milletvekili cumhurbaşkanı yargılansın derse, kendi atadığı adamlar cumhurbaşkanını suçlu bulur mu? HAYIR.

Do I need to write more? Gensorunun bile kaldirilmasi basli basina rezalet. Ne yani hic kimse sorgulayamayacak adamin yaptiklarini?? This is the direct evidence of dictatorship.

I just like to know the answers and reasons of Turkish members to whether vote an "Evet" or "Hayir" to the upcoming referendum of 16th April - 2017.

My guess is, majority in PDF/TDF will be a "Hayir" due to the members in Turkish section mostly being "leftists" or so called Kemalists. But that's my guess, any surprise can occur.

I myself will vote Evet, because I believe the new Turkish constitution (Anayasa) is much more dynamic and centralized, that will create a more stable political structure and faster economical growth. I also believe the current constitution is too old and has many obstacles, and disfavors to Turkish development, prone to coup and coalition governance - and neither has created any benefit but destruction and suffocation to Turkey so far.

And I'd also like to hear from you guys, what you think the referendum polls will become, I'd like to see who gets closest,
my guess is 59% Evet and 41% Hayir.

As stated I want three things from Turkish members:

1. Vote, "Evet" or "Hayir"
2. Tell your reason why "Evet" or "Hayir"
3. Make a guess on what the real results will become on April 16.

I hope no insults, no mud casting will occur and that people can respect each others democratic rights and votes.

_

I only want Turkish members to vote. Thank you.

Obviously no, because it would give the dictatorian Erdogan even more rights.
Thank you for your vote and thought.
Could you also make a guess on what the actual results will become?

Thanks.

No. The system is good but in its current proposed form it simply has next to no power checks and balances. This in the hands of Erdogan is a recipe for disasters. Perhaps in a time where Islamists are no longer in power, i might vote YES. But as it at stands now, its will definitly be NO for me.

The polls show that the outcome will be NO by a decent margin but knowing the political environment of Turkey i honestly believe that it will end with a YES, sadly. My guess will be 53% Evet and 47% Hayir.

Last edited:
It is an international forum,so;
You should write down the things that we will vote, so people cann see what is going on

i say no . when we are talking about constitution we must see beyond current day we must make sure power remain in the people's hand and not gather in one place if you do so u doom the country for dictatorship lets say erdogan is bests of the bests who with this power could turn turkey into heaven in 1 night but did you think about after erdogan ? take look to all the muslem countries both in central asia and middle east all of them are have 2 think in common 1 all of them are dictatorship 2 the first democratic election was their last democratic election power must divided between organs no man must have a all the power for this in my view the greatest power must be given to parliament if a party can win a lot of seat in parliament it means they have the people but in presidential election you must choose only one guy which not necessarily reflect the view of all the people of turkey (maybe only 40% at best )

upload_2017-4-5_0-8-38.png

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has called on the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) to abandon its claims over the oil-rich city of Kirkuk, stressing that ties between Ankara and Arbil could be damaged if it insists on efforts to annex the multiethnic city.

The comments came on April 4, the same day as the Kirkuk provincial council voted to hold a referendum regarding the annexation of the city by the KRG.

“I certainly find it wrong to raise a second flag next to the Iraqi national flag in Kirkuk. The owners of this flag should know better than to engage in separatism. I call on the Iraqi Kurdish Regional Government: Correct this mistake,” Erdoğan said at a rally in the Black Sea province of Zonguldak on April 4.

His reaction followed a decision taken by Kurdish members of the Kirkuk city assembly who decided to raise a KRG flag next to the national Iraqi flag over the state building in Kirkuk as part of a possible effort to annex the city to KRG territory.

“We have decided to hold the referendum in order to end the controversial territory status of Kirkuk,” council chairman Rebwar Fayq Talabani told a press conference on April 4.

The meeting was convened with 26 of its Kurdish members, as the nine Turkmen and six Arab members boycotted the meeting.

“We are sending our referendum request to the Iraqi Central Government,” Talabani said. “The people of Kirkuk are exhausted.”

The move comes at a time when a potential referendum on the independence of the KRG is being discussed, a move that Turkey regards as wrong.

Erdoğan urged the KRG to take down its flags in Kirkuk as the city belongs to Turkmens, Arabs and Kurds. “You should immediately remove your flags. Otherwise you will pay a heavy price,” he said.

“[If you do not] you will ruin good ties between Ankara and Arbil. Remove your flag immediately and continue on your path with only the Iraqi flag,” Erdoğan added.

Members of the Kirkuk Provincial Council voted on March 28 in favor of raising the KRG flag over official buildings during a meeting that was boycotted by Turkmen and Arabs.

On April 1, the Iraqi parliament in a session voted against the decision of the Kirkuk Provincial Council.
One day after, Kirkuk Gov. Najmiddin Karim refused to apply the decision by Baghdad to pull down the flag of the KRG in Kirkuk.

During his meeting with Iraqi Turkmen Front leader Ershad Salihi late April 3 in Ankara, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said Turkey would not accept any attempt to declare independence in northern Iraq and to incorporate Kirkuk into the KRG, vowing that they would continue to stand with Iraqi Turkmen groups.

Yıldırım told Salihi that attempts on the referendum will not be approved by Ankara and that Turkey would stand with its kin in Iraq, according to state-run Anadolu Agency.

Kirkuk is officially outside of the KRG’s borders but was occupied by KRG fighters during the ISIL occupation of Mosul in June 2014.

April/04/2017
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/pu...ogan.aspx?pageID=238&nID=111598&NewsCatID=352

I've already opened a thread in the Mid East section. Maybe we could merge these two threads including the current poll?

1. I've changed my mind, I'm voting yes.
2. Why? Because I hate Die Grünen + Die Linke and especially Claudia Roth + Sarah Wagenknecht. Both are campaigning against YES and supporting openly PKK at the same time.
3. 53% Yes but everything is possible. İ wouldn't be surprised if 60% are voting in favor/against the proposed reforms.

Do I need to write more? Gensorunun bile kaldirilmasi basli basina rezalet. Ne yani hic kimse sorgulayamayacak adamin yaptiklarini?? This is the direct evidence of dictatorship.

Do you think US's president can be kick out more easily than Turkish's president ?
In US, your need 3 condition for this : the Judiacary, the parlement (1/2) and finaly the Senat (2/3) to kick out the president.

The problem with Turkey is not the the text, but the mentality to whaetevers to respect it or not. The mentality of the leaders which hook themself to their power whatewers they are AKP, CHP, of MHP.

I see your video about Cem Toker, and will I don't agree with everything (many difference come form Turkey don't have a Senat), I will finally vote NO for 2 reason :
-They made a whole constitution but they didn't think to lower the threshold
-A party leader president is a problem if he is the one selecting the party's deputy.

Bir daha denesinler.

I've already opened a thread in the Mid East section. Maybe we could merge these two threads including the current poll?

1. I've changed my mind, I'm voting yes.
2. Why? Because I hate Die Grünen + Die Linke and especially Claudia Roth + Sarah Wagenknecht. Both are campaigning against YES and supporting openly PKK at the same time.
3. 53% Yes but everything is possible. İ wouldn't be surprised if 60% are voting in favor/against the proposed reforms.
They could be merged, but here I made it clear that only Türks should and must vote. And not foreigners. Because I like to see the opinions and reasons of Turkish members - because it's only our concern.
And I made a poll here, you didn't in your thread.

Back
Top Bottom