What's new

Turkish Peace Operations in Syria (Operation Olive Branch) Updates & Discussions

This is something I proposed back in 2014 to some of the revolutionary leaders. Had they listened earlier, their war would have been much easier. Well, at least now they are listening.
I disagree we don't need to annex anything. That kind of behavior will just cause shitload of problems. Commercial and Humanitarian interest should be the only viable solution.

Atatürk already ditched Syria once, there is a reason for that.

I disagree we don't need to annex anything. That kind of behavior will just cause shitload of problems. Commercial and Humanitarian interest should be the only viable solution.

Atatürk already ditched Syria once, there is a reason for that.

You misunderstand. I simply proposed if they ditch the Syrian currency for Turkish, the former would collapse and reduce Syria's ability to finance its war.

You misunderstand. I simply proposed if they ditch the Syrian currency for Turkish, the former would collapse and reduce Syria's ability to finance its war.
My bad, I mentioned the commercial part mainly because of the currency part. Circulating TL as common currency will definitely support TL, even in a warthorn country. But we need to have strict currency control and better control over the economy.

It will also have limited positive impact on TL value...
I think TR government shouldn’t exclude the possibility of distributing liras to pkk-held areas-yeah I know a bit controversial but in the medium-to long term future it will give another strategic tool for Turkey besides the water card for controlling NE Syria
Once you control the economy and the water in an area that is dominated by a minority you can cause/instigate civil war between the discriminated majority(arabs) and the privileged minority(kurds)
Then Turkey can takeover NE Syria with minimal losses

Except for the subcontractors of the baath party or some organizations equipped with various privileges and working in cooperation with the regime; the ongoing hyper inflation and the inevitable devaluation have led the Syrian people to an economically unsustainable state. There is also an awful lot of fake dollars on the market. Accesses to USD/Euro is already limited. Therefore, it was inevitable for market prices to be indexed to TL in TAF protected areas, which is the second most easily accessible currency. The use of TL in the Cerablus region has already been widespread for years, thanks to PTT bank.

I think TR government shouldn’t exclude the possibility of distributing liras to pkk-held areas-yeah I know a bit controversial but in the medium-to long term future it will give another strategic tool for Turkey besides the water card for controlling NE Syria
Once you control the economy and the water in an area that is dominated by a minority you can cause/instigate civil war between the discriminated majority(arabs) and the privileged minority(kurds)
Then Turkey can takeover NE Syria with minimal losses

Precisely. What Turkey should be aiming for in the long-term is its own economic union. Ultimately perhaps this union would involve:

1. Turkey
2. Pakistan
3. Azerbaijan
4. Idlib
5. Other Syrian pockets under Turkish protection (new quasi states can be created)
6. Libya
7. Turkish Cyprus
8. Tunisia
9. Qatar
10. Ukraine
11. Georgia

In the longer term, Turkey should cut out new territories under its control in Iraq and Syria, and have Syrian refugees moving in and changing the demographics where needed.

Let's call this "Armchair Union" AU.

Everyone on twitter speaks of an eminent Assadist attack on idlib, could it be true ? do u think he will attack Idlib again ? if he did, blood will be to the knees !!

What do you think, of course, they will. They won't ever stop unless they get a serious beating there. This will only stop if Turkey makes a bold move and actually pushes Assad a little, that could be a wake-up call.

How would invading Idlib save his currency ? the northern province has no strategic value for his regime nor for Russia nor Iran, so why doesn't he just leave them at peace ? doesn't he know how many Turkish convoys entered Idlib already ? is he going suicidal ? Does Iran want to win Idlib and use it as a bargain card to soften the US sanctions ? but even then, how ?! Or Does Russia want to divert Turkish focus from Libya ? what about the ceasefire Putin/Erdogan agreed upon ? too many Questions there, let hope Turkey can hold him off without military confrontation.

How would invading Idlib save his currency ? the northern province has no strategic value for his regime nor for Russia nor Iran, so why doesn't he just leave them at peace ? doesn't he know how many Turkish convoys entered Idlib already ? is he going suicidal ? Does Iran want to win Idlib and use it as a bargain card to soften the US sanctions ? but even then, how ?! Or Does Russia want to divert Turkish focus from Libya ? what about the ceasefire Putin/Erdogan agreed upon ? too many Questions there, let hope Turkey can hold him off without military confrontation.

Lately rebels been going on offensive in Idlib. This gives Assad the carte blanche to go after Idlib.

I expect TSK to enforce security even against rogue elements. No fucking way we'll have or should allow rogue elements to use the security we've established in Idlib to be used as safe grounds for escalating or breaching ceasefire.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom