What's new

Turkish Economy - News & Updates

What is the driving force behind Turkish Economic problem?

• The on going Trump attack on Turkish Economy

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • Jewish Agenda to weaken adjacent countries to Israel

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • Internal Turkish economic problems

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Falling Exports for Turkey

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Loss of Tourism income for Turkey

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • External Loans or Debt impacting Economy

Votes: 25 17.1%

• Total voters
Easy for you to talk from Holland. Gas price passed 5 TL a few days ago. Most of my coworkers stopped to use their cars for coming work.

İ thought İ explained this to you before Sinan. Gasoline prices are also 5 tl in the Netherlands.
Apart from that İ also pay around 180 euro's a month for car tax and insurance.
Even if İ wouldn't use my car, i'll have to pay 16 tl (6 euro ) everyday for just keeping my car.
Not to mention the enormous yearly service prices.

Turks in Turkey should really stop thinking that we live in some kind of paradise where money grows on trees and food falls in to our mouth from the sky.

Türkiye'den yeni gelen vatandaşlarımız var, Avrupa cennet diye düşüncelere kapılıp geliyorlar. Yarısı götüne topuklarını vura vura geri kaçıyor.(will delete).

I red somethink like 30% of GDP. That's crazy! You need a better tax-system and supervisory body.
it's beyond crazy mate, you can pull your truck near one of the most crowded streets of istanbul and sell whatever's in your cache, nobody asks questions. (well, I must exclude some high-profile avenues such as İstiklal, but still...) The restourant you eat at doesn't give you a bill unless you ask :) this goes for most small shops, if small time businesses in such can do this, imagine the tax frauds big companies are making.

We need a strict tax policy if we want lower taxes but we also need to reduce government spendings. There are thousands of luxury cars assigned to government employees, mid-to-high level bureucrats that models renewed each year. Fvcking police are cruising around with their mercedes B series hatchbacks around and really pissing me off...

@olcayto, that was very touching... really it's tragic how difficult it must be to pay those taxes in a country that has barely... 50.000 dollars GDP per capita... oh boy

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do deb, two things are to consider:

1 For what do I use it?
2 Can I pay it back?

For example: Dept to buy a car, with no cahnce for pay off, is a bad decision. Dept for buy a power plant is a good decision. It depends for which one use the money, too.

PRIVATE debts dosnt bound any government if govt. is not guarantor for a private debt. The most critic one is PUBLIC DEBT. In financial global crisis of 2008 private investment co. of US Lehman Brothers had bunkrupt. About 400 billions-$ of Arabs and Rusky investors money gone. US government didnt compensate even 5 cent-$ for any one.

As i said, average ratio of public debt to GDP in EU about 80%. According to criterion of OECD upper limit must be 60%.
Turkey public debts to GDP is arround 37% and it is planned to be 35% for next year.
Turkeys budget balance and financial system is ruled under one of most tightening control of supervisory system of the world since we had suffered many times from financial crisis in the past. That is why there is a very less or zero budget deficit every year.

it's beyond crazy mate, you can pull your truck near one of the most crowded streets of istanbul and sell whatever's in your cache, nobody asks questions. (well, I must exclude some high-profile avenues such as İstiklal, but still...) The restourant you eat at doesn't give you a bill unless you ask :) this goes for most small shops, if small time businesses in such can do this, imagine the tax frauds big companies are making.

We need a strict tax policy if we want lower taxes but we also need to reduce government spendings. There are thousands of luxury cars assigned to government employees, mid-to-high level bureucrats that models renewed each year. Fvcking police are cruising around with their mercedes B series hatchbacks around and really pissing me off...

@olcayto, that was very touching... really it's tragic how difficult it must be to pay those taxes in a country that has barely... 50.000 dollars GDP per capita... oh boy

Mate,

Your coming up with a conclusion, without having any experience in the matter itself or putting any effort in examining the matter.
The fact that the gdp per capita is higher is enough to come to a conclusion, which in my opinion is a little short minded.
Purchasing power is 2,35 times higher in the Netherlands than Turkey.

İ'm not saying that everything is equal in Turkey or that Turkey has a better economic standard. The fact remains that owning a car is just as expensive if not more than Turkey even if you take the purchasing power of the two nations in consideration.
The cost of a mid sized class car in the Netherlands is about 20000 Turkish lira every year.

About the tax fraud, yes people do tax fraud not just small business, but also big firms do the same.
İ have seen with my own eyes, prominent rich guys making use of 'naylon fatura' worth more then 1 million tl. İt's quiet a shame that things like this are still possible.

In western Europe,a normal job will make you exist(not live,just exist).
You can buy a house,a car but the bank owns evrything for 30 years.
Only a business owner earning at least a 3000 euro netto monthly or a paycheck of the same amount for hired personal will make a decent living.

About the tax fraud, yes people do tax fraud not just small business, but also big firms do the same.
İ have seen with my own eyes, prominent rich guys making use of 'naylon fatura' worth more then 1 million tl. İt's quiet a shame that things like this are still possible.
the economical growth doesn't mean squat unless the unaccounted economy has been dealt with. This is actually a much bigger problem than the current account deficit. This is why we're paying the bullcrap ÖTV and this is how we are indirectly being robbed everyday.

Istanbul named as Europe’s ‘Best Tourism City’

Turkey’s Istanbul, a bustling megapolis with a history dating back thousands of years, has been voted Europe’s ‘Best Tourism City’ in 2013 by the Travel + Leisure Magazine. The city ranked second in the global list, “Best City in the World” category, being second only to Thailand’s Bangkok.

The magazine, a monthly publication by American Express Publishing, based its findings on reader votes, judging the contending cities by their historic and cultural sites, artistic attractions as well as food, shopping and overall value.

Istanbul bested Paris, Rome, London, Barcelona and other prominent cities of the world in both categories, building on its already strong reputation as a center of history and culture.

The Travel + Leisure Magazine award came after MasterCard’s annual top 20 Global Destination Cities Index where Istanbul is listed as the 6th most popular destination by international visitor arrivals.

Turkey welcomed 14.5 million foreign visitors in the first half of 2013, up 14 percent over a year earlier. Istanbul alone accounted for 4.9 million of the total in the said period, 16 percent more visitors than that of January-June of 2012.

Turkey expects to welcome 33 million foreign visitors this year, aiming to enter the top 5 of global tourist destinations.

This one actually deserves a thread...Thats a big news

@T-123456 @olcayto

I want to ask something. How much does an assistant professor get paid in average in NL?

@T-123456 @olcayto

I want to ask something. How much does an assistant professor get paid in average in NL?

İf you'll work as a government employee it will variate between 3100 and 4850 euro's gross, depending on experience and years of service.

İn terms of net salary you will make between 2200 and 3100 euro's .

İf you'll work as a government employee it will variate between 3100 and 4850 euro's gross, depending on experience and years of service.

İn terms of net salary you will make between 2200 and 3100 euro's .

Isnt that a bit too little, i mean its barely enough to pay your bills in an western european country?

Isnt that a bit too little, i mean its barely enough to pay your bills in an western european country?

Government employee's never earned that much in the Netherlands. The figures were for a university teacher.
İf you take a high school teacher as a example his net salary varies between 1750 and 3000 euro.
Bear in mind that to achieve 3000 euro salary you'll have to have all your graduates and certificates and have at least a service of 30 years.

@T-123456 @olcayto

Thank you both for your answer. The field is Environmental Science. I asked because one of our PhD students applied a PostDoc position in the NL and the salary they offer was range from a minimum of €2.977,- gross per month (salary scale 10.5) up to a maximum of €4.374,- gross per month (salary scale 11) based on a full time employment. As benefits the university offered were:
• remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
• discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance);
• 't Olifantje provides professional childcare on the campus.

So it seems to me the salary is good and I thought a faculty can get paid then much more than this. But it seems there is not much more differences.

He/she should work in Turkey,im sure he/she will get better payment there compared to to living standarts and benefits.

Back
Top Bottom