What's new

Turkish deal with Pakistan

cabatli_53

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Local defense contractor Aselsan has long been a strategic partner of Islamabad for the production of army field radios at a military facility in Pakistan.

Aselsan will also provide the Pakistani navy with four gyro-stabilized 25 millimeter guns under a deal signed almost a month ago.

Meanwhile, local contractor Havelsan sold Pakistan a $28 million tactical simulated range Electronic Warfare (EW) system to deter surface-to-air threats and for use in electronic warfare. Turkey and Pakistan earlier agreed to cooperate in research and development on a broad range of defense projects, including the joint production of cluster bombs. There have been ongoing talks on the progress of cooperation in various areas.

Some of the areas identified as potential fields for cooperation in defense, research, technology and production include:

Nuclear, biological and chemical detection, protection and decontamination equipment produced in Turkey

81 millimeter mortar ammunition

Production of cluster bombs with 300 to 400 bomblets each for different missions

Production of precision-guided munitions

Detection systems for use against improvised explosive devices

Precision-guided bomblets for conventional munitions

Cooperation in the sale and production of 122 millimeter short-range and long-range multiple rocket launcher ammunition. Turkey's Roketsan and the Turkish Mechanical and Chemical Industry Corporation (MKEK) are proposing sales and joint production with Pakistan.

08 August 2008, Friday
LALE SARIİBRAHİMOĞLU ANKARA

Turkey to upgrade Pakistani F-16s as US sanctions ease

This is excellent news for Pakistan. There is much both countries can share with each other.

One development I'd like to see is Turkey helping Pakistans armoured corps by offering assistance to convert old M48A5 MBTs into either AEV or ARRV like Turkey has done.

As far as I know Pakistan does not have a dedicated AEV.

Cluster Bombs have been banned Internationally. So we will need another weapon to collaborate on, say aaaa an Air Defence Missile System, Radars, and things we currently rely on US or other foreign countries.:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Turkish pakistani F-16 deal.
Pakistani and US sources told Today’s Zaman that around 36 Pakistani Block 15 (oldest version) F-16 A/Bs will be upgraded by the Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAÝ). he Pakistani F-16s will receive a mid-life upgrade that primarily involves replacement of avionics and structural modifications bringing them close to Block 40 standards.

Under the deal, two or three Pakistani F-16s are expected to be upgraded at the TAI facilities, while the remaining F-16s will be upgraded in Pakistan, either at the Sargodhi F-16 base in Punjab or in Kamra, around 50 kilometers outside of Islabamad, at the Pac-Kamra aircraft factory.
___

So will TAI upgrade our F-16s in pakistan? and what about other 14 f-16, will they be upgraded in US..

Only 36 F-16s?

We have a total of 46 in command. 2 of the F-16s are being MLU in the USA. What about the rest of the F-16s?

Hold on .....this makes no sense at all..........They have enough MLU packs for all aircraft to bring them to BLK 50 standard. So why would they get them upgraded in Turkey to BLK 40 standard.

Cluster Bombs have been banned Internationally. So we will need another weapon to collaborate on, say aaaa an Air Defence Missile System, Radars, and things we currently rely on US or other foreign countries.:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

They have been banned by those who have signed up for it. Pakistan and many other countries have not. The ban is only voluntary. There is no legal restriction behind developing new ones or maintaining existing inventories.

As to Key's and Webby's point, the numbers and details are incorrect. The avionics package will bring the A/Bs to blk 52 standard. Also the number to be upgraded would be for around 44 (32 original + 12 surplus EDA) in hand, plus any others that PAF may get from the Americans. The good thing about the upgrade is that most of these would be MLU'd at Kamra.

When the very first MLU happened for the EPAFs (European Partner Air Forces), the goal was to get these aircraft up to blk 40 standard in use with the USAF then. Obviously the avionics, weapons now have all gone through changes/upgrades so the information in the article is based on old stuff. Don't let that confuse you. Pakistani F-16s will have the same avionics and weapons capability as the new blk 52s.

Last edited:
I think the confusion has arisen because 2 of PAFs original f16s were sent to USA for MLU. In addition, I thnk of the 14 2 were held back in USA for upgrades and MLU. They will rejoin the fleet in 2011. I am sure Blain will confirm this.
regards
Araz

Turkish pakistani F-16 deal.
Pakistani and US sources told Today’s Zaman that around 36 Pakistani Block 15 (oldest version) F-16 A/Bs will be upgraded by the Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAÝ). he Pakistani F-16s will receive a mid-life upgrade that primarily involves replacement of avionics and structural modifications bringing them close to Block 40 standards.

Under the deal, two or three Pakistani F-16s are expected to be upgraded at the TAI facilities, while the remaining F-16s will be upgraded in Pakistan, either at the Sargodhi F-16 base in Punjab or in Kamra, around 50 kilometers outside of Islabamad, at the Pac-Kamra aircraft factory.
___

So will TAI upgrade our F-16s in pakistan? and what about other 14 f-16, will they be upgraded in US..

23march - i have my doubts about this report!

I think the confusion has arisen because 2 of PAFs original f16s were sent to USA for MLU. In addition, I thnk of the 14 2 were held back in USA for upgrades and MLU. They will rejoin the fleet in 2011. I am sure Blain will confirm this.
regards
Araz

each MLU takes up to 4-5 months including flight tests. so rejoining the fleet in 2011 looks in-correct.

Pakistan and turkey should help each other in fields of UAV's........

each MLU takes up to 4-5 months including flight tests. so rejoining the fleet in 2011 looks in-correct.

Fatman
I ma only quoting news that has appeared in the press. It may well be wrong. Or the LM factory might have a backlog. However the news has been in print and has been presented on this forum before.
Araz

Fatman
I ma only quoting news that has appeared in the press. It may well be wrong. Or the LM factory might have a backlog. However the news has been in print and has been presented on this forum before.
Araz

Dear Araz,
MLU's are not done at the LM factory but at a USAF AFB in Utah. the upgrade is done by US/LM technicians with support (in this case) by PAF engineers.
unfortunately our MLU program has started with a 4-month delay due to the first 2 a/c being stranded at a airport enroute to the USA. one the first 2 a/c are MLUed and get the approval of the PAF, look for this program to speed up.

Salam, I think that colabration with turkey will bring more self-reliance than china with hi-tech also .I would comment that they should upgrade those F-16's in Kamra so that it would be cheap a bit & can give an awsome amount of knowlege to the PAC engineeres and they should upgrage to that of stantard of blk-60 if possible / blk-60 with AESA and things like JF-17 would have(PAF avionics made my sagem& europeans co.) . Also they should concentrate on developing an aircraft like AEW&C (balance beam & rotordome) and AEW/ELINT

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom