What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

Does Turkmen have local dialects
ofc :D:D

Do you guys have a word like "Samut" , its used a lot here, means something like deaf/mute I think, my mother keep telling me "Samut gibi durma" "Samutlaşma" since I'm a silent type and don't socialize much :D there is also "Keme" which they use for mouse.
no we dont have samut but it's sounds to me like samsiq which means fool :crazy: and mouse in turkmen is same as turkish

Some Turkic Weaponry you guys add some too.
Kilij
ph-0.jpg

Resim-1.jpg

Yatagan:
ytgn18yy.jpg

Ottoman Reflex Bow:
osmanlı yayı.gif

Ottoman Competitive Archery:
The archery-related civil institutions like Okmeidan and tekke were established in the beginning of 15th century. Other than the training facilities tekke used to offer many social opportunities like dormitory, food court, library and meeting room. With these opportunities it had an identity similar to that of a modern sports club. Flight archery which is the less war-related discipline has always been very popular while bow and arrow were still in use on battlefields.

“Kemankeş” or graduated archers used to train hard and regularly like the elite professional athletes of modern times. It’s known that the best ones have been reimbursed or sponsored by the Palace.
Distances of over 800 m have been reached in flight archery.

The flight records are very well-documented. According to Islamic rules the record was only valid when the shot had been witnessed by a minimum of four persons. Each shooting range or “menzil” was indicated by two stones, one “foot stone” erected at the spot where the archer stands and a “main stone” for indicating the direction of the shot. In any attempt these witnesses who were employees of the Okmeidan had to be present. The distances achieved were not only recorded to Tekke’s Registration Book but monumental stones were also erected for the remembrance and declaration of them.

• Tozkoparan Iskender 1281.5 gez (845,79 m)
  • Mîr-i Alem Ahmed Ağa 1271,5 gez (839,18 m)
  • Bursalı Şûca 1243,5 gez (820,71 m)
  • Tozkoparan Iskender 1279 gez (844,14 m)
  • Parpol Hüseyin Efendi 1207 gez (796,62 m)
  • Çullu Ferruh 1223 gez (807,18 m)
  • Lenduha Cafer 1209,5 gez (798,27 m)
  • Sultan II. Mahmud 1228 gez (810,48 m), 1225 gez (808,5 m), 1219 gez (804,54 m
Monumental Stones, each being documentation and a piece of art have been erected as the remembrance and declaration of these records.

The monumental stones were called menzil stones (pronounced. men-zeel). Each of these stones had a carved poetic text which contained the archer’s name, the distance achieved and the date of the record. The date was recorded in a specific manner by using “ebced”17. Therefore these texts have been exceptional examples of Turkish calligraphy and poetry.

11.jpg

Picture 9: The stone for a record shot of Sultan Mahmud II. The photograph was taken in 19th century (Courtesy of Prof. Dr. Atilla Bir and Dr. Mustafa Kaçar).

12_t.jpg

Picture 10: This is a picture of the menzil Stone of Beşir Aga, erected for the remembrance of his 630 m shot. What makes this photograph more important is that the person on the right is Dr. Paul Ernest Klopsteg at his visit to Istanbul in 1930 (Courtesy of Prof. Dr. Atilla Bir and Dr. Mustafa Kaçar).

13_t.jpg

Picture 11: This is the stone of the brilliant record of Iskender the “Tozkoparan”. The distance is 846 m and the year 1550 (Courtesy of Mr. Şinasi Acar).

Last edited:
well i dont think turkmenistan is so defenseless as the site is saying

Military parade held in Turkmenistan to mark independent anniv. - Xinhua | English.news.cn

turkmenistan has very great armored and air force
Most of their equipment is out dated and they probably dont have very much experience when it comes to counter terrorism training. The military is probably just their to keep the president safe other than that it has a minimal role because it is to small to accomplish anything else. Atleast they are turks so we know that they are capable warriors on an individual level but still we hope for the best for Turkmenistan.

@Kaan

Did you changed your name ?

Also, that warrior in your profile pic, its most likely a Hungarian :D

@ghara ghan

As said Turkmenistan army has minimal experience and largely using outdated stuff.

But Turkmenistan doesn't have a serious risk of war in near future anyway, if I was the head of Turkmenistan, I would just establish a small but proffessional and modern army, mostly concentrated on defence and pin point operations. Somehow actual leaders think building golden ornamented marble buildings is more important.

Most of their equipment is out dated and they probably dont have very much experience when it comes to counter terrorism training. The military is probably just their to keep the president safe other than that it has a minimal role because it is to small to accomplish anything else. Atleast they are turks so we know that they are capable warriors on an individual level but still we hope for the best for Turkmenistan.
yea i agree their army is old fashion and they don't have much experience for counter terrorism maybe it would be best for them to buy some otocar cobra tulpar altay and t-129 and it's very impotent to use TAI Anka to protect the border but if i was turkmenistan president i will ask turkey to open base in turkmenistan to train land air and navy force you will helped us in danger yes ? :-)

@ghara ghan

I found Magtymguly's poems in Youtube :D

Its "sound" is actually very familiar(check the comment :D), its just the choice of words and pronounce difference which is a natural result of geoghpraphical distance.

I'm saying it because of pattern in his shield :) wihte base&red stripe was known with Hungarians and also Austrians :D

They used both, helmet was copied from Ottomans of course, which is also spreaded to all over Europe :) Although skins and wings are most likely not brought by Ottomans, at least I don't know anything about Turkish warriors from east wearing wings and leopard skins, they're most likely locally developed in Balkans(maybe at Ottoman period)

Back
Top Bottom