What's new

Turkeys Acquisition of The F-35 JSF

Turkey to place initial order for two F-35s

Chaired by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a critical Defense Industry Executive Committee (DIEC) meeting today finally wrapped up Turkey’s long-awaited decision to place an order for 5th generation stealth F-35s.that will become the new front line fighter of the Turkish Air Force.

The decision was delayed last year with Turkish authorities citing “uncertainty of costs”. Turkey is expected to eventually order between 100 to 120 F-35s, some of which will replace Turkey’s ageing fleet of F-4 and F-16 aircraft.

Turkey hopes to use the F-35s in unison with its indigenous TF-X fighter planned for maiden flight in 2023, country’s centennial as a modern republic.

Continuing to expand Turkey’s spy satellite network was another significant decision from the meeting. Within the framework of this decision, Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) will continue its design efforts for Gokturk-3, Turkey’s first indigenous SAR satellite, as well as other future satellites in the Gokturk series.

Turkey launched its first high-resolution reconnaissance satellite, Gokturk-2, to space from China’s Jiuquan launch facility in 2012. Construction of a second satellite by Italy’s Telespazio with even higher capabilities, Gokturk-1, is scheduled for launch in late 2014.

Being a radar-based observatory, Gokturk-3 will allow the Turkish Air Force to gather images day and night, without being affected by clouds and adverse weather for the first time.

DIEC has also awarded Selah Makine shipyards new contract negotiations for the construction of two logistics support ships, Ares shipyards to build an undisclosed number of SEAL insertion boats, and MTA to procure two propulsion systems for the Turkish Navy’s Ada-class (also known as Milgem) corvettes.

A press release by SSM, Turkey’s Undersecretariat for Defense Industrues, following the DIEC meeting also revealed that Turkey is continuing to negotiate with China on its strategic T-LORAMIDS high-altitude missile defence system that has stirred a lot of heat with NATO and Turkey’s Western allies over security and compatibility issues..

China’s HQ-9 had previously beat US, European and Russian contenders in the multi-billion dollar T-LORAMIDS program. For the negotiations to be finalized and finally awarded, China must meet Turkish military requirements by the end of June.

Defence analysts expect China to win the lucrative tender with HQ-9s price point, improved capabilities and China’s willingness to share technology with Turkey.

Short URL: Turkey to place initial order for two F-35s | TR Defence
Thanks for the article bro. You should visit more often.

So if we are buying a total of 100 and we receive the first 2 in 2018 and then we recieve 10 every year then it will be well passed 2025 by the time we get all of our F-35's.

Thats along time to wait.

PRESS RELEASE

Tarih : 06.05.2014
Konu : Joint Strike Fighter(JSF)

Dear Members of the Press,

After the evaluation of the current situation in the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Program, which
Turkey joined as a consortium partner since Concept Demonstration Phase in 1999 in order
to meet the Next Generation fighter requirement of Turkish Air Force and has been
attending utilizing Turkish industry’s production and assembly capabilities to the maximum
extent, The Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) has been tasked to order the first two F-35A aircraft with Blok-3F configuration under Low Rate Initial Production-10 (LRIP-10).

SSM has been tasked to perform necessary activities for the establishment of the Final
Assembly and Check-Out line and Depot Level Maintenance Center for F135 engine within
Turkish local industry and Turkish Air Force structure. Turkey aims to provide service to all F-
35 users around the region via these facilities to be established.

Up until now, JSF Program is being followed closely and our support to the program
continues strong as ever. In this context, Turkey continues her forecast of the acquisition of
100 F-35A aircraft as planned and declared previously.

http://www.ssm.gov.tr/home/quick/ann...40605_JSF.aspx

One of the most important part of the story is the check-out and depot level maintenance center of F135 engines for Turkey and ally countries that uses F-35. Turkey aims to earn billion $ thanks to that regional F135 center.

Turkey is not only produce the most critical parts of F-135 engines (2200 different parts including strategic bladed rotors) in Turkey, but also provide service for costumers...

Last edited:
bildschirmfoto2014-05l7lva.png

f35_belly.jpg

Wow this is great. So it looks like alot of countries will be using the som in the future if they are acquiring the F-35 and Havelsan will probably get alot of contracts for their simulator.

Also it looks like many countries will become dependent on the Turkish defence industry so this whole F-35 decision makes us a very important strategic partner to any F-35 users.

Fokker Elmo
elmo-face.jpg

Wow this is great. So it looks like alot of countries will be using the som in the future if they are acquiring the F-35 and Havelsan will probably get alot of contracts for their simulator.

Also it looks like many countries will become dependent on the Turkish defence industry so this whole F-35 decision makes us a very important strategic partner to any F-35 users.

Fokker Elmo
View attachment 27575

I was just about to post a picture on that Elmo-guy :rofl:

I know Iranians always like overrating their capabilities but They should face some truths.

Without any signle doubt, Turkey has the strongest air power of that region and will be much more stronger than current in 2020's.

100+F-35
240 Fully upgraded F-16
TF-X fighters

with;

Domestic Air to Ground precision guided munitions/Missiles
Domestic Air to Air Missiles
Own developed Stand-off Jammer aircraft
One of the most capable AEW&C crafts
Domestic Surveillance&Recognaisance&Armed MALE&HALE UAV's
Domestic Spy and Radar satellites
Domestic Links and Networks connecting all strategic crafts/dataes with eachothers

I know Iranians always like overrating their capabilities but They should face some truths.

Without any signle doubt, Turkey has the strongest air power of that region and will be much more stronger than current in 2020's.

100+F-35
240 Fully upgraded F-16
TF-X fighters

with;

Domestic Links and Networks connecting all strategic crafts/dataes with eachothers
Iranian can only make figure model and drive F-14 forever

But Israel and Saudi 's Air Force equipment are still the top level of the region

Of coz I believe the industry of turkey is,will be far more stronger than any country in this region

100+F-35
240 Fully upgraded F-16
TF-X fighters

with;

As of now saudi and israel are ahead when it comes to numbers.

Good news. I bet many of the Turkish Airforce pilots will be jockeying to be the guys to fly this beast.

Iranian can only make figure model and drive F-14 forever

But Israel and Saudi 's Air Force equipment are still the top level of the region

Of coz I believe the industry of turkey is,will be far more stronger than any country in this region

I kept Israel out of my consideration cause of some reasons. It is true that IAF has bigger size than any airforce that We can compare but They have training issue. They need other countries training center and air coridors to carry out flight/training activities.

Saudi Arabia is also one of the strongest in region in terms of size (Actually more or less similar with TurAF but They ordered EF-2000, Turkey started ordering F-35)

but In terms of training and experiences of pilots, TurAF is leading...

TurAF is being trained in one of the most capable exercise area of Turkey inside of many Western/Soviet SAM threats which was realistically simulated by Havelsan developed eHTES that real SAM radars were integrated on computers. IAF was also trained in that area, Saudi Arabia is already been training in Konya at some designated days of each years and It is opened for other NATO and friend countries' aircrafts as well. In West, Dogfight trainings are continuously proceeding against Greek Mirage and F-16's. In S. East, TurAF is continuously carrying out extraterritorial operations against real threats.

Last edited:
I think best to replace the outdated weapon of army and navy firstly

So many old ship,tank,artillery piece and ACVs
You know, artillery pieces doesn't really get old :)
I think we really need to throw the BTRs to a junkyard and grab either of Otokar Arma or FNSS Pars, I think that should be prioritized
And as much as it makes me angry politics happened to the MİLGEM project... these are true

But I'm still in favor of this procurement, as Turkish Air Force is no longer limited with dogfights in Aegean and COIN operations to the SouthEast, Russia and Israel are emerging threats we can't respond with the current equipment.

Back
Top Bottom