What's new

Turkey-Pakistan to build a train line

You get what you wish for :enjoy:

You think people wish for meetings, committees, announcements and promises OR delivering on good governance, completing national projects and ACTUALLY setting things right?

It will be a tough choice for you but take your pick.

The first thing to do on a good working rail link will be to make the track size uniform in Pakistan from Quetta to Iran border. Once that happens then trade can proceed smoothly. Once trade starts and proves profitable then other events will follow. The action should be on the ground and not just in official functions. Lets hope for the best

It can not go to central Asia since, there is no tracks in Afghanistan and even beyond, going through Russia and then Caucasus will be problematic to say the least.

The train link already exists. Iran's railway is connected to Turkey and to Pakistan, though there is a track gauge mismatch between Pakistan and Iran since Pakistan does not use standard gauge. So Pakistani trains can not run on Iranian or Turkish tracks. But the problem is not the link. It is the lack of political will. I have seen the Pakistan Railway train that runs between Queta and Zahedan. It is really a joke. The train wagons do not have doors, windows or sometimes even seats, let alone air-conditioning or catering. It never runs on schedule and is highly insecure and you are lucky if it runs twice a month. The train is a thing right from horror movies with its broken windows and broken frames.

Iran has been complaining to Pakistan, that either they should change the gauge size till Queta, making it possible for Iranian trains to run through it or they should upgrade the wagons and the locomotives. No response was ever received.

Aaaah Brother! :sad: :agree:

Can't this new track been built from Gawadar ?? Is this possible as it seems Gawadar is located near border of Iran.

12000$ per ticket from London to Tehran???????. This is too much,too expensive.While air fare (Qatar Airlines)from Bombay to London via Doha is INR 16500 (275$)
are you kidding?
Karachi to Seoul via Bangkok (Thai airways) fare is nearly $650.

Aaaah Brother! :sad: :agree:

Can't this new track been built from Gawadar ?? Is this possible as it seems Gawadar is located near border of Iran.

Gwadar is not connected to Pakistan rail network. In this case a new rail track must be built on both side of border.

are you kidding?

Not at all. There is a luxury train that runs between London-Budapest-Tehran and is very expensive. It is a tourist train.

are you kidding?
No I am not kidding.I am a resident of Bombay(now Mumbai)the air fare from Mumbai to London via doha is INR 19600 apr (327$). U can search on net(Qatar airlines). If u have any queries,please feel free to respond. It was a typing mistake. One of my friends is going to London in the month of June,he told me the return fare comes nearly INR 40,000 THAT IS 666 US$.

I dont know about train fare between Iran and Turkey but it is definitely cheaper than air, that is if you are not travelling on those stupid exclusive European trains on London to Tehran tour, with 12 thousand dollars per ticket.

Security is not an issue at Iran-Turkey border. It is an issue in Pakistan.
I once saw in a documentary that there are multiple bus departures from Tehran to Istanbul every day, this means there are at least a couple hundred people everyday traveling from Tehran to Istanbul and visa versa.

These people could use much faster High speed trains which are safer and more comfortable, i dont know why there is no investition in this direction.

We already planned High Speed line till Mardin, its not far from Iranian border so it wont be a bad investition if you ask me.

high_speed_network_turkey.jpg

Gwadar is not connected to Pakistan rail network. In this case a new rail track must be built on both side of border.
Gawadar can be Connected to Iran by Rail if Iran connect Chabahar with rest of Iran then its Possible.

I once saw in a documentary that there are multiple bus departures from Tehran to Istanbul every day, this means there are at least a couple hundred people everyday traveling from Tehran to Istanbul and visa versa.

These people could use much faster High speed trains which are safer and more comfortable, i dont know why there is no investition in this direction.

We already planned High Speed line till Mardin, its not far from Iranian border so it wont be a bad investition if you ask me.

high_speed_network_turkey.jpg

Iran also has a plan for high speed train east west (from Turkish border to Turkmenistan) and south north. But no work has started on these yet. And frankly I do not see any benefit of these under current economic conditions without implementation of Chinese proposed silk route. Such huge investment only makes sense if it is part of an international route.

Gawadar can be Connected to Iran by Rail if Iran connect Chabahar with rest of Iran then its Possible.

Well, if it happens as such it would be good. But I have doubts since, both Gwadar and Chabahar are too much talk and not much substance. At least in foreseeable future.

Lets hope this is the case indeed. Time will tell. :cheers:

One other good benefit of this would be that, less Shias are going to be killed on Pakistani roads.
that bus service has been stopped to take pilgrims....Gov has asked them to use the air route instead.

It can not go to central Asia since, there is no tracks in Afghanistan and even beyond, going through Russia and then Caucasus will be problematic to say the least.

The train link already exists. Iran's railway is connected to Turkey and to Pakistan, though there is a track gauge mismatch between Pakistan and Iran since Pakistan does not use standard gauge. So Pakistani trains can not run on Iranian or Turkish tracks. But the problem is not the link. It is the lack of political will. I have seen the Pakistan Railway train that runs between Queta and Zahedan. It is really a joke. The train wagons do not have doors, windows or sometimes even seats, let alone air-conditioning or catering. It never runs on schedule and is highly insecure and you are lucky if it runs twice a month. The train is a thing right from horror movies with its broken windows and broken frames.

Iran has been complaining to Pakistan, that either they should change the gauge size till Queta, making it possible for Iranian trains to run through it or they should upgrade the wagons and the locomotives. No response was ever received.
Its Quetta.

A more economically viberant corridor would be Pak-Afg-Central Asia-Turkey providing Linkage of central asia and afghanistan to gawadar port. A traveller's link can be established through Iran but I dont see any economic synergies from this link.

turkish-train2.jpg

A new train line joining Turkey to Pakistan will further seal the two countries together, providing an economic boost for both nations.

World Bulletin / News Desk

Held at the Serana Hotel in Islamabad, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif spoke at the Turkey-Pakistan Business forum, saying that Pakistan and Turkey have helped each other in difficult times, saying that as sister nations, "I'd say that Turkey is my first homeland. With Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, using the same expression, delights me".

Nawaz Sharif thanked Ahmet Davutoglu, for Turkey's support for the rehabilitation of those in tribal regions.

Evaluating the importance of economic and trade cooperation, Sharif said, "We have agreed on the building of a railway between Turkey and Pakistan. With this regional connectivity, the dream will turn into a reality: Sharif also explained that the Pakistan-Chinese economic corridor will also be brought to life.

Turkey-Pakistan to build a train line | Asia-Pasific | Worldbulletin News

Turkey should invest as much as in the line which will help Pakistan products to boost in EU markets. Also turkey should invest more in Iranian mineral sector and bring Pakistani investors there in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom