What's new

Turkey Launches Deadly Airstrikes Against Syrian Forces

Microsoft

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/world/middleeast/turkey-syria-idlib.html

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that as many as 35 Syrian government troops had been killed, and he warned Russia against trying to prevent his country’s actions.

merlin_168256338_f608e6bd-910a-4fc9-9e44-144efe1730bb-articleLarge.jpg

A Turkish military convoy on Sunday in Dana, a Syrian town in Idlib Province near the Turkish border.Credit...Aaref Watad/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

ISTANBUL — Turkey deployed F-16 fighter jets against government forces in northwestern Syria on Monday, a sharp escalation of the conflict there after six Turkish soldiers were killed by artillery strikes.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey said that as many as 35 Syrian troops had been “neutralized.” The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group based in Britain, said the number of military personnel killed was at least 13, while state news media in Syria made no mention of any deaths. There were also reports on social media of at least eight civilian deaths when a minibus was struck.

Mr. Erdogan warned Russia, which backs the Syrian government and which controls the airspace in western Syria, not to prevent Turkey from retaliating.

“It should be out of discussion to block us,” Mr. Erdogan said, before leaving for a trip to Ukraine. Describing the dead Turkish soldiers as martyrs, he added that, “It is not possible for us to keep silent” as long as his country’s troops were being targeted.

a de-escalation zone in the area.

merlin_168207927_5e1e24b2-0b6b-48ef-b307-57a858d71cd7-articleLarge.jpg

A nearly deserted street Saraqeb, Syria, on Friday.Credit...Omar Haj Kadour/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
But Russian and Syrian forces have been conducting an offensive on the major highway through the province, prompting hundreds of thousands of civilians to flee north toward the border with Turkey.

nearly four million people trying to escape the war, which started nearly nine years ago, and is concerned that the Syrian push into the area will create a fresh surge of refugees. It has closed its border with Syria to prevent more refugees from entering.

Nearly 700,000 people have been displaced since the Russian-led offensive began in Idlib last year — 140,000 in January alone. Many are camping in the open in increasingly desperate conditions.

The deployment of air power came after the Turkish Defense Ministry said that a supply convoy bringing reinforcements into the observation posts on Monday had come under fire, leaving six Turkish soldiers dead and several others wounded.

The movement of the convoy had been coordinated beforehand, the statement said, and Turkish forces retaliated immediately. “Those who test Turkey’s determination with such heinous attacks will understand they have made a huge mistake,’’ Mr. Erdogan said.

Moscow, however, disputed Turkey’s account about coordinating with other forces in the province, saying that the Russian Defense Ministry had not been told about the troop movements.

Syrian forces were trying to hit militants linked with Al Qaeda, the Russian Defense Ministry said, according to The Associated Press, and the Turkish forces were struck because they were in the area. (To justify their attacks, including ones that have killed many civilians, Russia and the Syrian government have consistently argued they must go on the offensive to eradicate terrorists.)

purchasing the Russian S-400 missile defense system against the wishes of the United States and other NATO allies. But those links do not appear to have won him any lasting concessions from Moscow over Idlib.

The Turkish Defense Ministry said that it was maintaining suppressive fire on Syrian targets for self-defense to evacuate the dead and wounded. “The perpetrators of this hateful attack will be brought to account and our right to self-defense will be exercised in the most robust way,” the ministry said.

The suffering continued for the civilians caught in the fighting. At least eight people, most of them women and children, were said to have been killed on Monday when their minibus came under fire on a rural road. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that nine people had died in that attack, including four children.

Ahmad Aslan, who fled with his family from the town of Maaret al-Numan, said in a video message that he would have preferred death to abandoning his home. “We prayed many times to die from rockets or from barrel bombs there but it didn’t happen,” he said.

“After the regime advanced, we were forced to leave,” he added. “We have been living under the rain and cold, we lack shelter and food.”

Video distributed on social media showed people setting fire to their homes before fleeing the town of Saraqeb, ahead of the advancing Syrian forces. “We don’t want to leave anything behind for the thugs,” a voice in the background says.

Abdul Kareem Thalji, from Iss, a few miles from Saraqeb, said, “The regime is advancing and I’m racing with time to find a car and house to stay in.” He added that he was being displaced for the seventh time. “If you ask me about hope, I will tell you my entire ambition for life has collapsed, people here have lost hope.”

Last edited:
Mr. Erdogan warned Russia, which backs the Syrian government and which controls the airspace in western Syria, not to prevent Turkey from retaliating.

Putin should send arms to the Toburk government to further split Erdogan's hunger for civil war in MENA.

Best of luck to Turkey for 5th gen fighters. Turkey has alienated Washington over anti-Zionism. Turkey has a poor relationship with China over trying for a civil war in China in the East Turkistan cause. Now Erodgan is lecturing Russia over Syria and Libya, years after downing a Russian fighter jet. France has sent a warship to calm down Erdogan, the UK ended their involvement in the TAI 5th gen fighter program, Erdogan stole Greece's economic waters.

So what is left is Italy, Japan and Germany. And Italy has interests in an end to the civil war in Libya. Germany wants to prevent a rise of the far right, the far right hates Turkey, so friendship with Germany is not really possible.

Turkey is left with the Japanese... and India. I doubt Tokyo would want to anger Washington in supporting rogue Ankara.

Are supporting two civil wars really worth this?

Erdogan's war against the PKK was justified, but not against Assad or in Libya.

Putin should send arms to the Toburk government to further split Erdogan's hunger for civil war in MENA.

Best of luck to Turkey for 5th gen fighters. Turkey has alienated Washington over anti-Zionism. Turkey has a poor relationship with China over trying for a civil war in China in the East Turkistan cause. Now Erodgan is lecturing Russia over Syria and Libya, years after downing a Russian fighter jet. France has sent a warship to calm down Erdogan, the UK ended their involvement in the TAI 5th gen fighter program, Erdogan stole Greece's economic waters.

So what is left is Italy, Japan and Germany. And Italy has interests in an end to the civil war in Libya. Germany wants to prevent a rise of the far right, the far right hates Turkey, so friendship with Germany is not really possible.

Turkey is left with the Japanese... and India. I doubt Tokyo would want to anger Washington in supporting rogue Ankara.

Turkey is doomed:enjoy:

There is no evidence for this so called attack up to now. No evidence a single Syrian Soldiers was killed. Anyone has any hard proof this incident even occurred? All we have is some unsubstantiated claims by Erdgogan etc.

There is no evidence for this so called attack up to now. No evidence a single Syrian Soldiers was killed. Anyone has any hard proof this incident even occurred? All we have is some unsubstantiated claims by Erdgogan etc.

Try to read the article please:

"The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group based in Britain, said the number of military personnel killed was at least 13, while state news media in Syria made no mention of any deaths."

Try to read the article please:

"The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group based in Britain, said the number of military personnel killed was at least 13, while state news media in Syria made no mention of any deaths."

How about you try reading my comment? I asked for proper hard proof. Even when a single Syrian soldier is killed, there are countless pictures and details etc all over the net, thus far there has been nothing but claims. And, the Russians have denied any attack took place:

Russian Defense Ministry denies reports of Turkish air strikes on Syrian troops

https://tass.com/defense/1115651

Turkey means NATO. Turkey is also the NATO manager of the Muslim world. Can a Judeo-Christian alliance and Zionist sponsor NATO member be a Muslim at the same time ? Impossible. TURKEY must leave NATO if it wants to be seen as an honest broker instead of a Zionist accomplice.

This has always been erdos biggest problem,his tendency to alienate old friends quicker than he make new friends......plus theres that neo-ottomanist bullsh~t as well I suppose.

these stupid middle east wars have no clue who is fighting to whom

How about you try reading my comment? I asked for proper hard proof. Even when a single Syrian soldier is killed, there are countless pictures and details etc all over the net, thus far there has been nothing but claims. And, the Russians have denied any attack took place:

Russian Defense Ministry denies reports of Turkish air strikes on Syrian troops

https://tass.com/defense/1115651

Go ahead keep believing what you want I could care less. If something is verified by multiple sources and you want to believe one random Russian source be my guest.

Go ahead keep believing what you want I could care less. If something is verified by multiple sources and you want to believe one random Russian source be my guest.

Your "sources" mean nothing when there is zero evidence to suggest a single soldier has been killed. When you can provide me when the name of a single soldier killed, then come back.

Turkey means NATO. Turkey is also the NATO manager of the Muslim world. Can a Judeo-Christian alliance and Zionist sponsor NATO member be a Muslim at the same time ? Impossible. TURKEY must leave NATO if it wants to be seen as an honest broker instead of a Zionist accomplice.

Mullah Regime is supporting a criminal responsible for deaths of his own civilians.

I don't expect anything different though from Iran, they downed a civilian aircraft after all with no repercussions, and have only been killing civilians and oppressing their own.

Oppressors and killers support oppressors and killers. Nothing new here.

Full support to Turkish army

100%.

100% full support to Turkey and Erdogan.

There should be a site for anyone wanting to fund the Turkish government in case they get sanctioned, I know the funds won’t be much but if each individual contributes then it will help somewhat, and each individual who views Turkey in a positive light should do so should Turkey be in a precarious position.

Back
Top Bottom