What's new

Turkey insults and bullies Albania over Israel/Palestine

Hammer-fist

Reaction score
Albania’s Abstention on Palestine U.N. Vote and the Islamist Response

7:21 AM, DEC 14, 2012 • BY STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

On November 29, Albania was the sole Muslim-majority country in the United Nations to be counted among the 41 abstainers from the proposal to admit Palestine as a non-member observer. Certain Islamists were displeased, to say the least. In particular, Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, head of the “fundamentalist-lite” Justice and Development Party or AKP, responded with one of the tantrums that has become a hallmark of his administration.

Erdogan declared that he had exerted pressure on an unnamed Muslim land to abandon its intention to vote “no,” encouraging it to support the Palestinians, and arguing that an abstention would be considered the same as a “no” by Turkey.

“I told them that this would damage bilateral relations we have. . . . It would upset us,” Erdogan complained. He went on to lament, “there are many cowards in the world.” The Istanbul daily Hurriyet soon revealed that the target of Erdogan’s fit of pique was Albania and its prime minister, Sali Berisha.

Outsiders may not grasp how offensive Erdogan’s snit was to Berisha and his people, especially as it came during Albania's celebration of the centennial of its independence from the Ottoman Empire. For a Turkish politician to call Albanians “cowards” is breathtakingly heedless and arrogant.

The leading Albanian-American journalist Ruben Avxhiu, editor of the New York-based semi-weekly Illyria, warned on December 7, in the daily Panorama published in Tirana, that the Albanian proclamation of freedom in 1912 “ended five centuries of Turkish occupation. Albanians . . . were determined not to let Turkey ever again make decisions on their behalf. This remains true today.

Avxhiu observed, “Albania enjoys excellent relations with Israel . . . the intention of some of the actors [at the U.N.] is not peace for all the people of the region, but punishment and condemnation of Israel.” He wrote, “The Palestinian President, who a few days ago asked for the right of self-determination for his people at the UN, has denied it several times to Kosovo. In an official visit to Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, he said that Kosovo’s independence was a breach of international law and advised Kosovars to go back to the negotiating table and decide their status in agreement with Serbia. This is interesting advice, considering that it is exactly the opposite of what he is doing at the UN by asking for status while bypassing talks with Israel. Furthermore, Kosovars could only wish that Serbia would publicly agree in principle to a two-state solution, the way Israel has done. . . . Abbas’s advice is highly hypocritical.”

Regarding Erdogan, Avxhiu remarked on “the lure of the popularity that he has won in the Arab Street because of his harsh criticism of Israel. He hates to be surpassed by anyone else in this context, and certainly not by Iran's Ahmedinejad. . . . There may be other explanations of his position on the Palestinian issue, but nothing seems to distinguish him as ‘brave,’ at least not to the point of having the right to call a ‘coward’ the leader of another country, who makes his decisions based on different geopolitical, electoral and cultural parameters and circumstances.” In an obvious reference to the Turkish leader, Avxhiu concluded, “the person who is harmed the most is almost always the one who cannot resist running his mouth.”

Albanian officials, including Prime Minister Berisha, who spoke on Albanian national television about the controversy with Erdogan, were restrained and dignified, but firm. Albania had chosen to follow the lead of the United States on the Israel-Palestine issue, which Berisha described as “the most complicated in the world.” Abstention represented a step back from a “no.” But the government in Tirana would support a peace process and a two-state solution, not a one-sided vote to satisfy the Arab and Islamic alliances.

Nevertheless, ameliorative gestures by the Arab powers were soon visible. Qatar, which operates a large academic and investment center in the middle of Tirana, hosted a lavish reception at the Hotel Sheraton Tirana to mark the Gulf emirate’s National Day, which falls on December 18. The Qatari event was held at the end of November, in advance of the official date, with Berisha and other Albanian politicians in attendance.

For its part, Turkey sought to heal the breach with a celebration, on December 3, of the 20th anniversary of Ankara’s diplomatic recognition of the post-Yugoslav states of Slovenia, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Croatia.

Turkish foreign ministry official Mehmet Hasan Gogus told the Tirana media, “We have so much in common, historical ties exist between the two countries and peoples, and there are no political problems whatever between Ankara and Tirana.”

At the same time, the Turkish authorities emphasized their friendly view of Serbia. Gogus stipulated, in an idiom treated with suspicion by many Albanians, that Islamist Turkey has no ambition to “unite the Balkans under a Turkish umbrella. . . . [A] Pax Ottomanica has never been mentioned.”

Erdogan and his colleagues, however, have frequently admitted their expansive attitude toward the former Turkish possessions in Europe, and the Turkic cultural sphere in Central Asia as the basis of a revived dominion.

On December 10, Albanian media described a visit by Saudi officials, headed by the president-general of the Saudi Youth Welfare and Olympic Committee, Prince Nawaf Bin Faisal Bin Fahd Bin Abdulaziz. The Saudis were praised by Berisha for their assistance to Albania through the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and the Islamic Bank. At the same time, a leading Saudi business figure, Fawaz Alkohair, arrived and celebrated Albania’s “geographical location . . . low fiscal burden, business services, labor and cultural flexibility,” while promising new investment projects.....

(Rest of article is irrelevant and about Serbia).

Albania

Stephen Schwartz is a well known anti-Muslim propagandist however this story is relevant.

I do not support Israel (obviously being from Bangladesh I wouldn't) but:

1. Erdogan should really learn to control that ****** mouth of his and stop interfering in other countries affairs and decisions.

2. This is essentially bullying by a strongman from a country hyped up full of excessive nationalism and delusions of grandeur.

3. Erdogan has not just done this with Albania but with other Muslim countries.....whilst his regime (beyond the rhetoric) have not-so bad relations with the Israelis.

Albania’s Abstention on Palestine U.N. Vote and the Islamist Response

7:21 AM, DEC 14, 2012 • BY STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

On November 29, Albania was the sole Muslim-majority country in the United Nations to be counted among the 41 abstainers from the proposal to admit Palestine as a non-member observer. Certain Islamists were displeased, to say the least. In particular, Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, head of the “fundamentalist-lite” Justice and Development Party or AKP, responded with one of the tantrums that has become a hallmark of his administration.

Erdogan declared that he had exerted pressure on an unnamed Muslim land to abandon its intention to vote “no,” encouraging it to support the Palestinians, and arguing that an abstention would be considered the same as a “no” by Turkey.

“I told them that this would damage bilateral relations we have. . . . It would upset us,” Erdogan complained. He went on to lament, “there are many cowards in the world.” The Istanbul daily Hurriyet soon revealed that the target of Erdogan’s fit of pique was Albania and its prime minister, Sali Berisha.

Outsiders may not grasp how offensive Erdogan’s snit was to Berisha and his people, especially as it came during Albania's celebration of the centennial of its independence from the Ottoman Empire. For a Turkish politician to call Albanians “cowards” is breathtakingly heedless and arrogant.

The leading Albanian-American journalist Ruben Avxhiu, editor of the New York-based semi-weekly Illyria, warned on December 7, in the daily Panorama published in Tirana, that the Albanian proclamation of freedom in 1912 “ended five centuries of Turkish occupation. Albanians . . . were determined not to let Turkey ever again make decisions on their behalf. This remains true today.

Avxhiu observed, “Albania enjoys excellent relations with Israel . . . the intention of some of the actors [at the U.N.] is not peace for all the people of the region, but punishment and condemnation of Israel.” He wrote, “The Palestinian President, who a few days ago asked for the right of self-determination for his people at the UN, has denied it several times to Kosovo. In an official visit to Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, he said that Kosovo’s independence was a breach of international law and advised Kosovars to go back to the negotiating table and decide their status in agreement with Serbia. This is interesting advice, considering that it is exactly the opposite of what he is doing at the UN by asking for status while bypassing talks with Israel. Furthermore, Kosovars could only wish that Serbia would publicly agree in principle to a two-state solution, the way Israel has done. . . . Abbas’s advice is highly hypocritical.”

Regarding Erdogan, Avxhiu remarked on “the lure of the popularity that he has won in the Arab Street because of his harsh criticism of Israel. He hates to be surpassed by anyone else in this context, and certainly not by Iran's Ahmedinejad. . . . There may be other explanations of his position on the Palestinian issue, but nothing seems to distinguish him as ‘brave,’ at least not to the point of having the right to call a ‘coward’ the leader of another country, who makes his decisions based on different geopolitical, electoral and cultural parameters and circumstances.” In an obvious reference to the Turkish leader, Avxhiu concluded, “the person who is harmed the most is almost always the one who cannot resist running his mouth.”

Albanian officials, including Prime Minister Berisha, who spoke on Albanian national television about the controversy with Erdogan, were restrained and dignified, but firm. Albania had chosen to follow the lead of the United States on the Israel-Palestine issue, which Berisha described as “the most complicated in the world.” Abstention represented a step back from a “no.” But the government in Tirana would support a peace process and a two-state solution, not a one-sided vote to satisfy the Arab and Islamic alliances.

Nevertheless, ameliorative gestures by the Arab powers were soon visible. Qatar, which operates a large academic and investment center in the middle of Tirana, hosted a lavish reception at the Hotel Sheraton Tirana to mark the Gulf emirate’s National Day, which falls on December 18. The Qatari event was held at the end of November, in advance of the official date, with Berisha and other Albanian politicians in attendance.

For its part, Turkey sought to heal the breach with a celebration, on December 3, of the 20th anniversary of Ankara’s diplomatic recognition of the post-Yugoslav states of Slovenia, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Croatia.

Turkish foreign ministry official Mehmet Hasan Gogus told the Tirana media, “We have so much in common, historical ties exist between the two countries and peoples, and there are no political problems whatever between Ankara and Tirana.”

At the same time, the Turkish authorities emphasized their friendly view of Serbia. Gogus stipulated, in an idiom treated with suspicion by many Albanians, that Islamist Turkey has no ambition to “unite the Balkans under a Turkish umbrella. . . . [A] Pax Ottomanica has never been mentioned.”

Erdogan and his colleagues, however, have frequently admitted their expansive attitude toward the former Turkish possessions in Europe, and the Turkic cultural sphere in Central Asia as the basis of a revived dominion.

On December 10, Albanian media described a visit by Saudi officials, headed by the president-general of the Saudi Youth Welfare and Olympic Committee, Prince Nawaf Bin Faisal Bin Fahd Bin Abdulaziz. The Saudis were praised by Berisha for their assistance to Albania through the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and the Islamic Bank. At the same time, a leading Saudi business figure, Fawaz Alkohair, arrived and celebrated Albania’s “geographical location . . . low fiscal burden, business services, labor and cultural flexibility,” while promising new investment projects.....

(Rest of article is irrelevant and about Serbia).

Albania

Stephen Schwartz is a well known anti-Muslim propagandist however this story is relevant.

I do not support Israel (obviously being from Bangladesh I wouldn't) but:

1. Erdogan should really learn to control that ****** mouth of his and stop interfering in other countries affairs and decisions.

2. This is essentially bullying by a strongman from a country hyped up full of excessive nationalism and delusions of grandeur.

3. Erdogan has not just done this with Albania but with other Muslim countries.....whilst his regime (beyond the rhetoric) have not-so bad relations with the Israelis.

Prime Minister of Turkey is certainly entitled to his opinion and since most of the Albanians ar ethnic Turks and the country use to be part of Ottoman Empire, Turkey has a lot of influence in that country.

Albanians hate Turks. Their national Hero is a guy who fought against Ottomans. If Erdoğan didnt learn this till now, i am speechless. Another blow to Pax Ottomana.

Who cares about Albania?? Erdogan is trying to regain the Position as Muslim leader like Ottomans and he is successful to a great extent , by criticizing albania, he went one step forward.....

1. I don't think Pakistanis would be happy if they were called "cowards" because they did not agree with the same policies as Turkey and Erdogan e.g. Turkey supports Dostum in Afghanistan whilst Pakistan supports his enemies, Pashtun-based groups.

2. I have been following Erdogan for a few years and he is definitely a bully who likes to interfere in other countries internal affairs.

Even some Pakistanis are unhappy with his meddling in Afghanistan.

1. I don't think Pakistanis would be happy if they were called "cowards" because they did not agree with the same policies as Turkey and Erdogan e.g. Turkey supports Dostum in Afghanistan whilst Pakistan supports his enemies, Pashtun-based groups.

2. I have been following Erdogan for a few years and he is definitely a bully who likes to interfere in other countries internal affairs.

1) Afghanistan is multi ethnic country with Influence lines of many foreign powers. Specifically, Iran supports Tajiks and Hazaras, Pakistan supports Pashtuns, Turkey supports Turkmens and Uzbeks. Recently, Mongolia started to support Hazaras, that was very interesting for me.

2) Pakistanis used to blame Turks because Turks Abandoned "Jihad fi Sebilullah", now you are irritated by Return of Ottomans. :D

Prime Minister of Turkey is certainly entitled to his opinion and since most of the Albanians ar ethnic Turks and the country use to be part of Ottoman Empire, Turkey has a lot of influence in that country.

Bro they are not Turks. Albanians descend from the ancient Illyrians and speak an Indo-European language. The main link they had with Turkey was Islam, but during the communist era Albania was under the tight control of the anti religion-secular Enver Hoxha. Their national hero is Skanderbeg, a Catholic who resisted Ottoman/Turkish rule.

@ the topic. I dont know why Erdogan is surprised? This isnt a new policy that Albania has adopted. Also the gains it has made in recent years (Kosovo, greater rights for Albanians in Macedonia) have largely been due to the support of the US. Why would it go against the US then.

You are a Bangladeshi so please don't speak on behalf of Pakistanis.

Turkish People are our closest allies of Pakistan and we don't need a Bangladeshi to speak on our behalf.

PM Erdogan is a hero and has somewhat of a cult backing in Pakistan. As Erdogan said himself that he considers Pakistan his second home and the feeling is mutual for most Pakistanis. Whenever I visit Turkey I feel like I am at home.

We don't have any issues with our beloved Turkish brothers and if we ever do we can communicate with each other like family members do.

1) Afghanistan is multi ethnic country with Influence lines of many foreign powers. Specifically, Iran supports Tajiks and Hazaras, Pakistan supports Pashtuns, Turkey supports Turkmens and Uzbeks. Recently, Mongolia started to support Hazaras, that was very interesting for me.

2) Pakistanis used to blame Turks because Turks Abandoned "Jihad fi Sebilullah", now you are irritated by Return of Ottomans. :D

1. I am not irritated by the return of Ottomans (who had their good points and bad points e.g. lack of industrialization, no development in Anatolia and the rest of the Ottoman state, the Ottoman state was basically a Rumelian empire) but more by Erdogan, Davutoglu and Gul and their thuggish ways.

If you notice in my post I did not criticize the Ottomans or previous leaders of the Turkish republic e.g Ecevit, Demirel etc.

2. The Afghan thing is purely an example (I am ignoring Pakistanisages' silly and immature post which is blind to the world of realpolitik) and I do not want to discuss it further.

However what he said though trying to attack me actually completely validates my point. He is saying I am from one nation and should not talk about the affairs of another nation, this is precisely what this idiot Erdogan is doing.

3. If Arab rulers said some of the things that Turkey has said about Arab states then the Turkish media would be up in arms and make a huge issue out of it and tell the Arabs to mind their own business.

This issue is complex and is also related to the plans the US has for Turkey and to use it to dominate the Muslim bloc to advance US interests.

Hammer-fist you didn't get Erdogan, As mentioned above by other posters Albania is already a anti turkey nation. They hate Erdogan irrespective of his remarks. So Erdogan has nothing to lose there! But he gained something in muslim world, it may sound immature, but saudis, Turks, Iranians are in three way rivalry as the head of muslim world! Its cheap politics, but Erdogan knows it well.

Somebody needs to kick some sense into Erdogan, he is a hypocrite.

Just Clarity here about..

Turkey never Bully Albania ..

If any News papers write Erdogan bully Berisha ( Prime Mister )or Albania ...

Erdogan never done that Face to Face ! and Never Nominate Albania..

Turkey and Albania they have very well know friendships together after the war Between them Finished in 1912.

But i have to let people know Albanians are not Turks and is not under Empire Ottoman to follow their rules...Albania is Free Country from 1912 from Ottoman Empire.
No one can not Pretend Albanians are Turks for two reasons .

1.Turkey is not in border with Albania..but Greece and Bulgari...even need pass Macedonia.
I think is more easy Turkey come in Pakistan then Albania it self.
2.Just to let you people here know ...i can understand some one ignorance here.. because to far from our story.
Albanians are Illiyrians Most older them Turkish it self or Ottomans even more older the Romans and Greece.
Calling Albanians Turks here is more offence then Coward !
Albania fight with Empire Ottoman All own..when all Europe fails down...Our Hero Skenderbeg ( Second Alexander ) did not left Sultan Mehmeti to do reality his Dream to take Europe. Albanian not use religions for their Politics..Like many other Christians or Jewish or Muslims country do !
Albania is the only country in the world has different mentality about Religion.
Politics are separate from Religions .
I can tell you why !

Politics are most dirty people and Politic it self is Dirty Science philosophic many big guys calling "Politics = Devil"
Religion is Pure ...is our Bread of the Spirit..we can not stay with it...The God, Allah .The law of God is Bigger to be nominate on Politics for their use.
For that people do not confuse it self much.

Erdogan di not done that because they love Palestine !...but for their own position in the Muslim World..They like to became a leader after EU European left them out and USA drop their support after incident with Israel.
Why Erdogan the Real Coward for me did open a war against Israel when they conquest in open Sea their Ship and got hostage their own people was Really helping the Palestine !??? That Ship was with Turkish Flag under turkey Government.

This is the question Erdogan should Answer to Me !?,....In UN you put one Carton vote up or down is not much importance for Israel..
I have see last 2 years 50 resolutions again Israelite and no one gave a ****,sorry for this worlds but true.People like to act they can act proper...not with Hypocrisy.

Any way Albania Politics ( NOT ALBANIAN RELIGION ) has their own strategy of their politics are not same with Turkey with any "Muslim" country in the world.
To be honest if we talk about Politics is better we avoid talk about religion. Albania is in war against Greece - Serbia and likely Macedonia ( now is under Slav occupations ) and no one is Muslim states from this states..But Albania need some support ...ad that Support they got from USA in Kosovo War against Serbia...and not from "Muslim countries"...this is reality too..Pakistan is Muslim country but, do not care even to know who is Albania and who they are ,, they have their own problems like every country in the world..

This is why we do not Mix Religion with Politics...they can not stay together the two parts governmental are separate..
The Governess of politics are for materials.and they are many..
The Governed of God Allah is 1 is for ever a spiritual.

If people like talk Politics please not mix with religions they both have no thing to do together.

If any one calling Albanians Turks they should learn more story , because their ignorance is very dangers game...and to let him know and many people here...Turkish call Albanian it self Arnauts and not Turkish..Turkish always call Albanian- Brave Heart not cowards..
Albanians done their Turkish language...Albanian Create the New Egypt ( Muhammad Ali pasha ) Albanians Save Greece..Albanian
Albania Gave Italy their Prime Misters ( Grispi ) Albanian gave the world Alexander the Great .He has come even to Pakistan and India Alexander the Great...( for many ignorant calling him Greece and some other Macedon .But that time Macedonia was part with Illyriian Albanians not Slaves race did not exist in Balkan.
For this before some one call Albanians Turks do not know what kind of big mistake is doing.

Albanian are much older then many country of the world..is the only Two languages in the world not come from any root..
Albanin and Armenian..all other language has their root coming from an older language.

That's one more then coward i should be offend who called us Turks.
The real cowards are them who write things or talk behind you..
The real Honor people they talk and say things in front face to face if they do not agree..should not talk in newspapers or magazines.and after they come to Albania and haw Erdogan come to Kosovo some days ago and like no thing happens.

To be Honest I will Support Palestine to have their own state in their own territory, but that will not be depend from Albania any way, but from their own people and their own strategy of WAR or Peace..

With respect for every one

Albanian from Dubai.

Who cares about Albania?? Erdogan is trying to regain the Position as Muslim leader like Ottomans and he is successful to a great extent , by criticizing albania, he went one step forward.....

That can be other way around for Palestine Pakistan or Turkey too..From Albanians

But haw i say we do not not mix Muslim with Politics..and we still call population brothers.( always who like to be )

Muslim not going step Forward because Prime Minister or Turkey , Criticizes a Prime Minister of Albanian This is Ridicules..!

That Criticism he can do not in news papers against Albanians but the Facts against Israels..if he has the Bolls.
But Coward are Cowards...when they can not fight to the real point Target the diverse their attentions to some small target.
Learn my Friend more from Politics are so dirty..trust me..or better stay proper OUT >

Back
Top Bottom