What's new

Turkey has 'nothing to learn' from Greece on religious freedoms

-SINAN-

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkish Foreign Ministry released a statement yesterday in response to Greek anger over the possible conversion of Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia Museum into a mosque, saying Turkey had “nothing to learn from Greece concerning matters of freedom of religion.”

The statement said successive Greek governments’ unfavorable treatment of Ottoman era cultural artifacts and places of worship was “well-known by all.”

“Athens is the only European capital with no mosques open for worship despite its Muslim population, which has reached over hundreds of thousands of people,” it said.

The Greek Foreign Ministry expressed its anger recently upon learning that Turkish officials had issue statements on the possible conversion of Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia Museum into a mosque.

Repeated statements from Turkish officials concerning the conversion of Byzantine Christian churches into mosques are insulting to the religious sensibilities of millions of Christians, as well as beingre actions that are anachronistic and incomprehensible, coming from a state that declares it wants to participate as a full member in the European Union, a fundamental principle of which is respect for religious freedom,” the Greek Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Nov. 18.

The statement came days after Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç expressed his hope in seeing Hagia Sophia Museum be used as a mosque, having already called it the “Hagia Sophia Mosque” in speaking to reporters.

The status of Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia has come under increasing scrutiny in recent years, with a number of campaigns to open it for Muslim prayers having already been initiated, despite suggestions that this would be disrespectful to the building’s former life as a church.

POLITICS - Turkey has 'nothing to learn' from Greece on religious freedoms

Another moronic ideea from AKP answered by an hysteric and moronic (as usual) Greece.
While i find the ideea of turning the Hagia Sophia bad,in the end it's Turkey's option altough it's just another sample of what Erdogan wants for the country.Let him do it,nothing to see here,move on.

Another moronic ideea from AKP answered by an hysteric and moronic (as usual) Greece.
While i find the ideea of turning the Hagia Sophia bad,in the end it's Turkey's option altough it's just another sample of what Erdogan wants for the country.Let him do it,nothing to see here,move on.
No, he will not do anything, its the typical agenda of AKP before elections...

No, he will not do anything, its the typical agenda of AKP before elections...

Ah,the old populist card before the elections.Trouble is that Greece is only feeding ammunition with this behaviour,even a moderate turk will get annoyed if it sees Greece interfering in domestic matters of his country.

Ah,the old populist card before the elections.Trouble is that Greece is only feeding ammunition with this behaviour,even a moderate turk will get annoyed if it sees Greece interfering in domestic matters of his country.
Actually its not even that wrong that greeks intervene here, because originally it was a greek church and they want to protect their heritage, its understandable.

But they also destroyed many ottoman mosques in Greece we actually repaired Hagia Sophia last couple years.

Actually its not even that wrong that greeks intervene here, because originally it was a greek church and they want to protect their heritage, its understandable.

But they also destroyed many ottoman mosques in Greece we actually repaired Hagia Sophia last couple years.

Well,first of all it was a mosque for some 450 years,so it's not like it will come as a shock.From what i know,as a museum it's currently the number one place to go in Instanbul for tourists and brings nice revenues.I see no reason to revert it to mosque except for Erdogan to flex his "islamist muscles" yet again but that beeing said we should all see it as a turkish internal matter,and i'm saying this as a orthodox christian.

Anyway,from what i know,Greece has just renovated Ataturk's old house but if i think better,that will not please Erdogan.:lol:

Well,first of all it was a mosque for some 450 years,so it's not like it will come as a shock.From what i know,as a museum it's currently the number one place to go in Instanbul for tourists and brings nice revenues.I see no reason to revert it to mosque except for Erdogan to flex his "islamist muscles" yet again but that beeing said we should all see it as a turkish internal matter,and i'm saying this as a orthodox christian.

Anyway,from what i know,Greece has just renovated Ataturk's old house but if i think better,that will not please Erdogan.:lol:

Mate the issue here is , we would listen complaints from Christian countries but not from Greece.

I mean “Athens is the only European capital with no mosques open for worship despite its Muslim population, which has reached over hundreds of thousands of people,”

Last edited by a moderator:
Says the ones invading countries, oppressing minorities to death

Don't speak too much about Syria too

Mate the issue here is , we would listen complaints from Christian countries but not from Greece.

I mean “Athens is the only European capital with no mosques open for worship despite its Muslim population, which has reached over hundreds of thousands of people,”

if you think about it there is a big difference of not having a mosque or turning a mosque into a church... Now I don't know if Greece ever did turn a mosque into church, but that quote says that Athens doesn't... so you can't combine the two situations together...

and don't forget that Turkey has the two kidnapped Syrian bishops, one is Greek Orthodox...

if you think about it there is a big difference of not having a mosque or turning a mosque into a church... Now I don't know if Greece ever did turn a mosque into church, but that quote says that Athens doesn't... so you can't combine the two situations together...

This is about freedom of religion and clearly Greeks obstruct the muslim community in their country.

and don't forget that Turkey has the two kidnapped Syrian bishops, one is Greek Orthodox...

I don't think what you said is true.

This is about freedom of religion and clearly Greeks obstruct the muslim community in their country.

I don't think what you said is true.

there are mosques in Greece mostly in Thrace...

and yes the kidnappers of the two bishops are in connection with AKP, AKP has a direct influence on them...

there are mosques in Greece mostly in Thrace...

and yes the kidnappers of the two bishops are in connection with AKP, AKP has a direct influence on them...

Dude ,this is about religious freedom and the fact that Athens with a big muslim community doesn't have a single mosque.Per contrast,Bucharest,the capital of another orthodox majority country has 4 mosques,one of them was built entirely out of state money,because that's what modern states do for their minorities.And,believe me,Bucharest has a far smaller muslim community than Athens. ;)

UPDATE

I found some numbers:

Athens=around 300.000 muslims(estimated)
Bucharest=around 20.000 ,with 10.000 of them being romanian citizxens + 10.000 estimated foreign students,business men,political refugees.

UPDATE 2 (sry,i just became interested in the subject and digged up facts)

There are advanced talks between the mayors of Bucharest and Ankara for the building of a new mosque in Bucharest while in reciprocity a new church will be built in Ankara.

link(in romanian) Sorin Oprescu a discutat cu primarul Ankarei despre construirea unei moschei la Bucureşti

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom