What's new

Turkey could join Shanghai bloc: President Erdoğan

"Turkey must feel at ease. It mustn't say 'for me it's the European Union at all costs'. That's my view," Erdoğan says while telling reporters on his plane on the way back from a visit to Pakistan and Uzbekistan.

BTW I observe one thing, plz bear me I am not drawing any Relevance, Conclusion, or Connection its just an interesting observation

We become full member of SCO this year (date: 24th June, 2016) ....
http://www.radio.gov.pk/24-Jun-2016/sco-to-grant-full-membership-to-pakistan-today
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1129845/pakistan-becomes-full-member-sco/
http://indianexpress.com/article/wo...joins-sco-as-full-member-at-tashkent-2875304/

Our President Mamnoon Hussain Visited Turkey in April this year (13th April, 2016 link: https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pakistan/president-mamnoon-leaves-for-turkey-on-three-day-visit/) to attend OIC summit, during the visit he invited President Erdogan who has just finished his recent visit of Pakistan two or three days back & we here in Pakistan were trying to know the agenda of his visit any thing substantial anything which should matter, but officially there was nothing meaningful on the agenda, but the preparation for this visit at Pakistani side was extra ordinary, even the third time address of President Erdogan to our Parliament is something we have no matching example in our history.

Before this year visit our President visited Turkey in 2015 as well (Dated: 22nd April, 2015) upon the invitation of President of Turkey Tayyip Erdogan.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif also visited Turkey in the year 2015 (03rd April, 2015) & 2016 (14th May, 2016)

http://www.dawn.com/news/1173613
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1103414/pm-nawaz-attends-turkey-presidents-daughter-wedding-in-istanbul/

Failed coup in Turkey also occurred this year (date: 15th July, 2016)

This recent visit of President Erdogan was his First visit to Pakistan after that failed coup attempt & this is what he said after the visit ... it is just an interesting observation nothing else ....

He 's just joking.
What he does in all his career is to embrace Nato and EU.

There is nothing to keep an eye on. The SCO is nothing like NATO.

Anyway, India has been approved as an SCO member, and they will already tell the USA everything they need to know.

Good, mate.

We cant become a member of another security bloc! But is SCO really a security bloc?

No, definitely not.

SCO is just a loose club for Agriculture.

Last edited:
Well if a SCO membership will bring a better dialogue with Russia and China regarding Syria and Uyghur problems then why not?
What i dont like is Erdogan trying to show SCO as an alternative to NATO which are something completely different, playing with those every once a while will damage the reputation and credibility of ones words.
It is not about NATO it is about the EU!

Actually Erdogan has been nagging about SCO for a long time now it isn't anything new, he said it in 2013 some funny video's on it in the St.Petersburg summit and has said it before that, Russian diplomats have been joking about it since 2007 calling the EU a capricious bride that will never ever take in the groom Turkey or Russia but also needs both to be under the influence of..

Turkey is a little problematic for both Russia and China, for Russia the population is in decline, and there are a lot of Turkic parts that can be influenced in the future to carve it up. For china, it doesn't need Turks dictating or limiting its actions against the Uighurs which occupy a nice piece of land, the loss of which would be costly.

On the other hand, Turkish population is increasing along with its influence be that towards Africa, Middle East or Central Asia, and whichever pact has a say on the area that Turkey geographically occupies will always be better off than the pact that doesn't (most energy corridors run via it). And this would be an ideal move to stick it up both NATO and EU in one simple move.

Another good question is NATO. Would the US (UK,France, Germany...) let Turkey leave peacefully without starting WW3 over it? or not, as Turkey leaving will be the end of NATO completely, making most areas of interest to NATO inaccessible.

So it is a tough decision...

But Turkey has the option to head for the Russian Eurasian Economic Union, I think Armenia could be counter balanced by all others in this Union being pro-Turkey. It could morph the Turkic Council further into a Turkic Economic Union of sorts, it could go further into the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, or it could try to form a global alternative to all with Africa, S. America, Middle East countries that don't fit either. Perhaps it will try all.

Actually Erdogan has been nagging about SCO for a long time now it isn't anything new, he said it in 2013 some funny video's on it in the St.Petersburg summit and has said it before that, Russian diplomats have been joking about it since 2007 calling the EU a capricious bride that will never ever take in the groom Turkey or Russia but also needs both to be under the influence of..

Turkey is a little problematic for both Russia and China, for Russia the population is in decline, and there are a lot of Turkic parts that can be influenced in the future to carve it up. For china, it doesn't need Turks dictating or limiting its actions against the Uighurs which occupy a nice piece of land, the loss of which would be costly.

On the other hand, Turkish population is increasing along with its influence be that towards Africa, Middle East or Central Asia, and whichever pact has a say on the area that Turkey geographically occupies will always be better off than the pact that doesn't (most energy corridors run via it). And this would be an ideal move to stick it up both NATO and EU in one simple move.

Another good question is NATO. Would the US (UK,France, Germany...) let Turkey leave peacefully without starting WW3 over it? or not, as Turkey leaving will be the end of NATO completely, making most areas of interest to NATO inaccessible.

So it is a tough decision...

But Turkey has the option to head for the Russian Eurasian Economic Union, I think Armenia could be counter balanced by all others in this Union being pro-Turkey. It could morph the Turkic Council further into a Turkic Economic Union of sorts, it could go further into the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, or it could try to form a global alternative to all with Africa, S. America, Middle East countries that don't fit either. Perhaps it will try all.
Just type these following words into Google search "Turkey out of NATO" and see how many western Articles on it.
I feel the elites of NATO do not want Turkey in this organization in the long term, they'd certainly not want to start any war over us leaving it.

Just type these following words into Google search "Turkey out of NATO" and see how many western Articles on it.
I feel the elites of NATO do not want Turkey in this organization in the long term, they'd certainly not want to start any war over us leaving it.

Do you think they will have ANY choice on whether the Turkish public wants to be in NATO or not? I don't.

Of course they don't want Turkey out of NATO,
- Turkey makes up ~1/6 or 1/7th of NATO military,
- NATO is active in Central Asia, Africa, East Europe, Middle East... now imagine Turkey going non-friendly...
- and then there is the benefit of cost, "1 US soldier roughly costs 6500 USD a Turkish soldier costs 235 USD" is a quote from "54.. that is 27 soldiers for the price of one (I do have source link for this but cant post links on this site 'yet'), if this held true in "50's, "60's, "70's how much does a conscripted Turkish soldier cost these days? (in ratio to the cost of a US soldier) (per month, and to equip).

NATO has been a useless alliance for Turkey since the fall of communism in Russia. If it wasn't then Turkey-Russia relations would never have developed at all.

As to starting a war, well, who knows.. will they accept that their loss, and come to terms with the fact that they can't do anything more in the areas that NATO is interested in? or the loss in control of energy corridors? With the amount of crazies in the west, they'd probably go to war, they've gone to war for far less..

Last edited:
Do you think they will have ANY choice on whether the Turkish public wants to be in NATO or not? I don't.

Of course they don't want Turkey out of NATO,
- Turkey makes up ~1/6 or 1/7th of NATO military,
- NATO is active in Central Asia, Africa, East Europe, Middle East... now imagine Turkey going non-friendly...
- and then there is the benefit of cost, "1 US soldier roughly costs 6500 USD a Turkish soldier costs 235 USD" is a quote from "54.. that is 27 soldiers for the price of one (I do have source link for this but cant post links on this site 'yet'), if this held true in "50's, "60's, "70's how much does a conscripted Turkish soldier cost these days? (in ratio to the cost of a US soldier) (per month, and to equip).

NATO has been a useless alliance for Turkey since the fall of communism in Russia. If it wasn't then Turkey-Russia relations would never have developed at all.

As to starting a war, well, who knows.. will they accept that their loss, and come to terms with the fact that they can't do anything more in the areas that NATO is interested in? or the loss in control of energy corridors? With the amount of crazies in the west, they'd probably go to war, they've gone to war for far less..
There're a lot of "Get Turkey out of NATO" type articles written by westerners in recent years. And we know most of these are written by the elites of the west.
I think we will eventually leave , when and how, i don't know. just my gut feeling.
Just don't see the westerners starting any wars over it. they might of course fund terrorism, coups and what have you, but that is a given. We shall see I suppose.

There're a lot of "Get Turkey out of NATO" type articles written by westerners in recent years. And we know most of these are written by the elites of the west.
I think we will eventually leave , when and how, i don't know. just my gut feeling.
Just don't see the westerners starting any wars over it. they might of course fund terrorism, coups and what have you, but that is a given. We shall see I suppose.

Remember "America’s Nukes Aren’t Safe in Turkey Anymore", "How Safe Are US Nuclear Weapons in Turkey?" immediately after the coup attempt? This was an example text-book preliminary footwork to 'intervene' in Turkey by inventing such news... but no one took a bite at that bait so they failed.

They'll invent some non-existent problem and try to put soldiers on the ground and find out that Turkey isn't a small country with a non-existent military i.e. the enemy they are used to fighting.

p.s. there are articles on what will happen if Turkey leaves NATO, can't remember in what language I read them in. (English, or Russian)

Remember "America’s Nukes Aren’t Safe in Turkey Anymore", "How Safe Are US Nuclear Weapons in Turkey?" immediately after the coup attempt? This was an example text-book preliminary footwork to 'intervene' in Turkey by inventing such news... but no one took a bite at that bait so they failed.

They'll invent some non-existent problem and try to put soldiers on the ground and find out that Turkey isn't a small country with a non-existent military i.e. the enemy they are used to fighting.

p.s. there are articles on what will happen if Turkey leaves NATO, can't remember in what language I read them in. (English, or Russian)
Id' be interested to read that article if you can find it. (Not in Russian though lol).
NATO will quickly realise we are united against the common enemy,.just like thousands of years ago. We are here to stay.

We forget one thing, EU will never accept Turkey as a member state of the EU. This because Turkey is a islamic country (population). Years they interfere and make decisions about our internal politics. This effects our independency and development. When Turkey starts to act independent and making progress on development, you will see that the EU uses immidiatly their negatieve rapports about Turkey and threaten with embargo's.

The EU is a hypocrite anti-democratic organisation that using terrorist organisations like the PKK to keep Turkey in struggle.

And also joining the NATO was nothing about avoiding the communist threat. NATO has no role anymore.

If Turkey would be a nuklear power ( i mean if it has some nuklear missiles. Not many! May be 15-20) , than i agree to be a fully independent country and be an observer in all pacts (eu, nato, sco , africa union, even nafta and safta lol.... ).

We need a nukleer umbrella and air defence protection basicly. If we go out from western unions with a sudden anger, it means we be out of umbrellas. We cant depend on russia's or china's nuke umbrella.. and sco is not that kind of pact either.

So, have a nukleer missiles first. Thus, be an equal partner and power in every kind of relation . Than attend to where you want or not..

LOL Just political posturing, we have heard that several times in the past from Erdogan.
So nothing new and surprising about this. Many politicians around the world often do this for political reasons to be honest. :)

LOL Just political posturing, we have heard that several times in the past from Erdogan.
So nothing new and surprising about this. Many politicians around the world often do this for political reasons to be honest. :)
Yeah, i think the same. However i also think that joining SCO should also be considered/evaluated.

How much are we going to lose from ending the ascension talks with EU.
How much are we going to gain from joining SCO.

If it's going to be beneficial to Turkey, then why not ?

Out of Nato? I don't think that this will happen so fast.. I belive that a war could happen or better said will happen some day..

But we won't quit NATO just on a whim because we benefit of it.. And they need us, but don't forget, Saddam may also thought they need him or turkey would never sell him out and destroy it's economy.. But our stupidos did it and we also suffered and this could be done by eu and Us Specially when they will have another option another puppet and they are forming this puppets right now!

I am against eu for turkey it's impossible to join the Christian club in its current state.. First you have to throw Islam away make Ayasofya a church again than you can have less than 20% Muslims in turkey maybe it would be a problem to have 20 % Muslims in country to join a. Christian club.. Also changing turkey to byzantine could help because the name Turk is a no go in Eu..

Better get good relations with s. America with Japan, Korea and Russia and China and don't forget the Arabs they may have big problems but they have money.. We should think about our interests..

Sco could be good for us in some way But it could also be destabilize us more.. But being alone would make us a good prey foe all sides..

Maybe we need some Chinese a.-bombs on a Chinese air base in turkey.. That shock on their faces would be great to look at..

Back
Top Bottom