What's new

Turkey could join Shanghai bloc: President Erdoğan

Sir I am not expert of Turkish history or politics .... all I can say I wish all the success for Turkey & its people ....
We're doin' it for to success :)

SCO is not a security/military bloc in the way that NATO is.

It's more of a cooperation organization based around Central Asia as the geographical focus point. Energy security, anti-terrorism, border security, economic cooperation in the region.

So NATO members can join it, though the USA's application was rejected a while back. Other NATO members can join.
Like European Union with some military ingrediant in it.

What?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
When?

In 2005 apparently. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Cooperation_Organisation

The United States applied for observer status in the SCO, but was rejected in 2005.

All SCO members have veto power so it could have been China/Russia or any of the Central Asian countries that torpedoed the USA's application.

But I doubt anyone will oppose Turkey's application, they already have a lot of influence in Central Asia and friendly ties with China/Russia (recently at least). It makes perfect sense for Turkey to join an organization that is focused on Central Asia.

The United States applied for observer status

Observer status is basically the first step before full membership, all other entrants to the SCO first needed to have observer status before they could apply for full membership.

Turkey has a good reason to join the SCO, since Central Asian nations are mostly Turkic nations.

America though, well. Not so much. Not that I particularly minded myself, I like the idea of cooperating with everyone. Even the USA.
Well if a SCO membership will bring a better dialogue with Russia and China regarding Syria and Uyghur problems then why not?
What i dont like is Erdogan trying to show SCO as an alternative to NATO which are something completely different, playing with those every once a while will damage the reputation and credibility of ones words.

Well if a SCO membership will bring a better dialogue with Russia and China regarding Syria and Uyghur problems then why not?
What i dont like is Erdogan trying to show SCO as an alternative to NATO which are something completely different, playing with those every once a while will damage the reputation and credibility of ones words.

You are right the SCO is nothing like NATO. It's a cooperation organization.

As for Erdogan, well that is Turkey's own internal affairs, I can't really comment on that much. The citizens of Turkey are the only ones who can decide that.

Improved relations between Turkey-China-Russia are very much welcome of course. I really hope this trend will continue in the future.

You are right the SCO is nothing like NATO. It's a cooperation organization.

As for Erdogan well that is Turkey's own internal affairs, I can't really comment on that much.

Improved relations between Turkey-China-Russia are very much welcome of course. I really hope this trend will continue in the future.
Indeed, Turkey cant just stick to one side, it needs to diversify its relations without damaging more relations.
The frustration is big amongst Turks who face many accusations from Europe while pkk is using their continent like a big cash pot, recruiting place and lobbying center which result in terror and destruction in SE Turkey for decades now.
European countries dont really show a serious effort in stopping pkk activities but makes an outcry when pkk leaders get assasinated on their soil, the decades long alliance with west didnt change anything about those ground realities so diversifying the relations is only welcome for me.

But still i dont think one can replace the other, this is realpolitik and we need to find a middleground that suits our interest best which clearly isnt to be one sided as history showed us.

What will happen to the East Turkestan movement, then?

Observer status is basically the first step before full membership, all other entrants to the SCO first needed to have observer status before they could apply for full membership.

With respect; I think that the United States were probably going to use this Observer status to keep an eye on their competition.

With respect, I think that the United States were probably going to use this Observer status to keep an eye on their competition.

There is nothing to keep an eye on. The SCO is nothing like NATO.

Anyway, India has been approved as an SCO member, and they will already tell the USA everything they need to know.

Back
Top Bottom